darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > SuperChargers Opinion from a Seasoned Portal Master
Page 1 of 1
SuperChargers Opinion from a Seasoned Portal Master
GB700 Green Sparx Gems: 475
#1 Posted: 08:55:09 26/12/2015 | Topic Creator
So I have a vast army of Skylanders. I have everything from the first 3 games. Part of the fun for me was hunting and collecting the toys. However in Trap Team I saw here in the UK toys where hard to get. It took months to get a Kaos Trap and I cant find a light or dark pack anywhere. (Not paying stupid money on eBay). So I decided I was done with Skylanders.

As it happened however I got SuperCharges as a Christmas Gift. I have only played a little and have to say I am not impressed. My four main gripe's with the game are.

#1 - You can not play as trapped villains. We have spend a ton on money on Traps and wow, we get a Skystone, making our collections of traps useless.

#2 - The control of the vehicles is rubbish. Mine go no everywhere but where I am trying to go.

#3 - The adventure pieces and weapons from previous packs are useless, wow we get a legendary treasure. Making toys useless in the game and again wasting our money.

#4 - No story continuance. I mean HELLO..... we have Kaos trapped in a Traptanium Trap, so how on earth is he back?? No explanation of how he escaped the trap.

In my opinion Swap Force is the best game from the series. I feel the series is dying and feel to revive it they need to do the following when making the next game.

#1 - Make a massive adventure in the Skylanders 6.
#2 - NO NEW TOYS TO COLLECT
#3 - Make all gimmick landers have special area's in the game.
#4 - Make all traps playable again.
#5 - Same with magic items.
#6 - Online PVP battle areans.
#7 - Online Co-Op
#8 - Survival Areanas (Like Swap Force)
#9 - Bring back Heroic Challenges.
#10 - Original Skystones (Better than Skystones Smash)
#11 - Shock & Bolt Locks and Imp Locks.
#12 - In game Bank to transfer coins between toys.
---
SWAPS smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
LC smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
CORE smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 11:29:14 26/12/2015
The game doesn't but should tell you, but the story has a prequel comic which explains everything, people have posted it in full on Youtube for easy reading. Also continuance doesn't sound like a real word and I don't think it is in this context.

On controls, you sure you don't have them set as analog and button and not just button? The latter is the default and most agree it sucks even for driving game veterans since the gameplay is very watered down on vehicles.

No new toys means the collectors will whine all day in here with good reason (some more than what they already do), nooo thanks.

And online co-op and challenges are already in this game and the new Skystones isn't Smash? You played the entire game before giving this review,did you?
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 11:50:14 26/12/2015 by Bifrost
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#3 Posted: 12:43:10 26/12/2015
Quote: Bifrost
No new toys means the collectors will whine all day in here with good reason (some more than what they already do), nooo thanks.

To be fair, this is a battle Activision will *NEVER* win. The collectors whine about everything. ;)
#4 Posted: 12:54:36 26/12/2015
Yeah, but most will be content with getting all the figures and official variants, if there are neither, it'd just be a flamewar of epic proportions no one wants to see, especially since some will be even more butthurt over a 'fool me twice' after this game.
---
Jello Green Sparx Gems: 422
#5 Posted: 14:28:45 26/12/2015
No new toys to collect? No thanks! That's half the fun.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#6 Posted: 14:43:16 26/12/2015
Quote: GB700
#2 - NO NEW TOYS TO COLLECT
#7 - Online Co-Op
#10 - Original Skystones (Better than Skystones Smash)
#11 - Shock & Bolt Locks and Imp Locks.

#1 - Good idea.
#2 - Terrible idea.
#3 - Good idea.
#4 - Good idea.
#5 - Good idea.
#6 - Eh, I don't know if it's possible at this point given how many Skylanders there are, but I'd love to be wrong on that.
#7 - Already in Superchargers, but I doubt it'll go anywhere.
#8 - Good idea.
#9 - Good idea.
#10 - Don't really care about Skystones...
#11 - Don't really care about those either.
#12 - Good idea.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#7 Posted: 19:34:39 26/12/2015
Toys are a necessary part of Toys to Life. It would be nice if they produced just one new core of each element (priced at $9.99) plus Giants/Swappers of the light and dark elements, but seeing as Activision decisions never make sense and they are extremely profit-driven, we'll see another subpar game with a highly overpriced gimmick ($15-16) plus overpriced one-and-done plastic accessory (like traps/vehicles) which will be the death of Skylanders.
#8 Posted: 19:54:03 26/12/2015
Only one new core of each would then get the fans of character gameplay,which are already getting more hits than what collector complains make it seem because of the lack of skylander PVP and the kinda worriying increasing amount of expies(the Ignitor clones keep on coming ._.) despite the fact there's plenty of gameplay methods to explore. I think the Giants lineup sans reposes hit the right balance; 8 gimmick guys, 8 cores... Or 10 now with new elements. You have 10 limited by the gimmick so it's not overused and bland,10 with no such thing where you can go all out with the design.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:54:38 26/12/2015 by Bifrost
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#9 Posted: 21:03:11 26/12/2015
A seasoned portal matter? For some reason in my head I got an image of Chef Pepper Jack doing his best
"New Orleans Cajun, Justin Wilson" impersonation by dousing you with some cayenne pepper and other southern seasonings. I guarantee that no one knows the reference I just made unless they are over 35.

