Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Role Play > The Legend of Orion: Dawn of a New Legacy [Private]
First | Previous | Page 11 of 28 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 27 28
The Legend of Orion: Dawn of a New Legacy [Private] [CLOSED]
redwes Diamond Sparx Gems: 8585
#501 Posted: 04:02:58 16/09/2020
"Well-- that's settled now.," Raclaw said the ball having been passed along metaphorically speaking. "Are you okay?," Chester asked sensing some regret or sadness in the Fur Dragon's tone. "Yeah, I'll be alright. You know-- you and Latnok have proved more loyal than any dragon. I.. I hope you know that.," he then said with a somewhat sad-but-gentle smile looking at the only two companions who had never left him; he could never imagine he and Latnok/Chester ever separating. He offered another smile at the Beagle and subtle engraving etched into the small canine's collar. "Man and dragon's best friend--," it had certainly applied to Chester and the love he shared equally to both he and Latnok. And yet.. no wild dragon seemed to be able to understand that that very same concept could apply to dragons as well. You would think he were betraying his own kind just by thinking of working with a human. And meanwhile, the humans themselves were slowly starting to understand that concept. Neither being a pet or being a 'canine-like individual' made him any less of a dragon.
---
<[ I’m Darin the gryphon! *screech* Want to know more or ask a question?]
Felines Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10223
#502 Posted: 04:26:30 16/09/2020
Throughout this time, Draikon left the secret room and returned to the lab, feeding the sprites he kept and making a list on what he planned to do tomorrow. He combed his hair and five o clock beard obsessively afterwards. He almost couldn't believe how late it was. At the same time, near a friendly neighborhood, a wyvern was landing. Alana managed to spot the silhouette, which was just a couple of miles away. Using the small binoculars her father gifted her last birthday and that she usually kept with her, she managed to see the wyvern... and... Angora?
"Tyrus! Tyrus! Come check it out! I think that's Angora. She arrived on a wyvern. Man she's lucky!" Alana said with jealousy, Angora being able to ride a wyvern almost every day. And if it was true what Maverick's mute friend signaled, she was also friends with the behemoths. Couldn't she get any cooler? A troll very small in size, who had magic, could befriend giants and was close to Orion the main deity. How come nobody has written a story about her?

Huntress was ready for a long sleep, intending to get up first thing in the morning to follow up any clues about the dragon, unaware that someone already beat her to it. But while she prepared to rest, the merman was busy removing all the bounty papers he placed. It was a poor move of his part and not knowing Huntress wasn't the only one who saw it. A dragon bigger than the Scourge of Redwater would get too much attention. Thankfully, no Aelinonian guard seemed to notice the adds, so once he manages to remove them all, he was going to burn them. The dragon hated him now, although he couldn't really blame him. The beast didn't act evil. Quite the contrary. The merman warrior's code was to protect Aelinon and it's citizens at all costs and be helpful and grateful to your companions, for they save your life as much as you save them. You owe each other. The dragon did saved him and his companions, but at the same time could be a threat to Aelinon in the near future. How would the saying apply in a time like this? He would violate one part if he followed the other. What to do...?
---
Real friends will be there... when you need them the most.
Spyroconvexity Hunter Gems: 8609
#503 Posted: 04:57:19 16/09/2020
Orion saw this merman and used his telepathic ability to show the crimson dragon there are good humans. “Please I wouldn’t be trying this hard to protect you if I didn’t care. I failed to protect dragon kind once. I won’t give up now. Please just listen to this one human and fur dragon. They helped the black dragon known as the Scourge of Redwater keep his life.” Orion said as he pleaded with the dragon. “Please.”
---
SC
#504 Posted: 05:32:43 16/09/2020
But there was no answer. The crimson dragon had a new form now, one that couldn't hear what Orion was saying. There was a good reason why this particular shapeshifter has avoided detection for so long. Ironically, due to a heroic act, he was under the radar now, and his peace, his freedom, was all in jeopardy because of one good deed. While he wanted to regret saving them, the circumstances in that very moment were too extraordinary to ignore.

After getting off the wyvern, Angora headed to Maverick's house. But it was empty.
"Nobody home? Heh, well how about that? Here I am promising I will arrive before nightfall and none of them can do that." she said to herself, though it was more of a casual comment than actual annoyance. She was expecting at least Ilasi to be home by now. The children had to be out of school already, so they were likely with the neighbor. But she would wait for them to come when they were ready. Afterwards, Angora used a spare key Maverick gave her and opened the door to the house, immediately grabbing a snack and lying down in the couch after remembering her room belonged to Leoquin for the time being. Good thing the couch was so comfortable too. It was an incredibly long day, and Angora was looking forward to do nothing.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:57:50 17/09/2020 by Felines
A Guy Emerald Sparx Gems: 3639
#505 Posted: 05:53:53 16/09/2020 | Topic Creator
So Angora flew back? Tyrus wondered where she might've gone today, that she needed to be flown back. "Mom says she knows a guy who can get us a ride on a wyvern if we're good enough! Do you think that's true?" he asked, more to put the thought out there than for an actual expectation of an informed answer. Angora seemed to always have all the fun rides - Tyrus wanted to give one of the more exotic creatures a try for once.

Not too far, however, Ilasi would be coming home. She had a few of her personal bags full, mostly filled with goods from her shopping trip.
She opened the door to find Angora already waiting for her. "Good evening, Angora," she greeted, as she set the bags - all quite weighty - down on the kitchen counter. She had really been out much longer than she had anticipated. Maybe she got a little too carried away - but there were some rather exotic ingredients in the market that weren't normally there. Apparently, the traders came in with many of the people who were at the fair, which Ilasi didn't even realize was in town.
First things first, though. She had to get some food prepared for her guest.

Latnok knew exactly what Raclaw was feeling, and not just because of their shared connection. "Most humans want absolutely nothing to do with me unless they need something from me," he shared. "Yet you two have been my most staunch allies, with only the other Guardians being comparable. That means more to me than most could ever imagine - the fact is, a man's worth is typically judged by what he achieves. You are living proof that there are those who care about not only what I do, but about me, the person. And that is more than I can expect from anyone else."

The Guardians were typically very quick in action, and this time was no different. Several trackers and hellhounds were already out at the swamp, using information provided by Latnok to find the initial trail.
---
I'm just... a guy...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:01:44 16/09/2020 by A Guy
#506 Posted: 06:33:53 16/09/2020
"I knew you were a good person not long after I set sight on you.. it was a gut feeling, you know? And after we began to work together, after you accepted my collar, and after you even agreed to take me in on a permanent basis-- you only confirmed that gut feeling time and time again. Your actions helped, but it was that gut feeling that made me want to choose you. It wasn't the food or the protection or even the roof over my head that made me continue to want to be with you, but it was simply.. you, the person inside you. I could've chosen anyone, I could've chosen a wild mistress over you-- but I saw something in you. I looked at you and something told me that we.. we both needed each other. We complement each other, we help each other, and without you-- I would never feel whole again. I mean that.," Raclaw responded looking up at Latnok with a look not unlike that of a loyal dog to its loving and loyal human master. Their friendship was no originary friendship and their bond was no originary bond; the 'relationship' that a companion/mount/pet had to its friend/rider/owner was something special indeed. And their unique circumstances had only made that unique relationship even more unique.
---
#507 Posted: 20:20:37 16/09/2020
Angora had wanted some time alone, but was still glad for the company.
"Oh. Hello. I see it was a busy day for you as well." she said teasingly after looking at her bags, feeling quite envious of her for having a husband that took such exceptional care of her. How Angora wished she could have someone of her own like that, someone to take care of her instead of the other way around for a change. Maverick was a good friend, but with his own family, his time was more compromised than ever before.

Alana answered her brother.
"It has to be. I don't think they would lie to us about that. Besides, Angora works as a wyvern caretaker, so we could get permission from her." Alana stated, in turn jealous of Angora for all the cool things she got to do. Another glance at her house and Alana could see her mother arriving.
"Look Tyrus. Mom's there too. She just arrived. Haha, they arrived almost at the same time." she commented, believing Angora and her mom were such good friends they thought alike in many things.
---
#508 Posted: 04:53:46 17/09/2020 | Topic Creator
The children had all had a most joyous time playing with Sozen, and those who didn't get to meet him were soon longing for the chance. The caretakers didn't promise them anything, however, on account of not wanting to force Sozen to do anything in order to allow him to pace himself during his own healing.

