Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > I think No Man's Sky is going to fail.
Page 1 of 1
I think No Man's Sky is going to fail.
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#1 Posted: 14:45:24 15/01/2016 | Topic Creator
I am not convinced that the game is impossible to complete unless it's all randomly generated and people will grow tired of finding and exploring planets. As for never being able to complete the game, I'm sure data-miners will tell the actual limit of the game when it comes. The coverage and what we're told is completely vague much like Final Fantasy XIII, Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Watch Dogs and Destiny. Sources say that the built shown at E3 was a PC 'cus the PS4 version isn't running well, not that making it for PC is any better.

The way I hear about No Man's Sky, I won't suspend my disbelief. In fact, I'm letting my disbelief run free forever.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#2 Posted: 14:55:20 15/01/2016
This is a bit of a nonsensical argument. Having a limit or not, people are going there to explore, not to get some arbitrary number on their profile. I guess its multiplayer won't last for long because the hype will pass real quick,but failing is a huge stretch.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#3 Posted: 01:52:34 24/01/2016
Your point falls flat at the first sentence; they never said it was impossible to complete - to complete the game is to reach the centre of the galaxy but that doesn't mean the game ends there, you just keep going from that point.

And what do you mean that the coverage is vague? There are a number of videos of people playing the game online, showing raw footage straight from the game in real time. What's vague about that?
#4 Posted: 10:26:42 26/01/2016 | Topic Creator
It's all hand-off. Nobody actually was given the chance to play it. Are we even sure it's real time or just pre-rendered and scripted.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#5 Posted: 11:38:40 26/01/2016
Why would it be? They're indie devs, the publisher will throw them under the bus at the first sign of PR disaster. Can't just open yourself to a lawsuit lying like that.
---
#6 Posted: 14:38:13 26/01/2016 | Topic Creator
Are they? The games look too ambitious to be indie. Why did it need to be shown at VGAs of all places? Why is it shown in big conferences and talk shows like Destiny?
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#7 Posted: 15:04:12 26/01/2016
Too ambitious or not the right place for indie is kinda unrespectful. Just because they don't have an AAA budget, they must be lying? C'mon, this ain't crowdfunding.
---
#8 Posted: 15:15:37 26/01/2016 | Topic Creator
Just call it a gut-feeling. There's loads of games we've seen with little info and without getting our hands on before release. I've already mentioned these games in my first post above and I feel like No Man's Sky may end up joining them.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9242
#9 Posted: 20:38:35 11/08/2016
Bumping this because it's once again relevant. I just bought the game on Steam today, and I have a horrible feeling that it's going to be a piece of ****.

I mean, right from the start it was a certainty that it wouldn't be able to live up to the huge expectations set on it by the gaming community. What I'm afraid of is a Fallout 4 / Mass Effect 3 -tier failure.

I'm 100% prepared to get a full refund, but I want to see the game for myself first.
#10 Posted: 20:49:06 11/08/2016
Dunno, once you get through the mass of hate vs praise that is the game's current discussion, you do find the general opinion that it's hardly bad, but nothing special; most people definately complain that they expected the procedural generation to do more than what every other game did(read: get stale once you see the same assets over and over) but overall nothing's really broken or impossible to enjoy. Just not worth the 60 bucks.

That said I don't have the game nor any interest.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:23:13 11/08/2016 by Bifrost
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#11 Posted: 21:48:58 11/08/2016
Super boring game after the initial 2 hours. I wouldn't recommend it unless you find it on sale somewhere for like 20 bucks.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#12 Posted: 01:46:10 12/08/2016
The Joe Danger games (what the studio made before this) are still probably a lot better either way. Those games are awesome.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#13 Posted: 08:02:57 12/08/2016
Quote: bionicle2809
Your point falls flat at the first sentence; they never said it was impossible to complete - to complete the game is to reach the centre of the galaxy but that doesn't mean the game ends there, you just keep going from that point.

And what do you mean that the coverage is vague? There are a number of videos of people playing the game online, showing raw footage straight from the game in real time. What's vague about that?

