Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
The Silent Problem of darkSpyro.net [CLOSED]
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#1 Posted: 04:18:36 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Had this link shared with me. Thought it was only fair for the rest of the community to see it and be aware of what is being said about the community here.

http://crystalblazier.blogspot...kspyro.html?m=1

Quote:
DarkSpyro.net. A big Skylanders/Spyro the Dragon website that is steadily growing by the day.

While the forum does have some neat information on Skylanders and old Spyro the Dragon games, what members don't know is that there is more than just fancy walkthrough pages and galleries. There is the communication and the enjoyment fans gain by talking with others about the Skylanders and Spyro games. Or it can be about topics related to silliness and standard real world discussions. There is also the forum moderation. It can help make your time on the forum fun, or it can make your time there difficult.

Most of you may know me from the forums, and I have been around since 2008. Back then, the darkSpyro forums was just about Spyro games, solely operated by dark52.

Besides posting walkthroughs, managing and creating news posts on the Spyro games, dark52 was mostly on top of rule-breakers and trolls and would ban them from the forums as soon as they ignore their first few warnings. Sometimes though, trolls would come on when the admin was asleep, and it would take hours later until he would come online to clean up the mess. But other than that, darkSpyro was a pleasant place to talk and chat with other Spyro fans.

Until the time came when dark52 decided to follow Skylanders and made the site a part Spyro part Skylanders division. As time went on, more and more members joined due to the audience of Skylanders, and it became too much for the admin.

Some of us suggested to dark that he should appoint moderators so he wouldn't feel so overwhelmed. But dark refused to accept help and believed that he could handle the forum on his own like he always had.

Big mistake.

At one point, a troll posted inappropriate images on the forum that lasted for 6 hours until dark52 finally woke up and deleted them all. I can't even imagine how many kids late at night or in the morning were possibly scarred by those pictures all because of dark's stubbornness. Even after all of that, he was still convinced that he didn't need any moderators. Completely ignorant to the fact that he doesn't do anything when something obviously bad is happening. Can you believe it??

Sometime after the horrible incident, the admin allowed trolls to get away with harassing users. They broke the forum rules on multiple occassions, drove away older members, and the trolls even had the nerve to start speaking on the admin's behalf just to belittle others. In a nutshell, dark52 basically just sat back and watched the rule breaking scenario all happen. And this lasted about... a few years and it could've lasted a LOT longer.

I was one of the main victims of the trolling, and I can tell you, it was the worst experience I've ever endured on any forum. Imagine being harassed and trolled on for months, being the target of an upcoming war started by a troll who was in the process of tricking an entire forum section of children to be against you. And the admin knowing fully well what's going on but refused to do anything about it. All just to update forum news and making posts about Skylanders. Like the concerns of his userbase don't matter to him at all.

It can drive you extremely fustrated, crazy even. Honestly it drove me insane that I wondered WHY I was still on that forum.

After some time during all of the chaos, dark52 FINALLY gave in and went on to appoint moderators after 8 long years of solo moderation. At least he admitted that he neglected his duties. Although he never did apologize to the users, including myself, who were harassed constantly by the trolls thanks to him. But even with mods, dark didn't do much moderation himself sometime afterwards, besides removing the occasional spambot or inappropriate picture troll.

Nowadays, there is a 10% chance you will get a private message response from the admin, regardless of your question, request or in need of intervention. The other 90% is him updating the forum polls, getting news on Skylanders, and making the site look prettier. He rarely communicates with the forum members and his fellow moderators, keeping most rule changes and decisions to himself until he feels like revealing them at the last minute. You will very likely see him talk about Skylanders, than forum issues that aren't worth his time to talk about.

In addition, dark has shown some severe signs of neglecting his admin duties. Such as causing an harassment war to nearly happen, allowing a kid to post his private information more than three times (and we're talking about family names, home address, email that kind of private information that should be kept your self), and allowing scenarios to escalate out of porportion until he feels like dealing with it.

