Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Role Play > The Legend of Orion: Dawn of a New Legacy [Private]
First | Previous | Page 12 of 28 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26 27 28
The Legend of Orion: Dawn of a New Legacy [Private] [CLOSED]
A Guy Emerald Sparx Gems: 3639
#551 Posted: 04:29:26 01/10/2020 | Topic Creator
"Rredemption? You should be the ones praying for redemption for your sins..." the Ishulgite countered. "But who would you pray to? That false god of yours who sees your lives as something to toy with whenever his curiosity causes him to intervene? You cannot see the forest for the trees... We had hoped that you and your friends would be better... but you will always be slaves to your god."
With how long the prisoner had endured, Latnok could tell that conventional means would have limited, if any, effectiveness. Here was hoping that Raclaw could manage something. Leoquin, meanwhile, just waited patiently - the last thing he wanted to do was ruin anything, as talking to others wasn't one of his strong points.
---
I'm just... a guy...
redwes Diamond Sparx Gems: 8585
#552 Posted: 04:51:09 01/10/2020
Raclaw was hoping that Maverick wouldn't get too caught up with the prisoner, but of course understood the hybrid's frustration. "Maverick-- don't bother. There's no changing his ways; he believes in exactly what he's saying one hundred percent..," the Fur Dragon said easily reading the emaciated human's surface thoughts and turning his glance once again towards the prisoner. "Now, try asking the real questions and I shall do my best to.. interpret them even he may not directly express them himself. I'm sure all he wants is for us to stop bothering him and we can only do that once we get what we need. For our sake and.. and for his sake.," Raclaw then said immediately attempting to 'dig harder' into man's thoughts and accessing a random memory to show what he was capable of. He received flashes of.. torturing someone, pain? "Yes-- I can see now. Our friend here has caused a lot of *pain.* to many innocent souls.," Raclaw then simultaneously telepathed to his peers and sent the word 'pain' into the man's mind in hope of activating the 'pain center' of the brain.
---
<[ I’m Darin the gryphon! *screech* Want to know more or ask a question?]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:53:28 01/10/2020 by redwes
Felines Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10223
#553 Posted: 05:11:58 01/10/2020
The prisoner's little speech just convinced Maverick how long gone his mentality was. He really believed that the only way for peace was genocide. While he wished the Ishulgites could see the light, the grudge they had against Orion's group was too strong, so with pain in his soul, Maverick believed it was better if Aelinonians took care of them. He was certain they weren't above revenge against them if they weren't so heavily persecuted, especially Angora. He looked at Raclaw, deciding to leave everything to him. He felt so defeated. But they just started talking. Was he giving up in him too soon?

Angora and Ilasi were expecting a quiet yet progressive day in the house, but a little after noon, there was a knock at the door.
"I'll get it Ilasi. If it's that witch again, she'll see..." she said threatenly, ready to give Huntress the insult of her life... but it wasn't her.
"Marvelous! Fantastic! And I thought this day would be awful. The little troll. This is too good to be true." the man at the door said, immediately starting to examine Angora without her permission. She pushed him aside.
"Hey HEY! No touching!" she yelled.
"Ah right, forgive me. Miss Ilasi, you remember me, right? But I don't think the troll knows me. Name's Draikon. A scientist looking to improve the lives of the minority in Redwater, and hopefully all of Aelinon too. And you my little friend, you want to be accepted? Better start by being a little more respectful and patient, especially to your elders." the scientist instructed, generating a look of both embarrassment and confusion from Angora's part. She looked at Ilasi with a raised eyebrow.
"I came here to try to convince your husband once more to perform those tests on him. I already promised it'll be quick and that it won't hurt, but I guess he's not home yet, huh? You ladies mind if I enter for a while? You my genetic little wonderland, perhaps you would be more willing for a few tests? News were you and the faun man were great friends, and I see with my very own eyes it has to be true if you're here. But of course, the unique and rare find kindred spirits in each other. You must tell me everything." Draikon said exitedly, looking more like a kid than an older man. Tests? Scientist? Just what the heck was going on? And why was she never told about it? Or did she forgot? Angora didn't know whether to be angry or confused.
---
Real friends will be there... when you need them the most.
#554 Posted: 22:29:12 01/10/2020 | Topic Creator
The Ishulgite gave a very slight wince, but did not say anything further, instead looking down on the ground. Most of his thoughts would consist of the hope he once clung to - the hope that had been extinguished, with the sealing of Ishulgu. As no one else was speaking, Leoquin decided to hazard the first question.
"So... do you know anything about merfolk?" Leoquin asked. Some brief, indistinct figures would briefly flash in the prisoner's mind, but he did not answer the question.

Ilasi shuddered when she saw the man again - but she figured it would be rude to send him away before Maverick had a chance to speak to him (and, most likely, decline his offer.) "Uh, sure, come in..." she said reluctantly.
While Draikon was there, however, she would take advantage of the opportunity to propose her own questions. "So... is there anything in this for my husband? Do you have anyone to vouch for your whole, uh, process?" she asked. The man seemed almost giddy, for the opportunity for what seemed like a gross invasion of privacy. Maybe she shouldn't have let him in.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#555 Posted: 23:29:08 01/10/2020
Maverick wanted to wait to see what happened, but when the prisoner refused to talk, he spoke up.
"You know something, don't you? We went to a fortune teller yesterday and she explained to us these mermen were at the explosion that killed the children. You remember the children, right? Those innocent little angels you brainwashed into serving you? The ones you gave that impossible task? The ones you exposed?" Maverick said in a low yet, clear voice, trying to trip him into guilt. He didn't raise his voice once, but the vein in his temple was clear indication that he was VERY angry. He was frowning, something that was very rare in the faun man, but when he did, he looked... scary. He was the spitting image of his mother, but he resembled his evil father when he frowned.

Draikon smiled, almost as if he was amused by Ilasi's question.
"Straight to the jugular, huh little lady? Rest assure my dear girl. You may not know me, but the king and many of his servants know me very well. I have cured several viruses all around Aelinon before they had the chance to spread. I concocted many antidotes for poisons that were thought incurable. I'm quite the chemist, but I'm working on many other projects. Botany for example, is very interesting. I've taken some interest in weapons as well... sickening but necessary. I make them more successful but not deadly. Great for the Ishulgite people if you ask me. Oh, but you husband, he has faun blood in him. He's the next big thing. Fauns, an extinct species as far as we know, with only hybrids existing. Imagine if your husband contracted a disease that only affected fauns. With knowledge about him and his DNA, I could cure him. But if you want payment, I can arrange that as well. I'm a gentleman, so I don't intend to force him or you to go along with my experiment, but I can assure you, this will be for the greater good." Draikon explained carefully, wanting to make sure both Ilasi and Angora could be well aware of his intentions.

Angora was very skeptical. There was something about this man that she really disliked. If he has done so many good things for Aelinon, how come she never heard of him? She soon had her answer, almost as if he read her mind.
"I realize I have caused much discomfort with you ladies, so allow me to explain. If you really want to know more about me, talk to the king or his men. They'll vouch for me. My services with Aelinon have remained a secret, cause if people knew what I've done... well, I'll probably be some sort of celebrity, don't you think? And for my experiments, I need all the peace and quiet I can get. The children in my neighborhood are constantly curious about my home. They're nosy enough by themselves, and I don't need more people prying into my work. Chemistry can be a very dangerous profession if interrupted, you know." Draikon explained calmly, hoping that would make things clear. He knew what he wanted, and while he was being more insistent about the matter, he still intended to remain a gentleman and not make Maverick or Ilasi go along with his plan if they didn't want to. He did, however, intended to try convincing them.
---
#556 Posted: 04:55:55 02/10/2020 | Topic Creator
The Ishulgite's memory briefly flashed to a point where he was in a session of prayer before leaving to the main continent; no memory of the devastation there was present, and there was no indication of any direct involvement on his part.
Regardless, he remained silent on the matter; looking down, not caring to look the others in the eye. He had not answered any meaningful questions so far; he had no intention of doing so now. Latnok waited for any potential action on Raclaw's part, or any further questions; as far as he knew, he had no particular interest in this man's knowledge.

