Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > What are you guys worried about for the possible remaster/future games?
Page 1 of 1
What are you guys worried about for the possible remaster/future games?
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#1 Posted: 20:16:14 06/03/2018 | Topic Creator
I would worry that the game is to hyperrealistic and strays from the original games art style to much
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:41:49 08/03/2018 by Bryman04
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 20:21:18 06/03/2018
Removing parts of the aesthetic to look more next-gen. It worked for Shadow of the Colossus, but that doesn't mean it's going to work here. In fact, that's what made DOTD such a bloom party.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:21:40 06/03/2018 by Bifrost
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#3 Posted: 20:28:05 06/03/2018
I'm worried that they'll strip Spyro 1 of its charm. Spyro 1 has a uniqueness to it, a unique aesthetic, and I hope that it stays retained in the remake.

I also hope that they don't mess up Spyro 1's controls.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#4 Posted: 20:30:59 06/03/2018
I'm sorta worried about the enemy models, or just models in general. VV made some of the enemies in NST look pretty uncanny, and the enemies in Spyro don't really have many distinctive features because most of the time their faces are just a shape with some eyes slapped on, which may be badly translated through to the new models. (I'm mostly worried about the humanoid characters)
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#5 Posted: 21:25:32 06/03/2018
  • My biggest concern is probably the overall mood of the games.
  • I strongly hope V.V. or whatever is in charge undertands that just because bounciness and Looney Tunes’ animations worked for Crash, doesn’t mean they will for Spyro as well
  • Flat textures not popping up
  • Non-realistic lighting removed in favor of realistic one
  • Overly realistic and detailed enemies (fully agree with Bolt, Gnorcs and other humanoids particularly worry me)
  • Very minor, but it would be a pity if they forgot to add certain small touches such as enemies fighting between them in certain Gateway to Glimmer levels, or Foot Soldiers flashing their butts in Peace Keepers)

Have to say I do have full faith in terms of sky-boxes, remade assets and controls.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#6 Posted: 22:18:50 06/03/2018
- The superfly controls. I'm finding Rings of Power in the N.Sane trilogy harder than I remember it being in the original, so I'm worried that Spyro's flight will be just as hard to steer.

- Spyro's voice. I don't think Skyro's Imaginators voice will suit his classic counterpart. If they can't bring back Carlos or Tom to voice him, then I hope they at least get someone who sounds like either of them.

- Stewart Copeland not allowing them to use or remake his music, so they'd have to resort to composing suspiciously similar substitutes or worse; using royalty free music.

- The designs of human/humanlike characters such as Handel, Greta and Agent Zero. I can't imagine how they would look without being too uncanny or out of place. I also hope Zoe doesn't look as ugly as she does in AHT.

- Speaking of Zoe, I was never a fan of her AHT voice either so I hope her voice in the remake doesn't sound anything like that because that would get annoying very quickly.

- No cheat codes such as colour changing.

- The sky boxes being too underwhelming.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:19:52 06/03/2018 by alicecarp
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#7 Posted: 06:09:20 07/03/2018
1) Vicarious Visions is making the game. Admittedly, they seemed to be the most qualified people to make a Crash remaster, but the end result was mostly negative for me. It did the Crash aesthetic very well, so that's why I want their art teams to have a role in the Spyro remaster, but their programmers just aren't up to snuff. Then again, Crash's movement and attacks are very different to Spyro's, as are the levels. So maybe, just maybe, they can get this right.

2) They do the music wrong. I criticised the N. Sane Trilogy for sounding like the artists were just having a jam session in their free time, showing off with guitar solos and virtually skipping some of the best parts of a song. I don't expect Stewart Copeland to return with upgraded tech, but I have no doubts that there's people out there who do music for a hobby that can do a better job than VV. In fact, just do that: get hobbyists.

3) Art style. Not much to say here, it's like saying "boltguns shouldn't sound like that". Nothing will be better than what's in my head.

5) Controls. Only a minor worry because it takes effort to ruin such simple controls.

6) No day one patches. I'd like to be able to play this game even after Sony and whoever else pulls the plug on their servers. Make it work out of the box. Put it on three discs if you have to. Put it in three cases. Charge £60 each for them at HMV if you have to.

7) I won't be referenced.
#8 Posted: 07:13:59 07/03/2018
Everyone seems worried about the controls. I've never played any of the Skylanders games that VV developed (I've only played the 3DS versions of the first two games), but do they handle well? Can they even be compared to a Spyro game?
---
I draw stuff.
#9 Posted: 07:39:12 07/03/2018
Quote: Bolt
Everyone seems worried about the controls. I've never played any of the Skylanders games that VV developed (I've only played the 3DS versions of the first two games), but do they handle well? Can they even be compared to a Spyro game?

