Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Why Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite game ever(and why it isn't perfect)
Page 1 of 1
Why Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite game ever(and why it isn't perfect)
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#1 Posted: 15:25:00 09/11/2017 | Topic Creator
Even though I haven't 100% Mario Odyssey yet, I can still say it is my favorite game ever. Although on here, it seems like it's a very unpopular opinion to like Mario Odyssey, so I'm gonna explain why Mario Odyssey is my favorite game ever. And also why it isn't perfect.

Let's start off with what I don't like about the game:

Some Moon Placements:
Some of the moon placements feels lazy, there are way too many ground pound missions, and moons that just sit around. This is more of a minor complaint, because the amount of creative moons, completely outweigh the lazy ones. But the fact that they exist is a bit of a problem.

The Cloud and Ruined Kingdoms:
These kingdoms felt like a waste of space. With such great designs and unique ideas, I was really hoping we would get some cool world with a boss at the end. But instead we get an arena with a boss that takes like 3-4 minutes to beat. They could've at least added a second world. But hey, whatevs.

Lack of Bosses:
Although there were a lot of cool bosses, I was a little disappointed when there weren't any big bosses in the Lost, Snow, and Lake Kingdoms. I wish there were some big bosses in those kingdoms aside from the Broodals.

Some of the Captures:
Some of the captures are just random things that appear once for 1 moon, like a slab of meat, a sewer cover, and moving stairs. I just wish there where more unique captures in the game.

With that out of the way, let's get to the things I do like about this game.

The Kingdoms:
None of the kingdoms felt unoriginal or boring, I never got bored exploring the vast kingdoms for their moons and missions. I loved every kingdom's design and uniqueness. No two kingdoms felt similar, all had different designs and themes.

The Moons:
A bit of fresh air from the power stars. The moons were a very good idea. With the sheer amount of power moons, being 999. It is an amazing amount of moons, and it doesn't even feel like too many.

Cappy:
Do I have to explain this one?

And then there are the Bosses, the new enemies, the minigames, the Koopa races, AUGH IT'S SO GOOD
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#2 Posted: 16:03:51 09/11/2017
I'd be interested to hear what moons you thought were creative, genuinely, not being sarcastic.

I can agree with cloud feeling like a bit of a waste, but the atmosphere of ruined kingdom is so good I can't complain about its lack of purpose.

Bosses I thought were fine, they are rarely Mario's strong suit, so adding more is a bit of a gamble in my eyes.

I'm not sure I understand the complaint about the captures, the small ones were just that, just small little ones to solve a puzzle, while the bigger ones I felt were more than enough.

Kingdoms for the most part I agree with, but I got kinda bored of sand kingdom pretty quick, it felt way too open and empty.

Changing from stars to moons seems entirely pointless to me, they just changed the name and the sprite, for no real reason. And there isn't 999 moons, the counter can go up to 999, but there's actually only 880 unique moons. And to me, it did feel like too many. With so many moons they start to lose value, it's no longer, "Yes, another star!" it's "oh, there's another moon" I have 100%, but I didn't particularly care that much.

And yeah, can you explain cappy? Are you saying he introduces a bunch of new interesting game mechanics? Are you saying you like his character?
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#3 Posted: 16:26:24 09/11/2017
I almost feel the same way (bar the 'captures', no idea what that means I'm afraid) - it is a good game, it is flawed, but it's not my favourite Mario game. I think the series would have to try very hard to make me love a Mario game quite like I did with Sunshine, and it doesn't help as time goes on with nostalgia building up. Having said that I still think the best Mario game in terms of controls or gameplay has to be either SMB3, World or Land.

As I keep on saying though, it made me smile from start to.... well, I've not finished yet. But I've not felt that in a brand new video game for a long time! smilie
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#4 Posted: 17:42:31 09/11/2017
I'm getting the feeling people dislike Odyssey because it's so widely loved.
Don't get me wrong, I do think it's a bit overrated and I personally don't consider it my favorite Mario title, but can't ignore the many nitpicks I heard which were equally greately exaggerated.

Have to say I agree with almost everything you said.

I too found certain Moons to be not as inspired in placement or requirement as the majority of them, especially the ones found thanks to the dog or simply thanks to the vibration of the Joy-Cons.
It's fine for more "restricted" Kingdoms such as the Seaside one, but in vast spaces like Tostarena it became a bit of a chore and not that fun nor engaging.
Highly preferred the ones which shined through the ground.

