Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Does anyone have experience with UE4 coding?
Page 1 of 1
Does anyone have experience with UE4 coding?
shadowstarcat Gold Sparx Gems: 2177
#1 Posted: 07:33:23 11/02/2018 | Topic Creator
Hi, Im currently experimenting with game development but i still cant quite grasp the coding aspect (even with UE being visual coding rip). If anyone can help me pls PM me ><
---
Im a crazy feral vigilante dragon lady
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#2 Posted: 14:57:47 11/02/2018
You mean Unreal Engine 4 I assume? You wouldn't happen to know which coding language it uses would you?
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
LindseyWednesdy Blue Sparx Gems: 769
#3 Posted: 23:16:18 11/02/2018
It uses C++ and its own coding "language," nodes.

What do you need help with, specifically? :-)
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#4 Posted: 23:28:30 11/02/2018
Afraid I won't be too much help then, I'm only starting C++ myself.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
#5 Posted: 04:39:03 12/02/2018 | Topic Creator
so im trying to create a somewhat realistic sense of flying like a bird in a third person environment. these are some of the things im stuck on:

- initiate the flight mode from pressing jump three times (like Dawn of the Dragon)
- Have the character speed up when flying down and slow when flying up
- have a button to increase speed
- When in this mode be always flying forward except when a 'hover' button is held down
- Camera locks behind character in air

currently the camera turns the character in air but i kinda want the other way around :'))) im just new to the language and meanings of nodes and stuff and im probably too ambitious but this will probs be a long term project so i have a lot of time to figure it out.
tutorials have helped a bit but im still stumped on the jump 3 times to fly gimmick smilie'''

if anyone can help thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu ><
---
#6 Posted: 19:49:37 12/02/2018
Quote: shadowstarcat
so im trying to create a somewhat realistic sense of flying like a bird in a third person environment. these are some of the things im stuck on:

- initiate the flight mode from pressing jump three times (like Dawn of the Dragon)
- Have the character speed up when flying down and slow when flying up
- have a button to increase speed
- When in this mode be always flying forward except when a 'hover' button is held down
- Camera locks behind character in air

currently the camera turns the character in air but i kinda want the other way around :'))) im just new to the language and meanings of nodes and stuff and im probably too ambitious but this will probs be a long term project so i have a lot of time to figure it out.
tutorials have helped a bit but im still stumped on the jump 3 times to fly gimmick ^^'''

if anyone can help thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu ><

i should be able to help you, yes. :-) i'm quite busy this week, so it will be kind of slow, but for starters i will send you in the right direction...

-i believe the first thing is done with true and false (for, let's say 'X' to jump three consecutive times) that will fire off the "flying node tree" that you'll have to put together with all of things you listed below this.

-i'm not too sure on the second one, but i will look into it. i think it will probably be the same as the next one i will explain, but using direction instead.

-the third one is fairly simple. in your player character there should be a "speed/character speed node." when you've activated the "flying nodes" you need to have a node that checks if "flying node is true" and fires off a faster speed to the player character speed node.

-i believe you should have the controls for the "forward direction node" always be firing off while the "flying node tree" is active, but i forget how to "automate" things outside of matinee, but that's not what you want, because that stops gameplay/or puts something on a set path.

-for the camera, if you go into the player character's node setup, the visual one (so sorry i forget the name) you'll see an actual physical camera behind your character. what you have to do is duplicate that camera, or create a new camera, and place it where you want... i kind of get lost here, i know it has something to do with getting the character direction controls nodes and multiplying th roll/pitch/yaw to the camera...

i'm not sure this is what you want, but this might help...

i'm sorry for the mostly not helpful post, but i think this is the right direction for the most of what you want. i'll look into each thing specifically and get back to you as i research, i just always forget the nodes names if they're not in front in me.

i'm used to coding in html/css/simple c++ off of the top of my head, but ue4 can be a little complicated.

great choice in game engine, though. i hope your project comes out great. i'm sure you'll get the hang of it and start making beautiful games. :-)
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:19:13 13/02/2018 by LindseyWednesdy
#7 Posted: 05:58:43 13/02/2018 | Topic Creator
Thank you for the help Lindsey! Ill do my best to get these few tgings working tonight smilie
And yeah i did an animation workshop recently and we had a look at Unreal and omg it was so cool i just had to play around with it smilie even if my project is a side one im really hoping i can get somewhere with it.
---
#8 Posted: 07:20:55 13/02/2018
^you are very welcome! :-) by the weekend i should have figured out how to do a lot of the stuff you're trying to do.

i'm sorry about the video, i fixed the link in my last post so you can see. i accidentally tagged it as a picture, and not a youtube video, whoops!
---
#9 Posted: 01:47:23 17/02/2018 | Topic Creator
Ive managed to initiate flight mode with three jumps! i actually nearly did it earlier and forgot to change the max jump counter woops.
But ive now screwed up the camera settings :'))
---
#10 Posted: 04:42:29 18/02/2018
cool! so what's left. or what's giving you the absolute hardest time? i'll look into that specifically.
---
#11 Posted: 04:56:21 18/02/2018 | Topic Creator
the most important part probably. im trying to copy some node trees from the flying template but so far nothing has happened. The character doesnt fly in the up and down axis now and is fixed to paralell to the ground. I may have deleted a rotation node somewhere when modifying something. and im still working on the automatic flying which im trying to figure out from the flying template.

Wow that sentence is very jumbled smilie' I hope it makes sense.
---
#12 Posted: 06:19:32 18/02/2018
could i have a screen shot of the node tree? :-)
---
#13 Posted: 09:37:36 25/02/2018 | Topic Creator
ok so this is what ive done to make a constant speed:

https://drive.google.com/open?...ekJTxF3IB7H6iiQ

and it has worked! but i dont want pressing W to go faster i want it to make the character dive.
any tips?
---
#14 Posted: 11:07:47 25/02/2018 | Topic Creator
Im also struggling with having just a normal glide if you hold the jump button :/
There's no tutorials anywhere ;-;
ill upload a video of what im doing soon.
---
#15 Posted: 21:15:05 06/03/2018
sorry, I didn't notice you posted again. you were gone for a while. I will see what I can do as soon as I have the time. I think I've already done this before, so i'll take a look tonight...! ;-)
---
#16 Posted: 23:58:14 08/03/2018
for the glide, if you copy the same node tree you using and lock the controls for up and down, that should start the "glide." you already have it set to be a continuous flight forward, right?

the other thing you need is for the character to slowly descend back to the floor, which is what i'm having trouble with. might open unreal and check it out myself.

also, I imagine you already have a 'landing' system set up, right? the same could be used for when the glide lowers to the point the character touches the floor, unless you have it to activate upon a button press?

sorry for lack of useful terminology, I was double tasking. >_<
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me