Tyrus was pulled away from his daydreaming by Alana's alert, being ready to come home. They arrived to the smell of cooking food, and several new toys - a mix between some foreign dolls and clockwork figures - were laid out for them to easily spot. Their mother was home - and Angora was as well - but their father still wasn't.
Tyrus immediately came to his mother. "Hello, Mom!" he enthusiastically greeted. "Where's Dad?"
"Oh, Dad? He's been busy with Leoquin and some other business today," Ilasi answered, being deliberately vague. "I don't know when they will get back, but they should be here before nightfall." Was Huntress really sick enough to drag their beautiful children into Maverick's past?

With all of the business settled, it was time to return to the Salvation House. "I think it's time we get some more grub in our bellies, wouldn't you agree?" he said. "I'll prepare something nice for you two, and then it's a bath for Chester once he's done. Remember, we have to rendezvous with Maverick and Leoquin tomorrow to have a talk with the warden about meeting one of the Ishulgite prisoners."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#509 Posted: 05:09:12 17/09/2020
"Agreed-- and I remember.," Raclaw said briefly rubbing again Latnok before following. Chester offered a slight frown upon the mention of a bath but didn't verbally complain having grown used to them and water in general. The little dog then proceeded to jump onto Raclaw, accidentally or perhaps not accidentally splashing a small amount of mud onto the Fur Dragon. "Yes-- food sounds good!," Chester barked offering his version of smile to both Latnok and Raclaw. The Ishulgite prisoners no doubt wouldn't find Raclaw 'cute' once he began to mess with their minds, but that was the nature of his job. A powerful mind under an adorable lovable fluffy package; and hopefully it wouldn't even come to that.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:11:42 17/09/2020 by redwes
#510 Posted: 05:43:39 17/09/2020
“It’s time to leave children. I’ll see you tomorrow. For now I must rest.” Sozen said. It was fun playing with the children and giving them a little history of his kind. “I’ll tell more stories tomorrow.
---
SC
#511 Posted: 06:24:56 17/09/2020
Alana had stuffed herself with their old neighbor's cooking earlier, immediately checking the toys her mother brought after giving a brief greeting to Angora. The little troll rubbed her eyes, figuring her attention would be quickly distracted with so many little trinkets. Angora was curious too, but was very hungry, so she happily accepted Ilasi's meal. She wanted to sleep early today, but decided to wait for Maverick, not to mention that she won't be able to sleep with the living room full.

From mission to fun is how Maverick and Leoquin's day went. The blue sky was soon greeted by a pretty orange light and a few stars showing up. The fair was beginning to close.
"Increíble. Can't believe it's this late. We should head off for today señor Leoquin. We got a great lead and we got to have fun. I'd say it was a great day. Let's go home now." Maverick suggested, missing the fair already but at the same time glad it closed in time. He apologized to Dahlia once they got her, knowing he promised to get her soon and broke it. The dirt buffalo forgave him fast, and both headed to their destination, with Maverick remembering they had a prisoner to talk to tomorrow but wondering if it was necessary now that they had a huge lead. He just hated the idea of visiting one of those prisons, especially since he was in one when Laszur captured him, but a fortune teller wasn't enough. They had to get everything they could. For now, it was time to get home, give Dahlia a good meal and refreshment, have a nice meal himself and sleep the night away at the company of family and beloved friends. Little did he or Leoquin knew that they were followed by the fortune teller, using the still night to hide...
---
#512 Posted: 22:50:35 17/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Maverick had to get going to his family, but Leoquin decided to search for Risar. With any luck, the minotaur would be on board with their plans - it was a rather ambitious goal, but there was potentially much to be discovered, and Risar certainly didn't seem like the type to pass up the opportunity. It was just a matter of meeting him at his usual haunt.

Some of the children groaned, but the older ones were easily able to accept Sozen needing a break. The caretaker eventually called everyone back for their evening meal, leaving Sozen to rest. Someone would bring his own food later according to what he required.

After preparing the meals for his friends as promised, and giving Chester a much-needed bath (despite his potential displeasure), Latnok was ready to hit the sack. He himself didn't necessarily need as much sleep as his companions to function, though he certainly did appreciate taking advantage of that luxury when he wanted to. He was ready to head out now. As he prepared to go to sleep, he wondered - just what would happen with that dragon?

Latnok's predictions were indeed correctly - there were already several of Aelinon's patrols throughout the swamp, as well as some Guardians on high alert. The swamp, at this point, was essentially under total surveillance.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#513 Posted: 23:32:15 17/09/2020
Maverick returned home after putting Dahlia in her pen, hugging his children, kissing Ilasi and then hugging Angora as well. She was family after all, and he knew she sometimes felt left out, so he always made sure to pay much attention to her even at the risk of Ilasi getting a little bit jealous. The children didn't mind, so they were less prone to it, especially since Angora wasn't in their lives for three whole weeks each time.
"Where's Leoquin?" the little troll asked.
"Oh, he decided to search for señor Risar. I suggested tomorrow, but he couldn't wait." he explained, understanding his position. It was his family in the line, so naturally, he couldn't wait. He would've done the same in his position. Now that he was home, Maverick decided to tell their plans.
"Might as well tell you, we're going on a voyage soon to search for his family. I offered to help him so that he wouldn't feel too alone." Maverick confessed, and while Alana was exited, Angora was worried.
"Another voyage? Seriously? I thought you were done with the sea." she complained.
"Well, sí, but this for señor Leoquin. For his family. Su familia. He has gone through many years without knowing what happened to them, but after much research today, we have a lead, and we will follow it. Of course, that would mean leaving the job for a while, so I hope you don't mind mi amor. There's plenty of money in the bank for you and the children that would last for months, although I intend to return in just a couple of weeks." Maverick explained to Ilasi, knowing she wasn't going to like it, but at least they wouldn't have any money troubles for a long while. He has made sure to save up ever since starting the job.
"Oooh, a voyage? That sounds fun! Daddy, can we go?" Alana asked enthusiastically before letting her mother answer, wanting to go wherever her father went.
"No way Alana! This is still a school month. You're not going to leave your education. Besides, I will return very soon." Maverick replied, much to her overwhelming disappointed. How she wished the voyage could've been during Spring Break or summer, but even if it was, Maverick wasn't going to let her come. The archipelago didn't have the treacherous storms from years ago, but it still had other kinds of danger. Angora was also disappointed, but for very different reasons, leaving Maverick to console her too.

Neither the Guardians nor the Aelinonian soldiers had to worry about the dragon showing up in Zandar Swamp for a while, for the beast knew better than to show his face where he knew he was wanted. He was under a new form now, a form nobody would suspect and that didn't draw attention. He wanted so badly to kill the ungrateful merman that put a bounty on his head, and if he could, also make the furry dragon's blood run cold, but right now, he knew he had to lay low, for months if necessary.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:36:42 17/09/2020 by Felines
#514 Posted: 00:01:33 18/09/2020
Raclaw and a now freshened up Chester were soon asleep; the former's job indeed demanded much of it. The life of a mount had its perks, included but not limited to an ample source of exercise to no doubt keep one's wings fit for flight for a long time to come. As for Leoquin's search for Risar, the merman would catch the sight of the large minotaur about to enter an abode followed by a smaller almost child-sized dragon.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:05:38 18/09/2020 by redwes
#515 Posted: 02:23:46 18/09/2020
Unable to sleep, Draikon once again headed to the entrance of the tunnel, only this time was to plant some special seeds that didn't need sunlight to grow. He had been wanting to do this for a while, but was always too busy with other things that he either forgot or postponed it. Right now, with the lack of sleep and time to spare, he took the opportunity to do so. Huntress was already alseep, thinking of tracking the dragon a bit more tomorrow, but not intending to keep it on for far too long after all the time she wasted chasing after another supposed dragon.