Draikon's provided reasoning seemed logical enough to Ilasi, if a bit convenient a reason. It certainly didn't rule out the possibility of clandestine research for a less savory purpose. Maybe she was overreacting... he did give a name, and was apparently known by the king. But what if he only said that because he knew that she wouldn't be able to check at that moment?
Besides that, he had a fair point - Maverick's unique constitution could pose a unique problem if he were in need of more intensive care. "I think it's fair to give Maverick the opportunity to make his decision on that," she said in acquiescence. "In the meanwhile, you may stay here while you wait for him, if you wish. I can get some food going, maybe some tea..."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#557 Posted: 05:58:26 02/10/2020
While Maverick and company were still trying to get some information from the prisoner, the girls were in a very different type of predicament.
"Some tea would be nice. But I don't intend to stay long. I can just return later or another day." Draikon said, unaware of the journey Maverick would take. He eyes Angora with interest, making her very uneasy.
"Well maybe your husband isn't here... but she is. Perhaps you'd be in a more... cooperative mood?" he asked Angora, taking a needle from his pocket. Has he been carrying that all this time?
"What!? No way! Get away from me!" Angora screamed, running to the kitchen.
"Another one afraid of a little needle? My oh my, everybody is so sensitive these days." Draikon said teasingly, putting the needle away.
"You can't just come everywhere and take blood samples out of everyone!" Angora scolded, feeling quite insulted.
"Take it easy little miss. It's not like I yanked your arm for a sample. Like I said, I'm a gentleman. You ladies really need to relax. If you don't want me to take a little blood sample, can't you at least tell me a little about your life? Past? Present? Indulge me. Everybody thinks trolls are these big, bloodthirsty beasts, but you're living proof they can be above all that. One of my missions is to improve the life of those who suffer from bigotry and misunderstanding. So if you can? Please?" Draikon asked nicely, feeling a bit disappointed that the ladies would feel so uneasy around him. Angora looked at Ilasi with skepticism, but maybe there was nothing wrong with telling him? Draikon creeped her out, but he has been nothing but nice to them since arriving. Most people referred to her as troll, little beast, or thing, but he has been calling her nice names like miss and lady, which was a nice change.
---
#558 Posted: 12:41:46 02/10/2020
Quote:
no memory of the devastation there was present, and there was no indication of any direct involvement on his part.

Raclaw could see this-- could see just a hint of hope within the man. "Please, I can see that you mean to do good.. meant to do good. My friend here is lost and you may be the key to his personal salvation; he's just looking for his people. As are many of us. And all we ask is information, for hope, for.. inner peace. And even in this place-- you may still serve that noble goal.," Raclaw spoke of the heart wanting to keep that ember of hope alit. He hoped to appeal to the 'inner soul' buried beneath layers and layers of sadness. Perhaps there still was a 'good person' in there somewhere...

"And.. and if it comforts you, we have made great strides. We could inform you of some of these strides and of what strides I've personally made between man and dragon.," Raclaw said briefly lifting a paw to his collar in a fashion not unlike that of before. A brief glimpse of a seemingly *seamless* collar could be seen, buckle long hidden and not set to be unhidden again unless under the most extreme circumstances. 'For life.,'-- he recalled the modification of the collar. He recalled being asked if he really and truly wanted what he and Latnok were asking for.. and he recalled saying yes spoken from the heart. He didn't want to think about what would happen beyond Latnok, his beloved friend and owner. And he imagined that this kind of bond could peak one's interest.
---
#559 Posted: 22:32:40 02/10/2020
After a quick morning job, Huntress retreated into her solitary treasure fortress, wondering if hoarding all these riches was such a good idea. When General Lyon intercepted Capain Armon Blakes' treasure, he said to the king that most have been lost and distributed throughout the sea by strong currents. Only a handful of the treasure was given to Seraos in order to spare the general most of his reputation. After Blakes' ship was intercepted, she made the deal with General Lyon to give her the rest of the treasure to her for her to hoard and let it's existence known only to her, the general and the few men that helped transport it there. She promised herself to let the treasure's existence known only if Aelinon fell into an economical crisis. She was afraid that too many riches would be badly distributed. She believed in the king, but not much in his men. Huntress wondered, would Seraos, who was practically her childhood friend, punish her severely if he found out about this dreadful secret? Would he imprison her even if she explained why she did it? After all, she was acting as an alternate bank, one that he didn't know about, but still money for the people if things ever looked dire. And why would he punish her? Not only was she her friend, but it was also thanks to her that Armon Blakes' rein of terror around the seas ended. If she hadn't manipulated Maverick back then, who knows if the evil man would still be alive causing deadly havoc.
---
#560 Posted: 23:44:18 02/10/2020 | Topic Creator
The prisoner briefly looked up at Raclaw before slumping again. The slight tinge of hope remained - was it something that could be salvaged?
Still, the man was hesitant to speak further. He looked up once more- towards the collar Raclaw was presenting. In his mind came brief glimpses of several dragons similar to Raclaw, together in a room, interacting with younger children; the memory remained only briefly, however, before his thoughts turned blank once more and he looked down once again.
The small detail didn't escape Latnok. Did that mean he knew about...? Maybe some further probing wouldn't hurt - he would let the others continue their work in that regard.

It was very clear how uncomfortable Draikon was making Angora, and Ilasi felt obliged to say something - but if he decided he wasn't going to push for any more samples of them, then perhaps no more needed to be done.
"I'm sure we could answer a few questions you have, sir," Ilasi answered. "So long as you don't try to take any more pieces of us... or press too hard." There. Polite, yet making it clear that there were boundaries. Ilasi awaited Draikon's response with slight trepidation.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#561 Posted: 00:30:17 03/10/2020
Maverick remained silent wondering if Leoquin had anything to say. He has been quiet all this time. But as the tension got thicker there, it was another kind of tension in the household. Draikon responded to Ilasi's comment in the same, polite matter.
"Of course. Of course Milady. Just questions. First of all my little troll friend, you think your condition is genetic? Part of a disease? Something?" Draikon asked.
"I think it's genetic. I think it's the same as human midgets." Angora answered, having seen midgets. Little humans, that weren't dwarves. They were a different kind of species. Draikon continued asking Angora about her previous clan, about her parents, and if there were trolls like her. There weren't other midget trolls, but Angora was in an informative mood. If Draikon could help improve her image, and maybe her species as well, it was worth a try. She told him about her parents, what they tried to do to her, about her brother, about the troll that liked shoes and how she lived alone for years. She left a few details about her life out, like Darkmatter and the manticore attack. Plus her magic, although he probably knew if he heard the story about the Ishulgite war.

