Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Are children smart
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#1 Posted: 06:23:55 01/09/2022 | Topic Creator
I was pondering about this today and it made me realize that my opinion on this subject changed. I feel like that thinking children are and can be just as smart as adults is a thought a lot of the younger generation has or very optimistic people. I use to think so too when I was younger and more angsty and an pseudo intellectual

But then when I got older I kinda realized a lot of kids kinda lack general awareness. Like sure there are smart kiss but actual smart kids are an anomaly. But most kids lack the general problem solving skills to actually function as their entire life at that point is being in school and learning. I genuinely believe that people only say a kids are smart because they self insert themselves in the children's shoes. That and also because kids literally have underdeveloped brains.

I also feel like way too many people mold their entire world view on them being the smart one which starts in elementary school who could have done better if they tried
LeewweewoowheeH Gold Sparx Gems: 2351
#2 Posted: 07:41:50 01/09/2022
that is fair but i actually knew some genuinely smart kids... i also know some genuinely stupid kids so instead of worrying too much about personal attachment or self insertion we will turn toooo......................................... SCIENCE!!

so adolescence brains are scientifically undergoing development and so they cannot be as mentally matured or functioning as most adults the end of brain development agreed upon by most experts is actually the age of 25 so if your under that number hold ooooon just a moment your brain is probably still developing too. MINE SURE WAS

it still is come on

smart? intelligent? theyre actually different to me you can know everything their is to know all about the most advanced mathematics out there headed to big things you have scholarships and a genius level IQ and you can still be stupid as heck like say making the bad decision to get high as a kite and get behind the wheel of a car full well knowing how stupid an action this is... my friend... you are not that smart. whats that? your in your late 20s and have a genius IQ you say? could luck with that now you probably just threw your future away you dummy!

ive seen kids who inherently know better than adults i also know making decisions about right or wrong or what will get them the best outcome while i watched adults completely fall apart and crash their lives in a hole. more than likely they were dumb as kids too... now ive watched the kids grow up who were smart and seen 2 outcomes they got stupid at some point and they found the same hole that their parents did and then we have the ones who are now more successful then those adults around them. this paragraph means almost nothin tho!!

most because what you choose to do will shape you and your intelligence and so i really dont group things like children are smart vs adults are smart because it is definitely the individual no matter what the thing is though like you said somePerson kids do in fact lack general awareness and some functioning mechanisms on a whole because scientifically their brains capacity hasnt even developed those things fully yet of course their are exceptions but yeah they are just that they are the exceptions the common so i mean to say ... yep pretty much

self example time!

i was both a very smart kid and a very very stupid kid

i do not have some sort of complex about sounding arrogant or like i think im smarter then everyone else if someone chooses to think that i think that go right ahead i am one of the least confident people you will ever ever meet..........!! but i am confident in my experiences as a kid

i watched my mother constantly make bad decisions life alternating decisions and ones that i somehow instinctually and somehow intelectually maybe knew would lead to poor outcomes despite this it was drilled into my head that i was stupid and literally mentally had problems nicest way i can put the words is being called or referenced as "autistic" in one way or the other so until i got older i never realized wait hey... i had some smarts as a kiddo

i excelled at certain things like art i could draw circles around anyone even the kids in art class they had nothing on me but there were a lot of things i was completely unable to do i struggled to learn topics to a more intense degree than most people and to this ALL MAY HAVE NOTICED i cannot spell very well and my grammar is terrible i know you guys know this because this website has loved to make fun of me for it over the years i also cannot spell for peanuts in advanced high school level Japanese or even in French very well i just cant learn it

problem solving i was better than the older kids around me and i was better then some of the adults around me some of them im not that arrogant i just know where to give credit where credit is due i learned a lot of life skills earlier or quicker too like toilet waaaaay quicker than the older kids around me cooking by the time i was 11 and i surprised a lot of adults in my family by holding up educated conversations with them because i always liked to read and do my research before i made up my mind about something

i was also a super scared kid though and that heavily impacted my in-the-moment problem solving in pressuring situations and that is very common with kids you cant really help that which goes again to your point somePerson the brain simply cannot handle high stress high leverage choices and decisions as a kid your easier to panic lose the function of your decision making skills and the stress can overwhelm your senses much easier its just a natural thing

so despite me... maybe... boldly... maybe? acknowledging i was smart as a kid NO there were a few situations my kid brain did not accept well and upon reflecting on them as an adult you simply just realize... hey... you were a kid your not THAT smart

uuuuh

so pretty much i think what you said is mostly accurate the way i look at it is a whole lot less like "kids are so smart!" and a whole lot more like "kids are smarter then we give them credit for" at least back in my day adults around me would have conversations they figured i couldnt make sense out of if they removed a few words like sex or like alcohol references just because i was a kid and i think thats what most people are guilty of when it comes to thinking kids aren't smart or intelligent enough i think the concept of kids are so smart is a failed way of trying to look at it just that people are surprised when they see kids arent total dummies so it gets somewhat overblown

you get more experience as you get older if you choose to turn into smarts though is up to you