At Myth Island, Sergeant Farlo had a lot on his mind. One of his dearest friend, a nymph with great leadership skills, approached him. Nymphs were rare on the island. While camouflaging with nature was still in their genes, they didn't need it here, and unlike their ancestors, they didn't dance to satyr music. Much has changed.
"Still thinking about that dragon, aren't you?" she asked, knowing her friend too well.
"It's just... I can't stop thinking about that moment. The way the dragon looked at me. It wasn't a malicious glare. It was... happiness? I don't even know how to describe the emotion, but... I think he was there specifically to save me. I've known General Lyon for a while, and while he has honor, he is too loyal to Aelinon. If he tells the king about the dragon, he'll be a goner for sure." the distressed centaur said, knowing that regardless of actions, dragons were just too despised by Aelinonians, perhaps even more so than other creatures like trolls and orcs, and after what the Scourge of Redwater did, he doubted very much they would change their views anytime soon. Finding peace among humans was a mission they've had for decades, and if they, who have done nothing to them, were win danger from them, dragons even more so. The nymph understood her friend's concern, and wished she could do something...
---
#516 Posted: 03:11:35 19/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Though Ilasi wanted Leoquin to find his family again, was Maverick leaeving really necessary? What would happen with Huntress while he was gone? The voyage should be safer... "should" being the operative word.
'Maverick, I don't... well, I understand..." she acquiesced. She couldn't control Maverick forever - and certainly couldn't deny him the right to help a friend find his own family while she could take care of theirs. "I'm sure thinks will work out. Just don't do anything too reckless out there... or untoward. We can talk about more of the details later."
Tyrus let out a short groan, but it wouldn't have been the first time his father was out on business. The significance of this particular voyage had not registered due to his lack of direct familiarity, though he could tell by his mother's reaction that he would probably be out for a bit longer than usual.
With that, it was time for everyone to go to bed. Leoquin wouldn't be back until the next morning, not wishing to disturb the family due to his potentially long visit to Risar.

Latnok slept rather pleasantly for many hours, arising about an hour after first light. His companions would likely be getting up soon as well; it was very much a routine by now. he would make sure their breakfast was prepared before then.
Maverick and Leoquin would be arriving later. Hopefully they wouldn't keep him waiting - he was doing them a favor, after all. He wanted to get back to the Guardian headquarters in order to check on Sozen - who, he hoped, was getting along fine with the caretakers. Hopefully the children weren't harassing him, at least.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#517 Posted: 05:17:50 19/09/2020
Maverick understood her concern perfectly.
"No te preocupes mi amor. I'll be very careful. I will be with señor Leoquin and an entire crew of big, strong minotaur sailors that have plenty of experience at sea." he assured, knowing that now more than ever, he had to make sure he would return home safe. Not only would he have a lot of friends, but he had his magic cancelling medallions and a bit leftover power from Orion back when they battled the Ishulgites. When everyone was done eating, it was time to leave the exhausted Angora to sleep on the sofa.
"Alright everyone. Time to sleep. Niños, if you already did your homework, better get some rest. He suggested, Alana leading her brother to their room while Maverick went with his wife and Leoquin to the private room that was usually Angora's. The little troll almost cried herself to sleep that night, thinking that Shade could be executed at any moment. What if Sere forgot to deliver that letter? Or was too busy to do so? Why did life had to be so hard, especially for creatures like them? Even though it was a struggle, she managed to sleep, hoping her slumber was peaceful despite everything.

But she was wrong. For tonight, she 'woke up' in an ethereal place, brown and black all over, and an eerie mist. From the shadows, there was something watching her. But it wasn't a behemoth. It wasn't a wyvern. Not even her old fear, the manticore. It was... it was...
"Xhanthi. It has been so long! Look at you! You haven't changed at all! Still the same, microscopic thing." a voice said. It was... her mother. Both of her parents were at a dining table, and the last chair was for her.
"THAT IS NOT MY NAME ANYMORE!" Angora yelled furiously, wanting to forget her despicable troll name. It brought back too many memories of her miserable past life.
"Ah right. It's... Angora now. Not any better, but you made your bed, so sleep in it." her father said mockingly, inviting her to the last chair. She took a while, but Angora sat eventually.
"So... my parents. The ones that they were suppose to protect me. The ones who were suppose to take care of me. The ones who were SUPPOSED TO LOVE ME!" Angora yelled, waiting years to vent that way. Her parents were speaking differently. Not with pauses or grunts like trolls usually did, but she figured it was to understand them better.
"Still upset because we wanted to eat you? Xha... Angora darling, you really shouldn't take it personally. In troll society, if you are born too different, you have to die. It's just not right to let those who are too different to keep living and make our clan look weak. We're attacked enough as it is to let our enemies think we take pity on the weaklings." her mother explained patiently, with Angora scratching the table in anger.
"Don't take it personally? You wanted to kill me! My own parents! How is that NOT personal!?" she reprimanded.
"Sweetheart, you must understand. It's a rule. It's in our nature. Of course, your stupid brother just had to go and warn you. Quite a miracle you're still alive after all this time." her father said, but Angora was having none of it.
"Exactly! I'm alive! I have a job! I have friend! And a family that treats me better than you! And look at you now!" Angora said, almost mockingly herself.
"Aww. Look at that my love. Such a little fantasy." her father said, but before Angora could counterattack his argument, he spoke again.
"Sweetie, how long you can keep this charade? Look at you. What has become of your life? A servant to a wyvern, a stooge for a behemoth, the object of ridicule for many humans, and a comfort blanket for a bipedal mongrel who feels better by doing good deeds." his father said, referring to Maverick.
"You leave HIM out of this! Veris loves me! The behemoth respects me! And Maverick is family!" Angora explained, but the parents just shook their heads.
"My poor daughter. So delusional. So desperate. You think the wyvern would still care for you if you didn't pamper him so much? Go ahead. Tell him you are quitting your job. Tell him you might not see him again. See how much he loves you then." her mother said, and now the dad wanted to talk.
"What will you bet my love? I say the beast will eat her as soon as she tell him." he said.
"Nah. He's much too smart for that. He'll wait for the contract to be over before chomping. He'll want use her until the end after all." the mother said, and they closed the bet. Angora was beyond furious now.
"NOW YOU LISTEN, HE WILL NEVER HURT ME NO MATTER..." she started to say when she was interrupted again.
"And what about the behemoth? Haha, if they gave him the chance or if Angora starts being boring, he wouldn't give a second thought about having a little snack." the troll father said.
"And the poor darling still thinks she has friends. And how about the black dragon? Not even the 'power of love' was enough for him to have enough willpower to prevent that tragedy for happening. Look how much misery he's still causing to his so called friends." the female said to her husband.
"And the mongrel is the funniest of them all. Angora sweetie, do you really think he would be friends with you if he had been pure human? The poor dummie is half faun. A species that got extinct because of their stupid kindness." he finished, with Angora just about ready to explode. She wanted to tell them off so badly... but couldn't. She fell silent all of the sudden. As ridiculous as it sounded, many of the things they were saying made sense. But... it can't be... couldn't be...
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 05:26:51 19/09/2020 by Felines
#518 Posted: 02:06:06 21/09/2020
Quote:
Latnok slept rather pleasantly for many hours, arising about an hour after first light. His companions would likely be getting up soon as well; it was very much a routine by now. he would make sure their breakfast was prepared before then.
Maverick and Leoquin would be arriving later. Hopefully they wouldn't keep him waiting - he was doing them a favor, after all. He wanted to get back to the Guardian headquarters in order to check on Sozen - who, he hoped, was getting along fine with the caretakers. Hopefully the children weren't harassing him, at least.

Latnok would indeed be correct and the two companions would be awake by the time breakfast was ready. Maverick, Leoquin, Icestorm, Risar-- with some exceptions, their current 'journey' was almost like a reunion or several mini-reunions between them and their former shipmates/friends. And soon Raclaw would even have to deal with the Ishulgite again in the form the prisoner; he wondered what they would think of him now. In a way, they had gotten what they had (presumingly) wanted out of him. He was very much a 'controlled, captive' dragon albeit with a trustworthy 'master' and was a mount to boot. He had very much made that permanent via his own actions and in an ironic way.. had fought for the world's freedom all while 'sacrificing' his own. Irony.

