Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Drawing habits?
Erikatastrophe Green Sparx Gems: 424
#1 Posted: 23:54:54 23/08/2022 | Topic Creator
I know a lot of us are artists (God help us), so are there any weird things you do when you draw? Do you tilt your head? Do you hum? Do you walk around?

I have a few but nobody pays attention to the first post so I'll say them later.
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Thunderdragon14 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8087
#2 Posted: 00:27:51 24/08/2022
i pace a lot when i come up with something i want to draw. it gets me to come up with all sorts of ideas
---
Quote: Alydol
go back to whining about your fish
#3 Posted: 01:06:24 24/08/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: Thunderdragon14
i pace a lot when i come up with something i want to draw. it gets me to come up with all sorts of ideas

Ah, I do that when I listen to music 'cause it helps me come up with ideas; I try to sit still but I can't!
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#4 Posted: 15:37:52 24/08/2022
listen to old eps of the nostalgia critic, help
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5537
#5 Posted: 15:49:41 24/08/2022
Despite every single one of my art teacher’s best attempts I still sketch with short disconnected lines

Also when I’m drawing on physical media I sometimes hit the space where my back button would be whenever I make a mistake. Alas, paper does not work like that.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
Skyhunter Diamond Sparx Gems: 8887
#6 Posted: 16:00:55 24/08/2022
I tend to spend like ten minutes trying to get a single line to look right to me before I inevitably give up and say "good enough".
---
It doesn't matter if the bars are iron or gold, a cage is a cage.
#7 Posted: 17:01:00 24/08/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf

Does that motivate you or just judge you??

Quote: StormDragon21
Despite every single one of my art teacher’s best attempts I still sketch with short disconnected lines

Also when I’m drawing on physical media I sometimes hit the space where my back button would be whenever I make a mistake. Alas, paper does not work like that.

I feel your pain. There was a point in time where I just couldn't finish my lines and it made coloring impossible, not even digital coloring, hand coloring, because the lines were that far unfinished.

The undo button is a gift and a curse.

Quote: Skyhunter
I tend to spend like ten minutes trying to get a single line to look right to me before I inevitably give up and say "good enough".

Well... Yeah, we all do that even if we don't admit it...
---
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#8 Posted: 19:06:02 24/08/2022
i cant draw why did you ask me
#9 Posted: 20:28:44 24/08/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: Vespi
i cant draw why did you ask me

Oh... My bad...
---
LeewweewoowheeH Gold Sparx Gems: 2325
#10 Posted: 20:48:58 24/08/2022
*draws on professional level* UGH it looks like it was uploaded to DEVIANTART DO IT AGAIN!!!!
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
#11 Posted: 21:11:20 24/08/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: LeewweewoowheeH
*draws on professional level* UGH it looks like it was uploaded to DEVIANTART DO IT AGAIN!!!!

I feel this but I don't redraw, I just upload the crap.
---
#12 Posted: 21:12:43 24/08/2022
Quote: Erikatastrophe

he gives me hope ❤
#13 Posted: 21:20:48 24/08/2022 | Topic Creator

he gives me hope ❤

I am happy to hear that. :-)
---
#14 Posted: 21:21:26 24/08/2022
^good this world needs more hope even in the form of nostalgia critic reruns dont matter
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3859
#15 Posted: 00:09:59 25/08/2022
if i'm using a sketchbook or ipad, i like to lay flat on the ground. like in a clean area of course. this stops me from hunching over. it's not the most comfortable thing, but it's currently the best solution. ofc it's not appropriate to do that everywhere, so i also draw sitting normally just fine

i also find myself imitating the expressions of characters
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
#16 Posted: 00:34:47 25/08/2022
^i love the facial espressions one i find that unless i attempt to perform the action of what im animating then i probably wont do it the way i want to i need to to see it for real experience it for real to authentically capture the movement so that said i often look like im losing my mind flailing about or being assaulted by paranormal circumstances
---
#17 Posted: 00:45:59 25/08/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: ThunderEgg
if i'm using a sketchbook or ipad, i like to lay flat on the ground. like in a clean area of course. this stops me from hunching over. it's not the most comfortable thing, but it's currently the best solution. ofc it's not appropriate to do that everywhere, so i also draw sitting normally just fine

i also find myself imitating the expressions of characters

Oh, I've never heard the lying down thing before, that's for sure. I can't stand lying on my stomach, but I definitely have a serious hunching problem. Imitating the character's expressions is also something I find myself doing, almost always completely accidentally.