ME?

no im stuck in perpetual immaturity i do not want to be an adult SURE i do take on adult responsibilities like parent and teacher and job-haver and all of that stuff but i cannot escape the silliness that is Lindsey and the cringe that is Lindsey its just a part of me i know im not... too stupid... but there are a whole lot of people out there a whole lot smarter than me and i kind of like that because it means i get to learn a whole lot more still and to be honest if i can be around those people who are smarter than me i dont have to think so much myself all of the time

YEP!
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
Erikatastrophe Green Sparx Gems: 432
#3 Posted: 08:05:50 01/09/2022
The actual trend is emo adults saying "I was such a stupid kid" because they think it makes them look wise and cool. No, it just proves you're still a stupid kid and that's all.

As much as I actually hate the saying "Kids are kids," it can actually apply in this situation, and it's because of the whole sciencey brain stuff everyone else is talking about. But NO, that does not make kids "stupid," it literally just means they're kids. Saying having an underdeveloped brain means you're stupid is offensive to a lot more than just kids and I don't think people notice that... I think that that is different than what most people are referring to when they use the word "smart" in this situation, though. Underdeveloped? Yes, therefore unable to reach their full potential of smarts yet. Stupid? No, that depends on the individual person. The latter also applies to adults. Okay, grown-up, you got a fully working brain now, go you! But is this person stupid? Depends on who they are.
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
YesterdayFemmey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1221
#4 Posted: 23:46:28 01/09/2022
we've got 3 year olds being accepted into mensa. have you been accepted into mensa?
---
How many centuries have I spent in this utterly failed life?
skylandersfan60 Gold Sparx Gems: 2406
#5 Posted: 04:18:42 03/09/2022
No they are dumb and that's great. People and especially parents, are way too focused on how advanced children are. Most children who show advanced skills at an early age end up totally average adults. We should all collectively stop caring about how good a child is at something and let them develop at their own individual paces. Not to mention the entire concept of smartness is flawed, being bad at math doesn't make you dumb, it just means you're bad at math, but I don't want to get into that unless someone else does.
#6 Posted: 04:55:16 03/09/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: skylandersfan60
No they are dumb and that's great. People and especially parents, are way too focused on how advanced children are. Most children who show advanced skills at an early age end up totally average adults. We should all collectively stop caring about how good a child is at something and let them develop at their own individual paces. Not to mention the entire concept of smartness is flawed, being bad at math doesn't make you dumb, it just means you're bad at math, but I don't want to get into that unless someone else does.

yeah I also think we praise kids for being smart way too much. i know its like ego thing to call your child smart but it puts a lot of pressure on the child to perform better. and then when you have programs telling them that they are better without needing to do work a lot of kids end up not learning how to study or learn the material. elementary school math is easy but once your child is gonna eventually end up needing to study its not gonna end up well.

i honestly dislike the word smart. very few people in the world are actually truly smart with the majority of people being average similar to a bell curve. and honestly its ok to be average like who cares if you're smart?

Quote: YesterdayFemmey
we've got 3 year olds being accepted into mensa. have you been accepted into mensa?

I literally said smart kids exist and are an anomaly. plus this type of argument is very weak because it has no argument. imagine me saying "this movie is bad". and you just reply with "well have you ever made a movie before?" its basically the equivalent of saying "I know what you are but what am I"

Quote: Erikatastrophe
The actual trend is emo adults saying "I was such a stupid kid" because they think it makes them look wise and cool. No, it just proves you're still a stupid kid and that's all.

As much as I actually hate the saying "Kids are kids," it can actually apply in this situation, and it's because of the whole sciencey brain stuff everyone else is talking about. But NO, that does not make kids "stupid," it literally just means they're kids. Saying having an underdeveloped brain means you're stupid is offensive to a lot more than just kids and I don't think people notice that... I think that that is different than what most people are referring to when they use the word "smart" in this situation, though. Underdeveloped? Yes, therefore unable to reach their full potential of smarts yet. Stupid? No, that depends on the individual person. The latter also applies to adults. Okay, grown-up, you got a fully working brain now, go you! But is this person stupid? Depends on who they are.

ok
I'm not saying that kids or people with underdeveloped brains are stupid. I'm just saying that cognitively kids are inferior to adults. smarts is not a dnd stat where you can increase it. being smart is being able to use your knowledge and apply it anywhere else. its how a person thinks not how much knowledge they have. you can know a lot about car facts but how many people can use that knowledge to fix cars? and how many of those people can fix any vehicle? and how many of those people can make cars?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:19:42 03/09/2022 by somePerson
#7 Posted: 04:58:20 03/09/2022
Define the word "smart."
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
#8 Posted: 05:12:47 03/09/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: Erikatastrophe
Define the word "smart."

