Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > do you give to the begging homeless
Page 1 of 1
do you give to the begging homeless
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8470
#1 Posted: 20:04:33 03/08/2022 | Topic Creator
i dont.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#2 Posted: 21:08:08 03/08/2022
When we have spare food that's closed/just opened, we give them that. Beggars are one thing but I'm pretty inclined to believe it when someone saying they're starving over here, inflation's messed up.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
LeewweewoowheeH Gold Sparx Gems: 2351
#3 Posted: 21:41:44 03/08/2022
i cant go out much when i used to be able to i normally wound up giving money what very little i often had to the homeless yes because numer 1 i live in new york at the moment and number 2 because i ahve a very weak heart and a very hard time telling somebody no they cannot have this or such so yeah
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#4 Posted: 21:48:12 03/08/2022
sometimes ill spare a buck or two. one time i saw a guy with a bunch of bottles of water that said “$2.50 honestly I’m just a college kid trying to get weed money” so i bought two bottles of water. i hope he got his weed
skylandersfan60 Gold Sparx Gems: 2386
#5 Posted: 23:45:04 03/08/2022
No, I live in a low income outer suburb, a lot of the homeless here are on meth and somewhat dangerous.
#6 Posted: 23:53:01 03/08/2022 | Topic Creator
everyone who said yes this is a judge free zone. nobody cares if you did or didn't give money
#7 Posted: 00:25:45 04/08/2022
pretty sure those who said yes meant yes i probably shouldnt give out my money i need to take care of myself and most certainly most of the homeless here are gonna use it to by drugs but let me say ill take the chance theyll appreciate the gesture and use to get the help they need or at least food my father used to buy actual meals when they would ask so he knew they couldnt use it on drugs or something im too panicky for all that so i just hand over my lunch money lol
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
Thunderdragon14 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8087
#8 Posted: 01:51:08 04/08/2022
sometimes beggars like to camp out by walmart and every time we see them i feel bad. so most times we do

a lot of them arent asking for money, theyre looking for work. i think that makes them more believable but i'm naive and don't really question it much
---
Quote: Alydol
go back to whining about your fish
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:53:44 04/08/2022 by Thunderdragon14
#9 Posted: 02:07:35 04/08/2022
^imteresting asking for work? over here its always money like do you mean asking to be hired for a job or something? or help finding one?
---
#10 Posted: 04:10:22 04/08/2022
this topic is revealing
---
#11 Posted: 04:42:49 04/08/2022 | Topic Creator
no need to judge people and virtual signal
skylandersfan60 Gold Sparx Gems: 2386
#12 Posted: 04:57:33 04/08/2022
I think this heavily depends on location. In the city I would be much more inclined to give out money, but in somewhere more regional where hard drug use is so prevalent in communities it's pretty complicated. I've had drug addicted family get pretty violent over money/possessions before. It's not their fault but it's an extremely complicated situation to handle. I believe in the United States opoids are more prevalent in regional communities so I can't speak on the differences with that.
#13 Posted: 05:07:21 04/08/2022
Quote: LeewweewoowheeH
this topic is revealing

revealing of what, zap being an asshole? we all knew that
#14 Posted: 05:12:57 04/08/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: skylandersfan60
I think this heavily depends on location. In the city I would be much more inclined to give out money, but in somewhere more regional where hard drug use is so prevalent in communities it's pretty complicated. I've had drug addicted family get pretty violent over money/possessions before. It's not their fault but it's an extremely complicated situation to handle. I believe in the United States opoids are more prevalent in regional communities so I can't speak on the differences with that.

I think it depends because it is really hard to spot the difference between real homeless people who need help and homeless people who are leeching and making 60k a year. Plus there's always the fear of being assaulted by a homeless person

The problem with giving out money is that you don't know where it's going. And I don't mean drugs I mean like you don't know who you're giving the money too. There are homeless people who have corners to sit in and beg for a job. It's crazy when they reuse their sob stories.

Giving food is weird because most of the time people are gonna give out their eaten leftovers or cheap masses produces junk food. If you ever go to a good drive a lot of food given is just junk people find in their drawers that' they find no use for. Another big complaint people have online is when restaurants throw away food after a day. It's not that they don't want to throw food away but if they do the homeless who get sick can sue. Plus a lot of homeless people are unironically kinda entitled when it comes to begging

The best way to help the homeless isn't giving them money that can be used for harm or your leftover food. Instead the best way to help the homeless is to donate to food drives and do charity at shelters.
#15 Posted: 05:13:09 04/08/2022
i was gonna say that

somePerson is mean
Bifrost is generous
i am a sissy
you are giving/understanding
sylandersfan60 is responsible
Thunderdragon14 is kind
and...

and well yeah zap is well...

well yeah lets go with that

and somePerson imma judge whoever i want whenever i want to but im not judging anyone anyway i thought it would be funny to say because we all felt in character ironically its a joke relax
---
YesterdayFemmey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1221
#16 Posted: 05:50:09 04/08/2022
Quote: somePerson
Quote: skylandersfan60

I think it depends because it is really hard to spot the difference between real homeless people who need help and homeless people who are leeching and making 60k a year. Plus there's always the fear of being assaulted by a homeless person

The problem with giving out money is that you don't know where it's going. And I don't mean drugs I mean like you don't know who you're giving the money too. There are homeless people who have corners to sit in and beg for a job. It's crazy when they reuse their sob stories.

