Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Role Play > The Legend of Orion: Dawn of a New Legacy [Private]
First | Previous | Page 13 of 28 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 27 28
The Legend of Orion: Dawn of a New Legacy [Private] [CLOSED]
A Guy Emerald Sparx Gems: 3639
#601 Posted: 23:40:27 22/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Latnok gave Maverick a dissatisfied look. "He's right there. Ask him yourself," he chided. Even Maverick didn't see Raclaw as much more than property - it was a real shame, it was.
Besides that, he wondered about the trip. It was possible that he would at least be sharing the same destination as Leoquin - and Risar would be the one heading the crew. Perhaps hitching a ride would be a possibility - Latnok wanted to make sure he had all of the information and tools he needed beforehand, however. As for the matter of the glamor effect protecting the island, he would have to speak to Vellune - revealing living things was one thing, but revealing an island would probably be a trickier matter.

Though Ilasi gave a smile, being pleased at her daughter having a good time, she wasn't quite comfortable with the way Angora was being considered. "Now, now, dear, be careful. Angora isn't a guinea pig," she responded. Why, a "thesis" on Angora almost sounded like something that creepy scientist would be pushing for. "We should ask her before doing anything like that."
Tyrus came in soon after, not being in a particular rush to get to the door despite his sister's enthusiasm. "Hello, Mom," he called out, with Ilasi responding in kind. His day wasn't as exciting - or, at the very least, he wasn't as excited about what had happened as Alana was.
---
I'm just... a guy...
Felines Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10223
#602 Posted: 01:19:27 23/10/2020
Maverick didn't know why Latnok was so upset. Even after all these years, he still thought everyone needed his permission to talk to the dragon, unaware of the true nature of their friendship. Angora barely talked to Raclaw, even less Latnok, and since she never had anything nice to say about the young Guardian, even she thought that was the case.
"Señor Raclaw. Can you come with me later?" he asked the fur dragon directly, still wondering why Latnok was the one offended.

Alana didn't know what occurred at the house just a couple of hours before, so she was hoping her mother was a but more happier for her than that.
"Guinea pig? Mommy, it's not like we're using Angora for an experiment. It's just a thesis. Sort of like an essay. That's what the teacher wants." Alana explained, having expected... a different reaction.

"Well, I'm down for it if it's only that. Maybe people will start seeing trolls a little bit differently. Not saying all should be seen differently, but I'm pretty certain there are other trolls... like me." Angora said, spacing out after saying that. What the scientist said really got her thinking. Perhaps there were far more trolls like her out there, personality wise at least, and that they were being killed off before they had a moment to shine. Creepy as he was, perhaps Draikon did have good intentions, so maybe she should give him a chance just like some very few people have done for her. Alana on her part, was excited for the project. What other kid had such a close relationship with a troll? And if Angora said was true, it would be awesome if trolls as awesome and gentle as her existed by the many.
---
Real friends will be there... when you need them the most.
redwes Diamond Sparx Gems: 8585
#603 Posted: 01:35:16 23/10/2020
"Yes-- yes, I'll come with you. I would be happy to pay Dahlia a visit.," Raclaw responded with a nod and a light smile. Indeed, it had been some time since he and dirt buffalo (now both fellow mounts) had spoken to one another. They would now have an interesting perspective in life; both having chosen their humans and in the end-- having chosen to be ridden. Mounts who chose to and truly wanted to be mounts at the end of the day.

He had long noticed that it wasn't uncommon for people to 'ask his human' for permission to do 'X' with him; it seemingly went hand and hand with viewing him as property. He technically was of course, but that didn't make Latnok some gatekeeper that stood between him and making his own decisions. He wouldn't have even been in that position had his own decisions not led him to choosing that life, Latnok would've never claimed him had he not asked the Guardian too, and he only continued to have a say in every decision that followed. He (and Latnok) realised now that changing people's perception of the animal-man dynamic would take some time. And he realised that even Angora (whom was also owned albeit not of her free will) even treated him in such a manner, despite the progress they had made. The museum and people actually seeing the museum would no doubt become more important than ever...
---
<[ I’m Darin the gryphon! *screech* Want to know more or ask a question?]
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 01:38:04 23/10/2020 by redwes
#604 Posted: 02:33:58 23/10/2020
Once they reached the Salvation House, Maverick asked the secretary to take her to Dahlia, with Raclaw in tow. He didn't know of Latnok would follow them, but he needed the fur dragon alone. She was kept in a spacious room, being given some desert grass. He was surprised they had that here, but he guessed they were really prepared for every creature.
"Hola Dahlia mi linda. Look who's here." he greeted, introducing Raclaw. Dahlia never entered in panic with Raclaw in particular even if he was some sort of dragon, but she still exercised some caution around him.
"The weird flyer. Me go home now. Little masters, where they at? I like the master's wife. Where is troll? She smells like dastard wyvern. Oh... the fluffy dragon here? He dangerous? Oh but no more fluff than me. Dahlia likes the name. Where am I again?" Dahlia said in words that were only heard as brief grunts and soft bellows for the rest there. She once again showed her incapability of keeping one subject at a time despite all the years that have passed. Maverick let them get reacquainted for a while before asking Raclaw for that favor.

At a certain place, a certain scientist still had tormented thoughts. In all his many years of research, inventing and studying, he never envisioned the ridiculousness that was leaving a fine specimen like Angora work at a place crawling with wyverns, one of troll's main predators. It was like leaving a seal to work in a tank full of Great White sharks. What's wrong with the Guardians? Angora was the living embodiment of the possibility of trolls being integrated to society and finally leave their barbaric culture behind, yet they treated her like just another low employee, filling the beast's endless stomach, wondering when she'll be next, grooming the hard skin and scooping the ugly monster's droppings. What kind of life that was? To make matters worse, Angora was a very young troll, the equivalent of a human child. That just showed how horrible those Guardians could be. He felt like he had to do something. It would be too devastating if Angora died before he could study her for real...
---
#605 Posted: 10:47:01 23/10/2020
Quote:
"The weird flyer. Me go home now. Little masters, where they at? I like the master's wife. Where is troll? She smells like dastard wyvern. Oh... the fluffy dragon here? He dangerous? Oh but no more fluff than me. Dahlia likes the name. Where am I again?"

One thing that Raclaw never forgot was the headache that came with interpreting Dahlia-- it wasn't the dirt baffalo's fault of course; they were lucky to be compatible at all. Raclaw quickly interpreted each line of thought and prepared a suitable response just like old times. "Don't worry-- you're safe, I'm safe.. you're in a safe place. A place safe for all creatures. I'm sure you'll go home soon, but for now-- your master wanted you to see a familiar face. It's-- it's good to see you again. It's been some time since we've last saw each other. We actually may have more in common now.," the Fur Dragon began presenting a pleasant smile as he spoke in a manner that the Dirt Baffalo would understand.
---
#606 Posted: 14:16:28 23/10/2020
Dahlia wasn't sure about that. She believed they couldn't get any more different.
"You meat. Me plants. Horns. Fire... master seems troubled. Me no like this place. Me go home. They give my grass. See the master's family. Little troll... why smell like wyvern?" Dahlia responded, at first staying on the subject but once again changing it. Angora's situation in particular had her troubled. Wyverns not only ate trolls, but ruminants like her too. Her kind, along with many others, were very common and once hunted by dragons. Despite their population growing more due to the dragon extermination, they were still quite hunted, whether for processing meat or being hunted by wyverns just like Veris, who were let loose sometimes to hunt on their own. Raclaw was the only dragon Dahlia wasn't afraid of, both because he had fur like her and because they were almost the same size. Despite his fire, he looked like an opponent she could take on should he ever become hostile.