Draikon took notes, and smiled widely.
"Delightful! Angora, you say your parents were going to eat you because you didn't grow, and that the troll that liked shoes plus your brother were bullied because of their different mentality. Haha! My theory is correct after all!" Draikon expressed happily, but when Angora looked confused, he elaborated.
"You see my dear ladies, we all think trolls are these big, bulky beasts that kill everyone on sight. Well, I believe that's not actually true, not entirely at least. Trolls are naturally hard to study in... in a field, but I've studied the ones in prison. Trolls have a very hard life from the beginning with the many enemies they have and the need to conquer and establish places for themselves, and sadly think that the only way to defend themselves from violence is by being violent themselves, and based with what you say, those who are seen as a threat to their mentality and way of life end up becoming food. You my little one, were very lucky. And look at you! You're loud but not the violent type. And your speech! You speak perfectly well unlike most trolls. You say you learn by yourself? That is truly impressive! I believe every troll has the capacity to speak fluently if they tried!" Draikon said, acting like a child who just received a new toy. In a way, he reminded Angora of Maverick. He truly was passionate about his profession, and was glad that for once, a human she just met didn't see her as a monster. She wasn't even offended when he called her loud.
---
#562 Posted: 00:49:57 04/10/2020
Quote:
The prisoner briefly looked up at Raclaw before slumping again. The slight tinge of hope remained - was it something that could be salvaged?
Still, the man was hesitant to speak further. He looked up once more- towards the collar Raclaw was presenting. In his mind came brief glimpses of several dragons similar to Raclaw, together in a room, interacting with younger children; the memory remained only briefly, however, before his thoughts turned blank once more and he looked down once again.
The small detail didn't escape Latnok. Did that mean he knew about...? Maybe some further probing wouldn't hurt - he would let the others continue their work in that regard.

'Is that..?,' Raclaw thought-- his collar clearly triggering something in the man; an memory. If this man knew anything about where or who he came from, than he hoped they could retrieve that information as well. He was glad at least that his collar still continued to serve as a key to his past. Without that collar, he would've never gotten closer to the Guardians. And without that collar, he and Latnok would've never become what they had become; Latnok having been a great help in helping him discover both himself and who/what he and his species could become. One of many reasons he ultimately chose to embrace the collar rather than try to reject or even potentially try to 'free' himself from it; the collar only continued to bring good things to him. If only the most common of folk didn't mistake that feeling for simply wanting to be owned or for simply not knowing any better. The choice to wear it may not had initially been his own, but that mattered not. It meant much much more and he wanted to wear it.. for a lifetime. Or several depending on context.

"Listen-- I know you're reluctant to talk to us, but we are not the guards and we are not here to make your life worse. We are all lost or abandoned souls and we sought you out not to inform someone higher up, but rather for ourselves.," Raclaw began to speak again this time letting the man feel some of his emotions. "I, myself, was lost without a purpose or cause until Latnok found me. I never knew my true parents and to this day.. I have never even seen another of my own kind. My search for that very thing has become not only that of myself, but also that of my beloved friend and companion-- it's.. it's my inner peace and he won't stop until we find it. Together.," Raclaw paused looking at and briefly offering what some referred to as 'love eyes' in felines and other domesticated species.

"Leoquin here is also lost; he's looking for his family and he believes that you may be able to help him. I also believe this and my previous offer holds true. Latnok and I believe we have made great strides in uniting man and creature. And we will gladly share some of these strides, so that we may help each other. One soul to another. Please. Please help us.," Raclaw then pleaded continuing to hope that they could appeal to the man's inner heart. He knew that his own parents once possibly spent time in a place like this and he knew that even just the slightest hope, knowing that he was safe, made all the difference in whatever existence they continued to live or not live in. And he hoped to do the same for the prisoner now, despite everything and the past.
---
#563 Posted: 03:41:36 04/10/2020 | Topic Creator
The prisoner looked at Raclaw, holding the gaze for a few moments before falling silent once more. His memories wandered back and forth; some of rather mundane things, such as his time with other Ishulgites back at Falcon's Beak; a few more relevant memories also appeared, albeit ephemerally. Most notably, there was a quick glimpse of a chaotic scene in the aftermath of a prisoner breakout.
"I would be of no use to you," the prisoner finally said. "I do not know the whereabouts of anyone but myself. My friends... many sacrificed for a purpose that would never come to fruition. I do not know where my closest friends are; I would not know where any of your comrades are at this moment." The prisoner's tone changed ever so slightly; perhaps a little more coaxing would do...?

While Angora and Draikon were deep in conversation, Ilasi was preparing tea. Things, at the very least, seemed to settle down; Draikon wasn't making the two girls feel any more uncomfortable. Before too long, Ilasi had three cups of tea poured out from a kettle, one for each of them.
She presented the cups on a tray she set down before the other two, before taking a cup for herself. "This is lavender," she explained. Lavender tea was always nice for helping to calm one's nerves. "Is there anything else I can get for you?" she politely asked Draikon.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#564 Posted: 04:19:19 04/10/2020
Maverick collected his thoughts, believing there was something that could convince the prisoner to cooperate for real.
"Well, some of your friends and companions are still alive somewhere, aren't they? Persecuted by beliefs that were forced upon them. Deep inside, you have to know that the methods were wrong. Genocide? Didn't you ever had second thoughts about that? Mi Angorita wanted peace, just like you, but she knew that exterminating entire races was wrong. Didn't you ever thought about that too? Señor Leoquin just wants his family back, and I have no doubts many of the Ishulgites running away and people that lost them just want to have a second chance. Can't you give that to them?" Maverick said, once again trying the guilt approach. It was one of the strongest feelings in existence.

But while the tension increased at the prison, it was lower in the Maverick household.
"Why thank you lady Ilasi. No, that would be all." Draikon responded kindly, taking the tea and taking a sip while the notebook was on his lap. Angora waited for him, knowing he would ask more. If he was a scientist, he was bound to be curious.
"So then, if I'm not mistaken, you're the troll that survived the arena almost six years ago. Now I'm sorry I didn't witness such historic event. And you also have magic, am I correct?" he asked, with Angora responding to the positive and giving him a tiny demonstration of her magic.
"Marvelous. And people still treat you badly? How foolish they are! You my little one, are a major breakthrough for your entire species. Cause you demonstrated trolls are not the bloodthirsty monsters our frail human minds believe they are." Draikon commented as he took another sip, Angora even feeling complimented.
"Not only were you pardoned by the people, but the king allowed you to live in the city of Redwater like another citizen, it means even he is changing his mind about trolls. Your size and contributions can't be denied of course, but the bigotry is still strong, and yet here you are." Draikon expressed, feeling honored to have met Angora at last.

Angora sighed, wishing more humans can have his mentality.
"Well, I wish it could be that easy. At the end of the day, I'm still a troll. And... well being friends with the one they call Scourge of Redwater doesn't help either." Angora said melancholically, but Draikon just smiled.
"So? You're just a good friend. Nothing wrong about that. I met this Shade fellow, and he is very nice. So I strongly believe the attack was nothing more than an unfortunate accident caused by a creature that didn't have any of his kin to teach him how to control it. It's no different than a child being left in the care of a bomb, without any instructions or guidance whatsoever." the scientist analyzed, making Angora smile. It wasn't often a human defended Shade. His reasoning was so sound too. Draikon left out the real reason why he visited Shade, not wanting to upset Angora when she was being so cooperative. She didn't suspect a thing, so dismissed the meeting as Draikon getting curious about a dragon like Shade, so the conversation continued...
---
#565 Posted: 22:27:43 04/10/2020
Quote:
The prisoner looked at Raclaw, holding the gaze for a few moments before falling silent once more. His memories wandered back and forth; some of rather mundane things, such as his time with other Ishulgites back at Falcon's Beak; a few more relevant memories also appeared, albeit ephemerally. Most notably, there was a quick glimpse of a chaotic scene in the aftermath of a prisoner breakout.
"I would be of no use to you," the prisoner finally said. "I do not know the whereabouts of anyone but myself. My friends... many sacrificed for a purpose that would never come to fruition. I do not know where my closest friends are; I would not know where any of your comrades are at this moment." The prisoner's tone changed ever so slightly; perhaps a little more coaxing would do...?

