Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > If SSA were remade, would you want physical toys again or an unlock system?
Page 1 of 1
If SSA were remade, would you want physical toys again or an unlock system?
Lunar Gold Sparx Gems: 2447
#1 Posted: 00:39:01 22/04/2021 | Topic Creator
This is a question I have with some friends fairly often surprisingly. If they were to remake the original Skylanders game today, would Activision find it worthwhile to reissue all 37 Skylanders figures, or would they simply want to lock characters behind Soul Gems or something like that and make it a standalone "Baby's First Diablo"-type game with a $40 price tag?

When Guitar Hero was rebooted, the initial craze had long since died and the plastic simply made the game too expensive for many people to care about it. I feel like the same has happened with TtL games. I couldn't see a new one coming out and being successful for a very, very long time. I'm talking maybe a decade or so. But in the meantime, would you like to see an HD remaster of the original game with all the content included in the base game package? All Skylanders, Battle packs, Level packs, etc. The portal screen being replaced with an aesthetically similar Character Select screen. Would doing so destroy the TtL gimmick for any future releases, or is that ship thoroughly sailed and doing this would actually allow the franchise to live on in some form? Maybe they would re-release a few figures for Skylanders that were incredibly popular as a little nod to the past?

Genuinely curious to hear what yall think.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:40:43 22/04/2021 by Lunar
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#2 Posted: 13:43:12 22/04/2021
Digital unlock system for sure. Maybe figures work if you buy a Portal Pack with some repackaged stuff, but no new required plastic, period.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#3 Posted: 14:01:28 23/04/2021
the first game definitive need a remaster with higher textures, then giants only need a hd port with improvements on a few things. and all unlocks should be digital with progression as you play the games. but the portal and figures of old should still be unlockable and you just unlock them earlier than doing the digtal unlocks. both game released on same disc as a dual release.. i would have loved this to happen. its the only two games we dont have for the ps4/ps5.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Halvmorke Emerald Sparx Gems: 4411
#4 Posted: 18:11:19 23/04/2021
Again, digital unlock system all the way, with bonus or further options for people that already have the toys. It's the way to go bearing in mind the current situation of TtL as a genre, to be honest. And with the games being cheaper and more affordable, the franchise may survive longer.
---
Elite: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Senseis: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3900
#5 Posted: 23:25:54 23/04/2021
if they remade ssa, i'd want to see some sort of compatibility with characters that came out after the game. i think they'd have to do it carefully if they're worried about ruining the balance of the game.

maybe have digital unlocks, but also compatibility with figures. post-ssa skylanders could only be unlocked by using figures.
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#6 Posted: 14:06:58 24/04/2021
A better way to go about a toy bonus would be to, well, use the toys-with-brains part and let you unlock your old progress, maybe come with a Heroic Challenge-y bonus even if it's a new figure so people buying late don't feel left out. The only problem is how unlocks should work - gold, four new ones every level, idk, because the locations of Soul Gems would make this a bit of a mess.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#7 Posted: 01:07:24 25/04/2021
I could see a Fortnight-style edition with in-game purchases to unlock characters rather than physical figures. The expense of manufacturing and distribution is too great for a dead TtL genre.
I wish they would grow with their fans. Seven years for Skylanders and the whole time they be continued to market too too young a target audience. It would be great to get some marie plot and action instead of artichokes and campy NPC's.
Honestly, we're all wishful thinking. After the TV series died, I gave up hope for any future for the franchise. I'm just glad that RoH is still alive.
---
Any last wishes?
NSane Bandicoot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3138
#8 Posted: 21:48:19 10/05/2021
For me, it would have to be digitally unlockable. I believe it would be stupid to do figures again, at least in the way they were used in the original SSA. Times have changed. Maybe physical figures could be used for optional cosmetic perks? Or optional stats upgrades?
---
Just me in my world of Enemies! | NSane Bandicoot? Nah
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#9 Posted: 05:47:22 02/06/2021
Sell it with some special spyro figure. Make it full digital, BUT your figures from the original game can work in it. If acti decided to release the figures again. Just do 3 packs, but sell them cheap. 3 figures for $10-$15 and call it a day. Limited run maybe
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me