Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > How'd you get interested in Spyro and DarkSpyro?
Page 1 of 1
How'd you get interested in Spyro and DarkSpyro? [CLOSED]
Ross Gold Sparx Gems: 2159
#1 Posted: 15:45:13 25/08/2007 | Topic Creator
Answering the title is all that's needed.

Summer 2002/03 (I can't remember which) I went round my cousins, played like I do for a bit, not knowing at all about anything to do with Spyro or Crash, and was, as ever, ashamed to be leaving after a bit of doing stuff non-Spyro/Crash. And so god bless that I stalled. Whilst stalling, my cousin's friend came round and when I walked into the living room, they were on the PS2 playing with some purple horned creature (I thought it was too small for a dragon)underwater(so I thought it was a fish). I walked up and said "Whatcha playing?" and the reply was "Spyro."

I sat down with them. After a bit of watching them doing cool things, opening the Atlas to see the words "Seashell Shore", I asked if I could have a quick turn because my mum was getting annoyed. They accepted, and so "WOW, the control! It's phenomenal! It's so cool and it's great how you can move everywhere!" (Obviously I didn't say that, not knowing control had to do with controlling and never knowing phenomenal.) And so I played until my mum yelled and it was then that I left... slowly.

Christmas that year, recieved YotD and really wanted to play it, but, after all, it was Christmas.

As for DarkSpyro, I was looking for help of YotD, kept on googling, kept on ending up on Dark's guide, and so got interested in GameFAQs, then after a few re-reads of the guide, found the URL for DarkSpyro.
---
"My life is meaningless now that my blue line is incomplete" - Quoting Me. It's not random, there is a story behind saying that.
zacoda1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1121
#2 Posted: 15:58:47 25/08/2007
My first game was yotd and so i got it when i got my ps2 i looked over the games i got the first one i put in was spyro then.....smilie
---
The ones with the greatest courage...Tested by All might and will...Will traverse A Farly advanced Obstacle....The test of life...
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#3 Posted: 16:12:58 25/08/2007
Spyro... I bought a PSX and Spyro the Dragon was the first game I got.

DarkSpyro... I was searching for a Spyro Forum... and this was the first result. >.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
SpyroxEmber Red Sparx Gems: 70
#4 Posted: 17:31:37 25/08/2007
Spyro had been around my house ever since I was 5. (when it first came out)

My mom picked it up through a 'buy one get one free' deal at Toys R Us and my brother always played it. I always wathed him. The speedways were my favorite. Especially when he had to jump on those stones in the waterfall's pond to open it up. I loved that. xD

Anyway, eventually, I got to playing it myself and I had a lot of fun, so I've been playing it ever since.

As for finding darkSpyro.net, a lot of my friends on spyroforum.com and dragonsden.ipbfree.com told me about it. And I'm pretty sure I've seen a link to it from another website, also. I think on the Neo forums.
---
"Y'know I'm gonna be out saving the world anyway." - Spyro (AHT)
darkSpyro.net rocks!
Visit www.dragonsden.ipbfree.com
emberelora Emerald Sparx Gems: 3059
#5 Posted: 17:35:31 25/08/2007
a couple of years ago my step sister's dad got her a ps1, and YOTD for christmas. she let me play it and i was over the moon. i got so addicted to it. And here i am now.
---
"This is the most musically inclined situation I've ever found myself in and I've played guitar hero!"
Pyro girl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1752
#6 Posted: 17:48:44 25/08/2007
I have a wee story here

Ok one day when I was in Primary four, my uncle John was playing about with his PSX, when I looked at the screen and saw a little purple dragon running around in a beautiful setting. "What's that?" I asked in wonderment "Spyro" Spyro... I thought as I watched Spyro run around flaming green things that he called a Gnorc. (He never even gave me a shot smilie)

Two weeks later, I was out with my Mum and we just entered BlockBusters video shop. I decides to take a wee look at the PSX games rent when I saw "Spyro the Dragon" on the top shelf "Mum! Mum! Can I rent this one?" I asked my Mum, who then took it off the shelf and to the counter and as soon as I booted up that game, I thought Spyro was the most amazing game I ever played smiliesmiliesmilie And a month later, I bought "Spyro the Dragon" out a game shop and I have been a Spyro fan ever since!!!

