darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Does Superchargers have the most boring character list?
Page 1 of 1
Does Superchargers have the most boring character list?
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#1 Posted: 12:23:15 18/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Honestly I found a lot of new Skylanders quite generic. Maybe I feel this way as there less characters to favour this year. What are your thoughts?
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#2 Posted: 12:29:01 18/04/2016
Since there's only ten new characters, I'd agree. Only smilie and smilie really interest me.
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#3 Posted: 13:52:31 18/04/2016
They are also weak compared to some trap masters and other op characters.
---
Any last wishes?
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#4 Posted: 13:58:17 18/04/2016
Design wise, yes.
All upwards humanoids with techy or pilot features.

But gameplay wise I still think we are on the same quality level as the previous games.
Lots of interesting movesets, unique moves and gameplay possibilities.
It's more or less a matter of personal tastes as always.

The problem is... There is no choice at all.
Assuming I don't like revamps I simply cannot prefer a Skylander from a certain Element over another because each Element has just one new character.

And that's not good in my opinion.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#5 Posted: 14:01:41 18/04/2016
Quote: Wishblade
They are also weak compared to some trap masters and other op characters.

The point of OP is being above average.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#6 Posted: 15:09:26 18/04/2016
Yes, yes it does. The only characters I really like are smilie smilie & smilie all others are "ok" to "meh". though there's no character that I really despise like last year. They don't make amazing characters but they're usually likeable anyway, I felt the same way in SF.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#7 Posted: 17:22:40 18/04/2016
Quote: Deja Vu
Yes, yes it does. The only characters I really like are smilie smilie & smilie all others are "ok" to "meh". though there's no character that I really despise like last year. They don't make amazing characters but they're usually likeable anyway, I felt the same way in SF.

It's true. Even with a large character selection, I was only interested in smilie and smilie. The most heartbreaking thing is that I got neither *cry*
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#8 Posted: 17:39:05 18/04/2016
Yes, I think so too. I like smilie, smilie, smilie, and smilie, even some of those are generic, though.
I think all the other ones are kind of okay-ish, (like smilie ) but the others are really meh. They're also weaker than SF and TT landers. I honestly think that it's a definite step down from Trap Masters, as those were really powerful.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:40:30 18/04/2016 by Spyro Lover122
BlueFox Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#9 Posted: 17:57:31 18/04/2016
Definitely. None of them are downright awful, but, per usual with VV, their concept art looks better than their finalized forms.
---
Where’s the account deletion button when you need one?
B-BOB358 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1029
#10 Posted: 22:39:38 18/04/2016
I do find some a little underwhelmng, splat for instance.

But I think that's mostly because I've played with 100 different characters and we're up to year 6 now. If youve been playing for a while, new characters are always gonna seem underwhelming unless they make them over powered. They've done pretty well to get to 100+ skylanders that still all feel relatively unique.

I don't mind being underwhelmed a little if it means they arnt making the old skylander designs and abilities completely obsolete .
---
SA & Giants are the best skylanders games. I miss the old style.
#11 Posted: 23:36:45 18/04/2016
I would agree with you if I didn't find Trap Team's cast to be one of the best in the serie.
I cannot believe they magically ran out of good designs with just 10 new Skylanders compared to the 36 of last year.

It was simply a matter of choices and of course personal tastes (though I still think it's unbelievable how they didn't create even just a single quadruped to keep a bit of diversity).
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#12 Posted: 00:10:53 19/04/2016
Quote: Deja Vu

This, word for word.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:11:07 19/04/2016 by weebbby
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#13 Posted: 01:15:24 19/04/2016 | Topic Creator
It just really bugs me we could have had a Koala and a Triceratops Skylander. I like Smash Hit but his design is rather boring compared to the Koala.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#14 Posted: 03:53:09 19/04/2016
Yes. Just like the swappers, they're all too humanoid and aren't very diverse. It's like they took a template and filled it in.
Also no dragons.
---
#all Spyros are valid
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#15 Posted: 04:05:36 19/04/2016
Yes if you don't count the re-imagined characters.
---
bye
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#16 Posted: 05:14:35 19/04/2016
TFB: Excellent character concepts and designs, wide variety of heroes' species and genders.