At Maverick's home, wife, kids and friend were trying to have a quiet time. Angora helped Ilasi cook dinner. She didn't say anything to the children about the scientist that visited them, and didn't think Ilasi would either. It was not worth it troubling them with such information, even if Draikon might have good intentions despite his creepiness. Angora was almost forgetting about the scientist's visit when Alana mentioned the thesis. That wasn't bad though, and unlike in Tyrus' class, all the children seemed to like her.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:16:30 24/10/2020 by Felines
#607 Posted: 22:10:10 23/10/2020
Quote:
"You meat. Me plants. Horns. Fire... master seems troubled. Me no like this place. Me go home. They give my grass. See the master's family. Little troll... why smell like wyvern?"

"It sounds nice-- it's nice having people that care for you, isn't it? Angora, the troll-- she works with a Wyvern. He wouldn't hurt a hair on her body and she gets paid for her efforts. He's big, but.. he's cuddly and he loves food more than anything else.," Raclaw began to say remembering the large wyvern's appetite. They still had a connection even, a requirement for communication that still occasionally served its purpose.

"And you'll be surprised-- you already know about Latnok and I, but we've only grown closer since hitting mainland again. We live together, we work together, and.. and we fly together. We have an harness and everything. And.. and he technically owns me now, although such a decision was of my own freewill and I remain free to make my own decisions to this day. And he insists that others still see me as an free individual, which is nice. We treat each other as friends, but.. but he also takes care of me.," Raclaw than said not worried about Maverick hearing him. He had to admit-- it was a nice feeling, ownership. It and the collar presented a feeling of security. And yet, he still remained *free* as viewed through Latnok's eyes. It was the best of both worlds and he had no regrets.
---
#608 Posted: 02:36:48 24/10/2020
While Angora helped Alana with her thesis once dinner time was done, things were getting confusing for poor Dahlia. How could Veris not mean harm to Angora if he loved food more than anything else according to Raclaw? It just didn't make any sense, just like it didn't make any sense Angora still being alive when she was practically living among those awful wyverns. Dahlia barely listened to Raclaw's explanation about him and Latnok still thinking about Angora's predicament, although she understood part of it.
"Troll food for wyvern. Wyverns bad! Wyvern loves food. They evil! Need protection, like dumb master. Master needs mount. Master just name. Too slow. Too dumb. Barely weights! Troll has nobody. Troll no protection. Where am I? Troll and family need me. Little masters... weak. Oh, there is master! Where is family? Dahlia wants home!" Dahlia started to say, almost forgetting Maverick was there with them. Even though she clearly loved him, Dahlia still considered Maverick too dumb to survive on his own, courtesy that extended to the rest of his family, including Angora. He didn't like her at the beginning, but always smelling like wyvern made the dirt buffalo fear for her safety. It was too clear she had a strong sense of protection, maybe even to the point of compulsion.

Dahlia then started to pace around the room, muttering to the point that not even Raclaw could understand her now. Maverick understood Raclaw, but not her.
"Heh, I'm not even sure if she's happy to see you or not. If you had to explain to her what Angorita does at the base, I guess she's worried about her? She likes Angorita, but I don't think she like the smell of wy... well, them. Dahlia always sniffs her quite a lot when she comes back to the house." Maverick stated, knowing through experience that Dahlia couldn't even stand the mention of the word wyvern, even if it was in human language, and always making a strange face when Angora returned smelling like them. He still didn't know Dahlia's... rather unfavorable opinion about him, but he didn't doubt her love, and was glad that she loved all of his family, even little Angora.
---
#609 Posted: 18:13:40 24/10/2020
"Dahlia is worried-- yes. She feels the need to protect you and, by extension, your family. And, unfortunately, she does exhibit a strong fear/dislike of dragons particularly those that eat meat. She fears for herself and she fears for those she loves... and it is love. She is with you by choice. The dragon aspect separates us, but my less draconic attributes allow her to.. tolerate and even find me interesting despite that aspect. But she fears for Angora.," Raclaw attempted to explain the dirt baffalo's behavior.
---
#610 Posted: 19:37:05 24/10/2020
Maverick chuckled at the mention of the word protection.
"Dahlia has demonstrated her need for protection with flying colors. One time there was this small earthworm when Ilasi and I were riding her and she tried stomping it like crazy as if it was going to hurt us." Maverick explained, the moment being funny back then but also kinda sad. It made Maverick wonder what happened to Dahlia to make her that way. When he researched dirt buffalos, there wasn't that much information on them except that the females were the ones that handled the herd, just like elephants. Perhaps she lost young ones? Or a herd of her own?

But realizing that he was getting a bit off topic, Maverick returned to the issue at hand.
"But yeah, not surprised she is so worried about Angorita. Frankly, I am too. She has made it so far for five years... but... those bites. What if the next bite makes her bleed too much? You know she can't use her healing magic on herself. Or if it's so quick that it kills her on the spot? Or what if she can't use her shield magic in time?" he spiraled, hyperventilating a little before continuing.
"That's why I've been trying so hard to make her get another job. Although I think now, she's finally considering it. She's worried about hurting Veris' feelings... but if I have to be honest, I'm more worried about how señor Sere will take it. If Veris gets depressed or something because of her departure, he might try to keep Angorita to keep his mount happy." Maverick expressed, being more worried about the Guardian than Veris himself. Being the leader of the Guardians, he knew Sere could get away with pretty much anything, and knowing how unique Veris was in terms of genetics, Maverick knew a Sere couldn't afford his mount to have a feeling that could hinder his abilities or even will. He knew there was also the small chance of Veris himself turning violent, but he doubted he would want to hurt Angora after what a great friend and caretaker she has been.
---
#611 Posted: 01:53:58 25/10/2020 | Topic Creator
As Ilasi was preparing dinner with Angora, she wondered where Maverick was. Of course, what he was doing could possibly take quite a bit of time, if they kept finding potential leads; she shouldn't be worrying.
She was more concerned about Angora. That creepy scientist seemed to have taken quite the interest in her... and what was this about Alana writing a "thesis" on Angora? A thesis seemed a bit beyond Alana's capabilities right now,r egardless of how smart she was. Did someone put her up to it?
Ilasi settled down a bit. She was overthinking things. Probably, anyway...

