Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Idle Chatter > Any Warriors fans still around here (the book series)
Page 1 of 1
Any Warriors fans still around here (the book series)
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#1 Posted: 08:33:42 14/04/2018 | Topic Creator
I remember the site used to be filled with Warriors fans (the book series about cats by Erin Hunter). Just wondering if any are still around to discuss this awesome childhood book series. c:

I know it's still going and should die, but boy were they good.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#2 Posted: 11:39:39 14/04/2018
My friend really enjoys the series

I've been trying to get him to join the site, but no dice
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#3 Posted: 23:53:20 14/04/2018
Man, you know what, those books WERE freaking good and I miss them. I just remember becoming so disappointed at the 4th story arc or so because I could almost hear the authors sighing after every page.

But maybe that's just how tired I was getting of the plot at that point, who knows. All I can say is that Bluestar is eternally the best.
#4 Posted: 00:09:15 15/04/2018 | Topic Creator
Lol the 6th series is just as bad. But yeah the 4th series was something. The books are still my childhood and I have a smol bookstand dedicated to them. Bluestar's Prophecy is still my baby. c:

I like the first series and TPOT. <3

Jayfeather 4 life I miss his huge popularity. Hollyleaf took that away from him. ;~;
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:10:05 15/04/2018 by DarkCynder_543
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#5 Posted: 05:08:52 16/04/2018
I've read up to the fifth arc in regards to the main series, and I think every super edition before and including Branmblestar's Storm. I've got all the manga and field guides too, and have read the first six novellas, I believe.
Loved the series as a kid, I basically grew up with it ... and I still draw some fan art today! But yeah, haven't read the sixth series, and I'm not even sure if I plan to. I think they're just dragging it on too long now.
(Still really wants to see Jingo's group come to the lake or something.)

I wish they did more with Bluestar though. I mean, the first time I read the books I loved her ... then I went through a period of hating her because she sacrificed her family for power. But then I thought that she'd be so much better as a villain, and started to like her again when I began to consider her as an anti-villain (if that's the right term)? I don't know.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#6 Posted: 06:04:31 16/04/2018 | Topic Creator
I dunno, I never got the whole 'Bluestar sacrificed her family for power' argument because Starclan kept forcing her to do it to the point they kept giving her visions of blood. She didn't have a choice. If she didn't, ThunderClan would have been destroyed and that was all she ever got told. I blame Starclan for being too nosy. :\

Also never got the 'Thornclaw did nothing wrong' argument and was on Bluestar's side through the whole thing. Her reactions felt real to me.
---
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#7 Posted: 15:23:53 19/04/2018
I'm interested in reading these, actually! I'm just... Swamped by how many there are. Where do I start?

I read the Wings of Fire series, and I think the author of that collaborated on Warriors? Did loads of authors club together or something to write about cats?
#8 Posted: 02:07:07 22/04/2018 | Topic Creator
I'm actually not sure if the author of Wings of Fire actually help out with warriors or not. But if she does, it would be for the far later titles since she joined a lot later. But I know that she mainly helped to write the Seekers books.

Warriors is written by two authors and one author that comes up with the story, so three overall (but now four), and they went under the name Erin Hunter. I tried to get into the Wings of Fire series but just couldn't with the way it was written. But I can see the similarities. There is definitely a lot of warriors books and in all honestly. I'd say that the first and second series is really all that's worth reading. But you can continue if you want. Definitely start by publishing order, so start with the first series. Then I highly recommend Bluestar's Prophecy after you've finished the first series.
---
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#9 Posted: 02:30:51 22/04/2018
I’m reading the first set of books. I’m on book 3 or 4 iirc.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#10 Posted: 19:28:19 22/04/2018
Quote: DarkCynder_543
I'm actually not sure if the author of Wings of Fire actually help out with warriors or not. But if she does, it would be for the far later titles since she joined a lot later. But I know that she mainly helped to write the Seekers books.

Warriors is written by two authors and one author that comes up with the story, so three overall (but now four), and they went under the name Erin Hunter. I tried to get into the Wings of Fire series but just couldn't with the way it was written. But I can see the similarities. There is definitely a lot of warriors books and in all honestly. I'd say that the first and second series is really all that's worth reading. But you can continue if you want. Definitely start by publishing order, so start with the first series. Then I highly recommend Bluestar's Prophecy after you've finished the first series.

