Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
About Defending [CLOSED]
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#1 Posted: 20:53:57 07/01/2016 | Topic Creator
Let's be serious with this. So it's so wrong to defend something? I just see that you can't beacuse you are "terrible person" if you do that, it's like: "How dare you to insert anything here defend this?!" Like really so it's so sick and wrong to do that?

Well discuss about this. Also no fighting or i close the topic.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:41:10 14/01/2016 by KeybasHedKey
RaymanTwilight Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#2 Posted: 21:09:47 07/01/2016
I think it depends on exactly what you're defending..
#3 Posted: 21:14:10 07/01/2016 | Topic Creator
But still it's not bad.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#4 Posted: 21:26:12 07/01/2016
Quote: RaymanTwilight
I think it depends on exactly what you're defending..

Quote: KeybasHedKey
But still it's not bad.

It entirely depends on what you're defending.
If you're defending a certain character you like or a game or show or even politics, I don't see anything wrong with it, but if you're supporting and defending stuff like rapists, neo-nazis, the KKK, ect., then there's definitely something wrong with it.
#5 Posted: 21:43:27 07/01/2016 | Topic Creator
I especially meant in media like games, TV Shows and stuff.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#6 Posted: 01:58:22 08/01/2016
There isn't anything wrong with defending a game or TV show that you like.

There IS something wrong with it, however, if you defend it to a point where you can't stand disagreeing opinions about that thing you like. And just because people have a differing opinion, that doesn't make them your enemies.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#7 Posted: 14:13:56 08/01/2016
I know that you're mostly referring to media stuff so yeah, I agree that it's stupid that sometimes people act like defending anything fictional is a crime. The common retort to defending something you like tends to be that "you must be autistic" or "you must be overly obsessed with it", just because these things are fictional, but people who say that are more than likely the ones who really have some sort of mental insecurity, or can't handle opposition themselves, and resort to petty insults as a cop out. At the end of the day, it's generally more than justified to defend something you like. It's honestly just human nature, I'd go as far as to say that if you haven't ever felt compelled to defend SOMETHING in your life (fictional or real), then you have either a lack of humanity altogether or a lack of life experiences.

But everything should come in moderation. For example, even if you like something and feel it's unfairly hated on or something, you still should acknowledge whatever flaws it has, especially if they are noticeable, objective ones. For example, in a video game, this could be something like a sometimes inconsistent frame rate or moments of slow down in an otherwise really well designed and fun, polished game, or maybe one specific character or set up being way too obviously overpowered in a competitive multiplayer game that is otherwise really fun, engaging, and balanced. These are the sort of objective things that should be addressed when critiquing or analysing something, no matter what your personal opinion on the overall product is. Subjective flaws should also be addressed if possible, especially those that obviously are causing or could cause a lot of controversy, even if you aren't bothered too much by them personally.

I also think it's important to distinguish when it's worth defending something and when it isn't, or at least when it's justified. If someone is mindlessly hating on something that you love, then yes, it's completely worth it to defend it, or you're at least justified. However, if someone is just making a healthy criticism on a minor detail or something, especially when they themselves express overall enjoyment of the product you love, then I think there is no real need to jump into a defense. If you still disagree with them you could maybe provide your perspective still, but overall, I would say not to try and make an argument or debate with it, just say "here's what I think but I ultimately understand what you think too, so let's just agree to disagree".
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 14:22:11 08/01/2016 by sonicbrawler182
#8 Posted: 08:47:46 11/01/2016 | Topic Creator
^So it's still bad...
whirlwind fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5748
#9 Posted: 09:45:36 11/01/2016
^So it's still bad...

Depending on the subject and how you go about it. Which in your case, it's Games and Media which is completely fine. Just don't bash others for having opposing opinions.
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6425
#10 Posted: 16:46:23 11/01/2016
In this forum hating skylanders is not tolerated and defending my point of view just cause me more problems.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#11 Posted: 23:36:05 11/01/2016 | Topic Creator
^Don't Start with this in this topic. smilie I don't want flamewars in this topic.

Quote: whirlwind fan
^So it's still bad...

Depending on the subject and how you go about it. Which in your case, it's Games and Media which is completely fine. Just don't bash others for having opposing opinions.

But it seems it's a major taboo to defend something in media.
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#12 Posted: 23:42:02 11/01/2016
^Don't Start with this in this topic. smilie I don't want flamewars in this topic.

Quote: whirlwind fan
^So it's still bad...

But it seems it's a major taboo to defend something in media.

What I've found out is do your research, whenever it's attacking or defending. If all you have is a few flimsy points, you'll just look immature. Also, know the breaking point when flame wars happen. Don't cause a giant war, and definitely don't insult others for liking something.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#13 Posted: 00:10:08 12/01/2016
^So it's still bad...

No, it's good but like everything else, should be done in moderation.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
whirlwind fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5748
#14 Posted: 06:37:47 12/01/2016
Quote: fyra
In this forum hating skylanders is not tolerated and defending my point of view just cause me more problems.

T___T
#15 Posted: 02:20:32 13/01/2016 | Topic Creator
^ Don't tempt him or her.
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#16 Posted: 22:30:39 13/01/2016
There's nothing wrong with defending things, just be ready to accept the fact that others will have differing opinions.
And as long as both sides can be mature about it and keep a cool head, there should be no prroblems.

Basically: Use common sense.
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me