Forum

Skylanders: Battlecast

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Mobile > Skylanders: Battlecast > Which cost of cards do you thing that it is inexpensive cards?
Page 1 of 1
Which cost of cards do you thing that it is inexpensive cards?
Rexxar Green Sparx Gems: 149
#1 Posted: 07:58:54 08/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Which cost of cards do you thing that it is inexpensive cards?
For me,I think that cards cost 5 or lower are inexpensive cards.
Who can suggest me about this?
P.S. Sorry for bad English.
lamoracke Yellow Sparx Gems: 1635
#2 Posted: 14:05:43 08/06/2016
You are asking which cards are say the best value to cast given their crystal cost?

I mean, some cards to me are not worth it for over 5 (Ice Storm), but some under 5 are also not worth it (Thorncaster, 4, Stink or Swim, 4)

Some cards less than 4 are awesome (Grape Shot, 3rd Degree Burn, Cursed Choker) and some over 5 are worth their cost too (Sap of the Ancients, Reflective Ray).

So not sure I understand the question.

I like to level up all the cards regardless of their value. Course once I have a card I do not like that much leveled to 20, I pretty much won't intentionally play it again.
#3 Posted: 05:33:16 09/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: lamoracke
You are asking which cards are say the best value to cast given their crystal cost?

I mean, some cards to me are not worth it for over 5 (Ice Storm), but some under 5 are also not worth it (Thorncaster, 4, Stink or Swim, 4)

Some cards less than 4 are awesome (Grape Shot, 3rd Degree Burn, Cursed Choker) and some over 5 are worth their cost too (Sap of the Ancients, Reflective Ray).

So not sure I understand the question.

I like to level up all the cards regardless of their value. Course once I have a card I do not like that much leveled to 20, I pretty much won't intentionally play it again.

Umm,I mean that what the cost of inexpensive cards. I don't know that is 5 or lower because I have to face with Dreamcatcher in Kaos Realm again.
JJAtelier Blue Sparx Gems: 727
#4 Posted: 07:31:49 09/06/2016
The best way to categorize the expensiveness or inexpensiveness is to call the cards on a "mana/crystal curve"

In this case, similar Hearthstone, their cards power curve are usually based on 3 stages.

Early Game - Cards costing between (1-3 mana)
Mid Game - Cards costing between 4-6 mana
Late Game - Cards costing 6 mana and above.

With Battlecast I think there are exceptions to this rule. A card such as Spyro's Dragon Dive is a very good card on 3 crystals in the early game but its still highly effective late game because of its utility to reduce a skylanders attack power by 80. By the time players reach the late stages of the game, chances are there are only 1 skylander on each side standing.

In fact I'd probably say Dragon Dive is objectively better late game because the counter play is too obvious in the early stages.

If you're going to beat Dreamcatcher/Painyatta in the Kaos Realm then you must have "The Tempest" in your deck. Because even if you load your deck with cheap cost cards, there's a good chance you may not even be able to play all of them in time and the impact of those cards will be pretty null. Tempest will allow you mitigate their symmetrical draw mechanic while allowing you to deal massive damage to them.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 07:37:13 09/06/2016 by JJAtelier
lamoracke Yellow Sparx Gems: 1635
#5 Posted: 13:46:43 09/06/2016
There are also some cards which have low cost but have value waiting to cast later.

Tree Party. It only costs one but to cast it at one would be a waste. At the minimum, one casts it with Tree Rex at 3 and then you use it with his basic heal of adding 20 max health so all 3 characters get that. However, do that card with pump it up, or healing rain or waterfall or dare I say it, wait for 10 crystals and back to your roots?

Static Pulse by Flashwing. 1 crystal, but if you do it at 7 crystals, you also get 60 damage.

