Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
post strong female characters
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#1 Posted: 20:39:09 25/05/2022 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
- - -
skylandersfan60 Gold Sparx Gems: 2375
#2 Posted: 23:16:19 25/05/2022
[User Posted Image]
------
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#3 Posted: 01:23:36 26/05/2022
[User Posted Image] ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12132
#4 Posted: 02:28:46 26/05/2022
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image][User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
Most Powerful women of history

Now this looks like a job for me
So everybody just follow me
Cause we need a little controversy
Cause it feels so empty without me
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#5 Posted: 11:58:30 26/05/2022
[User Posted Image]

she's literally me
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#6 Posted: 02:34:41 27/05/2022 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
- - -
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#7 Posted: 02:23:37 29/05/2022
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

I few I remember
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3912
#8 Posted: 18:53:59 31/05/2022
i love/hate that madame blueberry made the list
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
LeewweewoowheeH Gold Sparx Gems: 2351
#9 Posted: 19:19:54 09/06/2022
i am going to ruin this topic later by posting a dead serious response. by the short one is that “strong female characters” are overrated for the representation of female characters if by strong people mean literally or by definition “cool” some of my favorite female characters are relatable losers and goofballs who are inspirational via realistic expectations and interactions that make them both human and someone you could really see being a person
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12132
#10 Posted: 11:33:10 11/06/2022
my list is not ajoke .go to hell
#11 Posted: 18:51:09 11/06/2022
jokes on you im already there did you forget about my roommates
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
#12 Posted: 00:15:43 24/06/2022
okay as promised im here to ruin the topic because i have an opinion on "strong female characters"

what is "strong" ?

what defines that to someone

strong to hollywood clearly means a women who is more or less a jerk who makes snarky remarks at mostly men and more than likely wears spandex of some kind. generalizing here but roll with it for a minute. the main interpretation i see from american media anyway is a pretty cut and dry stereo type a character who holds feminist values (of which i approve) but... also a character who is also kind of a... well a jerk or overly snarky or hates men ormost importantly to my point is "cool."

cool.

now can we define "cool?"

well again "cool" mosty seems to fall into the more stereotypes she has in common with a man the better.

which is inherently sexist in and of itself because that statement implys only men or male stereotypes can be considered cool. that gets a ball rolling because its sexist in both directions by applying gender stereo types.

example - cool strong female in a fantasy universe must be able to kick butt (specifically guys) be very powerful and have cool stereotypes like being distant or mean or lack emotions and sometimes even be kind of emo!

and this is not to say any character that falls into any of these categories its bad thats not my point at all.

but that theyre what is considered a "strong female character."

so heres what i think

part 1 what makes a "strong" female character?

i personally think it has nothing to do with strength or being able to kick butt or being snarky or mean or being "cooler" than the guys. its fortitude in your character. it doesnt have to be 100 percent all of the time either you can have a very diverse female character but where she stands is more important than what she can do. does she stand confidently in her convictions or does she learn to? thats being strong to me. does she stand up for herself or people around her or does she try to? thats strong to me.

strong doesnt mean having to be a bad A and giving young girls the idea that they have to be one to be strong isnt giving them a more realistic expectation then teaching them to be princesses or damsels in distress.

part 2 is being a "strong" female character even important?

by my definition above it helps to have them yeah but heres the thing none of us are ever going to be that cool or own that much spandex... probably... but heres my point

its more important to have realistic grounded engaging and most importantly relatable female characters.

i think making role models for all the young girls (and even older ones like me he need them sometimes too!) is the most important thing but part of making a good role model isnt just making a super cool hero kick butt action women... i think its more important to give girls a realistic expectation of themselves of anyone for that matter and have something to express themselves through or who they want to be one day.

some of us want to be that superhero yeah maybe she grows up and is a politician instead or joins the military idk

but

some of us are nerdy and proud of it we like dungeons and dragons and are super afraid of the dark and idk GETTING ABDUCTED BY ALIENS!!

some of us are totally zen pacifist peace lovers who are scrawny weak vegetarians who wouldnt hurt a fly and just want to vibe - kind of me - but have a good heart

some of us are complete "weirdos" our favorite animals are sardines our favorite color is lime green specifically we only wear tshirts and nikes but dress up as a princess for stage shows and listen to techno music while playing halo

some of us are just complete goofballs who arent really all that strong or smart were complete chickens and are better at being funny than giving useful information or being generally good at stuff - also kind of me -

and every one of those i just listed above can also be a strong female character and can also motivate girls and women out there (even some of you boys and guys too!) and be important role models in their lives

silly and smart characters even if theyre scaredy cats or weak as sin have always been my role models because i can relate to them and when they have a moment or accomplish something or do their best i feel a connection there and i feel like thats every bit as "strong" and "powerful" of a thing in a character.

i dont see these stereotypes being so strictly applied to male characters or characters being lumped into "damsels in distress" or "weak" as much as i do with female characters which to me is one of the reaons why strong female characters are depicted in a very narrow sense these days

i think it needs work and it needs honestly more girls who are confident enough to write portray and really put out their strengths no matter what they are and then i think we can start to see a diversity of those kinds of female characters and girls and women like me or maybe some of you out there who have read this wont always be stereotyped in with "lesser character" and can be considered strong female characters too
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me