Forum

Poll

Favourite CTR:NF Spyro skin?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > The Official All-Purpose Crash Bandicoot Topic
First | Previous | Page 21 of 21
1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
The Official All-Purpose Crash Bandicoot Topic
Muffin Man Emerald Sparx Gems: 3649
#1001 Posted: 15:42:28 26/06/2020
So with Toys for Bob back in the platformer business, I've gotta ask, how many of you guys have played any of Toys for Bob's previous platformers? They've made four so far (not counting the Spyro trilogy remake), with three of them being licensed games:

The only one I ever played was Pandemonium, which was pretty good for its time, but I think the Madagascar games would be the best indicator of how a modern 3D platformer from Toys for Bob might feel. How good were they, I wonder?
---
whoever reads this shall succumb to the ways of the Muffin
HeyitsHotDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 5645
#1002 Posted: 16:45:22 26/06/2020
The Madagascar games were actually super good and I played both 1 and 2 a ton as a kid.
---
When ever you get scared or nervous about something, you gotta do your best to keep on smiling and Go Beyond Plus Ultra!
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6431
#1003 Posted: 17:14:22 26/06/2020
The only one I remember playing was the first Madagascar game, which I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid. (Kinda wish that I still had it, ngl)

- - -

Oh ****. : o
---
A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:06:10 26/06/2020 by Sesshomaru75
willspyro Platinum Sparx Gems: 5370
#1004 Posted: 23:16:01 26/06/2020
WOAHH
---
I am green and I am retired
ThunderEgg Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#1005 Posted: 01:15:24 27/06/2020
the pessimist in me says perhaps they're all incredibly short...
---
I AM ETERNAL!
#1006 Posted: 01:26:30 27/06/2020
Quote: ThunderEgg
the pessimist in me says perhaps they're all incredibly short...

They don't appear to be, and it's not like the levels were all that long to begin with either.
---
#1007 Posted: 02:14:04 27/06/2020
All I ask is less redundancy in level environment themes.
---
When ever you get scared or nervous about something, you gotta do your best to keep on smiling and Go Beyond Plus Ultra!
#1008 Posted: 03:40:53 27/06/2020
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
All I ask is less redundancy in level environment themes.

That would be nice, yeah.
---
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 6198
#1009 Posted: 03:38:08 28/06/2020
[User Posted Image]

Crash 4 ESRB rating description. LET CRASH/COCO/CORTEX SAY BASTARD.
---
'I really like this jacket but the sleeves are much too long"
Motörhead - Back On the Funny Farm - Another Perfect Day (1983)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:40:30 28/06/2020 by JCW555
willspyro Platinum Sparx Gems: 5370
#1010 Posted: 03:51:56 28/06/2020

That honestly gives me this energy.
---
I am green and I am retired
#1011 Posted: 00:07:47 29/06/2020
It's About Time is apparently going to have in-app purchases (To no one's surprise, unfortunately) according to the listing for the game in the Microsoft Store.

I imagine that it'll just be skins/cosmetic items that you'll more than likely still be able to unlock via normal gameplay like how you could in Nitro-Fueled.
(Those rewards for getting a certain amount of Wumpa Fruit by the end of each level is probably how you'll unlock them without paying real money, and I could also see level challenges be included akin to how Skylanders did)

At least it seems like they'll be upfront about it this time rather than lying and adding them in later, I guess? *shrug*
(Although I'm admittedly more annoyed this time that they're doing this than I was with Nitro-Fueled, given that this is primarily a single-player game)
---
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 21:47:24 30/06/2020 by Sesshomaru75
#1012 Posted: 10:04:12 29/06/2020
An Amazon listing for The Art of Crash 4 has been posted!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
---
#1013 Posted: 19:21:40 29/06/2020

- - -

So apparently It's About Time won't have microtransactions as previously theorized according to developer Toys For Bob.
Evidently the skins that you get for purchasing the game digitally still qualify as "in-app purchases" to Microsoft and Microsoft only.

This is similar to how games like The Witcher III: Wild Hunt are labeled as having in-app purchases despite not having microtransactions at all to my understanding.
(However, the game does have DLC which still qualifies as in-app purchases on the Microsoft Store)

That said, while they've clarified that there won't be microtransactions, I'd still take it with a grain a salt since this is Activision that we're talking about.
And Activision has a particularly nasty habit of adding in microtransactions to games after launch and after critic reviews for their games have been received, much like they did with Nitro-Fueled.
(Even if they admittedly did say that there wouldn't be any at launch specifically, and it does make a lot less sense for them to add microtransactions to It's About Time compared to Nitro-Fueled anyways)
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 21:54:46 30/06/2020 by Sesshomaru75
BroGuy Blue Sparx Gems: 838
#1014 Posted: 01:57:58 10/07/2020

#1015 Posted: 22:26:17 20/07/2020
Gonna vent here for a moment because this has been on my mind for a bit and is reminding me of what happened with Reignited way too much:

It's fine to not like It's About Time's redesigns of existing characters, or to prefer the N. Sane Trilogy/Nitro-Fueled designs for them.

