darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Am I the only one who loves the Superchargers bases!?
Page 1 of 1
Am I the only one who loves the Superchargers bases!?
Pokypro Blue Sparx Gems: 991
#1 Posted: 11:28:55 18/01/2016 | Topic Creator
So between all the bashing of the Supercharger figures and the actual game, I just wanted to ask whether or not I am the only one who really likes and appreciates the new character bases. Sure the colour was cool, but the new style, with the element being the base is awesome! They really complement the character IMO, and some of the elements ones are so amazing (e.g. The magic one). The rift engine is also pretty cool I as well I suppose, but I hope they really bring back the new updated elemental bases for Sky 6.
---
Skylanders Youtuber (https://www.youtube.com/user/Pokypro)
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#2 Posted: 11:47:47 18/01/2016
Nah, you certainly aren't the only one.

I sincerely can't stand Rift Engines, not even whith their presence fully justified and the undenyable fact they are truly important items lore-wise, but I'm not that mad at the bases themselves.
It's just that they cheaped them out a little: no shadings on Life and Fire (and maybe Air as well?), no crystals on Earth, Undead doesn't glow in the dark and so on.
I also personally don't like Nightfall's hair fusing with her base, but that's a purely subjective matter.

Not to mention the bases themselves tend do be e bit unstable compared to the old ones...
And nothing justifies the fact they lack a yellow transparent base.
Absolutely. Nothing.
Especially since they bumped up the price of characters a lot, this year.

But, while I would prefer if they went back to their old looks in Skylanders 6 (just like many other features) I wouldn't mind that much if they retained this new look.
Just no fancy metallic addictions, thanks.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:49:31 18/01/2016 by Drek95
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#3 Posted: 11:52:55 18/01/2016
Too cheap-looking for me to like. I'd love more Skylander-is-part-of-base like Nightfall and gimmick Gill Grunt, but not with a huge engine standing out like a sore thumb. As much as I'd like an update to the bases, though, the lack of shading and detail on some doesn't help - I'll stick with rocks and crystals like old Earth than a bunch of dirt, or the boring bones in the new Undead base that don't glow in the dark or have any transparent accents like the old one.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#4 Posted: 11:55:05 18/01/2016
Not really my thing, but I understand what's their use. I just hope to see the old ones again in the next game.
---
Bruh
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#5 Posted: 12:21:31 18/01/2016
Me neither, not something I worried much about. However, I like more the classic ones.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#6 Posted: 14:13:55 18/01/2016
I think it works as a way to differentiate the Superchargers from other Skylanders, kind of like how Giants were bigger or Trap Masters had the clear weapons. Buuut other than that they don't look all too great.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3165
#7 Posted: 14:39:21 18/01/2016
I prefer the older bases, but I don't find the new ones that horrible. They're okay, but could use some more detail.
---
Purple dragon.
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#8 Posted: 14:48:27 18/01/2016
I like both bases. Love the older look but hey the new look is amazing especially with the elemental flames.
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#9 Posted: 15:32:52 18/01/2016
The only thing I like about them is the lack of a colored transparent base. They look kinda cheap compared to the originals.
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#10 Posted: 17:15:01 18/01/2016
I think the new bases are a little pointless.

I understand why they did them, but there was nothing wrong with the others so why not stick with the trend?
---
^ You all know it's true
#11 Posted: 17:18:27 18/01/2016
Quote: Greeble
I think the new bases are a little pointless.

I understand why they did them, but there was nothing wrong with the others so why not stick with the trend?

That's also very true.
Some aesthetic changes here and there are fine but I generally stick to the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mantra.

They apparently had the exact opposite in mind with SuperChargers.
I'm just curious to see if was a V.V. choice or if they had orders from above.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#12 Posted: 17:37:23 18/01/2016
I must admit that the SuperChargers' pedestals are less inspiring than the originals. In fact, there aren't that many Dark and Light Skylanders, especially since they've just been introduced in STT. However, I do enjoy the Rift Engine pedestals as I like the SuperChargers; new ones and old ones with new abilities and outfits.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:53:29 18/01/2016 by TheShadowDragon
tPaperBomb Red Sparx Gems: 87
#13 Posted: 17:42:12 18/01/2016
They are cool but some are lame... as Bifrost said the glow in the dark undead base was awesome and no one wants a pile of dirt for earth element. Also since I like to unbox everything it looks like a different game figure when I put it with my collection.
---
Current Main Skylander: Fling Kong! smilie
Skylanders collection count: 45
1 magic item, 3 vehicles.
#14 Posted: 18:52:07 18/01/2016
Quote: tPaperBomb
They are cool but some are lame... as Bifrost said the glow in the dark undead base was awesome and no one wants a pile of dirt for earth element. Also since I like to unbox everything it looks like a different game figure when I put it with my collection.

