Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > My question on game reboots.
Page 1 of 1
My question on game reboots.
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#1 Posted: 14:24:43 05/11/2017 | Topic Creator
How is it that Devil May Cry got rebooted after only 4 games between 2001 to 2008 while the Resident Evil continuity from 1996 is still going with over 10 main games? And that's not even considering RE's canonical spin-off games and CGI movies. Same thing with Assassin's Creed, which managed to have nearly 20 games and how you need to play nearly all of them to keep up with the continuity.

Shouldn't Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed be rebooted by now? Even more Mortal Kombat got a reboot when the original continuity from 1992 became impenetrable.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#2 Posted: 17:02:52 05/11/2017 | Topic Creator
Somehow Capcom lost faith in having Dante stand out from all the generic male protagonists in other games, so they made Dante into a generic protagonist. Even if you like the Dante in DmC, you gotta admit he's too much like Nathan Drake. The DMC series' most recurring element is Dante being a demonslayer with a business as well as being son of Sparda and having a brother named Vergil, which is all much lighter than everything to do with Umbrella and Wesker. Kingdom Hearts is another great offender by being as convoluted as AssCreed if not worse.

From what I remember, not many people like the ongoing stories in Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed (The film based on the latter was especially bad since it was two-thirds of the entire film). Resident Evil 4 and 7 traded stories about Umbrella, Wesker and plaga for self-contained stories with memorable characters while every AssCreed after III downplayed the modern day plots.

If something lasts a long time, it will lose steam.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#3 Posted: 17:22:06 05/11/2017
Well Assassin's Creed kind of got a reboot with Origins.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#4 Posted: 13:55:26 09/11/2017 | Topic Creator
For Zelda's case, most of the games are far apart from each other, they would be treated like myths and legends when you look at how both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess look back towards Ocarina of Time.

I know Origins is the first in the timeline and that's great but what about the modern day plot? That would continue on. IV takes place before III in the past but IV takes place after III in the modern day.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#5 Posted: 01:22:00 10/11/2017
Quote: StevemacQ
How is it that Devil May Cry got rebooted after only 4 games between 2001 to 2008 while the Resident Evil continuity from 1996 is still going with over 10 main games? And that's not even considering RE's canonical spin-off games and CGI movies. Same thing with Assassin's Creed, which managed to have nearly 20 games and how you need to play nearly all of them to keep up with the continuity.

Shouldn't Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed be rebooted by now? Even more Mortal Kombat got a reboot when the original continuity from 1992 became impenetrable.

They must have thought that people were getting bored with Devil May Cry so they thought a re-boot might help it to appeal to a new audience.
---
^ You all know it's true
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me