While Raclaw went with maverick to sort out... whatever they were going to sort out, Latnok headed back inside the Salvation House, to grab the mysterious egg. They had to get back to the territory by the Guardian base when this was all done - the sooner they could get further information on the egg, the better. Besides that, the new lead was promising, if a little vague. He would need to find Risar again, if possible, to discuss arrangements.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#612 Posted: 02:15:05 25/10/2020
Quote:
But realizing that he was getting a bit off topic, Maverick returned to the issue at hand.
"But yeah, not surprised she is so worried about Angorita. Frankly, I am too. She has made it so far for five years... but... those bites. What if the next bite makes her bleed too much? You know she can't use her healing magic on herself. Or if it's so quick that it kills her on the spot? Or what if she can't use her shield magic in time?" he spiraled, hyperventilating a little before continuing.
"That's why I've been trying so hard to make her get another job. Although I think now, she's finally considering it. She's worried about hurting Veris' feelings... but if I have to be honest, I'm more worried about how señor Sere will take it. If Veris gets depressed or something because of her departure, he might try to keep Angorita to keep his mount happy." Maverick expressed,

"I can't tell you what Sere will or will not say-- but I can tell you that he has shown himself to be respectful of my own decisions. You know who and what I am, but both Latnok and Sere were 100% interested in ensuring that I was confident and happy in my own decisions. I could've walked away anytime I wanted to, but neither of them tried to force me one way or another once everyone was past any previous influence caused by corruption. I.. I was not forced into my current life and, despite whatever feelings Veris may have, I suspect that Sere will be respectful of any decision that Angora makes. One way or another.," Raclaw responded after some thought.
---
#613 Posted: 03:50:56 25/10/2020
Maverick smiled, knowing he could always count on Raclaw.
"Gracias señor Raclaw. And also, gracias for keeping an eye on Angorita all this time and always being kind to her. The other caretakers don't give her a second glance, and of course, she has been unable to befriend the other wyverns. The Guardians... well, you know how they are. If only they could see her the way you and I do. Señor Latnok too. I mean, you like her, I like her, even Orion likes her. Why hasn't that been enough for him? The only one whom she considers a friend is señor Julian, but he's so busy that she barely sees him. You were really lucky to have a man like that raise you." Maverick said after remembering it was Julian who raised the fur dragon. He couldn't understand why Raclaw would rather stay with Latnok instead of the kind man who raised him. Despite how he was, Maverick knew Angora wanted to close that chapter and cease her attempts to befriend Latnok, but he knew that, deep inside, she still wanted the young Guardian to acknowledge and respect her.

Alana was having a good time writing about Angora, though predictably, the assignment was looking more like an essay than a thesis. Some parts even resemble narrative taken from a storybook. The girl knew she was already the envy of the crass, not only for her unique heritage, but also for having a troll as a friend. And now she could do a thesis of her. Maybe she could even get extra credit and compensate some of the bad grades she had for being lazy and mischievous. Angora on the other hand, while happy that Alana was having such a great time, but her head was filled with too many thoughts, namely the scientist. But wait, if he was as recognized as he claimed, did that mean he had easy access to the king? She still had to visit him after all to discuss Shade's future, so that was another reason to see the man again.
---
#614 Posted: 19:14:40 25/10/2020
Quote:
"Gracias señor Raclaw. And also, gracias for keeping an eye on Angorita all this time and always being kind to her. The other caretakers don't give her a second glance, and of course, she has been unable to befriend the other wyverns. The Guardians... well, you know how they are. If only they could see her the way you and I do. Señor Latnok too. I mean, you like her, I like her, even Orion likes her. Why hasn't that been enough for him? The only one whom she considers a friend is señor Julian, but he's so busy that she barely sees him. You were really lucky to have a man like that raise you."

"Julian mostly left the care up to my caretakers-- but his heart was in the right place and he still taught me vital skills such as how to read and how to speak common. I never could speak the native language of the region where I was raised, but I could at least properly communicate once I was outside that region. He and my caretakers even once tried to teach me how to hunt, but.. but of course I sadly remind at somewhat of an disadvantage in that department. So I became reliant on more consistent food sources, mainly people such as my caretakers and yes Latnok. You'll be surprised how many calories one can burn on a long flight.," Raclaw recalled slightly correcting but still thanking Julian for everything he did in the end. Admittedly-- it would've been nice to be able to fully communicate with his caretakers before Guardian allowed him use of his powers, but he also ended up learning Canine in the process. And how to look absolutely adorable as a means for food or just to mess with people, as the clerk who initially registered his ownership.

"As for Angora and Latnok-- Latnok can be a kind man, but he and Angora just haven't agreed with one another for whatever reason. He doesn't mind her occasionally helping me bathe, but I don't think they've ever interacted beyond a couple brief interactions related to that. I think at this point, it would take Angora directly stepping up and taking the first step towards building or rebuilding their relationship. As much as I love Latnok, I believe he's mostly written her off at this point.," the fur dragon then admitted knowing or suspecting that the Guardian saw Angora as the problem. And the reverse being true in the other's eyes; they would have to directly deal with one another at some point.
---
#615 Posted: 20:41:31 25/10/2020
Maverick shook his head, knowing both were too proud to make the first step.
"Well if señor Latnok is waiting for Angorita to approach, he'll remain waiting. She's so busy with Veris, and... well, she's afraid he'll just hurt her emotionally again if she talks to him..." Maverick admitted, remembering how Angora confessed to such fears a couple of years ago. Their only hope was Raclaw himself, but if he has been unable to amend things after all these years, perhaps Angora was right in giving up any hope of getting Latnok to treat her better. He was no saint either, something that Maverick observed in the Enduring Legacy and in the Darkmatter mission back then.

After much time, Draikon managed to get some sleep. He was going to visit the king early tomorrow. With Angora in the picture, perhaps he could finally be able to give some progress to a project he suggested many years ago, a project that was coldly rejected and even was the cause of the soldiers making fun of him for a while. This time, there was hope, but he had to make sure that Angora survives...
---
#616 Posted: 21:18:41 26/10/2020
"Perhaps-- perhaps we can try to arrange something. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe maybe we could get them together.," Raclaw thought out loud. It was somewhat frustrating to be the friend (technically pet) of an Guardian whom just couldn't get along with 'X' liked person for whatever reason. He knew that Latnok wouldn't interfere with said person of course; the man respected him too much to do that to him. But they still seemed to blame each other for past deeds-- Angora no doubt still blamed Latnok for his corruption-influenced 'control' episodes, but Raclaw himself had long forgiven him for that. He had even given his own collar, the opposite of what one would do if they had feared such things. And Latnok-- He still blamed Angora for her own past deeds; Angora's previous 'episodes' and failed attempted at co-existing no doubt didn't help. What could they possibly do..?

"If Angora and Latnok are too afraid or too stubborn to ask themselves, then we would have to do it for them. Arrange for a day where both have the time, have each of us ask our person if they would be willing to try should the other accept, and convince our persons to say yes to this arrangement. We might have to wait until after any potential trip 'lest she wants to come along, but.. perhaps.," Raclaw then said with the word 'perhaps' seemingly being the key word. He didn't entirely know what the two could possibly discuss; ideally anything but the past. A fresh slate would be ideal.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:21:05 26/10/2020 by redwes
#617 Posted: 00:08:47 27/10/2020
Maverick thought long and hard about it, but the more he did, the further he believed those two had a chance of friendship.
"Well, I can't see it happening in the near future, especially if we go on this trip. Angorita is going to stay here, but it's probably better that way." Maverick contemplated, remembering how badly the last trip went. Angora and Latnok were at each other's throat constantly, with the former even being thrown in the brig more than once. Maverick was still angry at how Latnok abused his power and authority over Angora just because of a few sassy remarks, but decided not to tell Raclaw anything.