Giving food is weird because most of the time people are gonna give out their eaten leftovers or cheap masses produces junk food. If you ever go to a good drive a lot of food given is just junk people find in their drawers that' they find no use for. Another big complaint people have online is when restaurants throw away food after a day. It's not that they don't want to throw food away but if they do the homeless who get sick can sue. Plus a lot of homeless people are unironically kinda entitled when it comes to begging

The best way to help the homeless isn't giving them money that can be used for harm or your leftover food. Instead the best way to help the homeless is to donate to food drives and do charity at shelters.

"giving food is weird 100% of the time because 51% of the time it's junk."
the way my father did it, and i've done this too, is to buy them a meal, not hand out leftovers or junk food. a truly desperate person will be grateful for whatever they can get, "beggars can't be choosers" you know, but the way i recommend doing it is this if it's within your means. there is no harm in doing so. it's fresh food just like you would get for yourself. i've often seen homeless people outside of places like target stores that have pizza huts inside or outside of convenience stores and the like. it is not at all hard to walk with them inside and buy them a meal, or to walk in and come back with one.

if you donate to a shelter, etc. you can make a small difference for many. if you buy a meal for someone you can make a huge difference for one person at a time. neither way is wrong.
---
How many centuries have I spent in this utterly failed life?
#17 Posted: 05:58:59 04/08/2022
we did a project in college once where we had to present something that had a significant impact on our lives (and i did persona 5 like a goddamn weeb) but this guy made packets you could give to homeless ppl in the winter because he was homeless once too and a packet like that saved his life. anyways in every one there was:

-a beanie
-a pair of socks
-a pair of underwear
-a toothbrush
-travel size toothpaste
-a $10 McDonald’s gift card (his rationale is that they’re everywhere and cheap but this was back in 2016 when it wasn’t 20 bucks for one person)
-a pen
-a card for my college’s free resume services

anyways i gave mine to a homeless guy a few streets down and the other day i saw him again working as a janitor in my building. i like to think i helped
#18 Posted: 06:04:56 04/08/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: Vespi
we did a project in college once where we had to present something that had a significant impact on our lives (and i did persona 5 like a goddamn weeb) but this guy made packets you could give to homeless ppl in the winter because he was homeless once too and a packet like that saved his life. anyways in every one there was:

-a beanie
-a pair of socks
-a pair of underwear
-a toothbrush
-travel size toothpaste
-a $10 McDonald’s gift card (his rationale is that they’re everywhere and cheap but this was back in 2016 when it wasn’t 20 bucks for one person)
-a pen
-a card for my college’s free resume services

anyways i gave mine to a homeless guy a few streets down and the other day i saw him again working as a janitor in my building. i like to think i helped

Yooo actually amazing.

I think homeless people are categorized in different ways. I saw a reddit post once that goes
1) there because they're doing their own thing and trying to work back up
2) people who are too addicted to the freedom that being homeless gives
3) people who are mentally not there and couldn't get assistance
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:06:57 04/08/2022 by somePerson
YesterdayFemmey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1221
#19 Posted: 06:06:10 04/08/2022
i think you did help, and this is kinda what i mean. a small contribution you make to one person could make a big difference for that person in the long run.
---
How many centuries have I spent in this utterly failed life?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:06:21 04/08/2022 by YesterdayFemmey
#20 Posted: 06:06:17 04/08/2022
yo thats really cool actually its very safe to say to me that you finding him working at your school after giving him a packet with the resume service in there is a good sign you did in fact help this guy
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:22:59 04/08/2022 by LeewweewoowheeH
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#21 Posted: 13:59:48 04/08/2022
no, give me money instead
#22 Posted: 14:16:04 04/08/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf
no, give me money instead

Sure! :)
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#23 Posted: 23:01:42 04/08/2022
As a note, I also donate to organizations when I can, which is way more often than having food in the car that's unopened

The thing is, especially in Brazil, many people are just skipping meals and those have jobs that SHOULD be keeping them well stocked. If they can't afford even the junk food, then yeah, the homeless might appreciate cookies or snacks after they've been spending what they can on high calorie food(mostly chicken wings because boy that lasts even without a fridge). In fact, someone stopped my roomate by a food truck to ask them not for money, but to buy the hot dog combo so they could have one and not spend too much extra. If you can afford it, I doubt that's gonna be considered "junk".
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:02:38 04/08/2022 by Bifrost
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me