Thanks! I'll add the first book to my to-read list (which is getting ridiculously long, by the way! smilie).

And regarding Wings of Fire: What do you mean about the way that it's written? I'm just asking as I found the first book hard to get into as well - between the uninteresting POV character (Clay), weird pacing (IMO) and the random violence of it all, I just don't think it is a good introduction to the series.
willspyro Ripto Gems: 5862
#11 Posted: 23:27:39 29/04/2018
Yeah I remember those books. I need to reread the first arc again.
TheFlyingSeal Diamond Sparx Gems: 8512
#12 Posted: 15:54:38 10/05/2018
Breezepelt is a garbage child and will always be one
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
#13 Posted: 13:04:23 15/05/2018 | Topic Creator
lol i always hated breezepelt
---
#14 Posted: 02:02:11 25/05/2018
Quote: TheFlyingSeal
Breezepelt is a garbage child and will always be one

Quote: DarkCynder_543
lol i always hated breezepelt

THANK YOU.
I don't get why people on tumblr love him now? He was always awful to me, and I absolutely hate how the Erins paired him with Heathertail. From what I remember he seemed to believe that he owned her and that no other tom could have her. UGH
---
I draw stuff.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:05:06 25/05/2018 by Bolt
#15 Posted: 10:39:34 04/06/2018 | Topic Creator
Him being loved on tumblr is a thing? I've always hated him. xD

The one thing I honestly don't get though is the sudden huge love for Hollyleaf (and the sudden hate for Jayfeather even though he was like the most popular cat back when OOTS was still going). Sorry incoming rant time because I don't know where else to put this, but I feel she is heavily overrated now and doesn't really deserve it? It seems like she is only loved because of one book. Don't get me wrong, I liked where her character arc lead to and I liked the character development, but I felt she was handled far too poorly.

I don't know, i just feel that she was not useful to the plot in any way throughout her entire run and served only filler, which is not good for a major character at all. In POT Jayfeather basically had the entire plot given to him and still did in OOTS with Rock and all, even Lionblaze had the dark forest stuff going on in POT, Hollyleaf.... went crazy in one book....???? She did do stuff like try to talk to Sol and all, but it was filler events. Also I do love what they tried to do with Holly, but I also felt it would have worked better if it was with a cat who was more anti-villain to start with, and also honestly had more personality to begin with because other than a warrior code obsession she was super bland. You could just tell the Erins had no idea what to do with her and it really showed with her lack of plot relevance.
---
ShadowMewX Diamond Sparx Gems: 8044
#16 Posted: 16:53:40 14/06/2018
I just finished reading River of Fire yesterday! Glad to see there’s still some discussion here on DS. ^.^
I personally feel like the fourth arc was a bit...I dunno if “rushed” is right, but a bit less planned out than the others before and after them (I looove Dawn of the Clans oh man). I’ve never been a Jayfeather fan (I typically dislike characters who are grumpy/rude for the sake of it), but I do appreciate the breath of fresh air he brings to the series because there aren’t a lot of main characters like that. Lionblaze is my favorite sibling of the three. Hollyleaf had so much potential, but I feel like they should have mapped her out way earlier on to take advantage of that. Like, can you imagine if she was destined to be one of the Three, but then something happens to make her an anti-hero, only to redeem herself at the end? That would be sweet.
---
Let's bust bunsen burners and bounce!
#17 Posted: 20:21:15 14/06/2018
Oh? Is the sixth arc any good? I've only read up to DotC, which I think was the best series in a long while.

But yeah, I didn't enjoy the fourth arc much myself. I think it got too caught up in fantasy and the Dark Forest ... I liked it when the StarClan cats didn't meddle too much in the affairs of the living, and they were just there in the background. Maybe that's why DotC was so good for me, because StarClan didn't really exist yet?