And speaking of one their former shipmates-- Risar, himself, would soon be waking up in the comfort of his own home and his temporary house guest Icestorm. The minotaur and Leoquin had discussed a personal manner in some length just the precious night. Another journey into the archipelago, the very same archipelago in which he and the others had previously journeyed for Raclaw's sake. The poor Fur Dragon ultimately had never found what he thought he was looking for, although he (like the others) had found something else entirely-- a new family, a new home, and his case.. a new 'owner.'

Risar would have to take some time to finish up any last transactions, plan a departure date, and prepare his ship for one or more new-but-not-new seafaring companions. Rather anyone else wanted to go would be entirely up to them, he wouldn't force anyone and he wouldn't say no either. Perhaps some others could get a second go at the archipelago and another chance to find that which they have not yet found? They could even perhaps sell of their goods; he recalled at least one functioning 'Mercenary Island' that now would have fully open trade routes for the first time in many many years.
---
#519 Posted: 04:47:07 22/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Tyrus and Alana had been up for some time, preparing for their trip to school, when there was a knock at the door. Ilasi, who was just getting up and preparing some food for her children, came to answer.
It was, predictably, Leoquin. "Hey, Ilasi," he said. "Maverick and I have to meet Latnok. Better not keep him waiting."
"Well, that's certainly understandable," she said, before turning around. "Maverick, dear! Leoquin's here for you!" Ilasi moved aside in case Leoquin wanted to come in, but he stayed in place, waiting for Maverick to come to him. He had, fortunately, managed to secure a deal with Risar that night - although, of course, some assumptions about Maverick's own participation had to be made, assumptions which would be corroborated once they had a chance to speak.

Latnok came in, with food smelling as delicious as it usually did when he was the one making it. He set down the large tray he was carrying, with appropriate bowls for his companions and himself.
"Good morning, guys. We've got a meeting with Maverick and Leoquin today," he reminded, before taking a bite out of his own food - some beef with oranges. Once he finished the mouthful, he continued speaking.
"Gotta speak with one of the Ishulgite prisoners they got holed up in max security. From there, we need to start working out a plan to find this potential island, if it even exists - if it does, it'll likely involve some sailing. I'd like to at least have a decent lead on where we're going before trying anything, though."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#520 Posted: 05:21:45 22/09/2020
While Maverick's night wasn't going to be full of unpleasant dreams, he did take a while to catch the slumber. Another voyage. What was he thinking? Just when he thought that unpleasant journey with Sere and Latnok as his bosses was the last time he would have anything to do with the sea. But this was for Leoquin's sake. He was a jerk to him and Angora when they first met, but he has really changed for the better, and if he found his family, he would be happy at last. The archipelago was not so dangerous anymore, Risar has been sailing for a while, and they had a bunch of minotaurs to protect them after all. He still hated leaving the family for an unknown amount of time, but this shouldn't take too long. It was hard to sleep, but the body eventually couldn't take more thoughts and Maverick fell asleep for the rest of the way until morning came.
"Si mi amor. We'll have a quick breakfast and then head out way. Come on in señor Leoquin." he invited, preparing to help his wife cook...

The night for Angora was all the contrary. While she managed to catch her sleep fast, she still had that horrible dream with her parents. They were still making bets about Veris, and whether he or the behemoths were going to be the one to kill her eventually.
"Trolls have a hard life already darling. Behemoths will eat anything, and wyverns are our predators. No matter what angle you look at it, you're destined to be at the bottom of the food chain." her mother said with fake kindness.
"And the Scourge my love. Don't forget him. If those two beasts don't get her, the Scourge will. He will probably have one of his power outbursts and evaporate her on the spot." her father said cruelly, recognizing that if Shade killed her, it was likely not going to be through eating.
"Oh that's right. Bet you're wishing we put you out of your misery when we had the chance, don't you 'Angorita?' Orion simply would've chosen someone else as his 'favorite' if you had died." the mother added sadistically, and that's when Angora finally started to lose it.
"SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP! YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!" she yelled as she attacked both of her parents with her own hands, making them vanish and ending the nightmare.

Angora opened her eyes, looking at the window and realizing it was still already morning. Since she was already up, she helped herself with some snacks before breakfast.
She just don't get it! Why does she keep having these ridiculous nightmares? Maverick is her friend. Not only because of his faun heritage. Veris is also a dear friend. And Gregor... well she wasn't sure if they were friends, but at least he respected her and likes listening to her. She wouldn't have minded a nightmare, but it just had to be about her vicious parents and shameful name. Just when she thought she had closed thet page at last. She bid everyone a quick good morning, too distracted for a proper greeting...
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 05:40:04 22/09/2020 by Felines
#521 Posted: 02:53:21 23/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Leoquin came in as he was invited, with Tyrus, Alana, and Ilasi still making preparations for the day. Leoquin took the liberty of having a seat on the couch.
'You know, I wasn't expecting help from Latnok at all," he said. "He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do things which go out of his own duties. Gods know how big their Salvation House project is by now... but I'm glad he was at least able to hear us out on this request." Regardless, Latnok didn't seem particularly thrilled about the request; why, then, did he provide his assistance?
---
I'm just... a guy...
#522 Posted: 03:13:37 23/09/2020
After breakfast was done and Angora was offered her platter, she closed her eyes and scowled in annoyance, unable to stand Latnok being even mentioned. She was certain such decision didn't came on his own.
"Well it's evident that the Salvation House and assisting you wasn't out of kindness of his own heart. Raclaw likely convinced him." Angora expressed, certain that all the good deeds he was doing was due to the fur dragon's influence and nothing else. Maverick didn't think her comment was necessary, but couldn't entirely disagree with her.
"Well whatever the reason, I'm just glad he has señor Raclaw and the cute doggie in his life. Nothing like kind beings to bring out the best in others." he said, giving a sly glance to Angora, making her lower her ears.
"This Mr. Latnok seems like a good and fun man. I mean, he leads that amazing sanctuary and has a cool, fluffy dragon with him. I wish I could meet him someday. Maybe you should be the one to approach him Angora. Maybe he's just waiting for you to make the first step." Alana suggested, being very aware through the troll and her father just how tense the relationship between them was.
"It's too late. He may be kind to others, but he never will to me. He just hates me too much. He's probably wondering why a wyvern hasn't bitten my head off already." Angora said morbidly, showing just how much hope she lost in having a good interaction with Latnok.
"Don't say that Angorita! Señor Latnok has changed. Whether by himself or with his companion's help, he has. Alana is right. Maybe if you just try." Maverick agreed, surprised that his usually troublemaking daughter had such good advice. Angora was skeptical, and doubted she would try, but perhaps there was a day in the future where she made the move.
---
#523 Posted: 04:12:48 23/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Tyrus didn't know enough about Latnok to make an informed decision on the matter - he knew that the Guardian was the leader of the Salvation House, which he sometimes visited for the animals, but had never met him in person. Neither did he much care for Latnok's relationship with Angora - such a topic was little more than noise in the bigger picture, as far as he was concerned.
Regardless, Leoquin didn't want to run afoul of Latnok for any reason. "We best not bite the hand that feeds, now," he suggested. "How important do you think he would find individual relationships, anyway, with Raclaw and the dog... Chester, it was, I think? Yeah, Chester... with them involved? Latnok and Raclaw are inseparable, from what I know, and Chester is only kept at the Salvation House when the other two have to go off and do dangerous things. Doubt he has much time for anyone."
Such a topic made Ilasi wonder - did Guardians ever establish a family? She hadn't heard anything which would corroborate such a theory - the Guardians were known as cold, emotionless killing machines, people who traded their humanity for the ability to bring untold death and destruction to those who would pose a danger to their allies. At the very least, all families on Guardian-controlled bases were those of contractors and other non-Guardian personnel who lived there for whatever reason.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#524 Posted: 04:43:16 23/09/2020
Angora wanted to believe it was only lack of time that didn't let Latnok do the step in all these years. She already had plenty of good friends, so she didn't need him. Still, she wanted more respect and cordial treatment of him, especially since she helped with Raclaw's care on occassion.
"Well anyway, I'm just glad he's helping you." Angora added, tired of the subject and falling silent to eat her meal in peace. She already had a few snacks before breakfast, but trolls could eat a lot when they wanted. Alana sat besides her to make her feel better and eliminate such unpleasant thoughts about Latnok.