Reaching center of the Galaxy ? Wasn't that a goal in spore Aswell

The game looks good as my friends play it hearing them makes game exciting
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
#14 Posted: 12:34:32 12/08/2016
Spore's fun wasn't on the center of the galaxy though, ot was probably the space battles and the Galactic Adventures expansion.
Which reminds me someone actually suggested this to compensate for No Man's Sky's lack of multiplayer. You can't find other players, but you cand find worlds, NPCs and minimaps they created and put them into the game.
---
#15 Posted: 16:21:05 12/08/2016
About an hour to go until I get my first taste of it. Let's see how it goes.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#16 Posted: 18:39:38 12/08/2016
wtf those beta males at hello games were on bbc news, its a shame the reporter didnt throw their game into the bin
#17 Posted: 18:58:03 12/08/2016
I sent Steam a refund request in less than 40 minutes after starting the game. Holy ****, what a mess!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:00:56 12/08/2016 by Samius
#18 Posted: 19:09:14 12/08/2016
i hope the indie survival genre dies soon
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#19 Posted: 20:19:16 12/08/2016
So has it failed yet? smilie
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#20 Posted: 20:20:05 12/08/2016
There's so many negative Steam reviews with 2.1 hours of playtime. Bums me out since I think you can't get a refund unless you played for under 2 hours
#21 Posted: 20:32:41 12/08/2016
Quote: Big Green
There's so many negative Steam reviews with 2.1 hours of playtime. Bums me out since I think you can't get a refund unless you played for under 2 hours

They made their choice.
#22 Posted: 20:40:37 12/08/2016
ahahahahaha apparently the PC version is just the ps4 version ported over
#23 Posted: 20:43:16 12/08/2016
Care to elaborate, Samius? I saw a lot of reviews(ok actually just Dunkey and a LOT of written ones), but it's good to see it from someone in DS.
---
#24 Posted: 20:57:42 12/08/2016
Quote: Bifrost
Care to elaborate, Samius? I saw a lot of reviews(ok actually just Dunkey and a LOT of written ones), but it's good to see it from someone in DS.

I didn't get to play it a lot, but I'll gladly share my thoughts. I'm playing Civ 5 right now though, so I'll post them a bit later.

Edit: Right, here goes:

First off, I never really expected No Man's Sky to live up to all the hype, so I was ready for a bit of a disappointment. I read a bit of what people said about the PS4 version, so I had something of an idea as to what I could realistically get out of my purchase. The main complaints that stood out in my mind had to do with the quality of the graphics and the lack of interaction with the game world. Personally I wasn't expecting an MMO, nor a space fighter simulator, I just wanted to see a well-made space exploration game that would be able to keep me going "Wow!" for a week or so.

Secondly, my experience with the game itself was very limited, since you can't refund a game on Steam if you've played it for longer than two hours. I had a brief go at it (about 30 min) and in that time I didn't even manage to repair the ship to get off the starting planet, so I can't say much about the space travel, the battles, and the little "story" thing going on with the Atlas. As far as I know your starting location is also completely randomized, so other players maybe haven't had the same problems with it than I had (my starting planet was extremely cold, and I started on top of a very steep mountain, making initial exploration a bit difficult).

My first impressions (as I was downloading the game) were that many people were having trouble getting it to work. They were experiencing multiple crashes, lag, severe FPS drops, etc. Many people were seemingly stuck in the opening screen without being able to start the actual game. Apart from some lagging I didn't experience any problems myself, and I figured that they would get fixed later anyway. Still, a crappy launch is a crappy launch.

Graphics-wise, it was exactly like the PS4 version. It looks nothing like in the promotional videos/pictures (surprise), even on the highest settings. Very disappointing, but it was to be expected.

Gameplay-wise.. Well.. The introduction was very awkward. The character just kind of "woke up" in the world and was immediately told to do things. About 5 seconds after gaining control of the character I was already directed to go harvest resources to fix some part of the ship. There was no real tutorial as to how all this was supposed to work.
As I was trying to navigate the strange UI and mining iron with my multitool, it quickly occurred to me that this was what the game was really all about. For a moment the horrible reality of it laid out before me, as clear as crystal: Hours upon hours of tedious harvesting to fuel your equipment to get to the other planet to harvest resources to get to the other planet to harvest resources to get to the other planet...

An infinite variety of procedurally generated environments couldn't trump the fact that most of my time playing this game would be spent slogging through endless landmasses, on foot, mining iron and plutonium.

Couple that with the likely fact that the environments, not having infinite variety, will likely all start looking very familiar as you approach your tenth or thirteenth planet, and the fact that there isn't much to do within the said environments except harvesting resources, AND the fact that the game looks like crap compared to what the marketing boys originally showed us, and BAM! You have yourself a boring ******* game, period.

I'm not pissed off about the multiplayer (or the lack of thereof), or the simplistic space battle AI (of which I've read several complaints), but the crafting kills me. If you have to make it such a huge selling point, at least make it about something other than digging. I really don't want to dig for hours.
I remember an old-ass indie survival sci fi game called "Notrium", that included crafting by having the player experiment by combining salvaged parts, creating all kinds of useful and exiting things. If I had to choose between that and digging, you would rather see me cut my balls off than dig up even one single unit of iron.

