Forum

Spyro: A Hero's Tail

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Comparing AHT to J&D
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#1 Posted: 01:37:53 11/04/2020 | Topic Creator
The first Jak and Daxter game came out in 2001 and A Hero's Tail came out in 2004, just for reference.

JCW recently bought up an old post he made comparing this game to Jak and Daxter and it just ... yeah. There was this old topic kiiiind of discussing it, but everyone mostly just brushed the similarities off and coincidence and game genre. Buuut after recently returning to both games, I was actually taken aback by just how much AHT seemed to copy J&D, specifically the first game.

Crocovile Swamp is literally just Boggy Swamp. Like, ****ing copy pasted lmao. Pole swinging, moving spike traps from out of the ground. They even both have the hillbilly shooter mission to get the vermin away from the food. Come on Eurocom lol. The plant tentacle things in the quick sand are basically the same as the boss from the Forbidden Jungle too.
Coastal Remains can be compared to Sentinel Beach/Sandover Village as well I guess. They both share p similar motives, but the thing that stood out to me most was the water wheel contraptions with the platforms.
Cloudy Domain and Sunken Ruins especially are just like the Lost Precursor City. Cloudy Domain reminds me of any of the precursor architecture tbh and it has those orbiting circular platforms from the lost city, but Sunken Ruins is p much just the Lost Precursor City. They're both sunken cities submerged deep underwater with glowing effects and dangerous piping (aht are hot pipes while j&d are electric).

I haven't gotten to the last world in J&D yet to properly compare that, but from what I remember it really reminds me of the Volcanic Isle from AHT.
And Red's Lab reminds me plenty of Haven City from the Jak sequels, but I will update when I get around it revisiting it.

I actually might update this with screenshots because oh my god haha. It will further help prove my point.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
sans Gold Sparx Gems: 2251
#2 Posted: 02:13:16 11/04/2020
yeah, it's safe to say aht was trying to be jak
---
smiliesmiliesmilie
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3912
#3 Posted: 16:43:02 11/04/2020
ooo yeah bolt if you have screenshots, that would be interesting to see. i'm currently doing a play through of aht, and i've never played j+d, so it'd be fascinating to see the visual similarities.
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
#4 Posted: 04:48:24 12/04/2020
it's not just visual, it's game mechanics. like, straight up stolen from jak
---
smiliesmiliesmilie
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3912
#5 Posted: 14:26:53 12/04/2020
i have no doubt it's plagiarized.
huh. maybe i should play j+d next...
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#6 Posted: 00:01:14 21/04/2020
SO guess what, your suspicions were right. Aura found a design document for the game in the middle of development (when some files were still called Spyro: The Dark Realms), and you can find J&D used as a reference in nearly every one of them. A lot of Rachet and Clank too.

https://archive.org/details/redump-id-69708
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#7 Posted: 07:01:42 11/06/2020
just thought about this but the villains are basically the same too
---
smiliesmiliesmilie
Agenger1 Green Sparx Gems: 109
#8 Posted: 12:05:04 20/07/2021
Yes, I like it. Spyro with Tail Swing Pole
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me