Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
How to join darkSpyro
Gharlant_ftd Ripto Gems: 611
#1 Posted: 16:48:15 05/03/2020 | Topic Creator
Bubsy isn't that bad though. At least Bubsy 1 isn't. Bubsy 2 is kinda trash. The worst thing about Bubsy 1 is the camera and that can be fixed by holding down one of the shoulder buttons on the SNES or PC version (idk about the Genesis port, never played it).

Honestly I think the biggest problem with Bubsy 1 is that it's too much like Dark Souls. If you gave DS to a casual without explaining it to them, they'd say the game is too hard, unfair, too cryptic, too empty, boring, they'd make a hundred excuses by the time they get to the firelink shrine. By the time they get to undead burg they won't be saying anything because casuals don't get to undead burg. Just like casuals don't get past the first level of Bubsy 1. They go in either expecting it to suck (confirmation bias) or expecting it to play like Sonic or any other 2D platformer. And this isn't really a "problem", it just acts as a barrier for entry into the series. They either have very streamlined (read: dumbed down) gameplay like in Bubsy 2, Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back, and whatever that stupid autorunning Bubsy game was, or you have a game that is unironically so masterfully made that the majority of gamers can't understand it, so they lash out in fear and make up every excuse for why they're losing when the truth is they just need to git gud. I noticed a trend of people like JonTron and others on YouTube saying things like "this is all Bubsy does, once you've seen the first level you've seen them all" and that immediately stuck out to me because nobody that has actually played these games for more than 5 minutes would have been able to say those things. For example, did you know that Bubsy 3D has multiple vehicles that you can control? Probably not unless you actually played the game or watched a complete playthrough. Please note I haven't played the Atari Lynx Busby game or the gameboy ports so I don't know how those are.

This isn't to say Bubsy 3D is perfect, of course. It certainly falls short when compared to other 3D platformers on the Playstation such as Spyro and Crash (and it especially shows it's weaknesses when you look at Super Mario 64) but it certainly isn't as bad as many people say it is. In fact, many of the levels are actually well designed and enjoyable (and the music is among the best on the PS1). You have to understand the context in which Bubsy 3D was released. The creator of Bubsy stepped away during the development of Bubsy 2, assuming his creation was in good hands, but after seeing how they mishandled his orange kitty he decided to spring into action to try and save the series. And ultimately, he did. NOBODY would remember Bubsy if it wasn't for Bubsy 3D. Bubsy 3D made the bobcat louder and prouder than he's ever been, which means that Bubsy is more Bubsy than he has ever been. You can hate him, but you can't ignore him. And if you can't ignore him, you will listen to him. And by listening to him, you will understand him. And by understanding him, you cannot hate him.

Bubsy 1 is still my favorite in the series though. Like Sonic, Bubsy didn't have the best transition into 3D, and arguments over Bubsy's direction took it's toll on development of future games. I know you might say I'm biased because after all, I do run the largest subreddit dedicated to Bubsy (r/The_Bubsy), but I think if you really look at what the creator of Bubsy was trying to accomplish, you'll see he succeeded against all odds. The Bubsy revival ultimately failed because it followed in the footsteps of Bubsy 2, appealing to more casual gamers rather than true Bubsy fans who aren't turned off by difficult platforming and high-stakes narratives. I think in an environment where games like Dark Souls and Sekiro are thriving, and retro remasters are more popular than ever, a Bubsy 1 remake or true sequel is what the gaming industry needs more than ever. Bubsy saved us from ourselves once in 1993, and again in 1996, so it's clear to see that the world needs Bubsy the Bobcat more than ever before.
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3900
#2 Posted: 22:43:34 05/03/2020
click bait title
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12119
#3 Posted: 23:08:41 05/03/2020
this topic sucks, directions made me join darkBubsy. freaking fail. -_____-
TheSpyrofan12 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#4 Posted: 22:47:24 06/03/2020
Spyro. Bubsy. Same thing when you think about it
---
Bring the Fanta
willspyro Ripto Gems: 5862
#5 Posted: 02:48:29 08/03/2020
Fake news
Lunar Gold Sparx Gems: 2447
#6 Posted: 03:53:22 08/03/2020
fake news fake news fake news fake news fake new fake news fake news news fake news fake news fake nudes nake fews fake news fake news fakes new s send nudes fake smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me