Forum

Skylanders: Battlecast

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Mobile > Skylanders: Battlecast > Tough to understand card strategy or just bad cards?
Page 1 of 1
Tough to understand card strategy or just bad cards?
lamoracke Yellow Sparx Gems: 1635
#1 Posted: 17:47:28 21/03/2016 | Topic Creator
If anyone else has any to post, they are welcome. Many cards I do not own and many I own I cannot play as I do not own all 24 skylanders so my list could grow. Here are some cards I do not get that I currently can play.

Chalk Albatross. "When owner swaps, snare it."
Its an epic card in the non-elemental deck but I put it on enemies and nothing seems to change.

Cursed Choker. "At the end of owner's turn, give it -10 power and -10 max health." I need to see if its really making the enemy lose 10 every turn.

Warp Hat. "At the end of each turn, swap its owner." Does anyone actually use this to your satisfaction? If so, I imagine its an item that you put on your enemy you want to attack and not run away on the sidelines?

FYI, here is a card that does not seem to work when the enemy in question is the frontline opponent. Cull The Weak.

Lastly, one card I feel is useless in 99% of the situations....Power Surge. "You and your allies get +10 spell damage until the end of your next turn." So its really only useful if you can use it before another spell thus you need to use it past the 3 crystal stage but using 3 energy to get +10 spell damage, maybe? Seems weak.
JJAtelier Blue Sparx Gems: 727
#2 Posted: 18:51:36 21/03/2016
I can confirm Cursed Choker works. Will update with screenies later.

Warp hat is actually a very interesting gear since it allows you to double swap when circumstances become dicey or you have a specific combo in mind. While it definitely has its uses via pseudo snaring an enemy skylander, it can also be used defensively to keep your squishy skylander in check.

The best example I can conjure is Roller Brawl equipped with BoG & a Tank skylander equipped with Warp Hat. Because Rollers mechanics revolve mainly around swapping in & out to gain bonus damage with her spells, namely Close Shave and Blades of Gory. She basically gets 50 damage off (provided blades of gory is equipped) when swapped in conjunction with the skylander equipped with Warp hat at beginning of the turn and then swapping out to deal another 50 damage at the end of turn.

That's 100 direct damage to the frontline enemy while Roller is unexposed.
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 19:11:33 21/03/2016 by JJAtelier
#3 Posted: 04:54:35 24/03/2016 | Topic Creator
You are right, warp hat was just misunderstood by me. If I want an enemy to always get nailed, its a great one to have...or as you say, can make good fun with Roller Brawl.

So, I guess just Chalk Albatross and me do not get along, and maybe Power Surge. Still, that is a good percentage of cards.

Update 5/12/2016
Have learned that Cursed Choker is pretty fun as someone else said.

Here is my list of 5 cards I just do not use much due to limited value...anyone disagree with the value of any of these five? Have some of your own.
Power Surge
Chalk Albatross
Ice Storm (looks nice, but 8 energy)
Restless Spirit (7 energy for a one turn monster, might be good to get that last 3 star if you needed it but its not as hard now)
Stink or Swim (of Wash Buckler). - all this card does is chaos. Swap, swap, swap. Have seen the enemy swap 4 times in one turn due to this, not sure how useful it is, if any.

Again, not complaining, having access to near 300 cards is awesome and most cards are darn fun, but some cards have to be least useful or misunderstood.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:44:48 12/05/2016 by lamoracke
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#4 Posted: 19:23:32 12/05/2016
Mon Amiibo's LP shows Cursed Choker's pretty nice for story mode enemies that love to switch. A smarter player will quickly give themselves new gear, though.