So yeah. For me, that was enough. For 20e I would've gladly bought the game and tried it out for a longer amount of time, but it's not worth 60e. And it didn't even work for half the people who bought it, for ****'s sake.

TL: DR - What I wanted was an epic, atmospheric, large scale space exploration game. What I got was a somewhat laggy space Minecraft with a strange crafting system and a strange visual design.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:25:06 13/08/2016 by Samius
#25 Posted: 01:35:22 13/08/2016
Oh yeah, the busywork is definately another one of the drawbacks of having survival, for the lack of a better genre for this game. Minecraft makes your digging worth it because you constantly get better ways and eventually you can just automate and speed up everything, even the digging itself with a good Efficiency enchant, or farm mobs for materials or the tools you need them for; even more with modded where you can literally just tell a machine to get a dozen chunks of blocks while you sit back and relax.
From what I've seen in NMS, it never gets any better with the caving situation, since the game forces you to land your ship where it wants. Dunno if any of the other parts have these upgrades eiher.
---
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#26 Posted: 06:50:41 13/08/2016
okay because bifrost wanted reviews from dS users i guess ill go for it

also i have the ps4 version, not pc

i bought this game not because ive been following it for a while, not because it really interested me, not because i wanted to see if it was a failure, but because im a stupid ***** who wanted to impress her crush who was really hyped for no man's sky. i really didnt have any expectations whatsoever.

when she told me it was a space exploration game with pretty much infinite planets, i got a little excited. ive always been a huge star trek fan and if i get to explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, and boldy go where no one's gone before, **** yeah, ill try your game. long story shot, i didnt really see "space minecraft" coming. samius is on the nose when he says its "space minecraft". theres no getting around it. thats literally what it is.

my starting planet wasnt nearly as unforgiving as samius's was, and i got off the planet in around 45 minutes. the manager at gamestop whos super chill told me to explore the rest of the system before warping out because otherwise itd be hard to get back, so thats what i did. i met some cute alien species called the gek and they loved money and i sold a ****load of iron to them. all of the planets had really similar flora and fauna and geological stuff but i figured "hey its in the same system maybe that's to be expected."

i warped to the next system once i was done and holy **** everything was the same. the plants were the same. the stupid spider things were the same. the stripey tentacles in the ground were the same. the rocks were the same. the only thing different was i didnt have to deal with radiation anymore, and there was a literal mountain of gold that i mined to hell before leaving. there was some new alien species that wasnt cute and wasnt nice but hey if i gave them my stupid iron theyd teach me the word for "interloper". apparently they use "interloper" in every sentence like its a greeting.

i found the space stations to be more interesting than the actual planets, the gek one was cool because it was a big pyramid and the other was a sphere with tons of spikes sticking out. the other starships alien traders had were pretty rad too but to get money you have to sell your soul to hello games itself and then some to even begin to afford the other ships. i would have honestly liked if i could get involved with the affairs of the aliens and learn about them, or learn more than one word of theirs, but the game again resorts to space minecraft. any possibility of cool alien interaction is cut by the impossible language barrier and the fact that they dont have much actual civilization.

theres not much to do, the landscape gets extremely repetitive, and it wouldve been nice if the aliens had some actual culture or something. once again, it boils down to "space minecraft" except its slightly better to look at. i appreciate the effort hello games put in to make no man's sky, i appreciate all they went through to get it out, but they should have focused more about planets and aliens being unique instead of randomly generated ones with the same assets.
#27 Posted: 09:39:32 13/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Well well well. Looks like the chickens have come home to roost.

I'm sorry for all the people who bought into the hype except for the cult-like fanatics, who went out of their way to attack websites for giving No Man's Sky a middling score nevermind low scores. I've seen fandom tantrums before and I had experience on both ends but never have I've heard this level of a ****storm. Attacking a website over a review score is censorship. Real censorship as in censoring criticism, not what entitled refer games being localised or edited.

I mean really!? No Man's Sky is a new IP, it had no proof it could have a fanbase yet. Hell, this is the kind of hype for new IP Ubisoft wanted. All was a missing was a pre-order figure of the iconic black diamond in the cover because Ubisoft loves to throw around the word iconic without regarding the meaning of the word.

Here what's I think happened.

NMS started as an experimental concept without a proper direction, then Geoff Keighly saw it and wanted to push it as the next big thing, something for Spike VGX 2013 despite all the douchebags there who didn't give a damn about games or gamers. And then Sony picked it up to push as a PS4-exclusive, given people a reason to buy a PS4 even though it was coming to PC as well. The people of Hello Games, excited by the praise, pulled a Peter Molyneux and promised everyone a dynamic universe without explaining what you do or what the end goal is. What they offer was actually a static choose-your-own-adventure survival game with crafting.