That's why I think they did it. They want to reboot the brand in a way. So you feel compelled more so to buy figures again.

I feel they should have been doing this for each game. It's super late to change them four sequels in.
JayjeA Blue Sparx Gems: 636
#15 Posted: 02:55:00 19/01/2016
I think the new bases are a great Step forward from the tradition ones. ESPECIALLY the LIGHT, DARK, FIRE and WATER ones. SSSOOO SPARKLY CLEAR...
---
I'm a recent convert to Skylandering and I LOVE it! I'm doing a SUPERCHARGERS LP! I also do UnBoxing videos!
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#16 Posted: 04:58:56 19/01/2016
I'm indifferent to the bases. I'm typically looking only at the characters and I barely notice what they are on top of. A lot of times I have to flip them over to remind myself which series they are from, so the motors are good to quickly ID a figure from prior years, but then again their larger size makes it rather obvious to me as well.
---
Stay Cool!
CakeMc Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#17 Posted: 05:02:10 19/01/2016
Your Not The Only One, I Personnaly Love Them Cause There Different From The Traditional Ones
---
Kaos - The Master Of All Battle Classes
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#18 Posted: 16:25:50 23/01/2016
I strongly prefer the old bases for the figurines. I find the SuperChargers ones are more interesting, but less functional. The figures tip/fall over more easily, and they just look awkward when mixed in a display alongside all the Skylanders from previous years.

In general, I think Vicarious Visions tries too hard to put their own "stamp" on each Skylanders volume that they design. Wish they would stop doing that. Also hope the "old" figures bases come back in the future, but I'm not holding my breath on that.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
LittlePunk Blue Sparx Gems: 893
#19 Posted: 02:24:10 24/01/2016
I like em. While i would've loved a Clear yellow base in the bottom, i Dont mind. I hope they keep making more creative bases in the future.

smilie -Fuel the FIRE!!
---
smilie This fire is outta control!
smilie Let there be rock!!!
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#20 Posted: 15:27:17 24/01/2016
Quote: BahamutBreaker
I strongly prefer the old bases for the figurines. I find the SuperChargers ones are more interesting, but less functional. The figures tip/fall over more easily, and they just look awkward when mixed in a display alongside all the Skylanders from previous years.

Agreed,
TTD Hunter Gems: 6169
#21 Posted: 16:33:45 24/01/2016
I do like them, I just prefer the old design. Not only because I prefer the sculpt but they seem to support the figure more. I often place a figure on the table after removing it from the portal only for it to fall over (which can be a pain), this is a problem that I never encountered with the previous bases. I do hope that they return to the old bases for the next game and I have a feeling that they will especially since rift engines will be obsolete.
#22 Posted: 13:28:16 25/01/2016
If they go back to the translucent layer under the base then it'll drive me nuts. One game in the series having a different base is awkward. In b4 SuperChargers is the black sheep of Skylanders.
tPaperBomb Red Sparx Gems: 87
#23 Posted: 16:55:25 25/01/2016
Quote: Hexin_Wishes
If they go back to the translucent layer under the base then it'll drive me nuts. One game in the series having a different base is awkward. In b4 SuperChargers is the black sheep of Skylanders.

it will be, we all know activision. Also the next game is gonna have nothing to do with superchargers anymore I'm guessing and the bases have rift engines...
---
Current Main Skylander: Fling Kong! smilie
Skylanders collection count: 45
1 magic item, 3 vehicles.
#24 Posted: 17:01:20 25/01/2016
Oh yeah! I guess I should have elaborated... Only one game having a. Different base will drive me crazy. Rift engines not reappearing won't bother me but if their next base isn't based off a gimmick it'll irk me a bit. Have we ever gotten a reason why the bases for this lacks the translucent bottom?
#25 Posted: 19:55:01 25/01/2016
Oh yeah! I guess I should have elaborated... Only one game having a. Different base will drive me crazy. Rift engines not reappearing won't bother me but if their next base isn't based off a gimmick it'll irk me a bit. Have we ever gotten a reason why the bases for this lacks the translucent bottom?