^i love the facial espressions one i find that unless i attempt to perform the action of what im animating then i probably wont do it the way i want to i need to to see it for real experience it for real to authentically capture the movement so that said i often look like im losing my mind flailing about or being assaulted by paranormal circumstances

I'm using myself more and more as references for my drawings.
---
#18 Posted: 00:50:46 25/08/2022
^its the best way dont waste time money on classes/art books use and teach yourself
---
Ezio Hunter Gems: 7168
#19 Posted: 20:07:37 25/08/2022
i use my pinterest feed to find inspiration. i have like 4 different boards of things for art references, poses, new projects. i can always link them if wanted.

also watching bob ross helps me because happy thoughts
---
"The cowboy has always been a dying breed
But he takes his dying slowly, perched upon his steed."
#20 Posted: 20:21:47 25/08/2022 | Topic Creator
^its the best way dont waste time money on classes/art books use and teach yourself

Yeah, the more I try to do things the "correct" way, the worse it comes out, lol.

Quote: Ezio
i use my pinterest feed to find inspiration. i have like 4 different boards of things for art references, poses, new projects. i can always link them if wanted.

also watching bob ross helps me because happy thoughts

Pinterest! My addiction! Lol. You can link if you so desire, I'm obviously not complaining.

And Bob Ross is good, this is a good choice.
---
#21 Posted: 22:12:25 25/08/2022

nah, you don't teach somebody to swim by throwing them into the deep end of the pool

here's a bunch of tips
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:17:19 25/08/2022 by Blackholes_Wolf
#22 Posted: 22:50:12 25/08/2022

nah, you don't teach somebody to swim by throwing them into the deep end of the pool

here's a bunch of tips

im probably biased but i am heavily against the so-called need for art schools and laws of art like you cant be an artist without a degree or something... i am entirely self taught and although i dont post my art im probably better specifically with human anatomy 90 percent of manga artists out there today and im entirely self taught what im saying is pose and look at yourself study yourself your movement if you want to draw a hand or animate a hand look at your own theres no better teacher then what you can control and manipulate in front of you that said everyone is different and learns different me i was not a basics girl and i was expected to be good and be good quick i did not start with animating a little bouncing ball my first animation was a full on fight sequence like this

[User Posted Image]

no it didnt come out as cool as that but it looked pretty good to be honest i can only draw what i want to or what i like so i would just force teach myself to be able to mimic the people i wanted to draw like and im much better of an artist for it at least in my experience this is what worked for me if you give me a book to study im gonna throw it at the wall when it comes to art no lets jump in the deep end come on! now for someone else that might not work but everyone is differen and i think there is no right way to do it learn
---
#23 Posted: 21:36:26 26/08/2022 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I think everyone should just do what works for them personally. If they try art class and it doesn't work, but then if they try art by themselves and it does work, or vice versa, then that's okay. I think you should just try what you feel comfortable with trying, and if it doesn't work, you can always try something else, but if it does work, then... good!