Once everybody was done, Maverick said goodbye to his kids as they headed to school and beckoned Leoquin to come.
"Well, our turn. Let's head off señor Leoquin. We want to make as much time as we can. We will take Dahlia again." Maverick said, knowing they would cover a lot of ground and save a tremendous amount of time if they used her as a mount. He got the dirt buffalo's food and water ready, inviting Leoquin to help him if he wanted so he could bond with her a little. He didn't know what Angora would do today, but hoped would stay with Ilasi and keep her company. Angora didn't know what to do today since she did so much yesterday, so maybe stay there and rest.

At Zandar Swamp, everything was as quiet as a graveyard. Wherever the shapeshifter was, it was long gone. The beast was still around, just not at the swamp anymore. It was still recovering from the heavy chase and close call from yesterday. But where was it now? One of the soldiers in charge of the search was starting to suspect it might be in Redwater itself, and if that was the case, surveillance around the city was ordered. The beast could even be impersonating a human, and if that was the case, it could be even harder to spot. How could it eacape a Guardian?
---
#525 Posted: 05:23:04 23/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Leoquin provided the help as Maverick gave him the opportunity. He still wasn't used to riding on a wild beast, but Maverick had always been a lot more charismatic than he. Once all of the preparations were complete, he took his position on Dahlia.
"Time to get this over with..." he said - the idea of speaking to the Ishulgite prisoner was still slightly unnerving, but that hadn't deterred Leoquin before.

Latnok left Raclaw and Chester with their food in order to head on over to the lobby. There, he received the morning report from one of the Guardians in the form of a document, which he read - everyone was present or accounted for, and there were no new adoptions. All operations were going smoothly, as per usual.
latnok gave a slight nod after finishing it. Any uneventful day was a good day. Now he just had to wait for Maverick and Leoquin. Hopefully the two didn't keep him waiting - he had leads to search for.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#526 Posted: 06:02:20 23/09/2020
Raclaw and Chester soon finished eating in their own time-- each enjoying and appreciating the moment; one of the more simple things in their lives. Regardless of whatever may or may not happen in their lives, they could always count on a hot-and-delicious meal or even the little things like being petted. The former was something that Raclaw was never guaranteed on his own and the latter, although a primitive desire, still like up canine-like instincts that lied just below the surface. And in the context of being an mount, the occasional petting didn't even look that out of place now days. And Chester of course could get away with anything anywhere, being the dog that he was. The life of the well-beloved hunting dog was even better than most dogs; few dogs knew any (fur) dragons and even fewer got to ride/talk to/cuddle with one. They both had good lives and they had Latnok to thank.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:02:34 23/09/2020 by redwes
#527 Posted: 06:16:48 23/09/2020
After a while of pondering, Angora decided to take the day to rest and keep Ilasi company. She did too many things yesterday, things she could've divided the days for, and she was exhausted. Ilasi already went shopping yesterday, and if she left again, she was going to be all alone. It was better to keep her company and make this day a girl's day.
"Well now, Maverick sailing again. And I thought he was done with that. But it's to help Leoquin. He was so mean to us when we first met him, yet there they are, Maverick trying to do anything in his power to help him. Sometimes I think he's too good for his own good. I would go with him, but I have a contract, a responsibility to my job. Plus if I miss a day of work, Veris will go all pouty on me for a while." Angora commented, trying to make some conversation. She wasn't certain how much Ilasi enjoyed her company, but knew for certain she preferred that than being alone.

With Dahlia's trusty gallop, the pair soon reached their destination. A guard was there, and after they explained, they got ready to meet Latnok.
"Well, here we go. Hope we're ready for this. Not sure how well I can handle seeing an Ishulgite again. They caused so many deaths, and they way they manipulated mi Angorita..." Maverick commented, trying not to recall such moments. Not only did they caused an overwhelming amount of misery for his little friend. He could still recall those giant bug things that devoured so many of their companions until they were nothing but a pile of bones. And he thought his father commited atrocities.
---
#528 Posted: 06:32:26 23/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Leoquin could never forget how hard the Ishulgites worked to get into his mind - how they almost convinced him to stab his friends in the back in order to reunite his family. Was such an offer a lie the whole time? Did his family escape them?
The two soon entered the main lobby of the Salvation House. Latnok was waiting for them, a hand behind Raclaw's ear providing a gentle, soothing rub. "Good, you guys actually came," he said. "Prison's quite a ways from here, but we'll get there soon enough. I'll lead the way. Hopefully this doesn't take all day - gods know we have things to be doing." With that, Latnok immediately opened the door leading out, leading the way as he said he would.
Leoquin could tell that something was occupying Latnok - but what was it? Probably none of his business - likely something having to do with his position.

Ilasi hadn't done much work with wyverns, though she was comfortable enough around them to not freak out around them unless one was trying to bite her head off. "You seem to really think about Veris' feelings a lot," she noted. "Many wyvern handlers only care about meeting the creatures' basic needs. Even more so than horses - something about having scales rather than hair makes it easier for people to detach themselves."
Besides that, Angora wasn't completely correct - Leoquin and Ilasi got along very well in their initial meeting. It was only as the journey progressed that Leoquin's attitude towards her began to sour. Ilasi deduced that such a thing was most likely due to the incredible stress of the journey, with Leoquin fruitlessly trying to chase a lead.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#529 Posted: 22:46:31 23/09/2020
Believing Latnok would use a wyvern or another travelling method faster than his dear Dahlia, he took the liberty of asking him something.
"How will we travel? I got querida Dahlia outside. We needed her to get here in time. She can stay here, can't she?" Maverick asked, knowing that the Salvation house was mostly for small, domestic animals, but Dahlia wasn't so wild anymore, so he hoped he didn't mind. This was the perfect place for her to stay while they were gone.
"Oh, and hola señor Raclaw." he greeted, wanting to remain polite. He petted Chester, but would feel rather embarrassed to do the same to someone that could talk human language.

Angora knew what Ilasi was getting at, and understood.
"Well more than basic needs, we keep each other company and I give him exercise. Sere would've handled all of it like in the past, but since I do it, he has more time to concentrate in his Guardian duties." she said, knowing that thanks to her, Sere didn't have to worry too much abut his mount, at least when she was working.

"Also, Veris is the only wyvern in that dreadful place that hasn't tried to munch on me. He is genetically advanced, and his attachment is truly something extraordinary. I was shocked when I found out wyverns eat trolls, but I don't think he knows that. And even if he does, he clearly doesn't care. I would feel horrible leaving him behind, but this job is draining me. But... I don't want to offend him, you know? You see, we once went on a journey to destroy this... shadowy beast. Latnok, Sere, Raclaw, Shade, and a few other friends we never saw again were with us. Maverick didn't show up until much later, and throughout that time, he was the only one that always made me feel better when... something saddened me." Angora said, not wanting to go into detail, assuming Maverick already told Ilasi about those days with Darkmatter and Orion's rescue, and how horribly cruel Latnok was to her and how nobody but Veris, and Shade, and to a lesser extent Raclaw, ever made any efforts to befriend her, though the dragolet was so restricted due to his previous evilness and Raclaw was controlled by Latnok, Veris was practically the only friend she had back then before Maverick showed up. She was just so conflicted about leaving her job and letting Veris with indifferent caretakers.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:54:26 24/09/2020 by Felines
#530 Posted: 23:48:17 24/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Dahlia, despite being a wild creature, wasn't anything particularly unusual to Latnok. "You can bring her along with you if you want, or you can leave her here, and my people will take care of them," he said. "Either way, we'd be going on foot - trying to get Raclaw in one of those carriages is generally non-negotiable, and even if you two had a flying mount, flying within city limits is impractical to the point of uselessness with the restrictions in place. I hope you two don't mind a brisk walk." Leoquin didn't mind that Latnok would be keeping up a fast pace, and it wasn't like he could afford to be choosy.