If you have a logical issue about dark52 and his way of moderation, he will simply disregard your topic subject at hand altogether and will respond to an-off topic comment on popup ads instead.
As a longtime member of the forum, I would not recommend darkSpyro.net unless you are used to a user who doesn't take his job as admin and site owner very seriously. You might become stressed or unwanted, a victim of trolling caused by returning rule-breakers and egomaniacs. All of this happening to you, with dark52 not doing anything about it. And normally he would leave the moderators to do most of the work for him.

An admin should learn from his or her mistakes. But dark52 is one admin who apparently never learn from his. And even if dark changes his ways now or after this video is made, chances are he will go right back to being a recluse and sit quietly while watching rule-breakers run amok until he FEELS like stepping in.

I've been on darkSpyro for ages, and it's hard to leave a place where I grew up going to after a day's work. But with the way things are on the forum, and the admin STILL showing no signs of improvement on his moderation, I may as well just move on.

So I ask you, viewers. Would you want to join a nice looking forum like darkSpyro.net, but with a reclusive and ignorant admin like dark52? I wouldn't. But in the end it's your choice. You may like the forum just because of how fancy it looks or it's the only popular place to see new Spyro or Skylanders info. But remember that in the end, it is run by a user, a user whose actions can either make your time on darkSpyro fun or outright miserable and unenjoyable.

Thanks for tuning in, everyone, see you next time.

Personally, I love the vast majority of the community here at dS. I've made some great friends online, a few that have extended into real life. Helped some folks get figures they needed, have shared and sourced with my fellow fans and, frankly, I haven't seen a better, more family-like Skylanders community out there. We're not without some problems, sure - but what family isn't? I still recommend darkSpyro.net to people online, parents I meet in stores, anyone who asks me where to go for the best resource in Skylanders fandoms online.

I hope the majority of you all do as well. We're better together.
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#2 Posted: 04:26:42 25/02/2016
Tbh I think Dark may be losing interest in the site.

I mean, he may have lost interest in the series, but feels bad and doesn't want to shut the site down because of all the happy members.

It's costly and hard to own the site, and monitoring it ALL the time is a hard job.

I bet he has another job other than this site, because you cannot control this kind of site and make real money to support yourself with.

It's most likely something he does for fun, in his past time, he'll skim it, and get back to work.

Also just want to remind you that this is a forum about skylanders. Of all things to get dramatized about you're talking and ranting about skylanders drama.
---
Spread those positive vibes
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#3 Posted: 04:48:03 25/02/2016
I was fully aware of the video and personally I agree with it.

I don't recommend the site to kids because there's much better ones to show them. Honestly I wouldn't really recommend this site to most people because the Admin has been more or less busy or not too active to deal with returning users that require a perma ban and etc. Sure we have mods, but the mod powers compared to most forums is not very scary or strong, in fact I feel like it's below average of what a mod can do.

I would only recommend the site for the walk throughs and guidebook.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:56:23 25/02/2016 by Trix Master 100
#4 Posted: 04:51:56 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: WilltheWizard
Also just want to remind you that this is a forum about skylanders. Of all things to get dramatized about you're talking and ranting about skylanders drama.

Well, I didn't think I was dramatizing or ranting much... but to each their own. ;)
#5 Posted: 05:01:26 25/02/2016
Quote: WilltheWizard
Tbh I think Dark may be losing interest in the site.

I mean, he may have lost interest in the series, but feels bad and doesn't want to shut the site down because of all the happy members.

It's costly and hard to own the site, and monitoring it ALL the time is a hard job.

I bet he has another job other than this site, because you cannot control this kind of site and make real money to support yourself with.

It's most likely something he does for fun, in his past time, he'll skim it, and get back to work.

2 things I should point out.

We have mods. He doesn't really monitor all the time, but does whenever he logs on.