"I am sorry about your friends. I know that such a thing cannot be easy nor easy to live with after the fact. I.. I am a creature forced to experience the emotions of everyone, both the good and the bad. My abilities, my powers-- the collar helps regulate them, but they offer me little other choice. I know that what's done cannot be be undone and I know the future from where you're standing may look bleak. I feel this and I feel the pain of every lost soul on a daily basis; a mother may pass by in the street remembering her lost child and I have no choice but to experience her pain with her. Her memories and her lost.. become mine and believe me when I say that do *feel* this.," Raclaw said almost letting out a tear as he remembered one mother in particular. The mother in question had lost her son due to the actions (or accident) of Shade and he could never forget it. His abilities, for better or worse, also helped his memory greatly. And this ensured that he would remember the incident until the end of his days. For however long that may be..

"I.. I know that the past cannot be changed, but I am hoping that I can help change the future-- both for myself and for my friend here. I know that you cannot know their exact whereabouts as this exact moment, but even the slightest hint of their past whereabouts would be of great assistance. My friend here is desperate, I am desperate, and your actions today may allow you to sleep more soundly knowing that you helped a lost soul in need; or perhaps several even. I believe that some souls are destined to find each other and until they do-- they may never truly be at peace. And your knowledge, your memories.. they may help put us on a path to that peace. And we will never forget you.," the emotionally-burdened Fur Dragon then said still allowing the prisoner to feel his own emotions just as he had felt others' everyday after his collar's restrictions were lifted so long ago. Emotions from the heart.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:30:30 04/10/2020 by redwes
#566 Posted: 23:27:16 04/10/2020 | Topic Creator
"We knew... we knew that the cost would be high," the prisoner answered Maverick. "We knew there would be many who found such costs unacceptable. But... would it not all be worth it in the end? If you could ensure your children had a perfect world to grow up in, would you not do what you had to, to make it a reality? We... we were doing what was right. Maybe not then... but from the future, looking back. That was what mattered to us. Sacrifice the now - the future would vindicate us."
The prisoner listened attentively as Raclaw spoke. Though he did not know why, he felt that the fur dragon's claims of understanding and sincerity had some meaning to them.Perhaps there was something the fur dragon was onto?
"I know little of the fate of those who have escaped from us," the prisoner finally answered once again. "They went into hiding... our efforts to find them were thwarted by magic we were working to decipher. I have no further information - now leave me be." The prisoner slouched down once again, seemingly tuckered out from indulging the group just that much.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#567 Posted: 02:07:19 05/10/2020
Maverick didn't know if the prisoner talked about children to set an example or if he knew he had children of his own, yet while what he said made sense, it still didn't stop it from being wrong. All that talk about vindication made Maverick believed that, asides this better future the Ishulgites envisioned, if it was about glory as well.
"Gracias... for the reply señor. I... I hope you realize someday, that, no future is worth it, if it's at the cost of innocent lives." Maverick said sadly, depressed that the Ishulgites have been so misled. If they left, he knew that it would be the last time he would see him. The captured Ishulgites were fed to behemoths or executed some other way. He didn't know of one being left alive.

At the household, the conversation between scientist and troll remained. The people knew Angora lived in Redwater, but didn't know much else about her, not even the fact that she had a job. When Draikon asked if she lived in the house and what did she do for a living, he wasn't pleased with the answer.
"Wyvern caretaker? You are a wyvern taker... for the GUARDIANS!?" he asked, his demeanor changing so drastically that it almost scared Angora.
"Before you ask, yes, I know wyverns eat trolls. It's a dangerous job, but I know it well, and my magic keeps me protected. My employer pays me well, and gives me a whole week off each month to rest. I've had the job for five whole years! These bites, yes, they're from wyverns! But not from the one I take care of. You won't believe how nice he is to me. We're friends!" Angora explained, but Draikon hid his face in his hand. He didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
"You my little friend, you could be an ambassador for your whole species. You're a revolutionary discovery. And where are you? Working for Guardians, among your own predators! Do you have a death wish? Is it for the money? Or because you don't think you can do better?" Draikon asked, angering Angora.

But before she could rebuff his claim, he spoke again.
"Sorry to say this to you, but wyverns don't have friends. They have masters. I know. I've studied them a lot. Trolls are one of their main food sources. It's their instinct. Almost a necessity. Perhaps this friend of yours is smart enough to realize you're better as a servant than food, but how long do you think it'll last? Although I wouldn't know for sure. Guardians mess with genetics quite often. This wyvern is quite unique if it has suppressed the need to hunt you for so long." Draikon commented, estimating that whoever was this wyvern, was bred with enough brain to surpress such basic instinct, thus befriending Angora. She didn't believe him of course, but now she was wondering if she has just given Draikon a new subject to study...
---
#568 Posted: 22:07:38 05/10/2020 | Topic Creator
The information the prisoner provided wasn't only useful to Maverick; it also corroborated the information provided by the museum to Latnok and Raclaw. If Leoquin's family and Raclaw's family were all escapees from the clutches of the Ishulgites... then could they have gone to the same place?
"I don't think there's much more we can learn from this man," Latnok decided. "Unless the rest of you have any further questions, we're done here."
"Oh, I'm fine," Leoquin answered, content with the information he had received. The chances of them having an Ishulgite who specifically dealt with his family were rather low - it was always a bit of a long shot, but the information he received was more than he had counted on receiving before. "Thank you, all of you. And you... Ishulgite. I don't know what your name is, but thank you."
"If there is any hope left in this world, then may you find it," the Ishulgite responded. "Now please leave me be."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#569 Posted: 22:45:16 05/10/2020
Maverick put a friendly hand on the merman's shoulder, forcing a smile for his sake.
"Well, this is better than nothing. Now we know your family reconsidered their priorities and escaped the Ishulgites before they put their plans in motion. We know from the fortune teller that they were near the explosion that killed all... those pobres niños..." Maverick said with a lump in his throat before continuing.
"If we can return to that place, maybe we can estimate what their next steps were. Or we can try finding the fortune teller again. Or maybe another one?" he then suggested, knowing their options were limited. If they found a brand new fortune teller, would they be more willing to talk? If Leoquin's family was nearby when the explosion occurred, it means that either they were trying to help the children or that was the moment when they decided they had enough. Or perhaps they were looking to escape with the Enduring Legacy? One thing was for certain. Changes are they were in one of the many islands of that treacherous archipelago. Finding them was going to be overwhelmingly hard.

Angora was not far off. Now Draikon wanted to study Veris badly. Was he really that good at surpressing such strong instinct? Might not even be a wyvern. When he took a glance at the table and saw the job brochures, he wondered if those were meant for Angora.
"I have been thinking of looking for a new job. I don't want to hurt Veris' feelings, but the stress is killing me. I need a change in my life. I need a new job. But I know he'll understand." Angora expressed, trusting Veris, but Draikon was certain stress was not the thing Angora should be worried about. It was ludicrous the idea of a troll and a wyvern being friends.