V.V.: Interesting ideas for some characters, but tend to fall flat in gameplay. Nearly all male/genderless cast

That being said, I actually really liked Dive-Clops and High Volt this year.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that in TFB's second game (Giants) and in VV's second game (Superchargers), we've essentially gotten "half rosters". Half of the usual amount of 'new' characters. Just for the sake of argument, let's call the revamps 'new'. We got two characters per element (excluding Light and Dark) of each element in both games.
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#17 Posted: 06:54:41 19/04/2016
Considering there is only 10 new ones, yes, the cast could have been better. Additionally TT roster was the best of the franchise imo, so the contrast has been even greater between both games.

However, I wouldn't say it's been the most boring in the franchise as some designs like thrillipede ( I know, I know, some people hate him, but it's my top choice this time) and spitfire are eye candy, and the latter has a spectacular moveset tbh.

For instance SF was less interesting for my tastes, as the gimmicklanders didn't appeal to me at all and out of dunebug and scratch I wasn't really interested in any more of them.

But again, the characters design tastes is something very personal, some peoplle like it humanoid (like me) others like it more pokemon wise, etc, so is a subjective matter at the end.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#18 Posted: 17:16:06 19/04/2016
Aesthetically yes as some of these guys do feel like a novelty. While I do like them more than the Giants cast at least to me, but they do get dry pretty quickly. Even Giants at least had smilie, smilie, smilie and even smilie when he came back in Trap Team to keep me occupied, but yeah there weren't that many new characters that I'm gonna play with for years.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#19 Posted: 18:34:46 19/04/2016
for the most part I think it was the worst group of New Skylanders.
My most beloved Supercharger was Bone Bash Roller Brawl and even then I'm not sure which I prefer her Supercharger form or her original.

I liked the design Dive-Clops but only because I wanted to call him Big Daddy or Mr. Bubbles but since we couldn't Nickname them I kinda lost interest. But I lost interest in all the new skylanders but took interest in the redesigned skylanders instead.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#20 Posted: 19:56:08 19/04/2016
I wouldn't say that. The new Skylanders definitely have creative designs, barring Dive-Clops and female projectile spam Free Ranger. But, since there are so few new characters this time around, who mostly just take a backseat to the vehicles (pun not intended), it is probably the weakest line-up of new characters in the series.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#21 Posted: 16:27:41 25/04/2016
The only one i actually like is Dive Clops... DK and Bowser too but those don't count
Yep, this sure is the most stupid character list.
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
#22 Posted: 16:52:22 25/04/2016
I didn't have time to say it before but I do now.
Definately a step up from SF, but still obviously falling in the same mistakes. Characters withgl great diverse designs are redrawn to fit some dumb standard and lose a lot of charm as a result(Smash Hit and Astroblast), all humanoids, though thankfully with more body variety(Splat, Stormblade and Nightfall are actually varied; Splat being the same female mold as usual, but Stormblade having gigantic arms and legs and Nightfall being flat chested and actually short compared to the rest of the cast though her hair hides it well), and always lacking something - a detail, a pattern, or some eye catching characteristic.

And the sad thing is - we know Dave can do better now that he has his blog open for everyone. We've seen the Spectre Samurai he created in the SDCC panel and how far he can go at the start, but something or someone just seems to drag him down to dull and samey as seen with Scratch's develolment in Strata(weird adorable selfish-looking persian cat wizard to.... Whirlwind with light pink colors and a mask) ; while Murchie and I-Wei are allowed to go crazy as long as the figure fits in a box.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:53:45 25/04/2016 by Bifrost
Echo2VX Gold Sparx Gems: 2918
#23 Posted: 21:30:00 26/04/2016
I think the paths of the characters are getting more boring. I remember being excited to use a new upgrade, every time. Now, the paths are predictable, and simple.
---
Together, we can stop sheep abuse!
Top 10: smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie
#24 Posted: 21:35:41 26/04/2016
Quote: Echo2VX
I think the paths of the characters are getting more boring. I remember being excited to use a new upgrade, every time. Now, the paths are predictable, and simple.

