First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Non-playable Characters Discussion
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#51 Posted: 10:57:45 22/03/2016
Ooh my god she'd have to show up eventually.
You know it, I know it. The best moment she has is getting increasingly angrier and openly threatening you after you disobey her constant yelling. She's that bad.

Incredible potential too. Undead - apparently killed by that Rain Fish too since she never actually says how she got out after being eaten -, an even better exposition person than Hugo when it comes to the lore's reach, and the suicidal and detached cheerfulness she just goes anywhere with could have some pretty g-rated hilarious black humor.

What we get? Yelly McSouthernAccent. She just yells every goddamn sentence, her accent is horribly forced. She babies you every opportunity - PRESS THE ATTACK BUTTON NOW - and in Superchargers became extremely condescending at times. Her 'quirks' make no sense and she'll yell food names like she's desesperately trying to make you laugh, aside from the expositionese that shows up despite she clearly being too impatient to spell it out in any other instance.

Only salvation for her is the comics. Return of the Dragon King and Secret Agent Secrets made her almost motherly to the Skylanders and stern like a library owner when needed(Battlecast actually implies she manages the Academy Library since she has a card for a book throwing debuff) when needed, very little yelling. I want that Mags to come back in future games, but if we have to stick with someone that manages to be more childish and annoying than Flynn, I'll be glad to show her the door.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:00:16 22/03/2016 by Bifrost
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#52 Posted: 11:12:10 22/03/2016
Mags is an interesting case. I admit I kinda like her even though she's loud... very loud. But I got used to those kind of people as well, because I could sometimes call myself one of them. Though I think they should've brought up her being an Undead more and maybe make herself a bit darker, kinda like Hex. She just became that loud girl with a western accent and jokes that no one laughs about. And I also sometimes feel like she doesn't take the whole "the world's in danger" thing seriously. Maybe she lives in her own bubble and thinks that nothing bad could possibly happen, on the other side, that would make an interesting character that lost his sanity... who knows what they'll do with Mags, everything's possible.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#53 Posted: 12:46:21 22/03/2016
Mags is waifu material.

Okay, seriously. I like Mags, she's cool. At times she can get a little grating, but I've always been a fan of over-eccentric yet intelligent characters, and Mags is no exception. In my opinion she had some of the funniest lines in Trap Team, mainly due to her ramblings about stuff like gluten-free brownies (I believe, been a while since I played TT).

Mags is by no means my favorite NPC, but I wouldn't mind seeing her become a main-stay. In fact, I would like her to become a more fleshed out character in the future, maybe from the TV series or give her her own subplot in future games.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#54 Posted: 18:57:27 22/03/2016
Okay, so I thought Mags was pretty cool in Trap Team, but she wasn't one of my favorites. In SuperChargers I felt a perhaps slight change in the way she acted. Why does she yell everything? I found it a lot more noticeable in SC, and it's why I'm not a big fan of her voice acting. I'd be kind of okay if she kept coming back, but I hope that they don't make her as annoying as they did, again. That's all I have with her, I think she's pretty plain.

Quote: Bifrost
Only salvation for her is the comics. Return of the Dragon King and Secret Agent Secrets made her almost motherly to the Skylanders and stern like a library owner when needed(Battlecast actually implies she manages the Academy Library since she has a card for a book throwing debuff) when needed, very little yelling. I want that Mags to come back in future games

Agreed, I think she'd be a lot more likable that way.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:07:39 22/03/2016 by Spyro Lover122
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#55 Posted: 09:05:18 24/03/2016 | Topic Creator
I think Mags is stupid but in a good way. I'm glad they gave her a bit more importance in Superchargers. I think the "hot buttered toast" joke is kinda funny.
---
bye
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#56 Posted: 12:18:05 24/03/2016
She's cute and smart.The accent is a bit exagerated, they should relax that a bit.