Thinking they have spent too much time here, evident with Dahlia's desperation, Maverick decided to get to the point he wanted to express from the beginning.
"Well, let's not get our hopes too up with those two just in case. What I really wanted to ask you was... well, I need a big favor..." Maverick started to say.
"No se... don't know if other Guardians will come with us or just señor Latnok, but regardless of the circumstances, I want to ask you... por favor, whatever this secret island is, if we do find it, I need your help in keeping it a secret. I don't want the Guardians or Aelinon to mess it up. I... just know they'll want to conquer it if they find out about the place. It wouldn't be fair for the people that live there to have their peace and way of life to be disrupted like that, especially if they already spent a hard time escaping the Ishulgites." Maverick asked, knowing too well how Aelinon was expanding it's territory and how Guardians destroyed places if it meant more resources. He knows what happened to fauns, a species that were only being peaceful and helpful, and it would just devastate him to see a place like this island get destroyed because of the greed of a few.
---
#618 Posted: 00:43:41 27/10/2020
Raclaw took a moment to think about it before responding-- Maverick, perhaps via the influence of Angora, clearly still did not entirely like the Guardians as a whole. "The Guardians-- I don't think they would do what you are accusing them of. Remember the Salvation Houses, Falcon's Beak, .. Julian? The Salvation houses have been used to allow many creatures to survive and even thrive without being exploited. The people of Falcon's Beak have been left to themselves and freely traded with without display of force. And Julian-- he saved me and had it not been for him, I would now be a much much worse place. I would've been some experiment or a slave or worse. I can understand your concerns about Aelinon, but I don't believe that the Guardians would do that to them regardless of whoever or whatever they may be. And consider Latnok; he's spent years and countless resources on helping me find my own kind. Do you really think he would purposely go out and destroy what could be the last home or colony of my surviving people?," the Fur Dragon then questioned clearly not expecting such a request. Did Maverick really think the Guardians would do that..?

"I-- I wouldn't let that happen. I really don't think you have anything to worry about, but I shall use my influence to keep an eye out as I always would've. And you don't have to worry about Latnok; he's with me 100 percent. He's been with me 100 percent. We won't let anything bad happen to either of our peoples, rather it be yours or mine. The Fur Dragons, the Fawns-- we'll value them more than anything. And they'll get treated with respect 100% of the time.," the Fur Dragon then said still somewhat shocked by Maverick's rather low opinion of the very people he had literally given his own ownership to.
---
#619 Posted: 00:56:01 27/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Back at Tal Rogas, King Seraos and the Council were being briefed on the dragon near Redwater. He had escaped after attacking a patrol. The Guardians - who were the ones who identified its shapeshifting capabilities - were assisting in tracking down the creature, though there was currently no more sign of it.
Dragons remained a troublesome matter, and their coexistence with the people of Aelinon had proven to be impossible. There was also the matter of Shade - despite the hard labor he had been pressed into, many in the Council feared that there would never be any safe way to release him without angering the people or, even worse, risking him joining a potential enemy. Seraos had received a letter from Sere, stating that he wished to discuss the matter of Shade in their next meeting. That much seemed fair; the Guardians and their technology allowed Shade to be restrained, after all.
Unfortunately for Shade, five years was much too short a time for Redwater and Aelinon to forgive his transgressions. He was currently only alive because of his usefulness; eventually, though, that usefulness would either run out, or would be deemed to not be worth the risk.
Ever since the Ishulgite uprising, the continent had been relatively peaceful; Aelinon was solidly the most powerful force on the continent, and none of the other factions on the continent were in a position to challenge it. Thus, the enemies within seemed to be the most pressing concern - and Seraos could not rest until his people could sleep easy.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#620 Posted: 01:01:52 27/10/2020
Maverick wondered about what Raclaw said. Was he assuming too much because of the way they treated Angora plus the way she talked about them? They helped Aelinon, a place that is clearly conquering lands and even bringing creatures like dragons towards extinction. Regardless of their reason, that was just so wrong for him.
"I guess you do have a point. They did leave those people alone and they made this Salvation House. And señor Sere pays Angorita well at least, for her dangerous job..." he observed, wondering if he was being too harsh of his judgement. Still, they didn't make a good impression on him most of the time.
"Gracias Raclaw, you know, for the favor. Maybe I am judging them unfairly, which is ironic cause I wanted to be a Guardian once. Still, they should be a little nicer... and patient to others..." Maverick said, knowing they could be polite to people, but when it came to others like Angora, they could be too harsh. Not just Latnok, but Sere was once quite nasty to her as well, even almost excecuting her once. Maverick didn't want to be too hard on the Guardian's judgement, but he just couldn't entirely forgive the way they treated his dear, little friend.
---
#621 Posted: 01:16:49 27/10/2020
"Part of the cost of being a Guardian is sacrificing some emotion-- I've restored much of that in Latnok, but that is something to consider when dealing with them. They do this sacrifice because it grants them power and makes them stronger as a result; this power allows them to help people who otherwise wouldn't be able to help themselves. They can be a kind people, but sometimes it just takes them a little longer to reach that point depending on the individual and the circumstances. The circumstances that Latnok and Angora went through-- they were tough and they pushed everyone to their breaking point. Even I almost got to that point and if their memory is anything like my own.. it can take time for soiled relationships to fully recover. Time and effort.," Raclaw responded giving some insight into the Guardians and their reasoning. It wasn't anything not common knowledge, although it was still sometimes forgotten. The Guardians (Latnok included) sacrificed much for everything that their dragon blood allowed them to do.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:17:25 27/10/2020 by redwes
#622 Posted: 02:47:12 27/10/2020
Maverick heard something similar from Angora once. So that's why they were so harsh.
"But sacrificing your humanity for power? I can understand about helping people, but what about emotions? Emotional injury can be even worse than physical ones. I should know..." Maverick said, recalling the times his father shattered his self esteem whenever he did something he didn't agree on, which was often.
"I can't tell you how many times Angorita came crying to me, because of something señor Latnok said or did. The times she was thrown in the brig. When she was imprisoned and almost dying in that awful arena. Not even her own parents wanted her! Do you know how hard that is? And no matter how much good she did, she felt like she was never appreciated! She even told me that señor Sere and señor Latnok went into her mind once and saw how much she was suffering because of them and they didn't care. She's even working in a place that could get her killed once, yet nobody except you, Veris and señor Julian care about her! She even once told me that if it wasn't for me loving her, she would've died of grief!" Maverick said with a strained voice, getting some tears.

