Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Is Piracy Ethical?
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#1 Posted: 16:06:23 02/12/2022 | Topic Creator
Tbh the mental gymnastics to justify pirating media is funny. I'm not judging people or trying to feel morally superior but c'mon we know the real reason why you torrent
#2 Posted: 16:11:48 02/12/2022 | Topic Creator
I say this while browsing textbooks online
skylandersfan60 Gold Sparx Gems: 2364
#3 Posted: 20:33:48 02/12/2022
I think this debate changes radically depending on if you're from the US or not. Piracy is a victimless crime, as 99% of pirates are broke Russians/Brazilians/etc who would have no access to that content in the first place. That's not to say it's wrong to pirate if you're poor and from the US too, it's just a smaller demographic. I torrent because I'm broke and things are expensive in my country (or b&), I've genuinely never cared about if it's ethically or morally correct, It's just always been the norm. I think it definitely can be ethically dubious if you have a decent amount of money and pirate, though this is rare as pirating tends to involve 57650 hoops to jump through. The only people I've met like that are people who previously lived in a country where piracy was the default (i.e China).

If it's retro stuff though then the most morally correct thing is to pirate it. Don't support the current retro market.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#4 Posted: 13:53:34 03/12/2022
yeah when a singular console game is 1/3 of a month's salary, or you can get it pirated at the street market for a dollar, the choice is quite clear.

Don't pirate the 10 bucks indie game that desperately needs it, good lord, it's not a free sample if you never actually pay for it.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3900
#5 Posted: 18:30:18 05/12/2022
yes its ethical

[User Posted Image]

obviously theres nuance to it but i think in an ideal world yes
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
#6 Posted: 21:10:00 05/12/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: skylandersfan60
I think this debate changes radically depending on if you're from the US or not. Piracy is a victimless crime, as 99% of pirates are broke Russians/Brazilians/etc who would have no access to that content in the first place. That's not to say it's wrong to pirate if you're poor and from the US too, it's just a smaller demographic. I torrent because I'm broke and things are expensive in my country (or b&), I've genuinely never cared about if it's ethically or morally correct, It's just always been the norm. I think it definitely can be ethically dubious if you have a decent amount of money and pirate, though this is rare as pirating tends to involve 57650 hoops to jump through. The only people I've met like that are people who previously lived in a country where piracy was the default (i.e China).

If it's retro stuff though then the most morally correct thing is to pirate it. Don't support the current retro market.

Yeah pirating really is victimless. It's kinda like not putting the groceries back to it's original spot in a store. Nobody really gets hurt if it isn't put back. As for retro games. Yeah it's pretty annoying having to jump through hoops of outrageous prices for pokemon box. Tbh tho I never cared either about rather pirating was bad or not. But most of the time the argument is really just self interest because it's not like video games are a necessity like text books for a class

Quote: Bifrost
yeah when a singular console game is 1/3 of a month's salary, or you can get it pirated at the street market for a dollar, the choice is quite clear.

Don't pirate the 10 bucks indie game that desperately needs it, good lord, it's not a free sample if you never actually pay for it.

This might be a country inflation thing but if a game costs 1/3rd of your monthly salary. Youre probably living paycheck to paycheck or with someone else.
Eh pirating a 10 dollar indie game isnt really gonna do much. If you were willing to pirate it's not like you were gonna buy it in the first place. Like I don't really see the difference between stealing an indie game and a aaa game. Theoretically if people didn't pirate aaa studios are more likely to hire more people for their teams benefiting more people. Plus indie companies make more from profit margins than big companies if their game makes the same amount of sales as aaa games. Although tbh pirated indie games is actually good because it leads to exposure. Like if your game was so good that people are willing to steal it means a lot . Minecraft for example was heavily pirated in the beginning
LeewweewoowheeH Gold Sparx Gems: 2336
#7 Posted: 23:05:36 05/12/2022
i say just do what you want when i put stuff out i fully expect people to pirate it it dont bother me i get it i do it too why not
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me