VV's Skylander games control incredibly well (mind you, I don't know what inspired them to go with Superchargers' vehicle controls - they feel too RC), but the jumps are a bit tricky because of the high gravity, and this isn't helped with many characters' animations. Thankfully you don't really lose any progress whatsoever when you fall to your doom, but in a game where lives exist it's super important. I'd go as far as to say that controls are paramount in any video game, second only to fun and even then in most cases one can bring down the other.

I can appreciate other people not being as bothered about the controls as I am, but for me control is crucial. A game has to feel good to play to begin to be good. That's why I don't recognise a lot of the good the N. Sane Trilogy did, because its weight was so distracting. The same with Wrath of Cortex.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:40:30 07/03/2018 by Johnbonne
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#10 Posted: 17:53:02 07/03/2018
I hope they don't remove the scene where Spyro flies from world to world whilst it's loading, hopefully they don't add a blank screen with "LOADING" on it.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#11 Posted: 18:21:51 07/03/2018
What the enemies will look like. I've been watching lets plays of the trilogy and tons of the enemies are hard to comprehend in old school graphics. I worry that they're gonnna come out looking uncanny or underwhelming in new graphics.
#12 Posted: 18:21:52 07/03/2018
^ They'd have to be stupid if they don't include those loading screens. They're such a huge part of the game, I honestly doubt that they wouldn't include them.
---
I draw stuff.
#13 Posted: 18:45:39 07/03/2018
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
I hope they don't remove the scene where Spyro flies from world to world whilst it's loading, hopefully they don't add a blank screen with "LOADING" on it.

But what if the console loads the level so quickly that the loading screen couldn't do any of that stuff? Or that there wasn't a loading screen?!

[User Posted Image]
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#14 Posted: 19:01:06 07/03/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: Johnbonne
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

But what if the console loads the level so quickly that the loading screen couldn't do any of that stuff? Or that there wasn't a loading screen?!

[User Posted Image]

The original 3 Crash Bandicoot games would load levels by chunks, cutting down loading time. The Crash Bandicoot Remaster loads the level entirely, thus making the loading screen more noticeable. I have a sour feeling the same would happen in a Spyro Remaster too, considering if Vicarious Visions learned nothing from the Crash Bandicoot Remaster. Spyro in comparison with his original games would load levels also in chunks, and also used an innovative for its time LOD system
#15 Posted: 19:06:58 07/03/2018
With how long the N. Sane Trilogy levels took to load...?
Absolutely not worried about that possibility. smilie

I have basically zero knowledge regarding this subject but I guess loading times would be more or less the same, because while the PS4 would have to load PS1 structures and content it would also have to do that in HD, with brand new advanced graphics and effcts.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
LindseyWednesdy Blue Sparx Gems: 769
#16 Posted: 23:41:18 07/03/2018
Activision letting their wallet do the thinking for them. >_<
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#17 Posted: 00:01:24 08/03/2018
Ummm, a lot smilie

-Graphic style. I worry they'll make it way too realistic when that's not the look Spyro needs to go for, it doesn't fit with the games. The type of upgrade I've always imagined is something similar to how Mario Kart 8/8 Deluxe has upgraded the graphics of previous courses. The feel and look of the courses never changed, and I don't know enough about the technical aspect to say exactly what's happened but it's an upgraded version of the same environment, rather than changed to be too realistic.

-Voice acting. I personally do not like any of the voice actors who voice Spyro in Skylanders or Skylanders Academy, and if Tom or Carlos (or even Jess Harnell, I didn't mind him in AHT, not that I'm sure he would work in the classic trilogy) won't return then I think that would ruin it for me, particularly in the latter two games where there is a lot more dialogue.

-Music. Stewart Copeland made the games, and that's not an exaggeration. The same as with a TV show or film, if the music isn't up to scratch it ruins the whole experience. If they don't just use his tracks (and add in the ones in YoTD which were only in the Greatest Hits version) or get him back to 'jazz them up' a it and upgrade them (not that it's necessary imo) then I don't think the games will be anywhere near as good.

-Controls. Spyro is known for its excellent controls, particularly when it comes to swimming. Other people have said it so I won't go into too much detail, but they have to keep it at that level.

-I suppose, I don't know how to sum this up in a word, but I feel like an appreciation from the perspective of a fan and of the smaller details that fans find important is needed. Things like keeping in a few of the glitches and the cheat codes, and not leaving out any hidden dialogue, it may seem a small issue from their perspective but it definitely isn't to the people who play it. There's a lot of little things that I'm worried they'll ignore or brush over.