Believing he has overstayed his welcome, he decided to stop the interrogation there.
"Well my little wonderland, if you need a new job, come to my house. You won't be a test subject, I promise. Just my assistant. I will pay well. I've been trying to prove to the people that trolls and other creatures are not the monsters they believe, and you are precisely what I need, so try not to get killed. The wyvern's feelings are the least of your concern." Draikon warned, going to be severely disappointed if Angora died. He still wanted to study the little troll, but only if he got her permission.
"Well ladies, it was... an informative afternoon, but I've been out of the office for far too long. Tell your husband the offer still stands. Now, if you excuse me..." Draikon said to Ilasi as he gave her the nearly empty teacup and headed to the door, giving one last look to Angora before leaving. What a horrible puzzle that man was. He really changed his demeanor when he found out about Angora's job.
---
#570 Posted: 23:07:51 05/10/2020
Raclaw offered a thankful nod to the Ishulgite before speaking for one last time. "A gift-- as promised. Thank you. For everything.," the fur dragon said while simultaneously sending a series of images to the prisoner; brief moments of man and beast working or playing together via the Salvation houses. He also elected to include a few images of himself.. being found by his initial caretakers, being found again by Latnok, and select key moments of his new life with Latnok and the Guardians. He then turned to Leoquin and the others. "Wait.. this fortune teller. Tell us more.," he then asked out of curiosity.
---
#571 Posted: 04:38:24 06/10/2020
"Oh... that." Maverick said, forgetting they never told the duo about their little expedition yesterday.
"We were asking around yesterday, and we found this giant fair on the other side of the city. We decided to have some fun while at the same time asked the guards that were around and found this fortune teller who gave us a free reading. She said señor Leoquin's family were on the island where the explosion occurred. You know, the one that... the niños..." Maverick started to say, not knowing how many times he could stand having such memory.
"Anyway, she said señor Leoquin's family were there somewhere and caught the blast, but they survived. And, she stopped. She stopped all of the sudden and closed the shop. I think she saw something that scared her." Maverick explained, wondering what could make a fortune teller stop a session so abruptly. Fortune telling was tricky magic, many times the source of scams, but that woman's reaction didn't seem fake at all. Whatever she saw, gave her genuine fright.

Angora closed the door since Draikon left without doing that. She looked at Ilasi.
"Well now, that's one way to ruin our quiet afternoon. Sheesh! What's with that guy? Good thing I didn't tell him I'm friends with a behemoth too. He would've flipped!" she commented, at first liking him even though she found him creepy, but now she was having second thoughts again. Friend was probably too strong of a word to describe Gregor, whom she barely visited, but it was still better she didn't mention it. Either Draikon really hated wyverns or looked at things too scientifically.
---
#572 Posted: 21:07:36 09/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Latnok paused for a moment to consider. "Did you tell her about an explosion beforehand?" he asked.
"No, we didn't," Leoquin answered. "I was skeptical as well at first. She offered the reading for free... and she just happened to pick up on those details. Also knew of the name 'Shepherd'. That couldn't have been an accident - she's the real deal."
Now Latnok was curious - but their business in this place was done. "Well, time for us to get going," he said. "We'll talk about it on the way out."
Before the party could go anywhere, however, another guard came around one of the corners, his eyes settling on the group once he identified them. "Oh, there you are - Latnok... and your fur dragon-"
"'The' fur dragon," Latnok quickly corrected.
"But he-" the guard began, before the other guard made a quick cutting motion across the neck with his hand to tell him to stop. "Nevermind... Raclaw was it? Yes. Anyway. The Scourge of Redwater is interested in speaking with you two. Would you like to oblige him?"
Latnok gave Raclaw a curious look. "What do you think Shade wants?" he telepathed to Raclaw. "Guessing to see how his buddies are doing."

Ilasi gave a resigned sigh. "Aelinon has many great scientists, but some of their more eccentric behaviors can often be incorrigible. I guess obliging them is the price we pay for advancement." Ilasi was very, very tempted to tell him to not bother them again, but Maverick still hadn't had another chance to speak with him.
"At the very least, he seems interested in helping bridge the gap between the major races of Aelinon and the minority species. That has to be a good thing, right?" At least, Ilasi hoped that was what he was after.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#573 Posted: 22:16:43 09/10/2020
Raclaw wasn't surprised by the guards' actions-- having seen Latnok react strongly to direct mention of his ownership on many occasions. He could understand the confusion though, seeing as they were presently in an prison where no person or creature had 'freedom' anywhere near what he had in Latnok's eyes. "If I had to guess-- he knows we can't get him out of here. And it has been some time since our paths have crossed.," Raclaw telepathically responded to the Guardian.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:21:44 09/10/2020 by redwes
#574 Posted: 22:17:20 09/10/2020
Maverick's depression vanished in an instant when he heard what the guard said.
"Oscurito is here!?" he said with a smile that almost reached his ears. It has been so long since he has seen Shade. How he's missed the big guy, and was certain he did too.

Draikon reached his home, being intact. There were a few kids around, which scattered as soon as they saw him. Probably trying to enter his house again the little monsters. Even so, he didn't have the time to hate children again. A scream from his part was heard, as well as some crashing. Draikon destroyed a few of his tables and drawers in complete fury. Even the sprites he kept as test subjects were concerned. It was common for Draikon to be annoyed, but never angry.
"What is wrong with every stupid creature and human lately!? The troll was pardoned in the arena, helped with the battle against the stupid Ishulgites, and who knows what many other things, and where she is now!?! Working with wyverns! Who is more stupid? The troll for not having another job or the Guardians for having her as an employee that could get killed instead of a golden potential? Aren't they suppose too be smarter than that!?" Draikon yelled, knowing that he was talking to himself, but he just had to get that off his chest. The sprites could understand him a bit, so he wasn't completely alone. Maverick was at least out of danger as far as he knew, but Angora was just as important as he was in terms of scientific potential, and yet she was working among her predators, the clock ticking dangerously against her. There was no way that wyvern saw her as a friend...

Quote: A Guy
Ilasi gave a resigned sigh. "Aelinon has many great scientists, but some of their more eccentric behaviors can often be incorrigible. I guess obliging them is the price we pay for advancement." Ilasi was very, very tempted to tell him to not bother them again, but Maverick still hadn't had another chance to speak with him.
"At the very least, he seems interested in helping bridge the gap between the major races of Aelinon and the minority species. That has to be a good thing, right?" At least, Ilasi hoped that was what he was after.

"Well, I just hope he's in the right direction. Many with good intentions often make things worse." Angora stated, having witnessed enough events that were done with the best intentions that turned out for the worst. The Ishulgites wanting peace? The Guardians giving up their humanity to be more competent at their jobs? Those were just a few.
"He gives me the creeps, but he doesn't seem like too much of a bad man. At least he didn't treat me as a freak or a monster when first meeting me. The fact that he carried a needle... yeah, too creepy. Not sure if I would accept a job with him, but at least I have another option." Angora then added, believing that after working with a bunch of wyverns out for her flesh for half a decade, she could handle any job. A laboratory sounded boring though, so she would consider other options first. For now, all she wanted was some moments of peace with her friend Ilasi. She hoped nobody else came to the house for a while, especially that Huntress woman. She wasn't in the mood for more interruptions unless they were Maverick or the kids, or maybe the three former pirates she loved so much. Come to think about it, she did have human friends; Sand Dune, Random and Opium, so her life really wasn't as socially bad as she thought. Plus there was Julian, whom she barely saw but was still nice to her even after all these years.
---
#575 Posted: 01:23:56 10/10/2020 | Topic Creator
"Well," the messenger began, "if this 'Asscureato' or whatever it is you just said is the Scourge, then yeah, he's here. Gods know for how much longer."
Latnok gave a shrug to Raclaw. "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to hear what he has to say," he suggested. "Okay, let's pay him a visit. You can take us to him."
"Sure thing. Right this way, Mr. Latnok and Raclaw," the messenger said.
The prisoner remained seated in the corner of his cell, slouched over once again - though perhaps maybe this time there was just a little more life in his eyes.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#576 Posted: 01:50:46 10/10/2020
Maverick's day brightened quite a bit, knowing he would see his old friend again. But how was he? Was he skinny? Depressed? Has he been treated well? He didn't want to believe the worst, but this prison didn't inspire happiness. Heck none did. But he trusted that someday, very soon, thanks to him and Angora, he could be returned to his family at last, and they could come visit him if he couldn't do the same. Right now, he knew he likely had to endure a whirlwind of hugs and licks once Shade saw him...