Though they were intelligent creatures, Ilasi never imagined that one could find such comfort in a wyvern. "Oh, I understand you perfectly," she said, always happy when she could find something relatable with Angora. "Some days I feel a bit down, but sitting with Dahlia and feeling her fur always makes me feel better. It's probably not quite the same feeling with a wyvern, but something pretty similar." Was Angora's reluctance perhaps based on a similar feeling to the attachment she had developed with Dahlia? Either way, it was very considerate of Angora to consider the effect that her leaving would have on Veris.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#531 Posted: 00:35:06 25/09/2020
Maverick was pleased with the answer, and didn't mind walking.
"Muy bien. No hay problema. I'm sure Dahlia will love it here. But if she becomes too much of a burden, here's where I live. You can take her there and Ilasi will handle it from there." Maverick said as he wrote the direction on a piece of paper that was in the building's counter. A change of scenery could be good for Dahlia, but they were more inside the city now, and wyverns flying was more common. She was spooked easily. Giving the piece of paper to Latnok to make sure he gave it to the one that would be in charge of his beloved mount while they were away, he got ready to leave with the young Guardian, preparing himself both physically and mentally for the tasks ahead.

Angora chucked, finding it funny imagining Ilasi with the overly hairy Dahlia.
"Well, wyverns don't have any fluff, but they still feel warm. The softness would be welcome though." she joked, Dahlia being fluffy and smaller than a wyvern, not to mention herbivore, so Ilasi had it better, although those horns looked like no joke.

As Angora surveilled between the brochures Maverick gave her about the new jobs, she thought more.
"I am planning to leave this job after the three remaining months of contract are up, but I'll still visit Veris. He won't be happy with just the occasional visits of course, but I know he'll adapt. He'll be angry at me for a while for sure, but I'm certain he'll get over it... eventually. Poor guy believes I'll be there forever, but he'll have to understand. I just wish he wasn't so stupidly stubborn." the troll expressed, still remembering how angry he got when she said during the Enduring Legacy voyage she would leave after the journey was over. He has been upset with her in the past, but the feeling usually didn't last and he has never tried hurting her in one of his tantrums, so she trusted this time would be no different.
---
#532 Posted: 01:06:24 25/09/2020
Raclaw smiled at Latnok's response-- He could get away with many things despite his status, but riding on a carriage sadly wasn't one of them. He didn't mind; he didn't mind walking nor the fresh air otherwise he wouldn't be doing what he was doing. "Don't worry-- it's not too far.," Raclaw lightly reassured. Indeed, it wouldn't too be hard to spot a Wyvern landing or taking off. Wyverns were the tamest of tame dragoons and as such, got the most 'flying time' within the city albeit at the cost of being stabled. Raclaw himself got the perks of flying outside the city with the advantages of being treated like a large well-trained dog within the city. That meant he could generally go anywhere Latnok could.. well almost anyways. It was a good compromise both to himself and to Latnok. And they weren't permanent residents of the city anyway, merely frequent visitors with some subtle exceptions.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:07:56 25/09/2020 by redwes
#533 Posted: 02:42:48 25/09/2020
It wasn't long until Huntress found out about the hunt she tried to do yesterday.
"Shapeshifter!? Of course! That explains why I couldn't find it. Darn it! Why didn't I think of it before!?" she exclaimed after gathering up enough information, angry that she couldn't figure it out herself. So it wasn't really a dragon, just a shapeshifter who was taking the form at that time. That was quite disappointing. She was hoping it would be a pure dragon so that she could hunt it down herself. But why would a shapeshifter be at Zandar Swamp? Such creatures were rare, and incredibly hard to hunt, even for Aelinonians. Guardians themselves seemed to have trouble with them with what she heard. Something that could take on practically any form was virtually impossible for her, so maybe this was a hunt she should skip and leave it to the trained soldiers and mages of her beloved country. It wasn't going to be easy. The search started yesterday and nobody had any leads so far. The creature was covering it's tracks well. It could even be a human hiding in the city, and if that was the case, it would be worse than finding a needle in a haystack.

The secret fair moved miles away from yesterday's location. The fortune teller was having too much on her mind, to the point her boss had to interfere.
"What happened out there Madame? Ever since those two young men came, you've been a nervous wreck. Come on, you can tell your old, dear boss everything about it." the man said, clearly very gentle and patient with his employees.
"I wish I could... but... what I saw there. It... it can't be said. It's... no, I can't say it." she said.
"But why? Did the mermen you saw died horribly or something?" he asked.
"What? No! It's not that? It's... I can't tell you." the fortune teller insisted. Her boss respected her decision, but was quite offended that she didn't trust him enough to tell him. Nevertheless, if she couldn't get out of... whatever shock she was in right now, her tent would have to remain close until further notice.
---
#534 Posted: 22:15:06 26/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Latnok moved ahead, leading the others via the most direct path. The traffic today was different than usual - no doubt because of the fair. He was glad to see Maverick and Leoquin keeping up well enough.
The cityscape gradually changed to a more fortified setup, with a massive fort marking the maximum security prison. The group had to walk around to the only entrance, a giant, sturdy metal gate. There, the guards took note of them before accosting them.
"Halt! State your business," one of them demanded.
"I'm Latnok, an Adjudicator of the Ardent Guardians," Latnok explained. "We're following a lead we have on information relevant to our mutual issues with the Ishulgites, and my friends and I would like to speak to one of the Ishulgite prisoners."
Two of the apparently lesser-ranked guards looked at each other in curiosity. The lead looked up at one of the walls, motioning for the gate to be opened. "The warden is in - you can have a chat with him," the guard suggested. "Now follow closely."

Ilasi took a deep breath and sighed, seeing just how much the dilemma weighed on her friend. "I'm sure he'll eventually manage," she said. "Its rather kind of you to still be considering occasional visits. I do have to wonder, though... surely his rider is making some preparations for the eventual end of your contract?" Such a thing seemed sensible enough to Ilasi, though she was never a wyvern caretaker so she wouldn't be particularly knowledgeable.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#535 Posted: 22:48:51 26/09/2020
Raclaw and Chester followed closely-- sticking to Latnok's side. 'So this is the prison.,' Raclaw thought as he walked. He had obviously heard of it before and knew that *certain prisoners* were being kept here including but not limiting to 'the Scourge.' Very rarely had he ever heard Shade being referred to properly by name. It mattered not though; they weren't here to see Shade and Shade's power was no doubt being held back to the point where their previously established and still existing bond would likely fail to connect. The Fur Dragon recalled the past and fact that his own parents were once held in and experimented in a place not too dissimilar to this; he briefly wondered what life would've been like for them before trying to shake the feeling off.

Past aside-- Shade's current conditions probably weren't much better, but of course the Dragolet's own actions had led to where he is now. Some stone roadside memorials, plagues, and numerous graves still remained to this day remembering and honoring innocent souls lost due to Shade's actions. Some widows still visited and cursed out the Scourge on their daily walks to or from work and the poorhouse in which they now had to live out their remaining days; a tragedy and one that shall never be forgotten. He wondered if the citizens of Redwater would ever forgive 'the Scourge' as they still called him. Forgive but not forget rather-- imprisoned or otherwise, that act and the lives lost afterwards would follow Shade forever and wherever he went.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 22:57:30 26/09/2020 by redwes
#536 Posted: 22:58:42 26/09/2020
However shade was indeed close enough to sense Raclaw and Latnok were indeed nearby. “Guards. I know there is a fur dragon visiting. I wish to speak to him and his master. I want to at least see them. They are old allies.
---
SC
#537 Posted: 23:21:37 26/09/2020
As Maverick walked, he was a nervous wreck. He was going to face an Ishulgite after so many years. When they reached the prisome he tried his best to stop shaking.
"This place... looks familiar." he said, but mostly to himself. He tried visiting Shade some years ago, but unlike Angora, he was never given permission to see him, and was told he would be moved constantly. He never tried visiting him again though, hating the way they have treated him, and the last time he tried, the carriage to that place was off limits. He once visited the king, but after months of waiting for his appointment, he was told that Shade would remain in prison for a long time. Maverick was unable to convince him otherwise. He didn't know they were at the very same prison where his dear, dark scaled friend was being held.