And I agree with you so much regarding the three. Jayfeather was a ***** and I hated his sarcasm towards everyone, even when they were just trying to help him. I mean, I get that he was bitter about not being able to become a warrior, but don't take it out on everyone else. I don't think the Erins are very good at writing complex characters. cx
Yeah, Lionblaze was nice, but I also feel like he was the most forgettable of the three. He was just like, I don't know, the big nice guy who is good at fighting? I haven't read the books in a long while, but that's all I really remember of him! :x
Ah, yes, Hollyleaf ... she was my favourite, and I agree ... so much wasted potential with her character. I heard that she was supposed to be one of the three, but Vicky couldn't think of a power that would suit her personality as well as aid the clans against the Dark Forest. I don't see why she couldn't have just had Dovewing's power? Pfft, speaking of, Dove was even more forgettable that Lionblaze. I would have loved to see Holly as an anti-hero or a villain ... misguided by her loyalty to the warrior code and blowing things way too much out of proportion.
Oh well!

Sorry I kinda got carried away with my rambling about the series lol.
---
I draw stuff.
#18 Posted: 20:49:19 14/06/2018
Vision of Shadows is pretty alright! I haven’t really been in touch with the fanbase for a while to hear the general consensus, though, and the only fans I’ve heard recently are the ones who whine that the original series is the only good one. smilie I think Vision of Shadows introduces some neat new characters and situations, and it even threw some things in there that I didn’t see coming. Twigpaw (I won’t spoil her warrior name) is insufferable to me, though- she and her sister are like the revived Dovewing and Ivypool, but they certainly don’t ruin the whole series for me or anything!
I agree with you on the fourth arc! StarClan is supposed to be paws-off, all-knowing (but not all-influencing) and neutral, but the whole deal with the deceased crashing back into the world of the living didn’t make much sense. And all the atheistic cats look dumb now, too. smilie
Haha, fair enough! I understand being bitter, but there’s no sense on taking it out on everyone around you, Jayfeather! I can see where people are coming from when they say that Lionblaze was the most forgettable- his powers are concrete and his role in the whole thing was obvious. Meanwhile, it was like, “How does seeing into dreams help in a giant cat battle? Should we put everyone to sleep?” smilie I never really understood why Hollyleaf couldn’t have just had Dovewing’s power, either! Her whole Warrior Code loyalty would have been interesting to explore- like, her ancestry outright broke two of the rules, but I’d like to know if there was any more she could take before she snaps, aided by new powers! Or something, lol.
---
#19 Posted: 13:34:56 01/07/2018 | Topic Creator
Eh tbh I do understand why people don't like Jayfeather; the grumpy personality is not for everyone (I happen to always end up liking it and I found it funny. You're talking to someone who has Karkat as a huge favourite and he is basically Jay but with added screaming and swearing). I admit that I have always been a huge Jayfeather fan and he is my favorite Warriors character behind Bluestar (another character who gets a lot of hate ive noticed lol) and Cinderpelt. He is also one of my favourite fictional characters overall. I guess I can kind of see where he is coming from and why he does it, not that it justifies it. People like to compare him to characters like Cinderpelt, Longtail, Brightheart, Briarlight, etc (especially Longtail) when he can actually not be compared to them because they had a chance to experience a real life and be who they wanted to be before their accident. Jayfeather was born with his disability and could never have a proper life since birth. If you notice in Leafpool's sidestory, his grumpy personality is completely absent as a kit before The Sight and he shrugged off his blindness and didn't care. I honestly think he didn't develop the hatred to the world and his foul attitude to everyone until he found out he could never live a proper life and was constantly doubted by everyone he knew except his siblings. And I love his character development; he went from thinking medicine cats were useless and only gathered herbs to defending the role, and his general aggression toned down a lot. He did seem to go back to his old personality in the 6th series, but I also read somewhere that the reason is because he lost his powers so he feels even blinder and useless than ever before, which makes sense to me. I guess it's hard to tell because we're no longer in his mind anymore. A lot of people also think that Snowkit would have been similar to Jay if he never died. Not just this, but he was pretty much the main character after TNP and did literally everything, and the Erins nailed the blindness and it was really fresh and interesting to read. His blindness and the amount of personality he has just stands out a lot, even among the original cast. I just feel Jay is one of the few characters the Erins have done that is actually deep, especially when you look into his character more. I find it weird that they wrote one character so well with a lot of personality and a disability that makes reading his pov so different, yet the rest of the new cast is bland as heck with personality like cardboard with Ivy being the only exception?