But yeah the others already said everything I could say about this. I suppose a plus is that nothing seems insanely rare this year unless you are after variant figures which there are nearly one of for each character. But as a whole I think most people are dissapointed or tired of the series and sales are beginning to show this.

I personally went back to finishing collecting Swap Force instead of bothering with SuperChargers. I got my Splat and that was really one of the few bright spots of the series for me. I'm having doubts about collecting most SC characters as I really don't want to replay SC any time soon or in the near future and I'm not feeling confient that Sky 6 will be much better due to poor sales of the last two series leading to less effort and money put into the next one.
---
Stay Cool!
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#10 Posted: 16:25:23 27/12/2015
I agree that Swap Force was the best Skylanders game. I feel that the series was at its peak with that one. It's the one I enjoyed the most, it had the best gimmick, and it feels like you got the most for your money with that game.

I haven't played my copy of SuperChargers yet. Although I'm sure I'll enjoy it, I still don't think it will beat Swap Force for me. Trap Team sure didn't.

I think what's ruining these games is Acti's outright greed. I agree that they should have kept traps playable. It wouldn't have been hard, even if there were no new villains to trap. But instead, Acti expects you to buy these "trophies" to play the characters you've already trapped and paid for... basically giving a finger to the fans and portal masters like me that have been with this series from the very beginning. It's the one thing I know I hate about this game so far (that and the fact you need to rely on third-party sources like eBay just to simply get the other starter pack figures... I want my Spitfire! ;( )

I'm sure it will still be a fun game, but Acti's moneygrab decisions just make the game that much more frustrating to me. Other people here would agree with me.
---
Purple dragon.
#11 Posted: 16:35:57 27/12/2015
Trophies aren't the traps. In fact, Land doesn't have a single previously playable villain, and the others have only one. The real problem is that traps don't even give you the AI racers since those are clearly fully coded in but Acti couldn't be bothered to even make money in some way with them. So yeah, it's not greed,it's laziness or what's safer to do.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:36:18 27/12/2015 by Bifrost
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#12 Posted: 16:48:26 27/12/2015
Honestly, since TfB is doing the next game, I'd be seriously disappointed if we couldn't play as the villains again in some way outside of multiplayer modes... I WANNA PLAY AS MY GOLDEN WAIFU DANGIT.

But I also think they've backed TfB into a corner with how much they stressed the importance of vehicles in this game. I mean, this is the first Skylanders game where the concept is downright needed in order to progress (you didn't have to trap villains in Trap Team and the swapping in Swap Force was only really for collectibles, and even then you didn't have to do it). So unless they decide to either bring back racing or rip off LEGO Dimensions with what they did with vehicles, I'm betting a lot of people are once again going to feel jibbed.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Zeke_D Blue Sparx Gems: 822
#13 Posted: 13:44:01 28/12/2015
I'll also chime in that SF was the peak of Skylanders. It was the last game that I collected every single toy. I think TT is still the worst skylanders game. Out of all 5 games, it is the only one I haven't 100%'d the story mode, and I don't really care if I do. I'd have to rank SC second-worst, but a massive improvement from TT. I'm sure the vehicles will not be used moving forward, and all my magical items no longer working is a huge drag. I also don't care for the absence of backwards compatibility on the reposed Superchargers. I know they're supposed to be all-new figures, but one of the cool things, was using my reposes on previous games - it gave the old games more replay value.
troma Blue Sparx Gems: 514
#14 Posted: 04:22:41 30/12/2015

#7 - Online Co-Op

Activision should hire you as a consultant.
#15 Posted: 12:07:03 30/12/2015
Nooooo some of those ideas aren't exactly the best.

But they should poll us sometime legitimately. Not "omg whose your favorite skylander", I mean " do you prefer competitive or one-on-one PVP?" or "Should levels be more focused on puzzles, action or evenly split?" etc etc.
---
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#16 Posted: 16:50:07 30/12/2015
Quote: troma

#7 - Online Co-Op

Activision should hire you as a consultant.

The only way gimmicks "come back" now is if the gimmick is tied to the skylander itself. I think stepping outside of a giant or swapper type of gimmick is that you're bound to create dissent--ie look at #4 and the fact that vehicles have a VERY remote chance (I'd say less than 10% probability) of coming back. Traps will never come back, that was a game specific gimmick, same for vehicles. If they make them skylander based, you'll be future proofed.

Heroics do not scale, but I would like a revamp that the skylander properly remembers and rewards your work as "future proof". It was a real slap in the face to see our skylanders basically reset to default levels (please dont talk to me about the paltry gains they coded). Quests can and probably should continue, Basically the training arena in this game is this version of quests and heroics...however they focus only on the new guys.

#12 will never happen, but I think every game needs a gold gimmick and VV just patched the only real chance this game had of providing decent easy gold.

#6-#8...I think everyone can agree that PvP misses two games in a row is a huge miss, especially since online was provided to us.

Magic items have always been compromised in successive games in the series....not sure where the OP has been.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:52:09 30/12/2015 by TakeYourLemons
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me