I definitely think the process is different for everybody and some techniques definitely will or will not work for some people. I personally felt very uncomfortable in art class so I try to do everything on my own (my own references, no wire frames or anything like that), but to be fair, I am far from the best artist or animator out there, so maybe art class theoretically could have helped me, but I was never going to learn anything because I personally was not comfortable in the environment.
---
#24 Posted: 23:36:26 26/08/2022
^BS shes foolin her art is awesome
---
#25 Posted: 19:51:58 30/08/2022 | Topic Creator
^ She's lying, don't listen to her.
---
#26 Posted: 21:29:31 31/08/2022
bad drawing habit of mine: never being able to commit to one style or media aaaa
---
#27 Posted: 21:34:01 31/08/2022 | Topic Creator
bad drawing habit of mine: never being able to commit to one style or media aaaa

This is a good one... As I most often draw fan art, I guess I get an easy way out as I mostly just copy the art style of whatever series it is.
---
#28 Posted: 21:56:34 31/08/2022
imma chameleon when it comes to art i can copy anything i can see and make you think it was official its how i made my money back in the day sometimes having a definitive artstyle OR medium is just a pain being flexible and creative is more important i think
---
#29 Posted: 21:57:55 31/08/2022
ahhh that's super useful tbh
---
#30 Posted: 22:00:49 31/08/2022
yeah sure has been i think your habits not bad because of that tho maybe your just too creative for one style/medium!! i know a few manga artists like that too very cool
---
#31 Posted: 01:51:53 01/09/2022 | Topic Creator
I bite my lip and stick my tongue out when I draw.
---
artiste_violet Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10775
#32 Posted: 03:50:44 03/09/2022

I can relate to this, I can go from intensely detailed drawings to super cartoony depending on the subject and my current mood lol
#33 Posted: 01:44:08 04/09/2022 | Topic Creator
Yes! More people with that awesome capability! For real, I think it's good to not be restricted to one art style.
---
#34 Posted: 14:24:58 08/09/2022
it's fun but not when you're looking for clients bc they assume you'll only do one style!
---
#35 Posted: 19:57:10 08/09/2022
really? when people look at my portfolio and see thousands of styles lined up it normally helps me cause theyre like wowowowowowow
---
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#36 Posted: 20:05:01 08/09/2022
I make the faces I'm drawing, and traditionally, my pencil usually ends up at the nose bridge or forehead whenever not touching the paper
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#37 Posted: 20:52:42 08/09/2022 | Topic Creator
it's fun but not when you're looking for clients bc they assume you'll only do one style!

Huh, I've never seen that one before. I'm used to people wanting you to be able to do multiple.

Quote: Bifrost
I make the faces I'm drawing, and traditionally, my pencil usually ends up at the nose bridge or forehead whenever not touching the paper

Yep. I probably look like a complete psychopath when I draw sometimes.
---
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8179
#38 Posted: 03:39:21 09/09/2022
Listening to either v-tubers or internet drama non-sense. Sometimes very educational.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
kite Blue Sparx Gems: 987
#39 Posted: 04:58:37 09/09/2022
Anyone else make similar faces as the character they're drawing?
---
case closed
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8179
#40 Posted: 05:07:31 09/09/2022
YES. Reasons why I keep the door shut.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#41 Posted: 05:34:14 09/09/2022
OOH thats a good one i sometimes will do that used to do more it more but i normally find myself making like the funny gag faces

like these

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

and for bonus heres a screenshot of a live Lindsey in the wild being interrupted while she does art

[User Posted Image]
---
#42 Posted: 08:13:34 09/09/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: kite
Anyone else make similar faces as the character they're drawing?

Five votes for people who make the characters' faces!! (Me included.)
---
#43 Posted: 14:01:12 09/09/2022

Huh, I've never seen that one before. I'm used to people wanting you to be able to do multiple.

ok thats good HOPEFULLY im just wrong. what ive heard is that people want your artstic voice or something or like that. but i dont ever want to direct anything illustrated/comic/animated so im literally like idk just show me how to draw this thing in the specific way and i will try as hard as i can to do it
---
#44 Posted: 19:47:21 09/09/2022 | Topic Creator
^ I understand that completely, yeah. Eh, requirements like that can be a little annoying, it's kind of the equivalent of when school would say "Show your work." Especially in a case that you're explaining, if you really don't like to direct things, which I also happen to agree with when it comes to art projects.
---
#45 Posted: 02:32:03 17/09/2022
i doodle to pay attention to like lectures and stuff
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me