I would have loved if they expanded on the Cloud and and Ruined Kingdoms as well, especially the latter, I'm sure they would have worked just fine if they were the size and content of the Lost Kingdom.
I still liked how they had extra Moons, in the post-game.

Would have definitely loved more bosses, they are always welcomed, but I was fine with the ones we got: especially Midir, I mean, the Lord of Lightning; will never get over how awesome his reveal was.
Would have liked another proper Bowser fight, and would have also liked a bit more diversity with his battles in general; the one unlocked after you obtain 800+ Moons isn't all that difficult compared to the other two, could have been a tad more complex.

Speaking of Bowser and captures, I felt like there were enough unique ones in the game, and they were all fun for what they had to offer: not gonna lie, though, I wanted to do soooo much more with his one.
Despite what a lot of people say, I loved the escape from the Moon, but that's exactly why I wanted it to last longer or at least unlock a more free Bowser capture to use in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thinking about it, wouldn't have made more sense if you had to control Bowser in order to unlock the various Moon Rocks scattered on the world?
Never understood why Mario can suddendly interact with them after completing the story.

The overall style of the game is also not my cup of tea: I understand the diversity, and like what there is, but absolutely prefer a more cartoonish look like the 3DS 2,5D games' or Galaxy's.

But other than that... Man, I had an incredible blast playing it.

I could list all the things I liked and loved, but it would take waaaay too much time.
I'll just name a few: each world felt so unique and inspired that I can hardly believe they happened.
Like, seriously: Luncheon Kingdom is one of the best ideas I've seen in videogames, with his vibrant colors, the catchy music, the brilliant sound design, the liquids' physics...
I have never wanted to visit an already 100% completed level, until now.

The movement options make the entire experience even better, by making each Kingdom feel even more open and explorable than it already is.
And the best part is that I discovered most of them by myself, and it's was just so satisfying!

Plus al the little details, references, and touches Nintendo (and particularly the Mario developers) always put in their work.
They truly make the difference.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#5 Posted: 19:16:14 09/11/2017
(Ok, so I'm not very far in and maybe I've entered a spoiler-y discussion, but...)

I'm currently in the Sand Kingdom, and I have to say this is my favourite Mario game! Admittedly I haven't played many Mario games to begin with - SM64 DS, New Super Mario Bros. DS, a bit of 3D world on the Wii U - but still, it's the first time I've been so excited for this series.

Anyway...

Moons - Pretty good so far, but I'd like to know how many I can get on my first visit to a kingdom without having to look it up on the internet. I spent ages running around the Cascade kingdom, thinking: "How am I missing so many moons?!" They remind me of gems in the original Spyro games - some are ridiculously obvious and some are very sneaky.

I can't really comment on much else yet, other than how much I love Cappy and that the bosses have been pretty 'meh' so far. But I never know what I want from a boss fight - do I even like them at all?
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#6 Posted: 19:20:07 09/11/2017
Breath of the Wild also got many complaints after its release. It just happens that some people might dislike games that everyone likes (also happened with Persona 5, Nier: Automata, Horizon, Sonic Mania, it goes on), while other people might like stuff that most people don't (believe me a lot of people genuinely like Sonic 06), just a matter of taste really.
---
Bruh
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#7 Posted: 20:18:50 09/11/2017
Quote: yelvy
(Ok, so I'm not very far in and maybe I've entered a spoiler-y discussion, but...)

I'm currently in the Sand Kingdom, and I have to say this is my favourite Mario game! Admittedly I haven't played many Mario games to begin with - SM64 DS, New Super Mario Bros. DS, a bit of 3D world on the Wii U - but still, it's the first time I've been so excited for this series.

Anyway...

Moons - Pretty good so far, but I'd like to know how many I can get on my first visit to a kingdom without having to look it up on the internet. I spent ages running around the Cascade kingdom, thinking: "How am I missing so many moons?!" They remind me of gems in the original Spyro games - some are ridiculously obvious and some are very sneaky.

I can't really comment on much else yet, other than how much I love Cappy and that the bosses have been pretty 'meh' so far. But I never know what I want from a boss fight - do I even like them at all?

the moons are somewhat easy to find, you just gotta find a way to get to them.

the postgame is when the moons get hard to find tho
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me