I guess overall it worries me because the things I want 'fixed' and the result I have in my head, because we've been waiting so long for something to happen with Spyro, will never happen and the actual result will never live up to what anyone has in their heads. In some ways I wish it wasn't happening, because I'm worried it'll be a let down. There's no way that, even with all the groundwork there, another developer can possibly do it the same as Insomniac did, and even then only the specific people who worked on it. All the little things that people have hoped would be improved (aka Dragon Shores made bigger, the island in Midnight Mountain being accessible, the hidden area in Dino Mines being used) probably won't be. I'm half thinking that maybe the dreaming and the speculation but nothing happening is better than a lacklustre remaster that's ultimately going to let the fans down when we've waited so long for something to happen. Skylanders messed up Spyro (but were good to Crash), let's hope this isn't a repeat. Hopefully Activision can redeem themselves. I'm being cynical and overdramatic but after years of waiting, I just want it to be good.
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#18 Posted: 00:27:29 08/03/2018
^You've taken the words straight out of my mouth.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#19 Posted: 01:26:02 08/03/2018
What I do want to add is that besides all my concerns, which also include the music since I forgot to mention it previously, I am positive about these remakes.
Because while I will be more critical and even nitpicky compared to how I accepted the N. Sane Trilogy, I am confident I won’t be disappointed: not because I have low expectations, not at all, but because I want these remakes to be different.

Thinking back to when they were releasing gameplay videos for Crash I found myself looking at every small different detail and turning my nose up, until I realized I would have never played the remakes next to the originals at the same time.
And when I finally got to play the game, I was immensely satisfied: the asthetics, the musics and the animations were different but worked together in a way that captured the feeling of the source material.

This is what I want for Spyro: make slightly different musics (not even Copeland would be able to outdo himself, let’s face it), change certain colors and lights, tweak the animations but only do that if you can still preserve what made that character, level or situation what it originally was.
Crash proved me it can be done, and I believe Spyro will greately surpass it.

After all, if you can’t top perfection, why not take inspiration from it? smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#20 Posted: 01:52:52 08/03/2018
^Not to this post in specific, more than other ones of your posts, but, drek, you make the best posts, lol. they're very thought out, how do you find time for grammar on top of that?

More serious worries of mine than my earlier post would be the music and voices. i'm not asking for perfection, but please don't alter the music too much, and even if we don't have one returning voice actor, I still hope that we'll get some good ones, pretty please? ^_^
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
#21 Posted: 02:18:09 08/03/2018
Quote: LindseyWednesdy
^Not to this post in specific, more than other ones of your posts, but, drek, you make the best posts, lol. they're very thought out, how do you find time for grammar on top of that?

More serious worries of mine than my earlier post would be the music and voices. i'm not asking for perfection, but please don't alter the music too much, and even if we don't have one returning voice actor, I still hope that we'll get some good ones, pretty please? smilie

Haha, thanks!
Guess I simply have a lot of free time, so I tend to read my posts multiple times to make sure they are as clear, correct and complete as possible.
Usually do the same in italian. smilie

Speaking of italian, while I do understand your concern about voice acting I cannot share it: just like for Crash, the italian dubbing for Spyro was... Questionable.
I do like it for nostalgic reasons but it can only improve.
If you can understand italian even when spoken, try to look for some of the cutscenes on YouTube: it’s hard to simply understand what they are saying, at times!
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#22 Posted: 02:24:24 08/03/2018
Quote: Drek95

More serious worries of mine than my earlier post would be the music and voices. i'm not asking for perfection, but please don't alter the music too much, and even if we don't have one returning voice actor, I still hope that we'll get some good ones, pretty please? ^_^

Haha, thanks!
Guess I simply have a lot of free time, so I tend to read my posts multiple times to make sure they are as clear, correct and complete as possible.
Usually do the same in italian. XD

Speaking of italian, while I do understand your concern about voice acting I cannot share it: just like for Crash, the italian dubbing for Spyro was... Questionable.
If you can understand italian even when spoken, try to look for some of the cutscenes on YouTube: it’s hard to simply understand what they are saying, at times!

you are very welcome! ^_^

oh, you play the Italian versions in the language? neat. i'm probably going to give that a try then, I never heard it before. if it really is bad, then hopefully they won't reprise the roles. did they for crash?
---
#23 Posted: 02:48:41 08/03/2018
Quote: Drek95

More serious worries of mine than my earlier post would be the music and voices. i'm not asking for perfection, but please don't alter the music too much, and even if we don't have one returning voice actor, I still hope that we'll get some good ones, pretty please? smilie

Haha, thanks!
Usually do the same in italian. smilie

you are very welcome! smilie

oh, you play the Italian versions in the language? neat. i'm probably going to give that a try then, I never heard it before. if it really is bad, then hopefully they won't reprise the roles. did they for crash?

