Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > This guy wants to tell you to forget caring about the original Spyro series
Page 1 of 1
This guy wants to tell you to forget caring about the original Spyro series
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#1 Posted: 22:11:16 12/08/2017 | Topic Creator
because it's flawed and only works for nostalgic reasons.

Crash sold so well, but it's still an ass backwards novelty if anything to think Original Spyro Trilogy should make a comeback.
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 00:47:46 13/08/2017 by Bryman04
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#2 Posted: 22:23:25 12/08/2017
It's like arguing Yooka Laylee failed because the genre is truly ba.d
No. The nostalgia goggles are on tight and some people think their memories are attacked if anything is done with Spyro, but the games themselves can work in a new generation. They haven't aged horribly like others from their time, that's for sure.

Iirc, can't watch this video right now, but does it also argue that Skylanders somehow prevents it? Because that's bull, the games can coexist, in fact, it'd be big bucks for Acti to make Classic Spyro variants if the Crash figures are any indication.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#3 Posted: 22:31:37 12/08/2017
Quote: Bifrost
Iirc, can't watch this video right now, but does it also argue that Skylanders somehow prevents it? Because that's bull, the games can coexist, in fact, it'd be big bucks for Acti to make Classic Spyro variants if the Crash figures are any indication.

Totally not because Skylanders is Satan's work that is raping Spyro and should be burned then froze with holy water from the people who totally don't need money to survive.
---
Bruh
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#4 Posted: 23:10:41 12/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Oooops I came back and see there's an error in the title because of length something got cut off- my title is supposed to be

This guy wants to tell you to forget carrying about the original Spyro series being remastered

Quote: Bifrost

Your exactly right and that's one of his "strongest arguments" (the air quotation marks are strong with this one)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:18:19 12/08/2017 by Bryman04
#5 Posted: 23:21:27 12/08/2017
Well, he doesn't have to leave either. Maybe explain that Spyro got a distress call from his homeworld and now bam, he can use his Magic to travel back in time to when Gnasty first started trouble, or he recovered the records of the Ancients of his predecessors in Dragon World if they don't want him to be the same person. There's no reason to not coexist aside from people who can't handle the sheer existence of Skylanders.
---
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#6 Posted: 01:44:55 13/08/2017
"Spyro won't work today because I don't like it"-Some Idiot
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#7 Posted: 02:48:36 14/08/2017
Stuff like Mario Odyssey (going back to the SM64 format), YL, and indie titles like Hat In Time are a pretty clear sign that 3D platformers are not a dead genre that nobody cares about anymore.
And Spyro isn't so antiqued that it would take significant redesigning to bring it into today. You'd just need to give 1 analog support and add trophies.
---
#all Spyros are valid
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#8 Posted: 14:40:40 15/08/2017
I'm not watching the video because it's probably cringe-worthy and I know I can take your word for it.

I'm worried that the design and mechanics in the Spyro games may not have aged well and a future developer for a possible remaster will just copy the mechanics without modernising the controls. I don't want Spyro to play exactly like it's 1998 to 2000. Even before Yooka-Laylee came out, I thought long and hard about the technical aspects and jokes in the Spyro games without nostalgia goggles like how references to The Matrix in Spryo 3 not being funny at all, especially in this decade.

But despite my worries, I still believe in Spyro can be revived into greatness again if handled with care.

Like I said, I haven't watched the video but I imagine this douchebag spewing what Bobby Kotick wants to hear, what he and other corporate suits in Activision were saying behind closed doors; Platformers don't sell. Children only want Call of Duty. Capcom though the same thing about the survival horror genre and tried to turn Resident Evil into an action genre and RE6 was a financial failure and the came RE7, which went back its roots and was successful. Same with how Square-Enix surprised how people still craved the JRPG genre when Bravely Default sold like hot cakes. This now applies to Crash Bandicoot and possibly the platformer genre outside Mario and Sonic.

Quote:
There is no perfect pasta sauce. There are perfect pasta sauces. - Howard Moskowitz.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#9 Posted: 04:52:21 23/08/2017
I respect his opinion that the game play is flawed, but he didn't bother to explain why he thinks it's flawed, or why it won't work in a new generation.
Yes Skylanders sold well, but so did the Classics in their time. He even mentioned how Skylanders isn't selling that well anymore. It may again in the future but for now there's too much sequel fatigue, the games are hugely expensive for parents to keep buying them and all the toys every year, and the kids who were way into it are growing up and changing interests anyway.

Not to mention that coming up with a new gimmick every year that can have a marketable line of toys worked into it would be challenging for anyone. Speaking of gimmicks, any gamer prefers fun game play over a one off cash grab special anyway. The different character types weren't even that well implemented either in some games. A lot of the time they're just magic keys to open gates.

I only played up to Swap Force, and I saw nothing more unique to the different types than a brief mini game or being able to gain a collectible. I would like to play the other games, but therein lies another problem: No Skylanders direct, nowhere to buy figures for previous games t a non gouging price. Once a game has past its year long selling window, they toys all vanish and sometime you can't get what you need/want in that period. Even the starter packs get scarce.

Also why would they need the original geometry? Even if it makes the process easier, they'd still have to rebuild everything from the ground up anyway like they did with Crash. I know nothing of game development, so maybe I'm wrong on that. Am I?
#10 Posted: 11:42:34 23/08/2017
Unless it was a hack job of replacing assets, which is a bad idea for a 20 year old game, yeah you'd have to replace the geometry as long as the level design is preserved.
---
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#11 Posted: 13:36:47 23/08/2017
I thought so.
Riser Yellow Sparx Gems: 1339
#12 Posted: 10:13:22 25/08/2017
What is going on this thread? Ever hear of giving things a chance? Besides, the spyro ps1 games are still fun to play to date. Are you going to call out Nintendo fans for their nostalgia next?
---
This is survival of the fittest~
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#13 Posted: 10:31:57 25/08/2017
Quote: Riser
What is going on this thread? Ever hear of giving things a chance? Besides, the spyro ps1 games are still fun to play to date. Are you going to call out Nintendo fans for their nostalgia next?

Yep, I think the old PS1 Spyro games hold up pretty well, especially 2 and 3 because of how good the controls are, and I'm surprised to see that how well Spyro controls underwater, most video games don't really handle this aspect very well.

Like I've always been thinking, if levels from Crash can be remade and enjoyable, and levels from the first Ratchet game can be done again, then why can't Spyro?
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#14 Posted: 11:13:29 25/08/2017
I don't know how big the Classic Spyro fandom is compared to Crash's, it's indeed very vocal, but I personally still find all the first three games highly ejoyable.

Otherwise I wouldn't replay them every two years or so.

After the huge success of N.Sane Trilogy I have absolutely no doubt Spyro will follow the same destiny, not to mention it's not like subtle and more ovious hints haven't been dropped over the course of the last few years.
The only questions for me are when the remakes will be revealed and who will develope them.

Haven't watched the video and don't want to, because I fear it might be even more facepalm-worthy than Haedox's when Crash became a Skylander.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me