When Dahlia approached the crying faun man, he quickly rubbed his eyes, not expecting to get this emotional.
"Lo siento. Lo siento señor Raclaw. I shouldn't have told you this. Angorita didn't want me to tell this to anybody, plus it's nothing you should be concerned about. I just love that troll so much! I wish I could protect her more." Maverick confessed, apologizing for his behavior. He then realized that they have taken some precious time.
"Anyway, I think we've been here too long. Gracias for listening señor Raclaw. But we better get going. Señor Latnok will probably be wondering where you are." he finally said, in part to change the subject. Dahlia wasn't as desperate to leave as before, wanting to console Maverick. She hated to see him this way. She knew what an emotional wreck he could be.
---
#623 Posted: 21:26:53 27/10/2020
"You're.. you're right. We should get going, but thank-you for coming clean to me. I appreciate it.," Raclaw said not wanting to bother Maverick anymore about the troublesome topic. He was certainly bias towards Angora's perspective, but that of course to be expected. As for himself, the Fur Dragon still had the unfortunate position of being caught between; loyal to Latnok but still friends to Angora despite her perspective and rocky relationship with the Guardian. "And Dahlia-- it was nice to see you again, truly. Maybe you'll one day get to see Latnok and I ride together.," the Fur Dragon then said.
Few of his old friends had ever actually seen him in full gear, in part because they rarely had business with Latnok and because said gear had never become full time. The gear or 'tact' looked snazzy enough for domesticated dragon standards, but Latnok of course still wanted him to be regularly seen without it for image's sake. Most associated harnesses or saddles or tact as being owned. And most still saw being owned as not being your own individual.
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 22:38:58 27/10/2020 by redwes
#624 Posted: 00:17:22 29/10/2020
Maverick raised his hand, almost to pet him in goodbye, but he got embarrased and did a handwave instead, hoping Raclaw didn't notice his original action. He then lead Dahlia away, reuniting with Leoquin soon after. He felt guilty for having to go through that conversation. Being friends with both Angora and someone who didn't like her must be hard for the fur dragon. He hoped he didn't tell Latnok about it, for he was certain he wouldn't care or would scold Angora for talking like that about him.
"Muy bien señor Leoquin. Already done here. Want to go to the house to eat or want to reunite with señor Risar right away?" he asked, wondering if he wanted to reunite with the minotaur soon. They still had that fortune teller to find, but he doubted she would want to receive them. Plus he didn't know about the fair's special feature.

Meanwhile at the house, Angora and Alana were at the living room, helping themselves with some snacks and playing a board game. Angora read Alana's thesis, and while it didn't look like one, it put her in a positive light. Plus Alana was so proud of her work she didn't have the heart to tell her it didn't look too much like a thesis. Ilasi was in her room and Tyrus was still doing some homework, so they had this little time for themselves.
"Oh boy. I can't wait to give that paper. The teacher is going to be so proud. I have read about so many creatures. Dragons, trolls, all are pictured as evil, but you are a troll. And you and daddy are friends with a dragon. Plus that fluffy dragon you mention often. I don't get it." Alana said, too innocent to understand the issue.
"Well Alana, the negative is always the things people put the most importance, whether it's because the most convenient to them or simply because it's more interesting to read. Look at me. I have done many good things for others, and I still do... yet I don't get respected or loved by many, because I'm only seen as a troll. We don't have the best of fame, with good reason. Most of my kind is... not so nice, but when someone comes that is too different, people refuse to give them a chance because as always, they dwell on the negative." Angora said melancholically, not wanting to fill Alana's little mind with such thoughts, but she needed to know reality.

Alana understood Angora's words, but she didn't accept them.
"Well it's stupid! You're kind, and nice, and awesome and mighty! People should be nice to you! They are idiots!" Alana rebuffed, hating the idea of anyone being mean to Angora. She has known her since she was a baby, and the troll was always very sweet with her. Why would people want to be mean to her? Angora found it sweet that Alana was so worried about her. So much like her father.
---
#625 Posted: 00:56:17 29/10/2020
Raclaw offered a nod before leaving-- proceeding to soon find his own counterpart, Latnok. It wasn't a difficult task considering their bond and their connection; the dragon and 'his person' (an ironically pet-like phase) were never too far apart for too long. It didn't take long to find the Guardian's aura in an familiar area...

Meanwhile on the Raging Serpent, the ship and its contents were well on their way to being ready. Risar the noseringed minotaur had informed his crew of their new adventure; the crew wholeheartedly accepted both because they were loyal and because they could potentially sell their goods anywhere thus ensuring that the money would keep flowing regardless. Risar had, at one time or another, saved many of them from a life of enslavement or an otherwise empty lifestyle. Indeed, the minotaur captain had no doubt taken inspiration from an captain who had once saved him from his own previous life long ago.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 09:43:30 29/10/2020 by redwes
#626 Posted: 22:20:42 30/10/2020
Winning the board game and done eating, Angora proceeded to clean everything away to leave the living room the way it was before. Alana looked at the brochures, and asked Angora something she didn't expect from her.
"So are you going to find a new job like daddy wants to?" she asked.
"Well, so far, yes. It pains me to think on how Veris will feel when I leave. He has gotten so used to my presence and caring. But he lived without me before, so I'm certain he'll do it again.! Angora stated... or at least that's what she kept telling herself to avoid feeling any more guilty.
"Ah, the wyvern. Yeah, mommy and daddy has told me all about him. Black and dark blue and very menacing. All I ever see are green or blue wyverns up in the sky. Sometimes too far. You and daddy are friends with dragons, yet I have never seen one up close." Alana said with jealousy, finding it unfair.
"Well dragons and wyverns are quite different... but in the same family. It's like saying dogs and wolves." Angora compared, knowing the former came from their wild counterparts.

Once the living room was clean, another question was bothering Alana.
"Why do people say dragons are evil? All those books me and Tyrus read about knights slaying dragons. Dragons kidnapping and eating people, burning up villages. You and daddy are friends with dragons. How come they are seen so evil?" Alana wondered, genuinely confused.
"I can't tell you what happened in the past since I wasn't there, but whether those books are telling the truth or not, I guess we'll never know. Maybe a few were truly bad, and because of those few, the entire species was seen as such. Look at me. I'm not a bloodthirsty troll, but because of others like that, everyone else pays. No matter what good I do, people will not want me around or respect me, not because of what i do, but because of what I am." Angora vented, feeling like that almost every day. Her experience in the prison trying to visit Shade reinforced the feeling.

Alana paced, frowning.
"Well it's ridiculous! I mean, if a dog bites someone, the dog is held responsible, not all dogs. And what about people that commit crimes? Are all people bad because of them?" Alana asked, not making any sense how an entire species could be stereotyped.
"Take it easy Alana. It's not all bad. I've had a hard road, but at least I have it better than most trolls. I have a job, I have a home, I have you guys, I have other friends like the three fun men you loved so much, and I'm allowed to roam around the city like another citizen." Angora reminded, knowing that she had to stop being so negative and start seeing the positive sides of her life. Although Alalna felt slightly better, she still didn't accept how badly some creatures were seen and treated.
---
#627 Posted: 23:46:20 30/10/2020 | Topic Creator
In the time Raclaw had been gone, had mad preparations for their next departure, namely accommodations for the egg to keep it warm at heights. If Raclaw was ready, they would be able to set off immediately; otherwise, he had no issues with waiting for the next day.
Latnok didn't care to pry into what Raclaw and Maverick were doing together, knowing that, at worst, Maverick was sharing some paranoid thoughts about him. He knew Raclaw was above being swayed by such things at this point.
Feeling Raclaw returning, Latnok stood by, setting out a snack for him and Chester in the form of jerky. The next few days could be really, really long.

Ilasi was doing her typical tasks as she overheard the conversation between Alana and Angora; she chose not to intervene. Perhaps some things were better left unsaid - perhaps that would help people move on down the line.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#628 Posted: 00:51:36 31/10/2020
Angora didn't pay attention to her surroundings, so she didn't know if their conversation was heard, not that she cared anyway.
"Well, if you don't have any more homework or games, perhaps it's time for a little nap. Go ahead Alana. I'll be in the room later if you want." Angora suggested, knowing she had a tendency to sleep late. Alana didn't want to go yet, so Angora stayed with her for a little while in the living room before finally being convinced.