Quote: A Guy
Ilasi took a deep breath and sighed, seeing just how much the dilemma weighed on her friend. "I'm sure he'll eventually manage," she said. "Its rather kind of you to still be considering occasional visits. I do have to wonder, though... surely his rider is making some preparations for the eventual end of your contract?" Such a thing seemed sensible enough to Ilasi, though she was never a wyvern caretaker so she wouldn't be particularly knowledgeable.

"Actually, I haven't told Sere yet. I think I told him I was considering a new job at one point, but he's usually so busy. I can't remember if I told him or if he even listened. I will have to tell him next week so that he can prepare in time." Angora replied, worried about how Veris would react to the news, but now was starting to think he wasn't the only one she should be worried about.

"Well, all in good time. Even after all these years, I still haven't been able to befriend the other wyverns. It's a dangerous and stressful job, so I know the change will do me good. But enough about that. I'll let you know what happens. Show me the things you bought yesterday." the troll then said after a brief pause, believing that if she continued talking about the subject, she would get depressed. Ilasi was no Maverick, but she still felt better talking to her. Today was a time to remain indoors, and just have some girl moments. Angora was even thinking of helping Ilasi with the house chores after they were done seeing the stuff the mermaid purchased.
---
#538 Posted: 00:27:47 27/09/2020 | Topic Creator
The group was brought to the same office that Angora was brought to previously, with the same secretary working there. "Hello, gentlemen. What brings you here?" he asked.
The lead guard relayed Latnok's mission and request, and the secretary stepped past the counter. "I'll fetch him - a moment, please," he said. Though it took a few minutes, he returned, with the warden, who soon took the secretary's spot.
"Greetings, Guardian," the warden welcomed politely. "I am hearing that you are interested in speaking with one of the Ishulgites. Is this correct?"
"It is," Latnok answered plainly.
"I have to ask, how do you intend to do that?" the warden asked. "With few exceptions, the Ishulgites aren't known to be particularly cooperative, and neither persuasion nor coercion has changed that."
"...you can leave that to us," Latnok answered. he didn't have to reveal Raclaw's full capabilities - and there were perhaps some things better left unknown.
"Very well. Do keep in mind that we would prefer our prisoners intact," the warden cautioned, as he began searching for all of the necessary paperwork.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#539 Posted: 02:45:29 28/09/2020
Maverick wasn't liking the sound of that. He knew how cruel and merciless Latnok could be. Even if he didn't kill the prisoner, he was afraid he would torment him psychologically. The Ishulgites also had experience with such methods, so maybe it wasn't going to be easy. Still, he was there, and he had a habit of persuading people and bring the best in them, so maybe if he did some of the talking, they could have more success.
"No te preocupes. It'll all be okay." he said to Leoquin, but it was actually more to reassure himself.

At an island far away, there was another kind of predicament. After yesterday's event, an assembly of mythical creatures was in order. The majority of them were agreeing that a peace treaty with humans was impossible. They were just too destructive and greedy. You could have the best of intentions, yet at Sergeant Farlo's attack proved, not to mention faun extinction, it didn't matter how noble you were. Humans either killed or imprisoned those who were too different or didn't take their orders. Nearby, the satyr girl was listening... and refuse to accept peace was no option. That would mean hiding in that island forever, with no contact with the outside world ever. Were humans really that evil? Crearly there was bound to be a few good individuals, wasn't there? How could each and every single individual of a species be bad? She heard rumors about a troll that was living in Redwater. Trolls were often regarded as one of the most despicable beasts on the planet that should be killed on sight, yet there was one living among them. If trolls could be good, or better yet, if humans could allow one to live among them, then why not them?
---
#540 Posted: 04:04:59 28/09/2020 | Topic Creator
The guards by Shade's cell would, perhaps, have ignored his request - except there was only one fur dragon in the city, belonging to Latnok, who was influential enough. "Well, we'll mention you, but don't count on anything happening," one of them said, before leaving.

Latnok spent the next few minutes filling out all of the relevant documents, before handing them over. The warden quickly reviewed them, before putting them to the side. "The one in the third block. Take them there," the warden ordered the guard.
"Come along, then," the guard said to the others. He would lead the group through a wide-open space, overseen by many towers, to a smaller fortification within the larger fort. Even if someone managed to escape that position, the large expanse of space would ensure that they were not only very easily spotted, but had absolutely no cover against arrows or magic.
The guard leading the group negotiated the way past the other sentries, and navigated the group past the deliberately winding, confusing hallways. As they walked by, a single look could be seen on the faces of all of the prisoners - dispirited and defeated.

Ilasi smiled, glad to be moving on to a happier topic. "Sure thing," she said, as she grabbed some of what she got out of the bag. They were a combination of clockwork toys and, some figurines made out of a malleable material that Ilasi couldn't identify - something from a foreign land, probably. "Tyrus has always liked mechanical things like these," she said, indicating the clockwork toys. "And the other toys are something Alana can play dress-up with, and should be able to get into all sorts of poses."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#541 Posted: 05:16:35 28/09/2020
Maverick groaned quietly, not standing the atmosphere. They all looked so miserable. He was certain most of these people were criminals, but couldn't help thinking there were a few innocents among them. Angora has been imprisoned unfairly many times, not to mention he himself was in a dreadful cell once to be used as ransom. Too many bad memories to recall. In this gloomy place, he even thought he heard Shade's voice, but dismissed it at his imagination.

"Dress up? I didn't think she was the type." Angora commented, Alana striking her as the tomboyish one, but she and her friends did play dress up with her at school, so maybe they influenced her or Alana only did it to please them. Tyrus liking machines was not strange though. She only hoped he put that knowledge to good use.
"Guess it's not so strange. Anyway, look at these things! Heh, humans and other humanoids surely like doing complicated stuff. Trolls just like pointy things. The more the better. We're not... the most popular species of course, so we practically make ourselves giant porcupines in order to protect ourselves. Or at least... that's what we make ourselves believe." Angora explained, giving some insight about troll culture. Being her size was more a blessing lately, but being a troll was still too hard, especially when you live in a world where they hate you for your appearance and certain choice of friends. Still slightly better than living with her own species though.
---
#542 Posted: 08:09:46 28/09/2020
“Thank you kindly sir.” Shade said as he paced in his cell. He would occasionally look out the window. If there was one person Shade could always count on it was Raclaw. Perhaps he could convince Latnok to see if he could get Angora and Maverick an audience with the warden much earlier?
---
SC
#543 Posted: 23:21:23 28/09/2020
Quote:
Latnok spent the next few minutes filling out all of the relevant documents, before handing them over. The warden quickly reviewed them, before putting them to the side. "The one in the third block. Take them there," the warden ordered the guard.
"Come along, then," the guard said to the others. He would lead the group through a wide-open space, overseen by many towers, to a smaller fortification within the larger fort. Even if someone managed to escape that position, the large expanse of space would ensure that they were not only very easily spotted, but had absolutely no cover against arrows or magic.
The guard leading the group negotiated the way past the other sentries, and navigated the group past the deliberately winding, confusing hallways. As they walked by, a single look could be seen on the faces of all of the prisoners - dispirited and defeated.

