Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Is gatekeeping bad?
skylandersfan60 Gold Sparx Gems: 2375
#1 Posted: 04:42:19 22/11/2021 | Topic Creator
A community I was in got flooded by femcels and I'm not sure anymore.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#2 Posted: 06:14:15 22/11/2021
i told a girl once as a joke that she was gaslighting me and she straight up told me that "I shouldn't say words I don't understand"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:03:01 22/11/2021 by somePerson
LeewweewoowheeH Gold Sparx Gems: 2351
#3 Posted: 09:56:40 22/11/2021
this forum became gatekeeping central
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#4 Posted: 11:28:51 22/11/2021
People conflate gatekeeping on the sense of "enjoy this thing exactly how I enjoy it" and in the sense of "hey let's enforce like basic forum etiquette, we shouldn't let toxicity happen just because there's more people around"

The latter is quite useful
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#5 Posted: 13:16:28 22/11/2021
No, its a good thing
#6 Posted: 19:42:15 22/11/2021
Quote: Bifrost
People conflate gatekeeping on the sense of "enjoy this thing exactly how I enjoy it" and in the sense of "hey let's enforce like basic forum etiquette, we shouldn't let toxicity happen just because there's more people around"

The latter is quite useful

if that was directed at my comment that second part is not what i meant nor have i ever seen that referred to as "gatekeeping" i literally meant the first part "enjoy this thing exactly how i enjoy it" be damned legend of spyro fans and skylanders fans bullying over it here was real and real for many years
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#7 Posted: 20:01:59 22/11/2021
Quote: Drednaw
the internet fluxuates between "let people enjoy things" and "bullying is good actually" on a weekly basis

it's a predator/prey situation, the ecosystem needs to be balanced

yeah I see this whole "who cares how others think" attitude are the same people who will think lowly of others for doing something they don't like. I want to know the threshold of what we can like and what we can't like. like obviously the bottom is stuff like enjoying video games and the latter is being a pedo.

I also see gatekeeping with people trying to one up others for living in a harder lifestyle which is so weird to me.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#8 Posted: 01:06:45 23/11/2021
Quote: LeewweewoowheeH

if that was directed at my comment that second part is not what i meant nor have i ever seen that referred to as "gatekeeping" i literally meant the first part "enjoy this thing exactly how i enjoy it" be damned legend of spyro fans and skylanders fans bullying over it here was real and real for many years

Nah, not directed at you, honestly this is something that affects like every community

When any place gets big, admins+mods have to walk a tightrope where they don't get so insular that everyone new gets yelled out, but not so lenient that they start ignoring genuinely new problem people just because it means a bigger crowd
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#9 Posted: 05:14:18 23/11/2021
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: LeewweewoowheeH

Nah, not directed at you, honestly this is something that affects like every community

When any place gets big, admins+mods have to walk a tightrope where they don't get so insular that everyone new gets yelled out, but not so lenient that they start ignoring genuinely new problem people just because it means a bigger crowd

ah okay i got you and then agree with you actually that pretty much sums it up
---
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10179
#10 Posted: 06:49:03 23/11/2021
Well I mean if your job is about being a security guard, gatekeeping is not only welcomed... it is allowed.
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
#11 Posted: 10:15:49 23/11/2021
he makes a point
---
icedragon333 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6076
#12 Posted: 14:31:37 23/11/2021
You're not a real gatekeeper unless you stand outside of a castle gate, pike in hand, in the freezing rain for hours on end.

On a serious note, in terms of a community, the whole thing shouldn't be gatekept, but subsects of that community might. Although you can end up with internal fighting if said gatekeeping is too puritan.
---
No.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me