I'm glad I never bought into the hype. The hype is a lie. All hypes are lies. Huber Hype and Maximillian Dood build their entire careers on the concept hype, even after Aliens: Colonial Marines. They still displayed excessive hype even after Destiny. The hype must stop. The hype must die.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 10:00:19 13/08/2016 by StevemacQ
#28 Posted: 12:42:26 13/08/2016
You just barely missed the last ****storm then, StevemacQ, since FFXV season passes were the thing to whine about right before this came out.

I was talking about this with another user - you can't force hype. Either it comes naturally, or the company's gonna screw up somehow and create unrealistic expectations. Sony prorbably drove Sean Murray's reputation into the ground by making him some sort of saint that'll revolutionize space games... Though tbh, he isn't helping and clearly doesn't have the maturity to deal with the complaints. Shame, he was such a nice guy in the AMA, but I guess he was only chill while people weren't swarming him and the illusion was still up.
---
#29 Posted: 18:14:56 13/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Don't change the subject. We're not talking about season passes for a completely different game, we're talking about No Man's Sky and how it was never gonna live up to the hype. I certainly blame Geoff Keighly, Sony and the fans for turning the game into an unattractive tirefire but I don't blame Hello Games except for thinking it was worth charging €60. It's not that indie games shouldn't be priced higher than AAA titles, I rather if AAA games are charged based on their quality. Witcher 3 is worth €60 while every new Ubiworld would be €15.

No Man's Sky caused the biggest ****storm of them all when an entire website is hacked and taken down for giving said a 5/10. Was GameSpot ever hacked for given Twilight Princess an 8.8?

And the PC version is locked at 30fps like Batman: Arkham Knight. WOMP WOMP!
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#30 Posted: 18:25:13 13/08/2016
Wow, calm your farm. You said that there wasn't internet drama as big before this when there was. Not defending either.

The port is also apparently lacking crucial graphics support for some stuff, but even without it the game runs poorly.
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#31 Posted: 20:20:01 13/08/2016
So is it fair to say that this game was advertised as a space exploration game but was actually a Minecraft-style survival type game with a space setting? That's the impression I'm getting (didn't get the game, wasn't interested from the get-go).
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#32 Posted: 22:11:58 13/08/2016
Quote: HIR
So is it fair to say that this game was advertised as a space exploration game but was actually a Minecraft-style survival type game with a space setting? That's the impression I'm getting (didn't get the game, wasn't interested from the get-go).

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Even the actual space exploration is Spore-tier. You can't really interact with your environment in any meaningful manner, and all the planets are more or less alike.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:16:17 13/08/2016 by Samius
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#33 Posted: 15:36:01 14/08/2016
is there even a demo for the game? wanted to try it out but apparently due to awful optimization it may not work with my gpu
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#34 Posted: 19:04:43 14/08/2016
Quote: Samius
Quote: HIR

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Even the actual space exploration is Spore-tier. You can't really interact with your environment in any meaningful manner, and all the planets are more or less alike.

Ah, I see. That's unfortunate for the people who were very excited for this game. <.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
epicLLOYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1880
#35 Posted: 23:32:58 14/08/2016
More like no guy buy - Dunkey
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#36 Posted: 00:07:18 15/08/2016
I mean I knew it was going to end up being somewhat of a disappointment considering the game was never going to be able to live up to the insane hype it got but... WOW.

Is the PC version really Arkham Knight levels of broken?
---
Cool cool.
#37 Posted: 00:12:19 15/08/2016
Sony is backpedaling hard and got a QA team bigger than Hello Games itself to fix it, but currently, yes if you have the wrong specs(even if it's a high end one).
---
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12096
#38 Posted: 18:55:57 17/08/2016
Hello Games is the new Bethesda.

I've only seen several youtube vids, but the creature animation cycles and clipping is horrendous.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:07:00 17/08/2016 by Spyro Fanatic
#39 Posted: 20:46:17 17/08/2016
It still got best Steam launch of 2016 e_e' shows how hype is a vicious cycle; people are disappointed but they still preordered.
---
DS D Yellow Sparx Gems: 1565
#40 Posted: 23:22:30 19/08/2016
From CrowbCat, gentlemen and ladies: ;3

---
Yo, DEADASS?? BANANAS ARE DEAD???

(Former admin of TapL's Server.)
Epic popthorn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3277
#41 Posted: 20:37:05 02/09/2016
It was really fun for me for the first few hours then it just got repetitive and boring
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me