Restless Spirit could use being two less energy. If you can heal over the 150 HP, it's a risky revive(good luck getting through the energy cost without an Earth ally,too), but without a water teammate there's no reliable way to use it before anyone gets acess to Warly Birds and friends. Kind of ironic Soul Survivor is tons more useful at the cost of a single teammate which you can choose to be your least healthy one.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:45:19 15/05/2016 by Bifrost
JJAtelier Blue Sparx Gems: 727
#5 Posted: 08:06:52 13/05/2016
@lamoracke

Based from my experience from playing the first expansion of Hearthstone, designing cards don't need to always necessitate the notion of being "useful" or viable to begin with.

It's about expanding design space for future expansions so the classic set (i.e. our current 300) may have possible synergies in later down the road with new card releases.

That's why bad cards exist. Or in your latter case, somewhat misunderstood concepts of cards. The second purpose of these cards is also to fill in any possible missing design spaces so the drop rates from the battlepacks & booster are not always going to be consistently bloated with just good cards all the time. If the game only contained a predominant shelf of good cards then players are not going to innovate or bother playing niche/specific strategic decks since there's hardly any creative strategy worth bothering since everyone would just play net decks to win. It would also be bad for their business model.

This is why I think cards like "The Tempest", "Mobile Generators" and "Power Surge" (imo) are the biggest victims of undesirable cards in the current state but have super potential in later expansions.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:08:09 13/05/2016 by JJAtelier
#6 Posted: 18:16:18 23/05/2016
Wow, also the guy that's been posting multiplayer videos just posted one of an incredible use of Showdown to turn the tables in two turns flat. I was seeing a loss coming because he puts all his chips in Ninjinni and his team always gets thrown in at rank 1 when she dies, but this opponent made a deck to perfectly fool someone into falling into that spot.
At some point they made a mistake and wasted an Overclock, but even then, secretly buffing Jawbreaker from the sidelines while chipping away at Ninjini and nobody else, and bam, Showdown the safeties out once the team was done for, making sure Ninjini had nowhere to go because she was the only one being attacked. Food Fight just gained a lot of respect from me. Though there are other methods, like using Water spell debuffs or stealing Ninjini's XP with Undead spells to keep her out of the bottle.

It'll be a waste to see all these strategies and not be able to play the game if Bluestacks can't run it, but darn it's fun.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 18:18:32 23/05/2016 by Bifrost
#7 Posted: 19:45:51 23/05/2016 | Topic Creator
If its an opponent wasting an overclock, that is likely a bot. That is the single biggest thing I see over and over from bots. They use overclock, which wastes 4 crystals, then swap out.

Showdown almost entirely makes it easier to win against an opponent but it can occasionally nail you. I had a situation where I had 2 opponents virtually gone and then stealth elf was the one left. All 3 of my characters were at level 3 and I had 100% full health. Tree Rex, the least powerful, was in the front. Stealth Elf did Showdown, knocking out my Ninjini and Snap Shot or whoever else I had and she had scorncrow on and some other power up. Tree Rex 1 on 1 just could not keep with her. Went from trouncing to losing. However, 9 times out of 10, it seems the bot use showdown just because and it does not help them.

Makes me have to play a little bit defensively more against bots when its 10 crystal time. Dont want to put someone up front than can be taken out with one shot whereas sometimes I do use a low HP character as a big damage sacrifice.

Food Fight is amazing actually. His cards are awesome. He is one of my favorite 2 characters but he took a while to grow on me. Some characters have grown. Tree Rex if you use his 1 energy card to heal others and then use his 9 crystal show me your roots, you can 100% your entire team at once. Not likely you will get that chance, but boy is it fun.
#8 Posted: 19:58:20 23/05/2016
Still, it's good AI to trick a human player while buffing someone usually offcamera. The devs probably made a few set decks for specific strategies, then?
---
#9 Posted: 20:00:24 23/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Who knows, its just the most common mistake I see the bots do, and I see it over and over. They power up, but then the logic dictates then to swap out based on health applies so its wasted crystals. Still do not understand why the bots never and I mean never use Pop Fizz's special ability. I like the PvP fights against bots because its slightly easier than humans, I can use characters who may not be as good otherwise.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me