Page 1 of 1
Magic items and figure continuation [CLOSED]
B-BOB358 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1029
#1 Posted: 21:24:54 21/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Like most, I was pretty annoyed when I found out magic items don't really do much in SC.
I've always loved using my potion and sky shield throughout games since SSA. So I'm just hoping for a return of their effects in sky7.

Having just bought the pokemon Tekken Tornament game, I think we're pretty lucky that all skylanders characters are still useable and playable after 5 game instalments . Pokemon amiibos in pokemon tekken just unlock random avatar items/ backgrounds.

I think on this forum we forget all the good things the skylanders franchise has done well . So I'd like to thank Skylanders for lasting 5 years and 5 games Without decreasing the function of old characters, and only recently decreasing the function of magic items.
---
SA & Giants are the best skylanders games. I miss the old style.
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#2 Posted: 22:09:42 21/03/2016
You made a good comparison there: amiibos unlock so little stuff it can barely be consider a toys to life product. And yes, the fact they still include all of the skylanders characters each game is great imo. Sure we payed for that, but still, it's something really good.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:13:00 21/03/2016 by angelg
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#3 Posted: 23:33:56 21/03/2016
I think that's why other figures such as magic and adventure items have been sacrificed to allow forward compatibility. I am happy for that but I do think they could have just made swap force figures not swap to allow magic items to return.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#4 Posted: 23:44:32 21/03/2016
That's very true.

I often complain about other figures' compatibility but always keep in mind what they continue doing with the characters, which are the true heart of this series.

Someone (don't remember if Lou or a developer from one of the teams) said they are working on Cloud features for future games so hopefully they will have much more space on the disc to start supporting all the various figure's functions.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#5 Posted: 00:26:51 22/03/2016
Well, I'm sure most people on here would hate this franchise if past toys wouldn't be useable anymore.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#6 Posted: 00:27:34 22/03/2016
To be fair, amiibos are more like collectibles than they are a TTL franchise. But I do definitely agree with that. Sure it's annoying to not have the magic items or traps have the same functions, but as long as the characters still work, I'm willing to look past that..
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:27:55 22/03/2016 by AdamGregory03
Dahvoo Emerald Sparx Gems: 3914
#7 Posted: 17:04:53 22/03/2016
Quote: Drek95
Someone (don't remember if Lou or a developer from one of the teams) said they are working on Cloud features for future games so hopefully they will have much more space on the disc to start supporting all the various figure's functions.

I remember thinking about something like this a few years back. If data required to keep old figures in new games becomes a problem due to disc space size, they should make DLC content packs available.

For example in Skylanders 6, the 8+ Giants and/or 16+ Swap Force figures would not work in-game unless a separate legacy DLC pack(s) was downloaded which would made those figures playable. Not everyone needs it, so it's a choice.

Now whether such legacy content would be free or paid DLC would be another matter. I wouldn't mind paying a small nominal fee if I meant I could use my older collection of figures.
---
SSA: 37/37; SG: 99/99; SSF: 174/174; STT: 254/254 & 59/59 Traps; SSC: 294/294 & 32/32 Vehicles; SI: 338/339 & 29/34 Crystals. MAX Imaginator Level: 59
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#8 Posted: 17:16:53 22/03/2016
Quote: Dahvoo
Quote: Drek95

I remember thinking about something like this a few years back. If data required to keep old figures in new games becomes a problem due to disc space size, they should make DLC content packs available.

For example in Skylanders 6, the 8+ Giants and/or 16+ Swap Force figures would not work in-game unless a separate legacy DLC pack(s) was downloaded which would made those figures playable. Not everyone needs it, so it's a choice.

Now whether such legacy content would be free or paid DLC would be another matter. I wouldn't mind paying a small nominal fee if I meant I could use my older collection of figures.

Stop it. You're giving Acti ideas!

I do get where you're coming from, though. smilie If other things have to be sacrificed so all the figures can work in the game, then the DLC becomes more appealing. But count on Acti to charge a high price, if it ever becomes necessary.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#9 Posted: 19:08:46 22/03/2016
Hm.

Two very distasteful ideas being proposed in this thread:

Legacy toys not working at all
Legacy toys requiring a paid DLC pack.

Neither one of those options are much to my liking. :/

Not sure what the best solution would be though. Even free DLC packs runs into issues with those without internet connections or have little-to-no hard drive space (which would be a lot of Wii U players...).

I wonder how feasible it would be to include 4GB or such of memory in the next portal itself? Plug in via USB and the game accesses the Portal's built-in memory for Legacy figures.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#10 Posted: 19:28:46 22/03/2016
Built-in portal memory is a great idea, though, again, new portal required. Bulkier could allow for a more complex and longer lasting design, though.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#11 Posted: 22:12:40 22/03/2016
If you take my crazy idea of building a USB hub into the portal, allowing you to connect three more portals for 4-player gaming, I think most folks would be okay with a new portal. :D
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#12 Posted: 22:15:07 22/03/2016
How about...

Make the portal the gimmick

Add all the features you were talking about, and make it really pretty. (Because TT and SC was terrible)

I dunno, just a stupid idea I had.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#13 Posted: 23:16:24 22/03/2016
Quote: B-BOB358
Like most, I was pretty annoyed when I found out magic items don't really do much in SC.
I've always loved using my potion and sky shield throughout games since SSA. So I'm just hoping for a return of their effects in sky7.

Having just bought the pokemon Tekken Tornament game, I think we're pretty lucky that all skylanders characters are still useable and playable after 5 game instalments . Pokemon amiibos in pokemon tekken just unlock random avatar items/ backgrounds.

I think on this forum we forget all the good things the skylanders franchise has done well . So I'd like to thank Skylanders for lasting 5 years and 5 games Without decreasing the function of old characters, and only recently decreasing the function of magic items.

Correction: All Amiibo work for Pokken (Max 5 a day), also you can get gold and titles as well.
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
WolfMaster Red Sparx Gems: 69
#14 Posted: 23:07:24 27/03/2016
I was disappointed that traps don't really do anything, I'll probably just sell all mine.
---
XBOX ONE Gamertag: TheWolfMaster00
I'm an avid Destiny player, also life-long lego collector.
Feel free to PM me about Skylanders or Xbox.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#15 Posted: 23:19:47 27/03/2016
Quote: WolfMaster
I was disappointed that traps don't really do anything, I'll probably just sell all mine.

I'd wait and see if they're useful in Sky6 first.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#16 Posted: 23:28:41 27/03/2016
Yeah, can't forget this was a VV game, we don't know yet how TFB will want to treat backwards compatibility. Depends if the game will be rushed again or not,of course, they need to actually have dev time to think of lower priority things like these.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#17 Posted: 04:46:45 28/03/2016
Thanking them for doing something they've publicly stated as one of their goals for the franchise? That's like your boss telling you his ever gratitude for showing up and doing your job. I can imagine the core swearing off the franchise the day they announce limited future compatibility for characters.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:48:03 28/03/2016 by TakeYourLemons
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me