As it has been mentioned her best momento is when you throw her to the water in TT and star making comments.Wish she had more moments like that one. And as i said with the others NPCs ir would be cool if they gave her a more grown up personality.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#57 Posted: 21:01:52 24/03/2016
I think she's great. Her goofiness adds a cool dimension to skylanders.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#58 Posted: 22:05:36 25/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Round 5: Buzz

[User Posted Image]
---
bye
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#59 Posted: 22:08:09 25/03/2016
I love Buzz. He's cool in TT and GREAT in SCC. I love characters who act all goofy most of the time and can also be very serious. Great development on his part.

Reminds me of Stan from American Dad.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#60 Posted: 22:15:09 25/03/2016
Obligatory TAHT'S TEH TICKET

I hated him as much as Mags in TT,but boy he's good on David's hands. He used to repeat the same catchphrases over and over and it just felt like a weaker Flynn, and his kind of abusive way of treating the Mabu Defense Force felt more demeaning than ridiculous. Great proof of personality that needs time and place; not being allowed to screw around make him such a better character - stern, but not a killjoy, jokes around, but knows when to berate people for doing genuinely foolish things. And of course, being the host for character quests got him a big positive from me, though it feels weird he doesn't get half the puns the Skylanders makes - if he trains all of them, he kinda should be more used to it. Still hoping we see him train actual newcomers, since the Superchargers had prior experience working as their own team and the Defense Force was on SSA. Best moment is same as Adam said below on thinking killing Queen Cumulus is alright, and for once a non-humurous moment when he yells at everyone for just sitting around doing plot exposition and getting them attacked; it's a moment of writing realism you don't see often in the games.

Of course, can't forget the rumor TFB threw in the air that he's Flynn's dad. And yeah, that could happen - they're the same type of cat-like Mabu, catchphrases,and Flynn's line about his father training the Trap Team could be on point. Though, that could easily put Buzz in being way older than the rest of the cast(minus Eon who's centuries old) which is weird but explains the injuries.

In a word, sure, bring him next game. He's the kind of full package for a character carrying plot devices, and though development or even some lore on how he got here would be nice, he works just as fine without it.

Also, his run animation in TT is as janky as it gets,reminds me of Thrillipede now. No wonder they usually just set his model up whenever he needs to be and he hardly ever walks.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:37:12 25/03/2016 by Bifrost
#61 Posted: 22:34:13 25/03/2016
For some reason Buzz reminds me of an older, more humble Flynn. And I guess that's appropriate, considering that the two theories surrounding him is that he's either Flynn's father or Flynn from the future. But with that said, Buzz has become another one of my favorites. I like how he interacts with other NPCs, and how he's always willing to take action. I also thought he was another pretty funny character, especially with his assassination joke in Superchargers.
---
Check this out! Please?
#62 Posted: 23:05:04 25/03/2016
Buzz is a good character, he feels kinda like the character who cares more about the Skylanders than he shows. He's serious and the only NPC who didn't get caught and stuck in a cave.
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#63 Posted: 23:18:56 25/03/2016
Despite always bragging about being a secret ninja commando trainer, he's a swell guy. I think he might have trained Stealth Elf, Ninjini, Stink Bomb, and Lob Star due to the Skylanders' ninja personas as well as receiving extra ninjutsu training from Buzz.
#64 Posted: 23:23:12 25/03/2016
They all train with Buzz at some point. It's never explicitly detailed but from his mannerisms in the Supercharger Quests, he's pretty much everyone's personal trainer. Gotta wonder how he keeps track of all 110+ of them in schedule.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:23:29 25/03/2016 by Bifrost
#65 Posted: 09:33:00 26/03/2016
Legend! He's one of my favourites. He is much better than Flynn.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#66 Posted: 14:17:23 26/03/2016
He must really stop all that ninja talking.is not funny and it completely breaks the immersion.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
#67 Posted: 17:19:17 26/03/2016
I saw him as a 'Flynn the second, with a twist' in TT. I'm not the biggest fan of him really. He isn't too bad, but the 'ninja commando' thing can bother me at times. I'm expecting him to return, and I don't really mind it.
---
#68 Posted: 22:39:47 26/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Pretty neutral toward him. I prefer his role of being a trainer in Superchargers. I don't feel like he is funny or bring a lot to the story, but I don't hate him.
---
bye
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#69 Posted: 00:36:01 27/03/2016
Tessa is alright, though she doesn't really stand out to me. I'm not done SF yet so don't spoil it please, but I'd like to see her an Cali interact. I always thought there was something between Cali and Flynn, something mutual. It's very thinly hint at in the start of SF in how eager Cali was to speak with Flynn and something very gentle an maybe even shy in her tone. I don't think there's anything between Flynn and Tessa, but the way she fawns over Flynn could be the push Cali needs to reciprocate with Flynn a little more.