Also it's a Spyro the dragon AND a Skylanders site. Not just the latter.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#6 Posted: 05:14:14 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: undefined

Quote: The Video
[...]ignorant admin like dark52

Nice to see the moderation team respecting the site admin.
#7 Posted: 05:16:33 25/02/2016
Quote: UncleBob

I have a right to an opinion. Sorry for having one.
---
icon from Empoh
#8 Posted: 05:20:16 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Never said you could not have an opinion. No need to be sorry - please, continue bashing the site you moderate on. I think it says a lot.
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#9 Posted: 05:31:00 25/02/2016
Never said you could not have an opinion. No need to be sorry - please, continue bashing the site you moderate on. I think it says a lot.

dark is awful with communicating with the mods, trix is allowed to complain even if she does mod the site.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#10 Posted: 05:34:23 25/02/2016

We aren't "bashing". This site has problems, problems that the mods recognize. I didn't realize that an REQ for being a mod meant that you had to think the site was 1000000% perfect in every aspect.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:35:12 25/02/2016 by parisruelz12
#11 Posted: 05:39:26 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Pixilism
[...]someone who claims to be of older and more mature status[...]

Source, please?

Quote: parisruelz12
We aren't "bashing".

I'm not sure in what world calling someone "ignorant" isn't considered bashing. Are you, a moderator of dS, saying that you are perfectly fine with calling people ignorant? Is this a statement of forum policy? Is it okay to go around calling other members of the site "ignorant" since it's not bashing?
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#12 Posted: 05:43:24 25/02/2016
Quote: Pixilism
[...]someone who claims to be of older and more mature status[...]

Source, please?

Quote: parisruelz12
We aren't "bashing".

I'm not sure in what world calling someone "ignorant" isn't considered bashing. Are you, a moderator of dS, saying that you are perfectly fine with calling people ignorant? Is this a statement of forum policy? Is it okay to go around calling other members of the site "ignorant" since it's not bashing?

someone pass the water, it's getting kinda salty up in here.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#13 Posted: 05:47:09 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Good reply. In a thread started by an article written about lack of response by an individual in a position of authority, you, an individual in a position of authority, dodge a direct question posed to you based off your forum statement.

Guess that makes you ignorant too, eh?
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#14 Posted: 05:56:34 25/02/2016
I'm going to try and not speak too much on this. It's late.

Being on the mod team doesn't bar any of us from speaking about how the admin has given us radio silence more often than there should. We don't have all the power in the world (fairly limited compared to mods on other forums) and it would greatly help us if we got more response from the one person who does. If he maintains silence when we ask for input or a proxy check what can we really do other than complain about either the admin being too quiet, or us not having the power to do something like that on our own?

Good reply. In a thread started by an article written about lack of response by an individual in a position of authority, you, an individual in a position of authority, dodge a direct question posed to you based off your forum statement.

Guess that makes you ignorant too, eh?

Not the person you asked for but...

Ignorance in on itself isn't an insult depending on the context. There's so much worse that you can be called that are higher priority here than "ignorant" and really "ignorant" is really just a claim to not being aware of a situation in many cases.

And have you not called people such yourself in the past? Memory is fuzzy.

I'm sorry Bob but it seems like here even if the issue involves the admin directly you'd rather throw the mods (who weren't involved to begin with) under the bus than just admit maybe the admin can communicate more.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:57:59 25/02/2016 by CAV
#15 Posted: 06:06:54 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV

Being on the mod team doesn't bar any of us from speaking about how the admin[...]

To an extent, I agree. So long as it is constructive. I haven't seen that.

Quote:
Ignorance in on itself isn't an insult depending on the context. There's so much worse that you can be called that are higher priority here than "ignorant" and really "ignorant" is really just a claim to not being aware of a situation in many cases.

And have you not called people such yourself in the past? Memory is fuzzy.

I agree with what you're intending (if I'm understanding you correctly) - but in this case, I see calling dark "ignorant" as nothing more than mindless bashing.

If I say you are ignorant of what color car I drive or I'm ignorant of what color shirt you have on, that isn't an insult, it's a fact (assuming you *don't* know what color car I drive...) If I just say "man, you're ignorant", to me, that's an insult and bashing. There's a difference, and, as you said, context matters.