That said, I'm getting increasingly annoyed and frustrated with the amount of people I keep seeing on places like Twitter acting like they're entitled to something "better" because they personally don't like it.
(When the majority of people either do like it, or don't feel too strongly on the matter either which way)

There is a lot of people who don't like it, but it's not as significant as these people continue to make it out to be compared to the people who do like it.
They aren't going to change it for the minority, stop acting like you're owed change or that the series is "ruined" because you don't like it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:35:59 20/07/2020 by Sesshomaru75
#1016 Posted: 20:34:36 24/07/2020
A new press demo was given out to select people today, so below is some footage of the levels included in said demo.

Dino Dash:

Snow Way Out: (Crash/Coco's Path)

Snow Way Out: (Cortex's Path)

In the below spoiler I'll be sharing some observations I've made from what we've seen in the above gameplay videos:
Lani-Loli:
We finally get to see how Lani-Loli functions in-game and what his powers are. (For those who don't know/remember, he's the blue Quantum Mask that we've seen in a few cutscenes within the game's initial reveal trailer)
Some intangible objects will have a transparent blue outline due to supposedly being in another reality or "phase", requiring you to use Lani-Loli to shift things in and out of said phase to allow for you to either break or avoid these objects.

This becomes noticeably more effective (And challenging) when grinding on rails, as you're required to use his powers to avoid obstacles on the rails by making them "phase out" in addition to making crates "phase in" so that they can be broken.
(This will make it especially more difficult for those seeking to 100% the levels that require you to do this)

- - -

Crates & Wumpa:
There are also intangible crates with a red outline that are similar to crates in past games that required you to hit designated ! crates in order to make them solid, the only difference here being that these ones are timed rather than remaining solid.
(You have to slow down time due to the timers these crates possess, though I'd imagine that the regular crates you'd have to solidify the same way in past games will still be in this one in some capacity)

As expected, crates that would normally have Golden Wumpa in them while playing in Modern Mode are life crates instead in Retro Mode. (Though they thankfully still include the Golden Wumpa all the same)
In addition to this, it appears that collecting all of the wumpa (Or at least a certain amount) is required for something due to the number in the top-left of the HUD. (Likely the end-level rewards that were brought up in the past, possibly skins/costumes)

- - -

HUD & Gems:
In the top-right of the HUD, we see an icon for whichever character you're currently playing as (Crash, Coco, Cortex, etc.) + the amount of lives you currently have left. (Though the latter is only present while playing in Retro Mode, obviously)

Beneath that we see a skull icon presumably with either how many times you've died on the level or how many times you're allowed to die.
This is seen across both modes/difficulties, as it is tied to getting an additional gem at the end of the level. (As the main one you'd get at the end of each level is for breaking all of the crates)

Speaking of gems, multiple hidden gems appear across all three videos. It's unclear if some levels have more than one, though they admittedly don't seem that hard to find or get to.
(Though I imagine that there might be ones that are harder to find/get to in some levels, especially depending on how many gems are in the game overall)

- - -

Mechanics & Changes + Cortex Levels:
There is an icon displayed on the ground beneath each character while they're in the air that gives you a better idea of where you're going to land when you fall, which can be quite helpful I'd imagine. (Not sure if one can turn this off, though)

Double jumping, as CGE said, works in two different ways. If you're still holding the movement stick forward while double jumping Crash keeps his momentum, whereas letting go essentially resets his forward momentum.
(Which is probably quite useful for some scenarios, maybe less so for others; it certainly gives you a little bit more time to readjust your jump mid-air, which is nice)

Slide-jumping seems to have been nerfed a bit, as Crash doesn't seem to slide as long as he used to for whatever reason.
Besides that, CGE says that one should not completely throw out any leftover muscle memory they have from N. Sane, but at the same time should be prepared for some major differences beyond even just the above.

Crash is supposedly faster, hitboxes on enemies and platforms are more precise meaning that jumps you think you're going to make are much more likely to do so than they would in N. Sane.
Whereas jumps you don't think you're going to make likely will kill you, rather than being able to cheese them sometimes like you could do at times in N. Sane.

Cortex's levels seem to be rather hard, as they're more puzzle-oriented in a way and because Cortex plays quite differently compared to Crash and Coco.
For example, as we already know, Cortex has a forward dash rather than a double jump.
While he does have a window of recovery in case one accidentally undershoots/overshoots a platform, it is much more brief than trying to recover from a jump as Crash or Coco.

Cortex's levels also seem to eventually switch over to a remixed/harder version of the main level where you play as Crash/Coco, which is rather interesting to say the least.