Angora and Ilasi's day would go smoothly for now. There was no sign of Huntress. Indeed the woman had other things to do, deciding not to obsess with Maverick and his family for now. She had a lot of research to have done, not just about Armon Blakes... but the lamp that seemed to be his most treasured possession, besides his son apparently...
---
Spyroconvexity Hunter Gems: 8609
#577 Posted: 04:53:37 10/10/2020
Meanwhile Shade paced back and forth near his cell bars. He wanted to see his friends again but at the same time he wanted to ask Latnok if he could put in a good word to the warden if his family could at least visit him once a year. He was unaware he was about to meet Maverick.
---
SC
#578 Posted: 05:14:30 10/10/2020 | Topic Creator
As the messenger set off with Latnok and his two companions, Leoquin gave Maverick a questioning look, before shrugging and following along. He didn't have much love for Shade, but the dragon had, at the very least, fought on their side against the Ishulgites.
The guard led the five through the winding, maze-like compound, with many of the passageways between sections being completely dark and needing a lighting spell or a torch to see at all (the latter which the guard had set alight at the appropriate time.) They would reach the end of one such passageway, where the guard opened a steel door, with the incoming sunlight being blinding by contrast.
After a second for eyes to adjust, it could be seen that the area was different from the point of entry - the guard led them further, to a larger, outdoor section. There were several massive cells, cut into the rock of a cliff; all were empty, save one.
Shade's. The Scourge of Redwater.
The guard led the five carefully, to the area immediately in front of Shade's cell. Many other guards were in the area as well.
"Well, here you go, Mr. Latnok," the guard leading them said. "The Scourge."
"Excellent," Latnok replied. "So, Shade. What do you need from me?"
---
I'm just... a guy...
#579 Posted: 05:36:32 10/10/2020
When the door opened he could see Maverick. He smiled as the approached. But he kept calm to avoid alarming the guards. “It’s so good to see you again especially you Maverick. But yes I wanted to ask a favor. Please could you put in a word to the warden. I need to see if my family, and by family I mean Angora and Maverick and possibly his kids could at least visit me once a year.” He said as he sat down. “Please it would mean so much to me.”
---
SC
#580 Posted: 06:16:31 10/10/2020
So this is where Shade has been kept all this time. It was a big yet sad place. It made Maverick crying. Once he saw Shade, he was expecting a bigger reaction from him, but then he realized poor Shade was containing his exitement to avoid being seen as hostile. What a miserable life he must be having. It angered Maverick how helpless he was to do something, and knew Angora would be just furious when she visited this place. Only once a year? Just what have they done to Shade to want such brief visits.
"Oscurito..." Maverick said as he approached the mighty dragolet without fear or hesitation. Shade has gotten bigger for what he could see. He pleaded for the guards to let him through, assuring them that Shade wasn't going to hurt him...

At Draikon's laboratory, the distressed scientist was pacing, too upset to focus on his experiments. Did the Guardians' brain were affected as well when they performed... whatever ritual they did that made them superhuman? Couldn't they realize what a goldmine Angora was in all the senses of the word? She was no better. Why? Of all the jobs in the world? Did the Guardians brainwashed her? He just couldn't fathom the idea of a troll being a wyvern caretaker. Plus she was small, so that made her a very attractive prey. No doubt it was her magic that has kept her alive all this time, but what if her luck ran out? If the wyvern strikes before she has a chance to react? Such a terrible waste. But wait. What if... he bought the troll? Even if Guardians presumed they were doing everything they did for the sake of humanity, at the end, their services was mostly for the money.
---
#581 Posted: 17:54:26 10/10/2020
Shade leaned down and pressed his head against the bars to allow Maverick to touch his head. “I know is a short visit but it’s the best I can think of right now. I don’t know when or if I’m getting out of here but I can assure you they are treating me much better than before. “ He reached out his extra limb for Maverick to touch. “Look I’m not even chained up anymore and they are actually giving me actual meat instead of fish.” He said trying to make Maverick feel better.
---
SC
#582 Posted: 20:15:54 10/10/2020
Maverick smiled again, not sure if Shade was lying for his sake, but he did look in good shape despite the conditions, so maybe there was some truth in that.
"Te extrañamos Oscurito. Angorita most of all. She told me she came to see you yesterday, but has to wait almost a month for it." Maverick explained as he hugged his extra limb, wanting the guards to see what a gentle soul he actually was. Why couldn't the realize what happened back then was an accident? Many people died for sure, but hasn't he paid enough? Maverick couldn't understand.

While things in the mainland were mostly quiet, very far from there, a certain girl manage to convince her friend to go there.
"Please, can't you have an adult to accompany us?" the siren boy asked.
"No we can't! If we do, they'll just stop us. Here, these are the clothes we'll use to disguise ourselves." the girl said, having stolen some of the human clothing her adult counterparts kept in order to blend with human folks if there was ever the need. For others like Farlo, such feat was much more difficult, impossible even. The siren was still very unsure, but his friend insisted so much, it ended up convincing him. It didn't stop him to be scared out of his mind though. After what happened to Sergeant Farlo, who knows what could happen to children like them. The satyr trusted though, that since they were just children, there would be no need for anyone to intercept them. It was an insane plan, but something had to be done for peace. Without the adults noticing, Misty the whale carried the two children in her mouth to protect them against the elements but also to avoid detection in case there were ships nearby. Strange children riding on the back of a whale was bound to get attention, especially since the archipelago's waters weren't as treacherous as before ever since the Ishulgites were stopped. Ships were more common now. This was the best course of action...
---
#583 Posted: 06:29:02 13/10/2020 | Topic Creator
For how... "touching" the reunion appeared to be, there were some practical issues with Shade's request. "You want to see your 'family' when hundreds of people won't be able to see theirs?" one of the guards asked sarcastically. "Don't count on it."
Latnok gave a very short shrug. "There's only so much I can do at this point," he said. "Unless Aelinon decides that it's in their best interest to allow such visits, enough to risk pissing off a good chunk of their people, then you probably won't see it happen." Well, they, or perhaps the Guardians - what sort of justification could they possibly come up with, however? Shade's crimes were enough to put anyone away for life. Aelinon did not typically give much in the way of amenities to those guilty of such crimes.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#584 Posted: 06:48:15 13/10/2020
“I know what I did was horrible but my services to Aelinon and her people all those years ago have to count for something. Please, that’s all I ask.” Shade said he still could never forgive himself for what he did but he has done many services to Aelinon before the war and after it.
---
SC
#585 Posted: 07:26:04 13/10/2020
Even though they made some little sense as they made, Maverick still didn't like the way Shade was treated. Sure he killed a lot of people, but that was just an unfortunate accident. Aelinon has done much worse, and he cringed to imagine how many families the hypocrites ruined, but as much as it pained him, he knew that he had to keep quiet or his opinion could come with serious repercussions.
"Well, seeing his family will make him happier, thus more competent with his job. Oscurito has worked hard, and I'm certain that if he could apologize in person to the people he wronged, they would feel like they have at least some little closure." Maverick suggested, knowing there were many people that wanted Shade executed already. He couldn't blame them of course, but it was still too unfair. Like Shade, Maverick also commited some atrocities, but he didn't mean any of them. Why couldn't Shade be given a chance? He was good.