Because their idea was to change as much as possible without changing too much.
Just look at the logo, the backgrounds, the cards... Everything has that "new and cool" vibe.
Well... To me it failed.

I'm kinda starting to see SuperChargers as some kind of "soft reboot" of the series.
Like... really soft, at least part of it.
Trap Team introduced the idea of gimmick figures which aren't characters, SuperChargers put them under the spotlight instead of the characters and it changed many things outside and inside the game.
I mean...
two main villains of the series apparently aren't a threat anymore

I'm still pondering over this and don't want to go off-topic but I'm quite curious about the future of the series from now on.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#26 Posted: 20:15:38 25/01/2016
Quote: Drek95

Just look at the logo, the backgrounds, the cards... Everything has that "new and cool" vibe.
Well... To me it failed.

I'm kinda starting to see SuperChargers as some kind of "soft reboot" of the series.
Trap Team introduced the idea of gimmick figures which aren't characters, SuperChargers put them under the spotlight instead of the characters and it changed many things outside and inside the game.
I mean...

I'm still pondering over this and don't want to go off-topic but I'm quite curious about the future of the series from now on.

Agreed on the "soft reboot" as I said above:

That's why I think they did it. They want to reboot the brand in a way. So you feel compelled more so to buy figures again.

I feel they should have been doing this for each game. It's super late to change them four sequels in.

But if they decide to go back to the original way things have been released (the bases with the translucent color as the final layer) then what was the point?
#27 Posted: 21:11:32 25/01/2016
I'd say there wasn't a point to begin with.
SuperChargers is filled with decisions which, whether bad or good, are pretty nonsensical.

That is just the tip of the iceberg.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#28 Posted: 21:12:08 25/01/2016

Well... To me it failed.

I mean...

It's not like a soft reboot wasn't needed. Its a welcome change. I think changing up the logo and background art is a very welcome change.

While poor decisions were made it's not like there weren't good ones. We got a lot of great things in SSC that could lead the way to great things. More dynamic story telling and changing up the game-play being the most notable.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#29 Posted: 21:51:10 25/01/2016
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Well... To me it failed.

I mean...

It's not like a soft reboot wasn't needed. Its a welcome change. I think changing up the logo and background art is a very welcome change.

While poor decisions were made it's not like there weren't good ones. We got a lot of great things in SSC that could lead the way to great things. More dynamic story telling and changing up the game-play being the most notable.

I understand your opinion but don't agree.
I loved the old bases, I loved the old backgrounds and I loved cards.
They worked for 4 game straights and now they suddendly don't work anymore?
Well, I never heard anyone complain about the old designs being repetitive yet I heard many others complain, now that they changed them.

I absolutely agree many decisions were good, and some were great.
Which ones were like that is mostly a subjective matter though.

I also feel like it's still pretty early for a reboot, even for a soft one.
They simply created discontinuity between the games by changing those details now.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#30 Posted: 22:08:44 25/01/2016
There's no discontinuity.It still works within the canon,and character development doesn't suddenly make it a reboot. It'd be pretty darn boring if the series' status quo was as hard as stone.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#31 Posted: 22:13:58 25/01/2016
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Well... To me it failed.

I mean...

I understand your opinion but don't agree.
I loved the old bases, I loved the old backgrounds and I loved cards.
They worked for 4 game straights and now they suddendly don't work anymore?
Well, I never heard anyone complain about the old designs being repetitive yet I heard many others complain, now that they changed them.

I absolutely agree many decisions were good, and some were great.
Which ones were like that is mostly a subjective matter though.

I also feel like it's still pretty early for a reboot, even for a soft one.
They simply created discontinuity between the games by changing those details now.

I have to say while I have heard complaints about some of the new game changes, I havent heard anyone complain about the logo or the new art backgrounds other than you. Most other people seem to feel positive about those changes.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#32 Posted: 22:16:21 25/01/2016
Quote: Bifrost
There's no discontinuity.It still works within the canon,and character development doesn't suddenly make it a reboot. It'd be pretty darn boring if the series' status quo was as hard as stone.

I was referring to the, let's say aesthetics when I said "discontinuity".
In other words, I hate looking at my collection and see such differences between this year's bases and the other ones or looking at the empty spaces left by the lack of new character's cards.
Of course what happens inside the games is a natural progression and that's should keep evolving as well as it did in SuperChargers.