As for DarkSpyro, I was posting on Neoseeker and decided to check out the websites section, saw "darkSpyro" hyperlink, clicked on it and registered five minutes later smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
---
Kakarot, I think I'm going to puke ~Vegeta
Live Long and Prosper ~ Mr. Spock
I'm stupid, I'm Stupid ~ Starscream
RedWelshDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1250
#7 Posted: 18:16:22 25/08/2007
I started playing spyro as soon as I got my first PS. Basically my GTG game was glitchy (broken) so I ran round and round and round Summer Forest homeworld and killed all the frogs again and again and again until I had 99 lives. When I got the unglitched disk I was totally addicted! Weird, huh?

Um, I found the site during the Winter of 2006 (Christmas holidays). I can't believe I am admitting this smilie but I first found this site when I was looking for help with ANB. I was being a total muppet! Go ahead, laugh.
---
College is a refuge from hasty judgement.

Definition of a college lecturer: someone who talks in other peoples sleep.
Ross Gold Sparx Gems: 2159
#8 Posted: 18:40:02 25/08/2007 | Topic Creator
Quote: Pyro girl
As for DarkSpyro, I was posting on Neoseeker and decided to check out the websites section, saw "darkSpyro" hyperlink, clicked on it and registered five minutes later smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

Five minutes? I registered after a day LOL.
---
"My life is meaningless now that my blue line is incomplete" - Quoting Me. It's not random, there is a story behind saying that.
#9 Posted: 19:07:07 25/08/2007
I think I registered after a couple of days. I was only a guest before that. Hence the WelshDragon, RedWelshDragon confusal.
---

Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#10 Posted: 00:33:44 26/08/2007
When the original game came out, I (being the giant nerd that I am) was instantly drawn to it because it was all about dragons. And it was so trippy! All those colors... My friend had a demo of the first few levels in the Artisan world and I just fell in love. I bought a PSOne just to play Spyro and I was more or less hooked ever since.

I lost track of the series after Insomniac stopped making the games. I would never have picked up ANB (I'd heard it was a terrible game) but on a site I shall not name someone was talking about Cynder. Out of curiosity, I took a look at the pictures posted and was instantly drawn to her. So I did some research, saw a few cutscenes, and the obsession just picked back up. I bought ANB, played it a couple of times and, well...here I am. smilie

I found DarkSpyro on a desperate search for Cynder images and decided to get involved more in the fandom (which I'd never really been in back in the day).
emberelora Emerald Sparx Gems: 3059
#11 Posted: 16:11:05 26/08/2007
here's how i got into dark spyro:

a few days ago i was making spyro posters for my room. i went onto google to look for some pictures and i saw a japanese version of the spyro 2 cover. and the website underneath was www.darkspyro.net. i clicked on it, saw you could be a member and voila! i am now here.
---
"This is the most musically inclined situation I've ever found myself in and I've played guitar hero!"
cab Fodder
#12 Posted: 00:09:35 05/10/2007
i got interested in spyro when my sis bought the 2nd one for me. ive loved it ever since.
ThatsSoRaven Yellow Sparx Gems: 1166
#13 Posted: 01:18:31 05/10/2007
I got interested in Spyro ever since my sister got Attack of the Rhynocs, it was the first Spyro game I ever played, and I loved it. And when I noticed this site, it was perfect for me to spread things about Spyro and other stuff I like. So that is how I got interested in Spyro and darkSpyro.
---
"We'll be right back after these messages from Binford Tools." Tim "the Toolman Taylor" or Al "Insert insulting middle name here" Borland
Zerodius Yellow Sparx Gems: 1194
#14 Posted: 02:25:14 05/10/2007
Myself...

Back when Spyro was released, I did not have a Playstation and saw little need for one. The first three Spyro games, let us face it, were pretty great for Playstation platformers... but paled in comparison with Mario 64, the two Banjo games, and Donkey Kong 64. Furthermore, as I had tried FF7 and FF8 on the computer and was less than impressed (especially by the former), I never quite got into buying a Playstation.