Quote:
you'd rather throw the mods (who weren't involved to begin with) under the bus

Mind you, I never asked a single mod to get involved. Anyone who has replied here has done so of their own free will.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#16 Posted: 11:41:48 25/02/2016
There was a very good reason I didn't bring this up or talk about it despite having been posted almost a week ago; Dark doesn't care.

He didn't care in the past. People from back then remember VERY well how long it took to get mods, or the crazy **** users got away with because he didn't see it or wanted to pay mind to.
He doesn't care now. Aside from stuff mods said, what was the last time you've seen him post something that's not an Amazon link or whatever? EVEN for Skylanders stuff, it's like he doesn't exist.

And the problem is... There isn't a better place for Skylanders. Ghostroaster looks cool and all, but it's empty as ever and I've been lurking to find something it offers more and not really. r/skylanders has half the same problem we used to, with Portalflip being the only active mod, though at least they care a ton and watch the subreddit like a hawk; but whenever he isn't around things can get out of hand like that crazy person that also showed up here trying to scam people into trading a Scratch. Activision's support forum? Good joke.

Just like tons of problems with both franchises, Dark doesn't have to move a finger to get more people, they'll find it on google and flock here, because there isn't better. No one HAS better, too, bandwidth issues could get crazy with how active this gets during events. So we stay in this bad situation.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#17 Posted: 16:11:09 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
So we stay in this bad situation.

To each their own, of course - but I don't see this site in a "bad situation". The worst I see is unrelated to dark, but that's a discussion for another time.

I think we're a great site, overall - and it's sad to me that there are active members of this site making an effort to keep people away. It's in poor taste and I honestly feel the rest of the site should be aware of the situation.
#18 Posted: 16:23:45 25/02/2016
When it's been a week and there's no Wave 4 news post it does feel like it's getting worse in this small but significant aspect too.
---
#19 Posted: 16:30:24 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
'meh. I never really thought the posted news was a significant part of the site - it seems like any news worthy of knowing is posted in the forums in some way before it's posted on the site. I can see if you're a poster who doesn't regularly follow the forums or if you want some kind of "official" announcement why the news posts would be a concern though. For me, it's just not. To each their own, though. :D

It's like in the above posted rant - one of the complaints is about how all dark does is post Skylanders updates. Now, you're concerned that he's not posting Skylanders updates. You can't win 'em all, ya know? :D
#20 Posted: 16:34:45 25/02/2016
I mean he isn't doing even that. If you don't post not even once per month in the forum OR the news, at the most putting some 50x50 pictures on the game pages, you're not active for an admin at all. It'd be alright if there are actual issues keeping him from showing up more but without a second admin to help the mods and update stuff it feels even more distant.
---
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13873
#21 Posted: 17:08:42 25/02/2016
For the record I do care and I have not lost interest in the site or the games (although I suppose SuperChargers has not had the longevity for me that the other Skylanders games have had but I am still looking forward to seeing whatever comes next). I enjoy running the site and love the community that has built up on it over the years (with a few exceptions, naturally smilie). If there is a perceived notion that I am quiet that is simply because I am, that is just my personality. If somebody has already said what I'd have said then I usually don't get that itch to jump on in and just reiterate something.

On a side note if I haven't replied to a PM that you thought required a response feel free to send me a friendly reminder PM after a couple of days, I get a lot of PMs and while I do read each and every one and reply to as many as I can, a few do slip my mind to reply to if I am unable to provide an immediate answer for whatever reason.

And hey, 50x50? [User Posted Image] that's 50x50 and this [User Posted Image] is 230x230 thank you very much. smilie
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
#22 Posted: 17:13:46 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

(and that's 26x18...)
#23 Posted: 17:19:21 25/02/2016
I was looking at the game page, the tiny icon in the picture with all known figures, not the source code.