It happened occasionally before, but the problem is making then too overspecialized. You either upgrade primary/tertiary or secondary, hope to Eon there's a tertiary/primary upgrade on either because otherwise that move is staying useless. Only exception is Dread Head Nightfall since her gameplay already forces you to use everything if you can't spam hooks, but everyone else it's either a move or the other(and tertiary).
---
Shin Majin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1145
#25 Posted: 22:39:38 26/04/2016
Quote: Drek95
Design wise, yes.
All upwards humanoids...

This has been the case with about 78% of gimmicklanders, and I'm being pretty generous with that calculation. It's the biodiversity of the characters that draws me to the franchise, so needless to say, I'm rather sick of this.

That being said, the gimmicks usually encourage this trend.
---
Team quadruped.
Joseph > Jotaro
#26 Posted: 23:22:03 26/04/2016
Quote: Shin Majin
Quote: Drek95
Design wise, yes.
All upwards humanoids...

This has been the case with about 78% of gimmicklanders, and I'm being pretty generous with that calculation. It's the biodiversity of the characters that draws me to the franchise, so needless to say, I'm rather sick of this.

That being said, the gimmicks usually encourage this trend.

Couldn't agree more.
V.V. indeed improved themselves from SWAP Force's in terms of Gimmicklanders (just look at Dive-Clops or Spitfire) but still fell in their usual stereotypes (Astroblast being a really basic hero and Smash Hit being yet another undefined mammal).

It's not like they didn't proved to create great characters, they proved it with SWAP Force Cores... But maybe that's the point.

SuperChargers are Gimmicklanders which would want to feel like Cores but ultimately are neither of them (I still think they lean more on the Core side but whatever).
And except for them this year we have... Nothing.
Well, we have vehicles but despite what Guha says it's definitely not the same.

Trap Masters felt limited compared to Trap Team Cores but I never felt like they were something else and they were still pretty creative and diverse: Gusto is more round than muscular, Krypt King is tall and statuary, Wallop is bulky, Blastermind is short, Enigma is thin and agile, Short Cut is Core-sized, Knight Mare is a centaur and so on.

Bad decisions rarelly come alone.
Absence of Cores + "limiting" gimmick + V.V.'s DreamWorks fantasy for Gimmicklanders = weak cast.
And don't even get me started on revamps, please. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:25:32 26/04/2016 by Drek95
Iganagor Emerald Sparx Gems: 3552
#27 Posted: 23:52:59 26/04/2016
Yes. This was the worst game in the series. Everything sucked.
And why were BOWSER and DK skylanders? I mean they had better amiibo choices.
Bowser and DK are the bad guys. WTF Nintendo.
At least Crash isnt going to be in this game... Right? Plz No. Or I kill Sony

I hope my logical paragraph gets through to you.

(Everything is IMO)

I'm sorry but I'm not kidding. I hate SC.
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
1. Go to a beach - 2. Fall flat on the ground - 3. Recite Stunfisks fart-cry
4. Flop 618 times - You have a STUNFISK!
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#28 Posted: 10:59:25 27/04/2016
I Think that the new characters are actually fun to play as. It's just that they are a bit weaker than the past gimmick landers.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:02:23 27/04/2016 by KingMed
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#29 Posted: 14:04:38 27/04/2016
Yes, I find the new Skylanders underwhelming. Only Stormblade, Spitfire and Splat interest me, on which I don't even have Splat because I see no reason to buy her. I've got the game finished, and all I really can do is race or reply the story. I've played SuperChargers for 4 weeks straight when it came out, but after that, I never touched it again.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#30 Posted: 14:31:19 27/04/2016
Quote: BlackWing116
Yes, I find the new Skylanders underwhelming. Only Stormblade, Spitfire and Splat interest me, on which I don't even have Splat because I see no reason to buy her. I've got the game finished, and all I really can do is race or reply the story. I've played SuperChargers for 4 weeks straight when it came out, but after that, I never touched it again.

The newness of trying new characters doesn't feel as fresh on the 200th skylander than it did on the first ten. Btw, I also think the use of vehicles crowded out the skylander "on foot" experience which would help contribute to this feeling.
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#31 Posted: 14:56:58 27/04/2016
Quote: TakeYourLemons

The newness of trying new characters doesn't feel as fresh on the 200th skylander than it did on the first ten. Btw, I also think the use of vehicles crowded out the skylander "on foot" experience which would help contribute to this feeling.