Angora then headed to the balcony to have some alone time... though that was an understatement since Neo was always with her, even if he was dormant most of the time. It would still be a while before dark, so she looked at the sky. So many things in Angora's mind that afternoon. Shade was still in prison, with the possibility of execution and she could barely do a thing to help him. Maverick was going on a journey and she couldn't go with him. And in three months, her contract would expire, and she would have the option of quitting or renewing it. But she already knew what she wanted. She didn't want to imagine Veris' reaction when she tells him. No matter what she did, Angora felt so helpless. So incapable. She almost took the time to cry, but desisted. No more tears. If Latnok was here, he would probably call her selfish for wanting more out of her life, maybe even for quitting her job and likely devastate Veris, but she stopped caring about his opinion a long time ago. Maverick would have good company, and Veris will be well taken care of after she's gone. Sere was going to make sure of it. Shade was the main concern. She didn't know what she was going to do exactly, but she had... a few plans...
---
#629 Posted: 05:08:03 31/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Leoquin spent a moment to consider things. "I think we would be better off speaking with Risar," he answered. "He would probably be glad to know that Latnok is willing to accompany us on the voyage; he will also need to know that Latnok will be out of the city for a day or so." The initial journey to Falcon's Beak was by no means easy, but they had all become familiar working with each other; hopefully such a thing would make this new journey significantly easier.
Besides that, Leoquin was eager to get everything prepared for the journey. What seemed like a wild goose chase before was becoming more and more feasible with each new lead.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#630 Posted: 16:20:09 31/10/2020
Maverick agreed.
"Buena idea señor Leoquin. Let's go with Dahlia. She'll make the trip shorter. Of course, we will still have to stop by the house anyway to leave her later." Maverick stated, not intending to get her on the trip. He didn't want her to be locked away down the ship like with the Enduring Legacy. He still wasn't certain if they would leave as soon as today or sometimes this week, but if it was the former, then there would be no time to find the fortune teller. If only there was a way to convince her to talk. Maybe even get her on the trip, though Maverick decided not to count on that one.

Things around the city were fairly normal, except that news about the shapeshifter were slowly starting to spread despite the soldiers' best attempts to conceal the information. Such news were bound to get the people paranoid. Shapeshifters weren't exactly common, and if they were, nobody knew. They were almost impossible to detect. Some said they would usually keep one shape for the rest of their lives in order to live without troubles and blend with society... though that didn't seem to be the case with the crimson 'dragon' and naturally, one particular soldier was VERY angry. He gathered his warriors in a line and demanded answers.
"So then, the order was not to tell anyone about our findings. So then, my most simple of questions is... WHO DARED WENT AGAINST MY ORDERS!?" General Lyon demanded to know, very, very upset. The crimson dragon wasn't a dragon after all, but that didn't stop the fact that it saved their lives in a very vital moment. General Lyon didn't intend to keep the secret for too long, but he wanted to be the one to tell it. Yet one of his warriors dared to put a wanted poster on the dragon, going against his wishes and endangering the creature, whoever it was. If it was angry, it had every right to be. Perhaps it was time to come clean and tell king Seraos the truth about this shapeshifter... but that would mean confessing as to why they were in Zandar swamp, and keeping his centaur friend a secret was top priority.
---
#631 Posted: 22:48:02 31/10/2020
Quote:
In the time Raclaw had been gone, had mad preparations for their next departure, namely accommodations for the egg to keep it warm at heights. If Raclaw was ready, they would be able to set off immediately; otherwise, he had no issues with waiting for the next day.
Latnok didn't care to pry into what Raclaw and Maverick were doing together, knowing that, at worst, Maverick was sharing some paranoid thoughts about him. He knew Raclaw was above being swayed by such things at this point.
Feeling Raclaw returning, Latnok stood by, setting out a snack for him and Chester in the form of jerky. The next few days could be really, really long.

Raclaw and Chester made quick (but not too quick) work of the jerky-- always enjoying the occasional treat, an staple of both canine upbringings. The former was grateful that Latnok chose not to pry into his dealing with Maverick, although of course he had nothing to hide. He had defended the beloved Guardian after all and his own life choices had long confirmed his loyalty to the man who had ultimately become his best friend; their trust in one another was a vital part of their unique friendship. Raclaw would make it known that he had no issues with leaving immediately.
Latnok had only continued to be a good friend, owner, and rider over time. He appreciated the fact that the Guardian respected him as more than just a pet or just a mount, even if it compelled the man to sometimes react strongly to the more-than-occasional slip on others' part. The Fur Dragon species wasn't yet an established 'pet' ala the canine and hopefully their efforts would only continue to help that fact. Their relationship was much more complex than simply being another 'man and his dog.'
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 23:35:36 31/10/2020 by redwes
#632 Posted: 00:27:05 01/11/2020 | Topic Creator
Latnok waited for his friends to finish their jerky before continuing. "So currently on the agenda... we have to head back to the man base to give Julian that egg, and then check up on Sozen one more time and inform Godfather Sere of our pending trip. Hopefully whoever takes over for me in the interim doesn't completely suck at their job. Maybe find some tools to help us see through this possible glamor effect on the island. Probably something utilizing divination magic. Vellune might have something along those lines." Though the thought of a breakthrough in their long search was exciting, they definitely had their work cut out for them.

'sure thing, lead the way," Leoquin answered. Dahlia wasn't the smoothest ride, but he had gotten rather used to her. Maybe what he needed in all of this time was a pet to keep him company. However, that would be someone else to look after. Maybe he wasn't the best suited to that...
---
I'm just... a guy...
#633 Posted: 01:09:29 01/11/2020
"Agreed-- we don't need the Salvation Houses being run to the ground in our absence.," Raclaw started to say. "Agreed--," Chester added via a bark/whine. The last thing they needed was for something for happen, particularly in the Redwater location, and for someone/something to cause havoc unsupervised. And without Raclaw there.. that would leave whoever took Latnok's place without direct translation of the canines and other residents. He was still one of the few individuals capable of such abilities, thanks in part due to his increased telepathic abilities at least to the same extent. "Here's hoping that the others can get a better idea of where exactly this island is. There could be potentially multiple species' survival at risk, depending on who and what we find there.," he then thought out loud wondering if some specific subsets of his abilities would turn out to be specific to just him or more generalized among the Fur Dragon species as a whole.

For instance-- he was (obviously) canine-like, but that didn't mean that his species would naturally act and think the same way. And that would make some specific abilities, such as his ability to speak canine, specific to just him and his upbringing. And there could be other differences as well; the few historians on the subject were currently basing most of what they knew off of one individual and ancient text. And that would be a very curious question to answer..
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:12:00 01/11/2020 by redwes
#634 Posted: 03:31:22 02/11/2020
Dahlia helped the two humanoid friend get to their destination faster, something that got obvious as soon as minotaur presence became too noticeable. They knew from Risar who the two were, so they had no problem getting around. Once the pair reached where Risar was staying, Maverick spoke first.
"Señor Risar. Buenas tardes. Looks like you've been busy today. Is the ship ready? I want to try finding the fortune teller that gave us that reading yesterday, but I'm not sure if she'll agree to help us, so we better prepare for the trip." Maverick explained, not knowing the fortune teller was going to be harder to look for than he imagined. The fair was in a different place, as it always was each time it was operational, so the woman not helping was not the biggest concern.