Nope, the italian dubbing fro Crash’s remakes is a million times better than the originals.
I’m not even sure those could be considered professional dubbers, just what the industry could afford back then.

They even managed to bring back Cortex’s voice from the PS2 era, which is quite admirable considering the actor is 72 years old; he was also hired for the same role in Skylanders Imaginators, it was sooooo good hearing the voice I grew up with.
Can’t think of any old Spyro games’ voice which could be iconic and recognizable enough to fit the remakes: maaaaaybe the Professor’s from A Hero’s Tail, but that’s about it.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#24 Posted: 04:36:09 08/03/2018
Ruining the color palette
Wonky voiceovers
If they change the sound those metal guys in Magic Crafters make when they die
---
#all Spyros are valid
#25 Posted: 07:17:36 08/03/2018
Quote: Okaps
Ruining the color palette
Wonky voiceovers
If they change the sound those metal guys in Magic Crafters make when they die

Eyow! Yow! Eyow! Uuuurl! Or the guys in robes, "Yoh-hoh-hoh-hoh! Oh-hoh-hoh-hoh!"

I preferred the ones from the Beast Makers. "HURL!" "HURR!" "Ehehe...heh..he..." and the guns that go TAT-TA-TAT-TAT!
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#26 Posted: 13:12:55 08/03/2018
Oh man I never thought of the enemy noises! I hope they don't get ruined.
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#27 Posted: 13:50:14 08/03/2018
I hope the green druids will still run around and scream the same way they did in the original.

If the thieves don't go nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah like they used to, I'll be very disappointed.
#28 Posted: 14:30:17 08/03/2018
Sound effects and sound design in general are really important for the success of these remakes, but I’m optimistic about them.

Crash arguably had less sound effects, but all of them were pretty memorable and I think they paid respect to them in the N. Sane Trilogy.
Not a long time Crash fan though, so I might notice changes more easily with Spyro.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#29 Posted: 17:34:28 08/03/2018
I didn't realise it but that's probably my biggest fear, actually: Spyro getting his remakes, then disappearing into obscurity again for who knows how long. To do with the remakes themselves, though, definitely the music, especially for the first game. I don't think I've played the games enough to be able to notice small changes, like enemy noises, but the soundtrack is iconic!

Think of the soundtrack as a vase - beautiful, but fragile. And it's an antique vase - it needs modernising. The developers of the games have a choice: I suppose they can remaster the music (i.e. carefully renovating the vase) or make it from scratch (make a new vase, referring to the original and matching it as close as possible). What terrifies me is if they make a new vase that's completely different from our original, beautiful vase. Like, if they go and buy a vase from a supermarket or something.

This analogy is getting away from me, but I hope I make some sense!
#30 Posted: 20:05:28 08/03/2018
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I'm honestly less worried about the remakes themselves, and more so about the future of the series. I'm kind of worried that Activision hasn't learned from what happened with both Crash and Spyro after Naughty Dog and Insomniac were no longer involved.
I honestly don't want both Crash and Spyro to come back, only to revert back to inconsistent quality and mediocrity. Because at that point we'll just be back at where were about ten years ago up until recently, with both series being dead.

I feel like them at least acknowledging that people want the classic games back, and giving us remakes of said classics, is a good sign, but I'm still kind of worried.

Otherwise, while I will definitely be more critical of Spyro remakes than the N. Sane Trilogy (Because, while I played both Crash and Spyro as a kid, Spyro was always the bigger part of my childhood), I personally doubt that I'll be overall disappointed.
Mainly because, while the N. Sane Trilogy certainly isn't perfect, I thought Vicarious Visions did an outstanding job with it even despite some of its flaws. I honestly like it more than the originals, ngl. (Especially with Crash 1, which I never liked to begin with)

^Exactly!

This is what I was thinking. I have been wondering what Spyro's future will hold after these remakes. if it does well, i'm pretty sure we'll move on to a new game, however, I am concerned over what that might mean. This is Activision, and they think with their wallets, so we might get a "classic" game, but how high are the odds that there will be a gimmick of some sort, or something that will keep reaching in your pockets. that is Activision's specialty, like Skylanders.

If not something money orientated, I'm not sure they'll take us back to the classics without putting something of their own in there to make it more "sellable."
---
#31 Posted: 20:12:21 08/03/2018
If true, Crash’s 2019 game will help us get a good idea of where Activision want to take those series after the remakes.

I’m a bit concerned myself but hopefully the money the N. Sane Trilogy (and likely Spyro’s remakes) will make are going to speak louder than their constant need to innovate where it’s not needed.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me