Crystalline Crust by Flashwing. 2 crystals but if you wait until 7 crystals, you also get +50 power

Those are the main ones but there are many cards in the game where its more beneficial to wait (Collective Strength, Pump It up, Power Pummel, Rock Roll'd) until you can utilize it for even more power.
stealth Yellow Sparx Gems: 1040
#6 Posted: 18:09:50 09/06/2016
I think I understand your question. I consider cards 4 or lower to be inexpensive, and I often try to have a majority of powerful 4 and lower cards in my deck.
DarkElement Green Sparx Gems: 250
#7 Posted: 14:06:09 12/06/2016
As an old Magic the Gathering player, I would suggest you don't think of cards as expensive or inexpensive. You need to evaluate whether a card is efficient for it's cost. For example if you have a card that does 20 damage for 1 crystal and another card doing the same 20 damage for 2 crystals, which card is inexpensive? If you go with a single threshold like "any card less than 5 is inexpensive" you miss a great deal of evaluating card strengths based on efficiency. The card doing 20 damage for 1 crystal is more efficient at what it does over a different card doing 20 damage for 2 crystals.

Even though the cards in this game are simpler to evaluate than Magic cards, it's still important to measure the strength of a card based on efficiency. A question I always ask is whether I would be happy to draw a particular card at any point in the game. You need to be careful about including situational cards even if the card is efficient. In most games, you will draw about half of your deck of cards. You might not want to base your entire strategy on a combo you might only see 50% of the time in any given game.

There are other things to consider beyond cost. You will also want to look at tempo. One of the most important parts of the game is to get at least 1 Skylander to Rank 3 no later than then turn 3. A card like "Bonk" is deceptive when initially evaluated. 10 damage is rarely going to be a game winner. What makes this card a true gem is the cost of 0 crystals. This card is an excellent tempo card. Assume you have an opening draw of a spell with cost of one and Bonk. This allows you to accelerate a Skylander to Rank 2 on their first turn. If your Skylander has a low cost ability, like Hex, you have really put your opponent at a disadvantage.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:08:13 12/06/2016 by DarkElement
JJAtelier Blue Sparx Gems: 727
#8 Posted: 03:35:32 13/06/2016
@darkelement

That's a lovely point on card efficiency! I'm not too sure how important tempo is in Battlecast because while having a character reach rank 3 first definitely puts you in a strong position, a card such as Anvilite is a mixed bag for me. Same thing can be said for Juice Box. Yes I can liberally cast it if its in my opening hand but these cards are possibly one of the worst cards to get when topdecking. Since there's no mulligan system, the risk of drawing these cards at any point later in the game may put the player behind if you really need to put on the pressure.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:37:09 13/06/2016 by JJAtelier
#9 Posted: 22:27:58 13/06/2016
You have a point of when you are at 5-6 energy, Juice Box is not the best top deck. However, Eon's Judgement in your opening hand is just as bad. In most of my games, I've found some utility in the 0 energy plays. I usually have 1 Skylander who is behind on Ranking up.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:01:20 14/06/2016 by DarkElement
#10 Posted: 06:04:17 14/06/2016 | Topic Creator
@DarkElement I must fight with Dreamcaster and Pain-Yatta in Kaos Realm again. So I want to build a lot of inexpensive cards without relics. And well,to trolling Noobs.
#11 Posted: 09:24:06 14/06/2016
I'm not sure what you mean by trolling Noobs. However, playing against villains such a Pain-Yatta involves more than just loading up with low energy cards. In those situations you want to adjust your deck to counter the problem presented. Pain-Yatta makes you draw a card when attacked. This would normally be a good thing but Pain-Yatta's ability does damage based on the number of cards in your hand. On the surface if would seem the best plan is to load up on low cost cards allowing you to play multiple in a turn.

However, the key isn't to just have low cost cards. You want cards that let you avoid attacking Pain-Yatta directly with a low power Skylander or prevents the ability from being played. Load up on cards that damage sidelined enemies for when Pain-Yatta isn't in the Frontline. Cards with mute prevent Pain-also help. Loading up on cards with swap and ensnare allow you to keep Pain-Yatta off the frontline as much as possible.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me