Yes. I remember getting my hands on Blackout, Echo and some older Skylanders, and boy was I hyped. I loved new character after new character...

But all my hype died in one go upon realizing the Wii U starter pack of Superchargers had Donkey Kong... not Spitfire. I was so dissapointed. To this day I have never touched Donkey Kong. That's how bad it is.

Superchargers ruined Skylanders for me. Some may disagree, but for me, it's the biggest ruiner of them all.

Like Garbodor is the ruiner of Pokémon.
#32 Posted: 15:29:06 27/04/2016
If Garbodor ruined Pokémon for anyone then they weren't going to stay for long to begin with. You could make a case for Vanniluxe(who's 100% lazy considering Vanilite is aweomse),but don't badmouth an intentionally ugly looking pokémon.

Also, you know from the get go you're not getting Spitfire on that starter pack, just read any site whatsoever. I knew full well I wasn't getting anyone after the game is through with the Digital Owners pack, since it's all instants.
---
AmiiboMaster Blue Sparx Gems: 804
#33 Posted: 21:09:06 06/05/2016
Like Garbodor is the ruiner of Pokémon.

Quote: Bifrost
If Garbodor ruined Pokémon for anyone then they weren't going to stay for long to begin with. You could make a case for Vanniluxe(who's 100% lazy considering Vanilite is aweomse),but don't badmouth an intentionally ugly looking pokémon.

Is this Darkspyro or the Pokemon Community?

Whatever,

The one I like that are new to this game are: smilie , smilie , smilie , smilie , smilie and smilie
But I don't really like the others.

Some revamped Skylanders look cool: Like Big Bubble Pop Fizz, Super Shot Stealth Elf, etc.

And here is my collection: smilie , 3 Super Shot smilies , 2 smilies , 2 trophies, 3 vehicles and Gill Grunt and than I rarely collect some figures.

Comparing the designs for this game is like comparing a town to a universe. The designs aren't the best and I'm more interested in Skylanders SuperChargers Racing and Battlecast than this game.

I hope that Sky6 will have better designs.
---
Gimme all your Amiibos

and Skylanders BTW!
#34 Posted: 00:22:10 07/05/2016
I noticed something which makes SuperChargers' cast gain a few points to my eyes.

If I remember correctly SWAP Force was the first game to introduce characters heavily influenced by the human culture.
Dino-Rang is clearly inspired by the australian stereotypes but still managed to look unique and Skylandery; Stink Bomb, Wash Buckler, Rattle Shake, Fire Kraken and Hoot Loop (just to name a few) are simply humanoid animals dressed according to certain Earth's cultures or time periods.
Not a fan of that.

I think SuperChargers has been an improvement from that point of view since we only have one character, Astroblast, strongly aking to something human-related (at least he isn't an animal).
Though to be fair SWAP Force's Cores were much better in those regards than the Swappers themselves.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:22:32 07/05/2016 by Drek95
#35 Posted: 00:24:36 07/05/2016
We had pirates since the first game, though, and though historically they are a certain IRL culture they've long grown past for people. Wash Buckler definately doesn't count.
---
#36 Posted: 00:35:23 07/05/2016
Quote: Bifrost
We had pirates since the first game, though, and though historically they are a certain IRL culture they've long grown past for people. Wash Buckler definately doesn't count.

That's true, Captain Frightbeard and the various enemies and NPCs from Pirate Seas come to mind, but I was talking specifically about Skylanders.

Maybe I should have specified that, didn't thought about it since that's what the topic is about.
However I'm still convinced that no Skylander (even the one which are or were pirates) looked like a stereotypical pirate before SWAP Force.
Thumpback for example is clearly pirate themed but still looks original and fits the world he's in.

I have no problem with villains looking so "common", Brawlrus and Brawn & Chain are good examples but I think Skylanders shouldn't refer too much to our world; again, there's a difference between Stink Bomb and Tae Kwon Crow and, for example, Cobra Cadabra and Fling Kong even if they all take inspiration form the asian culture.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:38:49 07/05/2016 by Drek95
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me