- - -

Cool Aesthetic Details & References:
Aku Aku now spins around Crash to more actively protect him, akin to how he does when used as an item in the racing games. This makes more sense given that he takes damage for Crash while he's around, similar to a force field or shield.
(Though I imagine some people might not like this, so hopefully there's an option to just have him follow you like he did in the older games)

When Cortex dies, he turns into a demon rather than an angel like Crash and Coco would; He's red, and has the wings, horns, and more to boot.
(Although he still ascends rather than descends, probably because it'd look weird if he were to clip through the ground smilie)

Another cool Cortex-related thing I've noticed is that his theme from the original games can be heard at times in the music for his level.
(I'd assume that this carries over to other levels where you play as him as well)
---
Edited 22 times - Last edited at 22:05:38 26/07/2020 by Sesshomaru75
Muffin Man Emerald Sparx Gems: 3649
#1017 Posted: 13:56:41 27/07/2020
This game looks beautiful.
---
whoever reads this shall succumb to the ways of the Muffin
#1018 Posted: 19:24:16 27/07/2020
Apparently you can switch between Crash and Coco within levels rather than outside of them like you had to do in N. Sane? Not sure if this is true, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

In addition to the above, people who got to play the press demo have stated that the pause menu in each level specifies what dimension they take place in: (Putting this in a spoiler just in case)
Dino Dash takes place in the Eggipus Dimension. (A reference to the secret level Eggipus Rex from Warped where you ride on Baby T in a 2D side-scrolling fashion)
Snow Way Out takes place in the 11th Dimension. (Likely a reference to the 10th dimension from TwinSanity where the Evil Twins' citadel and Evil Crash reside)

- - -

Quote: Muffin Man
This game looks beautiful.

God, it really does. I especially love the various color palettes that they went with for some of the levels we've seen. (Dino Dash's palette is fantastic, and makes it stand out from the prehistoric levels in Warped)
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:35:01 27/07/2020 by Sesshomaru75
#1019 Posted: 19:42:12 27/07/2020
TfB's skill when it comes to cartoony graphics and bringing Nicholas' art to life is absolutely mindblowing. This game is downright gorgeous

Honestly, this game looks incredibly promising, not just from a graphical standpoint point, but from a gameplay one as well. Its feels like a true modernization of the series, on top of being a celebration of it.

Deeply hoping Spyro gets this treatment when his time comes.
---
#1020 Posted: 19:48:12 27/07/2020
Honestly, while I still love N. Sane, I think this game is going to make it quite hard to go back to it. smilie (60 FPS and more precise hitboxes alone are enough to make me feel this way lol)

And I'm hoping that Spyro will get this same treatment as well, though I have no doubt that he'll be in good hands when it comes to whoever is developing his next game.
(I'm leaning towards Beenox since they're seemingly done with Nitro-Fueled and lending TFB development support, but don't appear to be doing anything of their own quite yet)
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:15:49 27/07/2020 by Sesshomaru75
#1021 Posted: 20:07:54 06/08/2020

HOLY ****
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:13:14 06/08/2020 by Sesshomaru75
#1022 Posted: 20:18:53 06/08/2020
IT LOOKS AMAZIIIIIIIIING

TFB IS ****ING FLEXING, BRO! ****ING FLEXING
---
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10590
#1023 Posted: 21:33:03 06/08/2020
Wow...
Does that mean Dingodile is finally getting his much deserved redemption arc?
---
#SobbleSquad
Halvmorke Gold Sparx Gems: 2288
#1024 Posted: 11:00:37 07/08/2020
What about playable Tiny? Why so much Dingodile fanbase? Buuuh!
---
Elite: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Senseis: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#1025 Posted: 18:05:28 07/08/2020
Quote: Halvmorke
What about playable Tiny? Why so much Dingodile fanbase? Buuuh!

Because Dingodile's great, that's why. smilie (I do really want Tiny to be playable too, though)
---
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 6198
#1026 Posted: 20:05:29 07/08/2020
Some things I noticed from the new gameplay:

- There's no jump/enemy reticule anymore. I wonder if it's an option you can turn on/off, or TFB decided to get rid of it (I assume the former).

- Lab assistants are back! Wonder what other classic enemies are in Crash 4.

- The N. Verted gameplay is a great way to extend this games' lifespan.

- Dingodile(!) do the big SUCC.

- That industrial looking level looks sick.

One negative that I didn't see addressed in the trailer was if the slide-jump is fixed. More of a nitpick, but Aku-Aku is still circling around as opposed to being worn like a mask.

Overall, Crash 4 is looking like it may be the best Crash game since 2/3.
---
'I really like this jacket but the sleeves are much too long"
Motörhead - Back On the Funny Farm - Another Perfect Day (1983)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:13:51 07/08/2020 by JCW555
#1027 Posted: 20:15:04 07/08/2020
Yeah, I'm hoping that the jump/enemy reticle thing and the Aku Aku thing are options that you can toggle on and off in the final game. Hoping that they will fix the slide-jump as well.
---
First | Previous | Page 21 of 21
1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me