The soft-reboot idea is that and all the various "external" changes.
But I admit it's a bit far fetched.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#33 Posted: 22:43:27 25/01/2016
The lack of translucent base is my big gripe. Just from trying to assist new players (and their parents). Green Base figures work in all games. Orange Base figures work in Giants - forward. Etc. Keeping it simple for them. This was an unnecessary change that just complicates things. :/
trixster68 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3813
#34 Posted: 23:00:51 25/01/2016
I think the bases suck. They need to just go back and follow suit the way they were. If I had a way to take all the chips out and change them to the older bases I sure would do that.
---
Havesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie37
#35 Posted: 23:29:10 25/01/2016
Quote: UncleBob
The lack of translucent base is my big gripe. Just from trying to assist new players (and their parents). Green Base figures work in all games. Orange Base figures work in Giants - forward. Etc. Keeping it simple for them. This was an unnecessary change that just complicates things. :/

Well, to be fair a color stands out just as much as a giant car engine. Thought it'll definately be an issue for the Elites.
---
#36 Posted: 23:43:17 25/01/2016
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: UncleBob

Well, to be fair a color stands out just as much as a giant car engine. Thought it'll definately be an issue for the Elites.

Yeah, the whole engine thing is yet another demonstration of V.V. idea of "new".
They apparently don't like subtle changes.

Don't want to sound like a broken record (and I won't repeat myself again, at least in this topic) but did Rift Engines really need to stick out like a sore thumb?
They could have been more elegant and bend better with their Elements.

That's what I don't like.
How everything needs to be shouted while it could have simply been said quietly.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:44:10 25/01/2016 by Drek95
StrikerEZ Red Sparx Gems: 37
#37 Posted: 05:10:51 26/01/2016
I don't really like them, in comparison to the old bases. On their own? Yeah, sure, they look pretty cool. But, once again, when you compare them, I definitely prefer the old bases MUCH better.

Quoting Drek95 above me: "...did Rift Engines really have to stick out like a sore thumb? They could have been more elegant and bend better with their elements."
Actually, in the concept art (that I've seen), that was the case. Why the heck they changed that? I have no clue; it looked so much better.
#38 Posted: 12:15:20 26/01/2016
Quote: StrikerEZ
I don't really like them, in comparison to the old bases. On their own? Yeah, sure, they look pretty cool. But, once again, when you compare them, I definitely prefer the old bases MUCH better.

Quoting Drek95 above me: "...did Rift Engines really have to stick out like a sore thumb? They could have been more elegant and bend better with their elements."
Actually, in the concept art (that I've seen), that was the case. Why the heck they changed that? I have no clue; it looked so much better.

Yep.
They looked much better in those concept arts.
Which, once again, seems to be another problem of the team. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Echo2VX Gold Sparx Gems: 2918
#39 Posted: 13:31:06 26/01/2016
I can't stand them. They don't look nearly as good. They fall over easier, because most of them now have a rounded back. And my biggest peeve with them, is that now the figures have a definite front facing position, which drives me insane sometimes!
---
Together, we can stop sheep abuse!
Top 10: smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie
#40 Posted: 02:17:14 27/01/2016
I don't mind the rift engines, they are cute and could be written off as "these are the Superchargers" (since nothing else separates them from the corelanders) just like Giants are bigger than all figures and have light up parts, SwapForce are bisected & magnetically match, and Trap Team's weak (as a concept) Traptanium weapon. I'm just missing the translucent bottom that has been on every figure useable in the game since it's initial release.

And let's not forget someone signed off on the change Drek, and considering the supposed amicable partnership TfB and VV have, I think TfB didn't mind them.
Iganagor Emerald Sparx Gems: 3544
#41 Posted: 04:40:38 27/01/2016
Yes...
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
1. Go to a beach - 2. Fall flat on the ground - 3. Recite Stunfisks fart-cry
4. Flop 618 times - You have a STUNFISK!
HuskerfanChuck Yellow Sparx Gems: 1225
#42 Posted: 01:58:00 28/01/2016
No, you're not the only one that loves them. I'd say the vast majority are a drastic improvement over the original designs that, to me, look like something done MS Paint and feel like what the first game was, the starter in a series. Undead was a vast improvement in style and looks to me, and glow in the darkisn't a big thing to me. I thought the light design in TT was cheap looking and like the look of Astroblast much better. But as others have said, essentially, each person has their own tastes regarding the style.
---
HuskerfanChuck

Repping the Light, Huskers, and Nebraska!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me