As they walked-- Raclaw could not only see, but also *feel* the defeat in the prisoner's minds. Even his presence, the unique experience of seeing a fur dragon, seemed to make little difference. He got a feeling of no longer caring, of mere content (but nothing more), and even at least one thought of simply wanting the 'torment' (of boredom, of being trapped) to be over. He couldn't even sense the slightest feeling of hope, that is except for one nagging distant feeling. 'Shade?,' he thought turning his head to face a direction that would accidently face directly towards the Dragolet's distant cell. It was a rather faint feeling, but he could sense the dragolet trying to complete the connection once again. Chester 'frowned', having once known the feeling of being trapped albeit under different circumstances. Trapped was trapped.. rather it be from imprisonment or from being once stuck in an abusive household. And if even their presence didn't lighten the mood-- these prisoners were truly and thoroughly trapped. As no doubt intended.
---
#544 Posted: 05:52:04 29/09/2020 | Topic Creator
"Honestly, I wasn't sure whether I should have gotten them for her," Ilasi admitted. "She does play with those sorts of things with her friends, however, so I figured it would be fun for all of them to have something new to try."
As much as Ilasi wanted to sympathize with Angora for her feelings about the treatment of trolls, she found it exceedingly difficult to do so - she had seen too often the mangled remains of victims of troll attacks - often simple passersby like merchants, or, in the worst case she saw, a child. It was hard for her to feel that their treatment was anything but justified. "Well, just think - you are a rather brilliant troll yourself," she said. "And certainly there are more like you - shamans aren't common among trolls, but they are often exceptionally intelligent, from what I hear."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#545 Posted: 06:33:57 29/09/2020
Angora understood, and was glad Ilasi was being so comprehensible.
"Well, I won't deny most trolls are... murderous. Being one and having my own clan once, I know what I'm telling you. My brother and I though, we were different. He was enormous! Would've scared you on sight for sure, but he was such a gentle soul. He... warned me about our parents, thus saving my life. Ate carrion just to avoid killing for food. Oh, and this one troll, instead of liking spiky things like most of us, she liked shoes. Like, she was obsessed! Would even tried them on. She was so bullied for it. So yeah, there's much variety, but... not all of us survive to show it..." Angora explained with a lump in her throat, starting to get depressed. Her brother and that troll, if not killed by their own clan for being too different, were probably executed by humans just for being trolls. It was not easy being such a hated species that even sabotaged their very survival for ridiculous traditions.

Wanting to change the subject again, Angora spoke.
"Well, I guess it's impossible to change what we are. It's not like we can choose the species we're going to be born as. If only we could be treated as individuals instead of a stereotype. But anyway, I guess it can't be helped. Come on. Keep showing me the things you bought. Maybe later, I can help you with the housework and clean up Dahlia's stable. Have plentry of experience with that as you can imagine." she commented, still missing her brother terribly after all these years. If only she could've dreamt about him last night instead of her horrible parents.

At Myth Island, the assembly was over. Sergeant Farlo walked near the beach, contemplating the calming waves when his nymph friend arrived again.
"Still worried about the dragon? Or your friend Lyon?" she asked.
"Yeah... but also... that attack. And fauns. Like really, I didn't do anything to make those people attack me, and fauns only wanted to help, and they were taken advantage of." the centaur responded, wondering what made humans so evil and greedy.
"I hate to tell you this my friend, but... I agreed with the assembly. Maybe we should give up on the peace treaty. Humans are just too nasty and egocentric to care about people like us. Merfolks, galuds, even behemoths, they're allowed in their presence only because they served them. If they didn't, they'd probably be enslaved or killed." she said with pessimism, really believing that if they tried to return to the continent, they would suffer the same fate as fauns. Farlo didn't want to believe it... but what if she was right?
---
#546 Posted: 22:50:29 29/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Latnok, through Raclaw, was also able to sense the familiar presence. "Shade is definitely kept here - little chance he could escape, though, even if he had help on the inside," he telepathed to Raclaw. Though Latnok was rather curious as to Shade's condition - whether he was still in good health, or had deteriorated - they had another thing to be concerned about.
The guard finally brought them to one of the cells, hosting an indistinct, emaciated, barefoot human in clean but tattered rags, with patches of hexphage on his skin. Taking a key, the guard unceremoniously opened the cell door, with food and water lying near the foot. The prisoner didn't bother looking up at the visitors, identifying them only with peripheral vision.
"These men would like to have a talk with you," the guard said.
"As I have said... there is nothing you may do to me that will make me speak any more than I have," the prisoner weakly said.
The guard gave the guests an indifferent look. "Try whatever you may," he said.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#547 Posted: 00:27:10 30/09/2020
Maverick could tell both Latnok and Raclaw had much on their mind, but didn't ask anything. O ce they reached the cell and saw the prisoner, he almost cried. The Ishulgites... many of them were simply manipulated souls that were misled into thinking they were doing the right thing, like what almost happened to poor Angora and who knows how many more people in the Enduring Legacy. She might not have been the only one. The man before him was likely someone who was brainwashed and was now paying the price.
"If you can señor, we're not here to hurt or humiliate you. We just want some answers. Por favor. This is importante. If you can just answer us a question or two. Por favor..." Maverick begged, deciding to speak first to see if his words of kindness could persuade the prisoner to give them the answers they seeked. He had no doubts Latnok would resort to torture or maybe some psychological cruelty to get the answers, so he decided to speak first. Regardless of the atrocities this man might've commited, it was still sad to see someone so lost, so broken. He heard that most, if not all Ishulgite prisoners were fed to the behemoths, sometimes without even having the change to earn their freedom in the arena.

Meanwhile, a certain satyr was still trying to convince her friend to take her to the dangerous continent. After all, most of their kinds were similar to humans, and it was all a matter of disguising what made them different and blend in. If they could find the one in charge like Farlo intended, they could convince him. It might not change everyone's views about them, but it was a start. The siren boy however, was having none of it. He wasn't going to expose himself or his friend to a species that already caused the extinction of someone similar to his best friend's kind. It was out of the question. She however, kept insisting...
---
#548 Posted: 05:42:38 30/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Maverick's pleas, unfortunately would not fall on one who was sympathetic to them. "Our world had hope... for peace once. And you... and your friends... deprived us... the world... of this hope. I will never help the likes of you... there is nothing you can offer or do to me to change that."
Latnok took a quick glance at the abandoned food and water before looking back at the prisoner. He was as obstinate as predicted... but perhaps with a little "help" from Raclaw...

Though Ilasi still disliked the idea of guests doing her work, she appreciated the gesture, and took it for what it was. "Oh, I would love that," she said, "and I'm sure Dahlia would, too." As Ilasi began rummaging through the rest of what she had brought, she thought about how, once again, Maverick would be on the high seas - leaving her alone at home. Certainly, he would be okay... right?
---
I'm just... a guy...
#549 Posted: 06:00:44 30/09/2020
Raclaw sighed-- hoping that emaciated prisoner would take the 'easy' route rather than the anticipated 'hard' route. "Very well.," Raclaw began to say focusing on the prisoner and offering a nod. "Maverick, Leoquin-- ask your questions. And if at any point our friend here wants to fully cooperate, he may do so.," he then finished allowing the two to proceed. He would first attempt to 'simply' draw the answers from the Ishulgite, rather than immediately resorting to pain or more cruel methods of mental manipulation. Such methods weren't entirely pain-free to him either.. for better or for worse. Chester watched, but remained silent; he could never fully understand what exactly Raclaw did and why such techniques could be painful to both 'fur dragon' and 'victim' alike.
---
#550 Posted: 07:28:44 30/09/2020
Maverick didn't like where this was going. Innocent and wanting to remain positive he would change his mind, he spoke again.
"Señor por favor, how can you say that? Exterminating entire races? You tried to kill my friends and killed so many. And you manipulated mi Angorita. How is that HOPE!? Don't you feel guilty about that? Just... if you want some redemption, just... help us find some mermen... por favor. Please." Maverick started to say, almost yelling at that last part. Why even after all these years, the Ishulgite followers couldn't understand how horrible their methods were?

Quote: A Guy
Though Ilasi still disliked the idea of guests doing her work, she appreciated the gesture, and took it for what it was. "Oh, I would love that," she said, "and I'm sure Dahlia would, too." As Ilasi began rummaging through the rest of what she had brought, she thought about how, once again, Maverick would be on the high seas - leaving her alone at home. Certainly, he would be okay... right?

For the rest of the day, Angora would stay, talking, helping Ilasi clean and look at the things she got. The troll could tell something was bothering Ilasi, and she thought she knew what it was.
"Don't let this Huntress witch get to you. Never doubt Maverick. Remember that." she commented in one of their conversations, having suddenly remembered that stupid woman. She clearly created some discord in Ilasi's mind. She wasn't certain what that woman was capable of, but with Maverick gone, Ilasi was probably going to feel very vulnerable alone with the kids, so when she was at work, perhaps she could ask Sand Dune, Random and Opium to keep an eye on them.
---
First | Previous | Page 11 of 28 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 27 28

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me