The journey to Redwater would take several days by whale most likely, so the children had packed some supplies, but knew they had to stop at different places to prepare for the rest of the traveling. But while they were concerned about reaching the mainland, Angora had something entirely different on her mind. She helped Ilasi with chores, gave her some conversation and even played games, but even though it wasn't noticeable, she had a whirlwind of thoughts. Not only did her nightmare from last night had her concerned about how Veris would react to her quitting her job, but what Gregor said still bothered her. What if... Shade's days were numbered? She couldn't let it happen. He had a family. His biological family, who loved him and were waiting for him. Shade's mother trusted her, but how could she face her if she finds out she let her son get killed without doing much? Perhaps... she could bargain with the king to save her friend's life? And his freedom as well? Clearly there had to be something she could do that could convince the young monarch to release him. There had to be something she could offer him. Something that would please king Seraos enough to release him. But what?
---
#586 Posted: 02:23:26 14/10/2020
Raclaw looked at the others and then at Shade, pondering the possibilities. "Hmm-- that's the problem, isn't it? Even if we could get the king to agree.. he has to think of his people and I've *seen* how they feel about Shade. I've felt what they feel about Shade.," the fur dragon 'thought'/telecommunicated to his human counterpart. Indeed; his earlier story about the widow cursing Shade out on her way to or from the poor house was no joke. Hatred for the large Dragolet was still rampant enough, despite everything the 'Scourge' had done to help rebuild the city. "Perhaps, but it wouldn't be easy. The city is still very on edge-- for better or for worse.," he then said and warned in a somewhat neutral tone. He couldn't entirely ignore the widow and others whose feelings became known to him each and every time they stepped foot into Redwater. Chester remained mostly silent, not having much to say anyway.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:24:02 14/10/2020 by redwes
#587 Posted: 03:44:23 14/10/2020
Maverick was quiet for a little while before responding.
"Well, can't hurt to try." he finally said, still wanting to cling to hope. Despite his ambition and questionable methods, the king could be a reasonable man. There just had to be something that would convince him. Little did he knew, Angora was thinking the exact same thing back home.
---
#588 Posted: 04:53:07 15/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Latnok felt a telepathic voice in his head - but it wasn't Raclaw's. "Many in the new council are considering just having the Scourge executed, honestly," the warden telepathed to him. "He is considered too dangerous to allow to escape into the hands of the Silvianesti or any other potential enemy, and many people will forever resent the leadership for freeing him. From what I know, there will be some more discussion of it among the council. We know this as we are kept up to date on any potential change in arrangements."
"Is that so... interesting. Very well, I think we're done here," Latnok telepathed in response. "Seems we've done all we came here to do, and there isn't much more discussion to be had. Time for us to go," he said. "I have a lot of things to take care of." The guards were standing by, ready to escort the guests.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#589 Posted: 05:28:49 15/10/2020
“Please Latnok. One simple visit a year is all I ask.” Shade said.
---
SC
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:48:36 15/10/2020 by Spyroconvexity
#590 Posted: 16:03:05 15/10/2020
Maverick just wanted to scream. They haven't been reunited for a long time and after one measly minute, Latnok already wanted to leave.
"Can't you take his request? I've missed him. And Angorita too. Hasn't he paid enough? What happened was an accident. A horrible accident yes, but not something done out of malice. Why is that so difficult to understand?" Maverick asked, firmly believing that if Shade had been some rich man who had done the same thing out of evil, he would've been off the hook far more easily. The king and his guards were commiting atrocities everywhere for the sake of conquering, yet they weren't being punished.

After several hours of helping Ilasi around the house, Angora couldn't take it anymore. She was having a terrible headache with how many thoughts were going through her mind at the same time.
"Ilasi, do you know the quickest way to get an audience with the king? Planning to visit him tomorrow. It's... very urgent." she asked, knowing that having been raised in this miserable city and going through plenty of jobs, Ilasi had to know the answer.
---
#591 Posted: 16:14:17 15/10/2020
“Maverick please. You know I’ll always love you and angora. I couldn’t be any more proud for you both.” He leaned his head up against the bars. “I will prove to them I’m not just some monster.” He smiled.
---
SC
#592 Posted: 17:43:28 15/10/2020
Maverick frowned and sighed, not convinced. It has been five years already and Shade was still being treated as a monster. How could he prove anything if he wasn't given a chance? He doubted king Seraos took the time to get to know him like Angora was hoping to.
"Muy bien Oscurito. I'll... see you later I guess? Angorita went here yesterday to see you, but she wasn't allowed to. She did manage to make an appointment though. She will see you in less than a month." Maverick expressed, hoping that the prospect of Angora visiting him soon will keep him in a good mood and in very high spirits.

At Draikon's lab, the old scientist was having some painful thoughts of his own. How come people were so ignorant and stupid? A troll that could talk perfectly and knew magic? A man with the heritage of an extinct species? A dragon that was likely not from this planet? Another dragon with mammalian traits that was probably the last of his kind? He hasn't met the last one yet, but last time he heard, it was a mere pet for a Guardian. So many interesting beings, yet they weren't being shown an ounce of respect or interest, and in the troll's case, she was doing a job that could kill her at any day. Draikon wasn't sure for how much longer Angora's magic will protect her, and if she was as fond of this wyvern as she said she was, he doubted she would have the guts to defend herself from the beast should it ever decided to kill her for leaving. Such thoughts were like needles inserted in his brain. It would be a terrible waste if a creature such as her died before being studied and observed thoroughly.

Tormented by these thoughts, Draikon decided it was time to do something. The fur dragon and the faun man were safe enough at least, and there was nothing he could do for Shade, at least for now, but perhaps the troll had some hope. He knew what he had to do. He had to visit her boss; the leader of the Guardians. Such a task was not going to be easy, but Guardians frequented the city quite often, so it was a matter of asking one of them to take him to the base, even if it was blindfolded to keep the location secret. If he could buy Angora and relieve her of her contract with the wyvern sooner than established, he could save the little thing from the wyvern's wrath before it found out she was planning of quitting her job as it's servant.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:38:29 16/10/2020 by Felines
#593 Posted: 09:18:16 16/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Latnok didn't have any further words to say as the guards led them out of the dreary compound. He mulled over the information provided to him by the warden; whether such a thing was worth telling Maverick. For now, he didn't deem such a thing to be worth telling to the faun man; there was nothing that any party would gain from it.
Instead, as the group was finally brought past the outer gates before they were shuttered, he considered the information he received - escapees from the Ishulgites, at least those ones which didn't end up drowning or meeting some other similar fate, managed to escape somewhere protected from attempts to search for it. Considering the magic the Ishulgites had at their disposal, such a place inevitably had a significant ward against scrying, and it was possible some glamor factor made simple scouting ineffective. The protections didn't have to be more powerful than Ishulgite magic (which was extremely doubtful); they just had to be powerful enough to make the Ishulgites feel that the search was not worth the effort.
Leoquin was looking for that information, but it just happened to be of great benefit to Raclaw as well. The trip was much more productive than Latnok had expected.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#594 Posted: 22:53:05 16/10/2020
Maverick followed without question, giving one final glance to Shade before he was out of view. Not only was Shade good, he helped quite a lot against the battle of the Ishulgites. Prisoner or not, he would've helped either way. Nothing he could do would bring the people he killed back, but was certain he help prevented other lost lives. Shouldn't that compensate a little? He wish he could do more, but he would be helping Leoquin now. Even though he wished he could do something for Shade, at least Angora would remain in the city, sort of, and was certain she wasn't going to stay still with his sentence.