Meanwhile, Huntress went to the mail carrier that acted as her informant, but there wasn't anything new on Maverick since he hasn't arrived for a while. One of the mail carriers saw a man entering the house, but nobody there knew the secretive Draikon. The shapeshifter should be a top priority, but since it was going to be next to impossible finding the beast, she proceeded to do what she hasn't done in a while, which was keeping an eye on the faun man.
---
#635 Posted: 04:04:47 02/11/2020
"Eye-- the ship is ready and my men are prepared for the journey. If you're looking to potentially get others onboard, best do it now 'lest we be forced to return.," Risar responded and advised as a general precaution. He didn't know if Maverick and Leoquin wanted to bring others along aside from perhaps apparently the fortune teller, but he did know that it (just as it was before) would be a long journey and that they should ideally be 100% certain that they were ready to leave. He also didn't entirely know Icestorm's plans on the matter, but would welcome the small 'dragon' nonetheless if he did decide to come along. There was also the egg, but the egg was no doubt on its way to Redwater by now.. no doubt on the wings of the faithful/loyal Raclaw.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:13:03 02/11/2020 by redwes
#636 Posted: 04:28:12 02/11/2020 | Topic Creator
Though Risar was already raring to go, Leoquin wasn't quite as hasty. "It might be best if we wait a bit," Leoquin suggested. "Latnok wants to come along - he and Raclaw think that maybe they can find some of Raclaw's family where we're headed. Importantly, Latnok thinks there might be some magic illusion protecting the island, and he has mentioned perhaps getting a tool to help us in that regard. Last I heard, they were heading back to the main Guardian base to hand off the egg... so probably a day or two before they're back here." For such an important journey, it would be best to be as prepared as possible, after all - Leoquin wanted to take absolutely no chances they didn't have to.
---
I'm just... a guy...
Spyroconvexity Hunter Gems: 8609
#637 Posted: 04:48:16 02/11/2020
Risar wouldn’t have to wait long soon Icestorm arrived. He soon saw two old friends. “Well, well if it isn’t Leoquin and Maverick. Long time no see.”
---
SC
#638 Posted: 06:21:01 02/11/2020
Maverick recognized the little red creature immediately.
"Why... Icestorm! Yeah, I remember! So nice to see more familiar faces!" he greeted exitedly, not expecting another former Enduring Legacy crewmate to make an appearance. This was going to be a pleasant journey if he went along too. He then heard what Leoquin said and agreed.
"And indeed. Señor Latnok and señor Raclaw will be coming with us. It'll give me some time to visit the fortune teller and convince her to come, or at least give us more information about what she saw yesterday." Maverick stated, still determined to find out why she wanted to keep the reading a secret, and if it was what he thought it was, he had to convince her that it will remain secret.

None of General Lyon's warriors came clean. They all claimed to be innocent, and nobody has a suspect. The only guilty party dared to lie, terrified of what the general would do to him if he found out. Many merfolks valued law and order above life itself, and obedience was an important part of both.

At Maverick's house, Alana wanted to sneak out of the house, but Angora was there. Grabbing a piece of papers that looked like the blueprints of... something, she headed quietly to the guest room, where a loose floorboard that not even Angora or the rest of the family knew about. It left an opening big enough for her to sneak out, and headed... to Shade's prison. She always got caught before she could get close, but the blueprints were not only a sketch of the prison, which she studied carefully, but also of the times and spots that were guarded. She firmly believed dragons were misunderstood, and if Shade could give her something, a loose scale, anything that would prove her meeting with him, she could show it at school and prove dragons were not the evil creatures those awful books told. She was already having some success with a troll, so why not dragons too? Last time she heard, dragons were endangered, and she didn't want to live in a world where such legendary creatures were wiped out.
---
#639 Posted: 22:53:20 02/11/2020
"Ah yes-- the egg. Icestorm here is hoping that it turns out to be a dragon egg, but we likely won't know for some time. My crew and I were the ones brought it here; our contact and their crew unfortunately paid the cost via pirates or the like. That's the sea for you.," Risar said in a somewhat saddened but content tone. Some compared the seas to a vastless 'wild west', a land where law was nowhere to be seen and where 'lost' was just another term for 'killed or otherwise left stranded to starve to death.'
"In any case.. Risar would be happy to welcome them onboard! And if Raclaw can possibly find family along the way, than the more the merrier! If anyone deserves it.. it's him. He's been searching for years, him and Latnok.," he then said being reminded of his own brothers still out there somewhere. He at least still had a thriving species, albeit one that was still enslaved in another land. Raclaw had none of that and had the unfortunate recognition of being 'the last of his kind.'
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:24:34 02/11/2020 by redwes
#640 Posted: 04:08:47 03/11/2020
Maverick was excited with the idea of a dragon egg. It certainly wasn't an egg he has seen before, and nothing of it's appearance was in the tome Sere gifted him years ago.
"Well, I do hope it's a dragon egg too. Poor creatures have such a hard time..." Maverick stated gloomily, though he wondered if it was a good idea of the egg hatching into a dragon. They were a kind almost wiped out because of how afraid people were of them, and if it grew into a giant, it would probably be killed or forced into servitude.
"Quizas Angorita can guess. If it's a dragon, she'll know. She has a way with them after all." Maverick wondered, Angora being friends with all kinds of dragons, from Shade, to Veris, and even Raclaw, despite Latnok's dislike of her.

Not noticing Alana leaving, Angora kept submerging into her own thoughts, until she decided she didn't want to be left with them anymore.
"Neo... what should I do? I'll try my best to help Shady, but... I don't want to sadden Veris either. Should I accept that scientist's job?" she asked her spirit guard, hoping he wasn't dormant at this moment. She really wanted someone to talk to, but she didn't want to bother Alana or her family with her troubles. But if someone knew about them, who better than Neo? It devastated her to know that, no matter what decision she took, it was going to end up hurting someone.
---
#641 Posted: 05:04:38 03/11/2020
“For your safety I’d take the job. I’m sure Veris will understand.” Neo said.
---
SC
#642 Posted: 07:12:48 03/11/2020 | Topic Creator
While waiting for her husband to return, Ilasi was cleaning their shared room; she didn't know exactly when Maverick would leave, but she wanted to at least ensure he had a very good memory of the place he came from. She was deeply occupied in her own thoughts about Maverick leaving once again; no doubt at least part of them were instigated by Grea, though she tried to take what her friend said with a grain of salt. Regardless, any excursion by Alana would go unnoticed.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#643 Posted: 17:02:29 03/11/2020
Using the blueprints and the written schedules, Alana managed to sneak inside the prison when the guards were briefly distracted. Her small size helped. She only managed to get near the entrance the last time, so this was progress. She spent the last year trying to sneak in and meet the infamous Scourge of Redwater, who happened to be Angora and her father's friend. She has never been this far. If only she could know where the dragon was being held. But first... she needed to avoid detection, which was getting harder the more she entered...

Quote: Spyroconvexity
“For your safety I’d take the job. I’m sure Veris will understand.” Neo said.