Now, years later, when they begun releasing Spyro games on the GBA, I tried them out for the first time... and well, I was totally disappointed by the collect-a-thon gameplay and dismissed the Spyro serie as overhyped.

So, ironically enough, I actually got into the serie only when they released A Hero's Tail. I remembered the first three Spyro games and as I had conquered almost every good Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox game worth a look, I decided to try it.

I never regretted it.

Spyro 6 (A New Beginning) only confirmed my like for the serie. Sure, the serie is stomped flat by Mario, Metroid, Shadow Hearts, and other "ubers" but as far as games go, the later Spyro games are actually quite enjoyable.

A little note here: I also got to experience the first Spyro games years later thanks to the PS2's ability to run PS1 games... and well, unfortunately, they proven to be uninteresting mostly as they are, like the GBA games, collect-a-thons. They are definitely superior but after being exposed to Spyro 5's and 6's meatier gameplay, the first games feel shallow, empty, and full of artificial gameplay extensions (read: gimmicks such as forcing you to get every single gem until you can get the boss door opened... which wouldn't be a problem if those were goal-driven collectibles, not Mario coin-like random items).

So, well, that's my experience with the serie.

As for darkspyro...

Well, I first came to spyroforums, wishing to speak about the fandom and the games of Spyro. Unfortunately, no offense but the board disappointed me. It was full of people who just whined all day about the later Spyro games and moaned about how Insomniac Games should retake the serie and how the older games were sooooo much better. I still wonder to this day if they ever played any Spyro game excluding the three originals considering how close-minded they are about all of the sequels. But well, long story short, I ended up in an argument about the old Spyro games' quality, the quality of some consoles (PSP... does ANYONE use it for its games? Non-emulated, I mean?), and eventually, it became obvious that I just didn't fit and I left.

So, since then, I searched for a new forum where the players would be more open about the newer games... and found this little site. At first, I didn't notice the forums ; I was just there for the rather impressive amount of infos, considering this is a fan-site.

... and after clicking the "Forum" link, I discovered the darkspyro forum and have liked being here since then.

So, there, how I got here.

Dunno if anyone will read this but well, here goes.

Have a nice day.
EternalSpyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#15 Posted: 02:30:00 05/10/2007
I did read it. 2 reasons:

1. Because it looked interesting to read, and it was
2. Because I was bored
---
As the Night of Eternal Darkness apporaches, Spyro is haunted by .... Maps of the U.S. and Canada, and traffic capability for just $216.76 from Amazon.com
Rexy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1313
#16 Posted: 08:36:33 05/10/2007
Everyone knows that I've followed Spyro since the first game's announcement at E3 1998 and since then I've collected most of the games in the series (bar Shadow Legacy and the GBA version of A New Beginning).

As for darkspyro, since I got into ANB and thus became more active in the Spyro fan community, I tend to end up browsing around to see what I can find. I first used darkspyro as a good place for its images, thanks to its extensive gallery and whatnot, and it really helped me when going through some of my artistic endeavours. I knew there was a forum, but since I was already active at spyroforum and the Sierra community forums at the time I thought there may not be much of a point to chip into another place.

Alas, I actually posted in a few announcements as a guest, and then I knew that I HAD to register to make myself not look like a guest anymore. So there we go.
dragmundis Platinum Sparx Gems: 5047
#17 Posted: 14:37:37 05/10/2007
The first time I played spyro was when I played the demo version of spyro the dragon. That's when I got so hooked into the game, I brought the original.
the doctor Yellow Sparx Gems: 1617
#18 Posted: 17:38:20 05/10/2007
ok-
when i was 6, or was it 7.... anyway my uncle got me spyro the dragon and i thought 'omg i bet this game is rubbish.' so i went on it to make my uncle happy that i liked it and that, and eventually i got into it... but then not long after they made spyro- etd, i got out of it. but upon hearing anew game coming out-LOS, AND- i went back to the games, liking AHT and then loving ANB, so hence the spyro love...
and it was LOS that made me find this website... it was funny because she was on it while i was round at hers and i said 'i wanna go on there' but she wouldnt let me, so i sneaked on here, making my cheesy name, and here i am today... and she still doesnt want me on here lol
---
A moment can last for seconds,
But a memory can last forever...
EternalSpyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#19 Posted: 17:45:52 05/10/2007
Quote: the doctor
ok-
when i was 6, or was it 7.... anyway my uncle got me spyro the dragon and i thought 'omg i bet this game is rubbish.' so i went on it to make my uncle happy that i liked it and that, and eventually i got into it... but then not long after they made spyro- etd, i got out of it. but upon hearing anew game coming out-LOS, AND- i went back to the games, liking AHT and then loving ANB, so hence the spyro love...
and it was LOS that made me find this website... it was funny because she was on it while i was round at hers and i said 'i wanna go on there' but she wouldnt let me, so i sneaked on here, making my cheesy name, and here i am today... and she still doesnt want me on here lol