using knowledge and applying it to accomplish goals. anybody can learn addition. but knowing how to apply addition to other formulas and equations is different
#9 Posted: 05:14:45 03/09/2022
Um, dude, most people know how to do that.
---
#10 Posted: 05:22:10 03/09/2022
Quote: somePerson
Quote: skylandersfan60

yeah I also think we praise kids for being smart way too much. i know its like ego thing to call your child smart but it puts a lot of pressure on the child to perform better. and then when you have programs telling them that they are better without needing to do work a lot of kids end up not learning how to study or learn the material. elementary school math is easy but once your child is gonna eventually end up needing to study its not gonna end up well.

i honestly dislike the word smart. very few people in the world are actually truly smart with the majority of people being average similar to a bell curve. and honestly its ok to be average like who cares if you're smart?

Quote: YesterdayFemmey

I literally said smart kids exist and are an anomaly. plus this type of argument is very weak because it has no argument. imagine me saying "this movie is bad". and you just reply with "well have you ever made a movie before?" its basically the equivalent of saying "I know what you are but what am I"

definitely wouldnt call kids dumb i wrote a book up there already but since Erika called for defintions i might as well put out dumb is kind of a slang but the least slangy way is "lacking intelligence" and intelligence people like to argue over what it means most say the ability to acquire and learn more information which children inf act do excel at so dumb not the right word just normally not as experienced or having gained enough "smarts" yet and that said positive encouragement within reason is good... being called stupid or dumb frequently sure didnt make me learn any quicker...........!! it did the same thing you describe over encouragement to do which can also be true it put more pressure on me which led me to fail even more than i would have without it.
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
#11 Posted: 05:30:39 03/09/2022
ok
I'm not saying that kids or people with underdeveloped brains are stupid. I'm just saying that cognitively kids are inferior to adults. smarts is not a dnd stat where you can increase it. being smart is being able to use your knowledge and apply it anywhere else. its how a person thinks not how much knowledge they have. you can know a lot about car facts but how many people can use that knowledge to fix cars? and how many of those people can fix any vehicle? and how many of those people can make cars?

Can you please tell me where I targeted you as being one of the people who call kids/people with underdeveloped brains stupid? I didn't. I've never seen you say that, I was just commenting on this subject as a general whole.

I'm not exactly sure where you're getting your definition from. That's not the typical definition of smart, and I don't agree with it. What is this "knowledge" that you speak of? What does it mean? How can one apply this knowledge to multiple things in their life? It doesn't make sense to me. I think someone can be smart without being smart in multiple different categories of life. Maybe they're not particularly good at anything in their entire life, just average at everything, but they know not to drink and drive and they know not to touch an open electric socket, so they're definitely smart in some regard.
---
#12 Posted: 05:31:01 03/09/2022 | Topic Creator
i dont think you got what i meant and that's fine I probably explained it poorly.

but no most people cannot use their math knowledge on other formulas and equations. there is simply way too much. and not even in math related ones like primitives and permutations. computer algorithms use formulas to calculate how fast it can function. physics and engineering use a lot of formulas when it comes to creating machinery which was why apollo 13 happened. business algorithms exist to calculate business decisions that can cost millions of dollars. no not everyone can apply their math knowledge to formulas.
#13 Posted: 05:38:18 03/09/2022
I think this was a reply to my first reply... in which case, I repeat what I said in my second reply, which is that I do not believe that to be the definition of being smart. So what if they can't apply mathematics to other situations? That doesn't mean they're not smart. Even still, a lot of people can apply their knowledge of something to something else in their lives, if not multiple things. I can't think of a person I know who can't do that, to be quite honest.
---
#14 Posted: 05:46:13 03/09/2022
QUAGSIRE as vespi would say

i know that this

ok

is what i was trying to say with my post pretty much to the T so i got no problem with that
---
YesterdayFemmey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1221
#15 Posted: 05:47:03 03/09/2022
buddy, i was using you in its general sense, simply referring and responding to the question posed in the topic title. i know plenty of kids smart enough to have figured that out, whereas you couldn't, so...

furthermore, the argument is weak in your opinion, just like your response is weak in mine. that comparison is in no way equivalent. my argument is that several kids have done what most adults can't. kids are capable of being smart. you only need to see one brown cow to know not all cows are white. again, i know plenty of children smart enough to have realized that.
---
How many centuries have I spent in this utterly failed life?
Beemo Gold Sparx Gems: 2828
#16 Posted: 05:53:31 03/09/2022
matilda was a smart child
---
I hate this name and I want to change it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:55:16 03/09/2022 by Beemo
#17 Posted: 05:57:13 03/09/2022
.........................................................................................:(!!
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me