I like Hugo, he's pretty cute and certainly the least annoying Mabu there is. He comes off as a sort of friend to the Skylanders, but I'm unsure what his explicit role is in their ranks.

I know nothing about Mags, but one youtube video tells me her voice is awful.

Sharpfin has LOADS of potential, but he's not well developed. Tessa decried him as being a criminal of sorts, but he proves to be an amicable one. This could make him invaluable for his connections to the unsavory but powerful denizens of Skylands, but also a huge liability depending on who offers him what for intel on the Skylanders.

Again, Never played TT or SC so I have no idea about Buzz.

If the OP is interested, I have ideas for other NPC discussions:

Avril
Flynn (obviously)
Cali (as above)
Master Eon (same)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:37:08 27/03/2016 by ClassicSpyroLUV
#70 Posted: 00:41:54 27/03/2016
Considering they only used Sharpfin's contacts that to say 'hey we totally didn't shove in Pandergast out of nowhere', and WHOO BOY CAN'T I WAIT FOR HIM TO SHOW UP HERE to say some choice words, it's REALLY underdeveloped.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:42:17 27/03/2016 by Bifrost
#71 Posted: 01:55:28 27/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: ClassicSpyroLUV
If the OP is interested, I have ideas for other NPC discussions:

Avril
Flynn (obviously)
Cali (as above)
Master Eon (same)

I already have 30+ planned characters and they are part of them. Flynn, then Cali are next. Eon and Avril will come later, before round 15.
---
bye
#72 Posted: 03:51:52 28/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Round 6: Flynn

[User Posted Image]

"Boom!"
---
bye
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:52:13 28/03/2016 by newkill
#73 Posted: 03:56:19 28/03/2016
Oh, Flynn... Personally, I love this guy. First off, he's voiced by Patrick Warburton, who I love as a voice actor. Second, this guy is willing to go through thick and thin just to get the Skylanders to their destination and help out in any way he can... and maybe get a little notoriety along the way. He's been one of my favorite characters since the first game to be honest. At times he can get a little grating, but to me, he'll always have his moments. In fact, I believe some of the series best moments comes from Flynn.
---
Check this out! Please?
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#74 Posted: 08:23:40 28/03/2016
Do you like the character? Do you hate it, or are you indifferent?
Character development since it's introduction
Design and personality of the character
Voice acting
Interactions with other characters
Favorite lines/moments of the character
Do you want to see the character in the next game(s)?

Round 6: Flynn
I don't really like Flynn.
Character development? That's pretty funny.
Seems stupid.
Hey, at least his voice actor is good.
Treats a lot of them badly.
"BOOM!"
No, retire Flynn and Mags.
---
#75 Posted: 11:15:19 28/03/2016
Flynn is as enjoyable as the amount of times he says boom in the same 10 minuts. No devs, that means the MORE he uses it, the MORE horribly unbearable he gets, stop sticking it in every sentence.
It's weird because it's true. His ego is annoying, but loveable when not overused, he's very clearly got a good heart, and they never shy on saying how Flynn is anything but a role model being banned from everywhere and all. His flaw is that the writers never know how to keep that in small portions and make him straight up annoying by being all joke, all gimmick, all the time. It even got to the point he's a straight up jerk trying to joke about Glumshanks, and breaks up the cutscene's ice in half!