Buying ANB the day after my birthday made me find this website too smilie
---
As the Night of Eternal Darkness apporaches, Spyro is haunted by .... Maps of the U.S. and Canada, and traffic capability for just $216.76 from Amazon.com
#20 Posted: 17:47:17 05/10/2007
I still can't believe I had to have HELP with ANB... I was having a bad day I tell you!
---

HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#21 Posted: 20:18:39 05/10/2007
Don't beat yourself up for it. It happens to everyone. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#22 Posted: 20:30:36 05/10/2007
smilie Hey were you actually nice to me? Now that is probably a first!
---

Brazilian Spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3675
#23 Posted: 00:43:21 06/10/2007
1999, Sep. 28 my brother and my cousin were looking in a magazine a trick to play a demo on crash 3, they used it and i was just watching like a happy kid, when they turned off the PSOne, i turned it on instantly, and tried, that was a great experience. then, my dad gave me spyro1, and i was a great noob, and everytime had to beg help to my brother, one year later i received spyro2 and 3, and was still searching for a fourth game

2004, Jun, 12. i had a ps2 (and still have) and finally discovered "spyro4" ( even if AHT isnt spyro four) and played for 2 years, and found the true spyro 4 (ETD) and played, and started to download gba games of spyro

2006, Apr, 21, found in a brazilian site when i was searching for details to spyro ANB, and found darkspyro.net

2007, Now. here i am
---
K-Tec, my blog about technology and Royal Bounty, my story about assassins.
Sophia_S_ M Blue Sparx Gems: 997
#24 Posted: 01:02:25 06/10/2007
in December of 2004(look,love of spyro was my x-mas gift smilie,no i only meet spyro next to december 31 ¬¬) i was playing with my new frinds,Bruno and Victor,and they have a ps2.After we played digimon rumble arena 2 and other games i find a game with a purple dragon in it(spyro a hero's tail).We played and in one week we was in the end of the game(in stormy beach),but they changed of city and go to londrina(nad they never returned T-T).After this,i searched and searched for the game to finish this,enter in a lot of websites,but nothing.But something happened in the next year:i discovered dragons and bandicoots,a very nice site in portuguese with information of the games of spyro and crash.By the site,i discovered the spyro website,spyro shadow legacy and the other games.After 1 year,i was sad.I don't find any spyro games in shops and my brother don't helped.But,one day,i discovered Anb!I searched in some shops of games and find the game!

But i really don't remember how i find darkspyro.net after this o.o'
---
"Oh Brother."-smilie,TEN
lunyathedragon.deviantart.com
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#25 Posted: 20:18:03 07/10/2007
When I was about 7 years old I got I got a PS1 and got Spyro the Dragon with it and been a fan since then lol

And I found DarkSpyro on Somebodies link on Youtube : p
spyro_lover17 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1398
#26 Posted: 03:19:19 08/10/2007
I remember well the Christmas of 2000 I got 3 Spyro games and a PS1 i wasen't sure what they were at the time so i tryed them out and I loved them. 2 year later after i had beat all 3 games i sold my PS1 and games. Then 3 years later i went to the game store and i saw 2 Spyro games on display. I thought ive seen these games before so i took a copy of both because the game store guy said they were good. After that i hooked on Spyro games and everything Spyro I went back a bought the 3 first Spyro games and ive been in love ever since
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me