Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Introduce parents to gaming
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6412
#1 Posted: 16:57:54 11/05/2018 | Topic Creator
I need your help,here Darkspyro crowd,I want to introduce my parents to gaming but they don’t understand even the simpler controls of platformers,even tried to make my mom play Skyrim on PC but it turned into me telling her that the goal was not to kill all npcs,for my father....well....I want him to give a break to Solitaire but in his case,he is highly stubborn about saying he don’t like gaming when he barely even tried so what games should I try if I want to get the interest of my parents?(it suck being the only gamer in my parents home with my brothers gone years ago somewhere else and irl friends being not close enough)

I have ps4(with three controllers),ps3,Switch,Wii,3DS,DS,PC and PSP.Also I already tried Skyrim,Pokémon White so don’t say those,it failed.Also my mom think all games are the same,you always kill something so don’t go into gory territory,don’t want to scare her,for my father,well he is stubborn so hard to convince and have no talents at all with technology.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12063
#2 Posted: 18:19:14 11/05/2018
I get that you'd like to have someone to play games with, but from what you've implied, it seems like your parents have no interest in gaming. You shouldn't force them into playing when it sounds like they don't want to.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#3 Posted: 19:07:04 11/05/2018
I wouldn't force them to play either, but on the second problem, I'd just introduce them to non-violent games, like Stardew Valley and whatnot.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#4 Posted: 23:38:25 11/05/2018 | Topic Creator
Well my favorite genre is RPG so violence is unavoidable there,I don’t play or own non violent games but do know about them.I don’t like farm simulating so it’s a no.Last time,I managed to make them play was stuff like Wii Sport,Wii Fit plus,Sonic Heroes and an old Buzz game on PS2 so no will just give up and keep my PS4 controllers gathering dust.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5683
#5 Posted: 02:48:41 17/05/2018
The problem there is that those aren't very good 'gateway games'; you need games that specifically appeal to those you want to bring in. Farming simulators are quite appealing to people, even if they aren't your thing. You can't expect people wjo have no experience with gaming to immediately like what you like, so ease them into it, and, most importantly, don't force it.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
#6 Posted: 12:29:54 17/05/2018 | Topic Creator
I do have Rune Factory IV on 3DS,does that count?Also,for genres I’m not familiar with I would prefer using free2play instead of buying games I know I won’t play,but would platformers be a good choice or too complicated for newcomers?
---
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5683
#7 Posted: 12:40:02 17/05/2018
As said, find games that can appeal to the player you're wanting to bring in. What activities do your parents like, and are there any games that could fit their interests? Are there any themes they like? There's all sorts of ways to determine the perfect gateway game for them--even if it may come at a cost. Don't know what else to tell you there.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#8 Posted: 03:21:40 30/05/2018
I would recommend something easier for your folks, like a 2D Mario game. My mom and I used to play classic Mario and Tetris back when NES had just been released.
#9 Posted: 20:32:01 30/05/2018 | Topic Creator
I don’t have a NES and my mom have trouble using a computer,don’t think she could play on an emulator at all,also only have 3D Mario games.....the only 2D games that could qualify that I own are Shantae Half Genie Hero(PC),Dust:AET(iPad),Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles(PSP),could reinstall both Terraria and Starbound.
---
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#10 Posted: 02:28:28 31/05/2018
Quote: fyra
I don’t have a NES and my mom have trouble using a computer,don’t think she could play on an emulator at all,also only have 3D Mario games.....the only 2D games that could qualify that I own are Shantae Half Genie Hero(PC),Dust:AET(iPad),Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles(PSP),could reinstall both Terraria and Starbound.

i think she might like Castlevania
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me