After much thought, Draikon changed his plans. Instead of leaving his home tomorrow and look around the city for a Guardian, he would wait for Angora's weekly break to be over and go with her. It wasn't going to be too progressive studying Veris alone, so it was better to just wait for her to get back to work and see the interactions. The Guardian's wyverns were somewhat different from the ones Aelinonians had, and while Draikon never motivated himself to go to Guardian base to study them due to how much he despised the ascended humans, perhaps it was time to leave that displeasure behind and observe the beasts... or at least Angora and Veris in particular. It was almost adorable how much the little troll considered the wyvern her friend, but she needed a slap back to reality. No matter how much you alter their genetics, Draikon firmly believed thousands of years instincts were impossible to surpress, and unless he did something, he was certain Angora's days were numbered...
---
#595 Posted: 23:26:49 16/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Ilasi thought for a few moments - the king wasn't a person just anyone could get access to, and for good reason. Unless one was a VIP, they had to file a request for an audience with the city council, who would send it to a central agency which, after determining which ones rated a meeting with the king at all, would sort them in order of importance before assigning dates to them.
"Unless you know someone who has direct access to the king and is willing to help you out, the only way I can see you getting an immediate audience with the king is by bringing up a national security issue which requires his personal attention - something which has potential to cause catastrophic damage to life or property, or would have a drastic impact on national unity. Besides that, you won't have much luck, I'm afraid, unless you see him out in public, unoccupied, and his guards don't chase you away." Though Ilasi didn't want to press, she wondered what could cause Angora to want to see the king so urgently. Was it about Shade? If so, why so urgently? Shade had been prisoner for years - he wasn't going anywhere.

When they had walked a little more, with Latnok heading back to the shelter to fetch the egg, Latnok grew curious. "So... this mystical island. The one the Ishulgite told us about, the hidden place. Do you guys intend on finding and reaching the place?" he asked Maverick and Leoquin.
"Well, actually, yes," Leoquin answered. "See, we've already arranged transportation - with Risar."
"Risar? Interesting. I saw him not too long ago," Latnok replied. "If you're voyaging with him, then you're undoubtedly in good hands. However, how exactly do you plan to find the place? The Ishulgites couldn't find it - well, at least not with any amount of effort they cared to invest at the time. They probably would've once they conquered the mainland."
"Yeah, you see... that's something we're hoping to figure out soon," Leoquin admitted. "But it's my fault my family has disappeared - I have to bring them back. That is, if they're not happier without me..."
Leoquin realized that was something he had never considered. Considering the issues he caused, was he really right to search for his family if they were living a peaceful life in a place where they didn't want to be found?
---
I'm just... a guy...
#596 Posted: 01:43:05 17/10/2020
Angora rolled her eyes, being pretty obvious that the king would be so hard to access.
"Of course..." she said sarcastically, knowing it was going to be a humongous headache an audience with him.
"I guess I'll have to ask Sere's help again." she finally said, knowing nobody else had as much access to the king as he did, none that she knew anyway. Sere was decent enough to her as it was, and he did helped with some favors from time to time, but this might be too much. Still, she was going to try. Too bad Julien didn't have that much of an influence. He was the only one of the Guardians she genuinely liked.

Maverick had some plans of his own. There was still some little time before they headed off to sea.
"The Ishulgite was enough help, but as soon as I get Dahlia, I'm going to the fair to find that fortune teller. She's the real deal for sure. There has to be a way to convince her. That look... I don't think it was fear. I think... it was shock more than anything." Maverick commented, still thinking about that reading. What did she see to make her act that way? The secret island? Did she wanted it to remain secret and that's why she didn't say anything? After such information, he believed that has to be the reason why she went silent. However, he still wanted to help Leoquin, but at the same time keep the island secret. Maverick didn't agree with Aelinon, and if they knew about a secret island, there was no doubt in his mind they'd want to conquer it.
---
#597 Posted: 21:23:52 18/10/2020
"I don't know about fortune tellers, but if she knows anything about where this secret island may be...," Raclaw thought outloud looking at the others. If the path to finding Maverick's kind meant finding his own as well-- then he hoped that it was true and that no-one was simply taking them for a spin. He and Latnok had been searched for literal years, so he wanted to believe in it. If some sanctuary or haven had been hiding his people all this time...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:28:29 18/10/2020 by redwes
#598 Posted: 02:18:35 19/10/2020
"Buena suerte. Señor Leoquin and I tried to reason with her yesterday, but she refused to talk. She even purposely missed the chance to give another reading and get paid. She closed the shop and lost potential customers even." Maverick explained, just to give an idea on how tough the woman would be to convince. Being a merchant, convincing had to be one of his talents, but not even that was enough to make the fortune teller tell them more.

At Zandar Swamp, the search for the shapeshifter was still ongoing, even though Huntress believed it was a humongous waste of time. If the shapeshifter had half a brain, it would know that it's being tracked now, and this place would be the first one to investigate. Huntress looked around the city, hoping that by some miracle, she could spot it, but she knew little to nothing about shapeshifter, and so far, none of the soldiers have found anything even with wizards and their special equipments aiding them. Perhaps it ran off to a place similar in secrecy as Zandar Swamp? There were plenty of places like that around Redwater, but where to start? If she tried finding this shapeshifter, Huntress knew she would waste time. Maybe it was better to leave this job to others and do what she did best while knowing her limits.
---
#599 Posted: 22:23:58 19/10/2020 | Topic Creator
"Well... if you get any more info from this fortune teller, feel free to stop by and let us know," Latnok said. "We've been looking for leads on the whereabouts of Raclaw's fellow dragons for a long time. We have to bring an egg back to the Guardian headquarters, and check on one of our more unique guests back there, but besides that, we should be back within the next two days." Raclaw and Leoquin were both looking for the same thing, at around the same place - it made sense that their destination could also end up being the same.
Yes, this trip was very productive - even if Maverick and Leoquin only sought to use him and Raclaw.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#600 Posted: 23:11:14 19/10/2020
"So this secret island, could it be that fur dragons are located there too? Wow, not only would we find señor Leoquin's family, but señor Raclaw's as well. This is a trip worth taking indeed." Maverick said, making sense that the island would be a sanctuary of sort for all kinds of folks escaping the Ishulgites. It must be quite a miraculous place if it managed to escape Ishulgite detection. He was certain they had control of each island in the archipelago, but with all the information they gathered, apparently it wasn't the case.

Before they would go their separate ways, Maverick had something to ask.
"Señor Latnok, do you mind if I borrow señor Raclaw a while? I know it would be good if Dahlia sees him. Sometimes wyverns fly off the distance and it scares her. But she knows him. And I know she will be happy to see an old friend even if it's someone she might be a little afraid of." Maverick asked, knowing that Raclaw was still technically a dragon even if he didn't look the part. His real objective though was to get Raclaw alone since Maverick needed a big favor from him.

At Ilasi's house, the children were making their way from school. Alana beat her brother into the house as usual, almost always treating it as a competition. With her mind full of negative thoughts, the siblings' arrival was just what Angora needed. Alana kissed her mother and then hugged Angora.
"Oh mommy! You won't believe it! I became quite popular ever since bringing Angora to school. The teacher even asked me if I could do a thesis on her. Can you believe it!?" Alana said excitedly, knowing this was her moment to shine... and Angora too. The troll wasn't entirely certain how to feel about that, but perhaps this was the chance to prove not all trolls were bad. Maybe this was the chance to gain some little respect from people at last, and what better than idealistic children to start? Despite her intelligence, Alana didn't have the best of grades, but a task that made her happy was bound to change that.
---
First | Previous | Page 12 of 28 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26 27 28

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me