I just feel the Erins dug themselves in a hole with the characters because all the plot in TPOT and especially OOTS centers around StarClan, the dead in general, ancestors, a stick, Rock, etc, and Jayfeather was the only one who had access to all of this due to being a Medicine Cat and his powers. He was going back in time and everything, meanwhile the rest ether had relationship problems and filler or died and came back, Ivy being somewhat an exception. Lion, Holly and Dove couldn't really do anything to push the plot forward because they didn't have access to all the spiritual stuff, and there wasn't really any way that they could. I somewhat feel that Dove and Ivy shouldn't of became a thing and the stuff they did should have been given to Holly and Lion. Holly should have had Dove's powers and Lion should have had the plot of being a spy in the dark forest since he literally had free access there at one point with Tigerstar visiting him. They should have fully fleshed out the characters they already had instead of adding more.

I've also heard some interesting stuff about The Last Hope, how it was meant to be a lot longer, Brambleclaw wasn't meant to be leader and he was meant to flee, Squirrelflight was meant to become the next leader (she was the 'unexpected' leader the Erins teased), Midnight was meant to turn out to be evil all along and take Firestar's last life (and I'm guessing the whole point of the three happens now and they are the ones to stop her with their powers or something). A lot more cats were meant to die in the battle, Crowfeather and Cloudtail being among them. Don't know why it changed.

Tbh I do admit to being one of those people who think Warriors went downhill after the first series. Although I do actually also like TPOT. The Sight is one of my favourites. I definitely believe they ruined StarClan after TNP because I liked it more when they were just a bunch of dead cats and couldn't control anything. Now cats die twice, like wtf lol.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:54:14 02/07/2018 by DarkCynder_543
#20 Posted: 02:48:53 11/08/2018
whoops i forgot to come back to this discussion my bad

You make a tonnnn of good points in there! Jayfeather definitely had an aspect about him that made him stand out (his blindness), and the Erins integrated it very well, both into his personality and into his role. Maybe cats that had more unique things about them, like Jayfeather does, would help make them more memorable? I'm really starting to lose track of the cast at this point, though whether that's because I've read through literal generations of cats by now or because they've become blander is up for debate. smilie I just reread Mapleshade's Vengeance today and now I want to see more cats develop into antagonists because of terrible tragedies. Mapleshade was just brutal and I love it, lol. Speaking of villains, I also just heard a thing that whatever author decided to plunk Ashfur in StarClan regrets her decision now. I agree. I'm a firm believer that Thistleclaw belongs in the Dark Forest, but what Ashfur did was like...worse and he got off scot-free!
I never thought about it like that, but yeah, you're right! There was such a heavy emphasis on the spiritual stuff, and only one main character who had access to it. Then again, I guess there's only so much petty Clan rivalry one can write about, but now the books are trying to return to it and it just feels really low-stakes compared to what we had before. Darktail's mini-arc was pretty neat, though. He was like Scourge 2.0 there, and we haven't had a threat like that since the beginning, especially not with a twist like his heritage! Did you hear about what happened to Tigerheart? I'm pretty shook, tbh. Makes me really curious how things on his end are going to go.
Whaaaaat? I've never heard about that The Last Hope stuff before! That's nuts! :0 Aw man, I just can't even...evil Midnight? Squirrelstar? I'd be up for a dramatic ending like that, honestly. Not too surprised about the paring down of character deaths, though- I know the editor team constantly has to stop the main writers from killing off too many, lol. Though killing off Cloudtail would definitely be easier for them because they wouldn't have to try to explain why he'd still be an atheist, even after battling his ancestors. smilie
I definitely understand why people prefer the first series (everyone seemed way more cat-like then, especially in the first book)! In their attempt to expand the world, it's gotten wacky and unrealistic in some regards. I got into all the books right before The Last Hope came out, so I loved all the series equally for a while because it was all fresh in my mind. However, now after a lot of thought, my two least favorite arcs are probably Power of Three and Omen of the Stars. I like most of the other stuff they put out, I think.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me