Angora sighed, not sure if Neo's comment made her feel any better.
"I hope you're right. Worst case scenario I guess... he'll hate me." she said gloomily, knowing how prone Veris was to grudges. It was better if she didn't mention Shade, for the few times she mentioned him to the wyvern, he was quick to change the subject. Growing hungry again, Angora went inside to prepare another meal for herself, assuming Alana was in her room with Tyrus. She was planning on sleeping early today so that she could wake up tomorrow full of vitality and make the most of the day. She didn't know when Maverick will leave, but she wanted to spend as much time as she could with him before he left...
---
#644 Posted: 18:35:30 03/11/2020 | Topic Creator
Luckily for Alana, most of the guards had grown rather complacent in their duties; few of the prisoners were physically or mentally capable of trying to break out after their extended stay, and there wasn't the slightest concern of anyone trying to break into the prison. The sentries were, with very few exceptions, in pairs; this made individuals harder to bribe, allowed them to watch each other's backs, and allowed them to keep each other engaged in conversation.
While this was, overall, better for their alertness, it had the downside of causing them to overlook the occasional small noise. Not that such a thing made much of a difference in this place, anyway; most prisoners weren't dumb enough to try to escape.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#645 Posted: 19:08:46 03/11/2020
Alana was surprised she managed to get this far. Throughout the year, she has only tried to sneak into the prison thrice. This was the fourth time. On two ocassion, she did try asking nicely, but they refused to let her entry, not even with her parents. She was unaware of Angora's visit, so she assumed Shade was forbidden to be visited by anyone. Things were different now, but she didn't know. One thing was for certain though, it has been easier to sneak past the guards. Maybe the monotony of their work made their alertness lacking. Or perhaps she was just good at sneaking at last? Either way, she was in, and there was no way she was going to let herself be spotted and escorted out. Now where could Shade be? Seriously, he was a dragon. It shouldn't be too hard to find him, even if the prison was humongous. Not in this section though. The cells were small. Most of them were empty, and the few with prisoners were either asleep or too uninterested to pay attention. Not that it was a surprise though. This was such a depressing place! She could get that they were criminals, but come on! They could get slightly better accommodations.

Still, Alana wasn't there to criticize the state of the prison. She already had one goal. Looking t the blueprints, she saw an area that was the biggest section of the prison, which she correctly assumed it's where Shade was being held. He was a dragon, so naturally, they needed the biggest place they could get. Using her small size, the guard's distraction plus the darkness of the place, Alana headed to the big place, trying her best to ignore the prisoners there.
"Shade? Shade... Black dragon...?" Alana called in a loud whisper, making sure no guards were around when she called. She was expecting such a prestigious prison to have better security than this, but why should it matter now? If Shade was here, she was going to meet him at last...
---
#646 Posted: 20:01:10 03/11/2020 | Topic Creator
The whisper reverberated down the hallways, catching the attention of a sentry pair.
"Shh! Did you hear that?" one of them asked in a hushed tone.
"Hear what?"
"That voice. Sounded like... uh... a little girl."
"A little girl? You sure about that?"
"Not quite. But no female prisoners are in this section."
"Well, I suppose it couldn't hurt to make a quick sweep..."
The footfalls of the sentries in motion could be heard heading down the path as they made another sweep.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#647 Posted: 21:34:12 03/11/2020
Alana should've known that calling Shade was going to be a bad idea. There was no way this section would be deserted. She should've looked for Shade quietly instead of calling him. Hiding behind walls, she tiptoed to another segment of the prison. With the darkness and with so many corridors, hopefully she would evade the spitting eyes of the dumb yet well hearing guards...

Angora had her meal, none the wiser about Alana's miraculous disappearing act. She wondered what she was doing. If she was annoying Tyrus or something else. And what was Ilasi doing for that matter. She must be worried sick for Maverick and the journey ahead. Even before they were wed, she was always like that. Of course, it didn't help that Maverick was sought by many women, even though he was already married.

As for the faun man, he stayed with Risar, Icestorm and Leoquin for a while, catching up. How fascinating everything was. A journey to find family. An egg that not even the Guardians knew what species it belonged to? It could be a brand new discovery. Of course, he was worried about what the newborn's future will be, especially if it was a dragon.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:42:43 03/11/2020 by Felines
#648 Posted: 02:02:01 04/11/2020 | Topic Creator
Alana's slight footsteps still reverberated throughout the hallways, which were designed to amplify small sounds. The sentries stayed on the track of the odd sounds... until a prisoner started screaming.
"NO! NO! DON'T NO! PLEASE DON'T-"
"Will you shut up?" one of the sentries called out to the prisoner.
"One of those damned nightmares of his again."
Despite their best efforts - and some foul language that Alana would probably be best not repeating in class or in front of her parents - the prisoner would not stop wailing until about a minute later when he had calmed down. At that point, some of the other prisoners had woken up (though many hadn't - having possibly grown blasé about the issue.) The sound of Alana's footsteps were lost, and the sentries chalked it up to possibly some small animal (though they did try to keep the prison clear of vermin, some inevitably always snuck through.)

The guards near Shade's prison - in an outdoor area - were watching him patiently. That was for the time being, anyway. Shade being a rather massive creature made it hard for him to do anything sneakily, so their attention on his cell specifically was often drawn to perform patrols of the general area. One who knew of such patrols could possibly wait things out, if they had a place to hide.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#649 Posted: 04:59:21 04/11/2020
Shade heard the man yelling from within the walls but thought nothing of it. He heard cry’s like that many times from being here. He was curled up resting for the night. He was unaware that there will be a unexpected visitor to him that night.
---
SC
#650 Posted: 05:22:10 04/11/2020
The prisoner's scream was enough to make Alana a sweating mess! She jumped to the point where she thought she would fly. She put her hands on her mouth to avoid gasping too loudly. This was no prison. It was a madhouse! Once Alana was certain she wouldn't gasp or scream, she turned her hands over her ears to avoid hearing the awful language. Her father would just die if he knew what kind of despicable things those prisoners said to her innocent little ears. While her heart was still beating with the scream, she realized that the nightmare was a major break. With the prisoner screaming, the guards detoured their attention to him, and with the time it took them to calm him down, she went further into the corridors. The few prisoners that were there were either ignoring her or were too exhausting and depressed to call a guard about the unique visitor. Alana was feeling quite proud of herself. Maybe she should be a ninja.

After reaching a more deserted part of prison, Alana consulted the blueprints again. She got sidetracked, but luckily, the corridors were so straightforward than they were barely a maze. Perhaps the guards trusted no prisoner would be too encouraged to try escaping with such atmosphere, and even if they did, the prison was still heavily guarded... not enough for someone like her to sneak in though. It took her a couple of minutes, and finally, Alana reached the biggest part of the prison, which surprisingly, didn't have a roof. Looked more like a courtyard, though the cells were still rather depressing to look at. One thing was certain though, they were huge! Probably enough to have a baby behemoth fit. And there he was. That black shape... it could only be Shade the Scourge of Redwater himself. He was... massive! Probably bigger than a wyvern. Alana was so distracted by his presence that she almost didn't notice the men guarding him. Now what? Should she wait for their lunch break or something? How could she get them out of there?
---
First | Previous | Page 13 of 28 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 27 28

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me