I think they should slow down with him and maybe work on backstory and development. His relationship with Cali is cute and all, but he's clearly been hiding things from us all these years - why Boom Town turned into a religion about him, why he keeps stealing from people for apparently no good reason before joining the Skylanders, just what's up with him?! TFB seemed to be planning for something in TT by keeping him out of a few levels, and the conversations you can have in that gap actually make him feel a bit less of a walking comic relief device - same on Ultimate Weapon, the first and for now only time he's genuiely angry and frustrated. Use that!

Otherwise, the writers really need to learn how to not abuse that device and just give him a break for a game or two, and get that straight.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:16:44 28/03/2016 by Bifrost
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#76 Posted: 12:10:31 28/03/2016
I don't know about Flynn, i have these like/hate feelings for this character. I mean since Swap Force he became a really fun character with a good heart and he wasn't so cocky all the time but in SuperChargers i just hated him (he had his moments though for example the Chicken level) but some parts like where he was scaring Hugo or kicked Glumshanks from his ship for no reason at all (idk if this was just in the fail dutch translation or also in the original version) i just hated him there.
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
#77 Posted: 12:12:56 28/03/2016
I love him, everything is great about him.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#78 Posted: 13:37:17 28/03/2016
Quote: Kevin16
I don't know about Flynn, i have these like/hate feelings for this character. I mean since Swap Force he became a really fun character with a good heart and he wasn't so cocky all the time but in SuperChargers i just hated him (he had his moments though for example the Chicken level) but some parts like where he was scaring Hugo or kicked Glumshanks from his ship for no reason at all (idk if this was just in the fail dutch translation or also in the original version) i just hated him there.

He "accidentally" lets him fall originally. His overly apologist tone makes it seem he did it on purpose though.
---
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#79 Posted: 15:56:52 28/03/2016
I love Flynn, his attitude, his VA, his personality everything.

He was kinda humbled in TT with how he was forced to be second to Sharpfin by not being the pilot and how he was jumping around like a kid when he was finally able to drive. It was kinda jerk-ish of him to leave Sharpfin an the Skylander behind to deal with the Fire Viper though.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:57:39 28/03/2016 by ClassicSpyroLUV
#80 Posted: 17:08:26 28/03/2016
Eh, Flynn is a fine character I guess. I'm a bit neutral towards him.
#81 Posted: 19:26:06 28/03/2016
Eh, not the biggest fan of Flynn. At most times I just see him as the basic comic relief when ever something serious happens. That's why I don't like him too much. When I was first started playing Skylanders I was cool with him. I even used to actually find him a bit funny, but that soon faded away after I got tired of him. Almost everything he says sounds like it's trying to make people laugh, and it just doesn't work for me anymore. He also hasn't even had any development at all since he appeared in SA. One of the things that I still like is his voice, though. His design is pretty much like all the other Mabu, basic, but it works. I doubt that there's going to be a game without him in it, so I guess I'll just have to accept that. Oh, and I don't mind the 'BOOM,' it gets old but it's better than some of the other guys like 'Secret Ninja Commando' and what not.
---
#82 Posted: 01:05:39 29/03/2016
I like him but he was bashed to death in trap team
---
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#83 Posted: 11:17:08 29/03/2016
Flynn is great. Yes over done in TT but I wouldn't want to see an installment of Skylands that doesn't feature him.
#84 Posted: 08:25:08 01/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Round 7: Cali

[User Posted Image]
---
bye
#85 Posted: 08:34:26 01/04/2016
Well, she was definitely one of my favorites at the beginning of the games, and I still like her a little now. She one of characters that I don't find as annoying as the others. I haven't really got a lot to say about any of the Mabu designs really. Basic, but nice. I like her voice acting, and I see it as fitting for her personality and design. I also quite like her attitude, if I'm being honest. Haven't really got much else to say about her, but she's one of the only ones that I'm 100% okay with returning again. (I really missed her in SF, I was happy to see her return in TT.)
---
#86 Posted: 09:41:55 01/04/2016
She started out nicely in the first games but honestly it was never as fun see her bicker with Flynn like Hugo. TFB also more or less nudged in the extra books she's the resident damsel in distress and doesn't mind it, which is stupid since there's no other reason she keeps doing archeology work alone or grossly underprepared.

