Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Interview with Charles Zembillas (Spyro/Crash Bandicoot/Jak & Daxter Artist)
Page 1 of 1
Interview with Charles Zembillas (Spyro/Crash Bandicoot/Jak & Daxter Artist)
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#1 Posted: 00:00:52 08/03/2020 | Topic Creator
https://egmnow.com/the-artist-...a-bone-to-pick/

I think Charles is mistaken in that Universal Interactive owned Spyro and Crash, not Naughty Dog/Insomniac, but it's still a good interview.

Also talks the Skylanders re-design for Spyro

"When he does get around to the earlier redesigns, his response is measured. “I don’t have an issue with them doing different things,” he says, and it sounds genuine. “Crash lends itself to being interpreted in a whole bunch of different ways. That’s part of the genius of the design.”

He’s less forgiving on Spyro, but only just. It’s clear the Skylanders redesign is nowhere near the direction he would have taken Spyro in, but his criticism is precise and reserved. “The silhouette doesn’t work,” Zembillas explains. “The problem with the Skylanders design of Spyro is that the snout and the forehead line up. It’s too boxy. If I was the art director, I would’ve said, ‘Bring the snout out a little bit,’ to change the angle.”

“It’s all about parallels and redundancies. I’ll explain it to you. If you look at the [original Spyro] profile, you’ll see that the snout comes out from the head, and it makes a distinct silhouette. And if you draw a line vertically from his snout down and vertically from his forehead down, you’ll see that those two lines don’t match. The problem with the Skylanders Spyro—not that it doesn’t have its own merits—is that they match. It doesn’t fit into a triangular shape, which works against you if you want to create an appealing character.”
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#2 Posted: 06:33:40 09/03/2020
He's not mistaken about Universal owning Spyro and Crash at the time. It's why Insomniac didn't make a fourth game; they had the ideas but Universal wanted the Spyro property to go to a different developer. Same with Crash. ND and Insomniac are developers who were commissioned by a bigger company (Universal) to make games under contract. When those contracts were up, the franchises remained in Universal's hands and were passed on to other developers. Universal hired Zembillas to design for Crash and Spyro, too; he was not hired by ND or Insomniac and they did in-house character designs without him in later Crash and Spyro games.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me