That still doesn't adress the complaints from people above, though, even if it answers mine.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:19:37 25/02/2016 by Bifrost
#24 Posted: 17:45:44 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
That still doesn't adress the complaints from people above, though, even if it answers mine.

As you grow, you begin to realize that not all complaints - and not all people - are worth addressing.

It's like Obama's birth certificate. It really didn't matter what he did or said about it, because the uproar wasn't really about his birth certificate in the first place.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#25 Posted: 19:16:23 25/02/2016
The only thing I'll say is that I believe the mods are unnecessarily handicapped. They lack:

1) The ability to fully check IP's and determine if someone's accessing the site via proxy.
2) A "moderation log" that shows deleted posts and topics (and who deleted them and the reason why), which topics were moved (and who moved them), who locked a topic, and edited posts, who edited them (and when), and the ability to view the original post. Right now, all they get is seeing who suspended someone and for how long.
3) Any control over guestbooks and the game pages, although they can remove avatars and signatures.

These are, in my experience, basic abilities that, at the very least, global moderators would have access to, along with many board moderators.

Now darkSpyro doesn't have a global moderator. I was probably the closest we had to one before I stopped because I had access to every board except the Skylanders ones (which I never went on anyway so you wouldn't have wanted me moderating them). Now it's probably JCW. But I doubt we'll ever see a true global mod on this site.

The big issue is, darkSpyro doesn't appear to be powered by a forum server like vBulletin, Invisionfree, Zetaboards, etc. Normally mod features like the ones I described are packaged in for an admin making a forum through one of those servers. I imagine in order to give the mods this dark might have to program them himself.

I still think it would be nice to see these, though. It'd probably make the mods job much easier. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#26 Posted: 19:33:05 25/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR

2) A "moderation log" that shows deleted posts and topics (and who deleted them and the reason why), which topics were moved (and who moved them), who locked a topic, and edited posts, who edited them (and when), and the ability to view the original post. Right now, all they get is seeing who suspended someone and for how long.

Wow. Did not know that. I know dark can review and restore deleted topics (as he did restore one of mine some time ago) - but, yeah - sounds like mods have no accountability for their actions if there's no way to track them (unless dark himself has a way to...)
#27 Posted: 20:38:08 25/02/2016
I definately remember people mentioning fights on game pages and tons of users there don't even know that there's an actual forum beyond them. Sounds pretty backwards to not have moderation there.
---
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#28 Posted: 10:40:57 26/02/2016
Quote: dark52
(with a few exceptions, naturally smilie).

SORRY DARK SENPAI
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#29 Posted: 12:11:34 26/02/2016
For the record I do care and I have not lost interest in the site or the games (although I suppose SuperChargers has not had the longevity for me that the other Skylanders games have had but I am still looking forward to seeing whatever comes next). I enjoy running the site and love the community that has built up on it over the years (with a few exceptions, naturally smilie). If there is a perceived notion that I am quiet that is simply because I am, that is just my personality. If somebody has already said what I'd have said then I usually don't get that itch to jump on in and just reiterate something.

On a side note if I haven't replied to a PM that you thought required a response feel free to send me a friendly reminder PM after a couple of days, I get a lot of PMs and while I do read each and every one and reply to as many as I can, a few do slip my mind to reply to if I am unable to provide an immediate answer for whatever reason.

Thanks for responding in detail to some issues on here.

All I really ask for is more communication with the mod team on certain issues. There's been a couple of things really making us run around and wonder and while I got somewhat of an answer from you in the past, when I had follow up inquiries and wanted your personal input you were mute.

While HIR brings up points as to things that mods here should have to be able to make their jobs easier, I'm fine without so long as you can help us out and stay on top of things that we cannot do (proxy checks being the main one here). Not to mention you have the most experience of us and it helps to get that input every now and then.
#30 Posted: 23:11:52 26/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: arceustheprime
(with a few exceptions, naturally >_>).

SORRY DARK SENPAI

Don't worry, I assume he was talking about me. ;)
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me