Speaking of which, yeah, she's a cartographer and archeologjst. You'd forget that real quick outside of Giants3DS because it's literally the only time she's working. Seriously wish she did that more, aside from any development whatsoever other than moral support and love interest. For the main female secondary she's even less interesting than Mags and Tessa.
---
#87 Posted: 10:15:36 01/04/2016
She's probably my favorite NPC. Flynn always annoys her what gives her character a bigger palette than just the cat girl that gives you advice.
#88 Posted: 10:59:18 01/04/2016
I like Cali/ This one is going to be brief, but I enjoy her character a lot.
---
#89 Posted: 08:20:56 02/04/2016
She's great. I like she had more of a role in SC.
---
#90 Posted: 08:28:11 02/04/2016 | Topic Creator
One of my favorite characters, I missed her in Swap Force. I don't hate her in Superchargers, but I feel like her relationship with Flynn took a step back. In Trap Team they kinda got closer and Flynn annoyed her less.

Also, she is like... you know... hum... cute and stuff smilie
---
bye
#91 Posted: 17:49:12 02/04/2016
After Swap Force, I grew to like Cali almost as much as I love Tessa.
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#92 Posted: 14:45:05 03/04/2016
Cali was horrible in SSA and Giants but in Trap Team and Superchargers she was a really sweet character (as an example towards Hugo in the beginning in SC)
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#93 Posted: 20:54:26 03/04/2016
Cali had major attitude---even for the skylander. I kinda miss that.
#94 Posted: 07:40:20 05/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Round 8: Mabus

This includes characters like Blobbers, Nort, Rizzo, Quigley, Da-Pinchy, etc.)

[User Posted Image]
---
bye
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:27:40 05/04/2016 by newkill
#95 Posted: 08:31:01 05/04/2016
They really vary a lot. Even if the majority are Alex Ness and Paul Reiche just fooling around, some are way annoying, some at least are a variation of standard NPC fare. It's also pretty fun to see the four Shattered Island boys develop as they join the millitary in SSA and TT, though sometimes I just mix up who's who.

Da Pinchy is... Odd, feels like an excuse for some inside joke about Leonardo da Vinci and I feel left out of it whenever I listen to the mannerisms, but he could be waaay worse.

Overall, really depends on specific ones. The recurring guys aren't bad, but some are kinda aggravating be by voice or condescending tone, but in general it's nice to see something other than oblivious townspeople. Keep 'em around all I care, it's better than foxes and they make more sense as the human equivalent in numbers.
---
#96 Posted: 10:36:13 05/04/2016
I love them. Particularly Quiggly, the little fella is a champ. I just wish there was a Mabu skylander.
---
#97 Posted: 10:50:15 05/04/2016
Quote: Snap Shot
I love them. Particularly Quiggly, the little fella is a champ. I just wish there was a Mabu skylander.

There's Hawk, but for some reason or another he didn't make ths cut. I recall someone speculating Wallop is a brown Mabu like Hugo but no confirmation so probably not. At least there's Mab Lobs...?

Also, Mabu is the same on plural. Don't do the same mistake as Guha Bala, newkill smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:10:15 05/04/2016 by Bifrost
#98 Posted: 12:58:13 05/04/2016
They're meh. It depends really, I just see them as there. A lot of the random Mabu that aren't the main characters look the same, so their designs aren't all that special to me. So I haven't really got much to say, but they're okay.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:11:40 05/04/2016 by Spyro Lover122
Mike-Na Charge Blue Sparx Gems: 819
#99 Posted: 00:38:22 06/04/2016
I'm not much of a fan for them. They're voices are pretty annoying and they really treat the player like a baby. Like honestly it's embarrassing to play Spyros Adventure when one of the lines is "Ow, Ow, Owee, Ouchy Ow!" I think they would be better if they changed their mannerism. Glad to see they played such a small part in Superchargers, but the fox people are no improvement.
#100 Posted: 00:47:21 06/04/2016
It's specific of Snuckles to be a crybaby though(he's the one with that line), even if his only moment of interest is that level. In Trap Team he's frequently trying to not freak out.
---
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me