Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > I remember the days before Spyro
Page 1 of 1
I remember the days before Spyro [CLOSED]
Gondana Blue Sparx Gems: 927
#1 Posted: 04:34:41 14/02/2009 | Topic Creator
Before the days of Spyro the Dragon, the most violent game a child could get there hands on was 1992 Olympics Pro. Games where more subtle and got votes through skill and gameplay rather than how good the graphics where, how good explosions/blood was. A world where games didn't need ratings because there was a mutual respect between developers...

THEN SPYRO CAME CRASHING INTO THE MEDIA INDUSTRY, AND WHEN THE ADVERTISEMENTS CAME ON MOTHERS WOULD HAVE A FIT AT THE LEVEL OF VIOLENCE SHOWN AS A CRUAL PURPLE DRAGON RIPPED THROUGH HOARDS OF POOR-HELPLESS SHEEP!!!

Needless to say the media had a setiur and was determined to erase the game from memory, however as sales skyrocketed, they withdrew the order. Spyro had broken a boundary, when they realized that violence was what made a game, many developers followed suit, Violence in children's games was born.

Edit: Spyro wasn't the 1st blood feast but it was definitely violent for a children's game.
---
Who ever said its better to haved loved then lost, than never to have loved at all was a lier and should be shot.
I'll be back. (Will return in 2011)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:07:08 18/02/2009 by Gondana
bmah Platinum Sparx Gems: 5561
#2 Posted: 05:46:23 14/02/2009
Are you saying that you remembered the day you were born? (i.e. were you born in 1992)

P.S. action game was born with Mario. Also, isn't stepping on someone's head unethical?! *goomba squish*
---
I now have a deviantART account! Check me out at http://bmah.deviantart.com/
Post a comment if you can. Thanks everyone!
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#3 Posted: 06:10:35 14/02/2009
...How is that relevant to Spyro?
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#4 Posted: 07:34:19 14/02/2009
Yeah and how did Doom and quake survive?
BlackDragonAJ89 Green Sparx Gems: 480
#5 Posted: 07:41:22 14/02/2009
Nope, there were games far more violent than that...

Prior to the great game crash was a game called Death Race, which although incredibly simplistic in graphics was considered a very violent game (considering you ran over stick figures, but hey, this is the late 70s/ early 80s)

Then came stuff like Metal Gear, Duck Hunt, the Legend of Zelda; all of which were rather crappy visuals had triggered a storm of controversy. Yes, I can remember how that was possible, that light ray gun for duck hunt did stir problems...

Of course, anything in the 90s that was causing the big ruckus was either Doom or Pokemon, with everything else just being in slew of the typical two-bit game developer trying to make a fast buck on everyone with sleazy business practices and massive surge in media use (hey, dial up was top of the line back in '95, TV was still the best way to get people's attention, and we all know that those goopy covered cereals of food companies had lots of young customers to be reached). Spyro was just another "attitude the whatever" in a competition to be the loudest, most brain rotting, and money making machine in a era were gaming no longer was art but was BIG business.

Of course, the 90s crap era destroyed the greatest gem of all games; the Arcade. Gone are the days in which you could brag about a high score on Pac Man for all to see or the days where you didn't care who you played in a raging battle of street fighter with. Nope, thanks to all that 90s BS, we lost the true greatness and awesomeness for a bunch of characters with the personalities of a brick that are only good for being on billboards and TV ads for really soulless games.

But then came the new decade, a new millennium, but what did that bring unfortunately? Loads of violent shooters and the growth of GTA, and the crap era games now struggling because of the new mature audience and the fact that people are fighting back against the rather corrupt industry in hopes to actually take back the games. However, the arcade is nothing more than just a memory that's very dissappointing; what happened to those REAL golden ages of the time between 1983 and 1993?

I want my arcade back, NOW!
---
"Never argue with a fool; some people can't tell the difference."smilie
Visit my DA pagesmilie
DARK CINDER Ripto Gems: 1062
#6 Posted: 08:47:52 14/02/2009
sooo spyro burnt sdhhep cazed the masking of killzone 2....nnnnaahhh
Cloudtail4ever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1818
#7 Posted: 16:16:31 14/02/2009
Quote: Gondana
Before the days of Spyro the Dragon, the most violent game a child could get there hands on was 1992 Olympics Pro.

Not really...for one, Spyro really isn't all that violent, you don't do as much fighting there as you would in other games, now and around that time.
---
"Man, if mom could see me now... We'd have zombies on top of everything else."
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#8 Posted: 16:45:27 14/02/2009
Quote: Gondana
Before the days of Spyro the Dragon, the most violent game a child could get there hands on was 1992 Olympics Pro. Games where more subtle and got votes through skill and gameplay rather than how good the graphics where, how good explosions/blood was. A world where games didn't need ratings because there was a mutual respect between developers...

Do the words MORTAL KOMBAT or FATALITY mean NOTHING to you? What about Battletoads or Contra for the NES? Spyro didn't set the standard for action games... Spyro was just another decent platformer to add to the list, filled with primarily Mario games. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#9 Posted: 16:48:49 14/02/2009
Spyro is NOT violent! There was no blood or visible injuries and the enemies dissappeared in a puff of smoke after one hit!
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#10 Posted: 18:23:36 14/02/2009
There are some people who do not seem to remember some of the very hostile arcade games that were made before this game was made...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Eragon25 Gold Sparx Gems: 2019
#11 Posted: 21:23:16 14/02/2009
the Spyro wasnt that violentsmilieare you crazy or something?smilie
#12 Posted: 00:34:54 15/02/2009
Oh, yeah don't forget METAL GEAR SOLID for Sony Playstation...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#13 Posted: 08:09:07 15/02/2009
Yeah guess what GOW kicks their arse.
#14 Posted: 09:58:34 15/02/2009
this topics right because when you burn the sheep theres blood allover and the people swere like theres no tomorro
#15 Posted: 18:54:41 15/02/2009
What blood? I don't think you burnt sheep in MGS...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#16 Posted: 19:16:12 15/02/2009
im been sarcastic smilie lol
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me