Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
It's Funny. [CLOSED]
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#1 Posted: 03:37:13 08/12/2015 | Topic Creator
I know SOME gamers complain about the prepensity of developers/publishers to release uber serious games and Rated M games all the time. At one point in video games' history however, they didn't exist. Arguably from 1960's to the early 1990's, you rarely, if ever, saw any mature games. Then the mid-90's hit, and with the release of Mortal Komat, DOOM, Wolfenstein, etc, games started diversifying. Video games weren't seen as just "kid" things anymore. With technology advancing, games have become more expansive, and more detailed. As such, games of all creeds got better, in terms of colors, tones, depth, serious-ness, and matureness. I love games of all creeds, whether it'd be Spyro or GTA. There's a place for both. And sure, games of more mature stature are getting released, but there was a time where they weren't.

Basically, whether you're playing Mario, Sonic, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto, etc, enjoy it. If you hate serious, mature games, don't chastise people that do.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:37:47 08/12/2015 by JCW555
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 11:21:54 08/12/2015
Well, too bad that a ton of people that do like them treat other games as baby stuff and demand that everything you put in a console has to legitimize their maturity in some way. Gritty reboots are pretty much proof of that.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#3 Posted: 12:39:07 08/12/2015
^ Pretty much this. It annoys me how Sony and Microsoft fanboys dis Nintendo for stupid reasons. Last time I checked Nintendo own the 1st and 2nd most popular game franchises in the world; Mario and Pokemon.

It also saddens me that as a result of this trend, there is hardly any platformers or 'family' games (best way I can describe them) made by western companies anymore, or generally by any company outside Japan. I kind of wish there was more of a diversity. Since because I've never been into the 'hardcore' games, it means currently I have to constantly go to Nintendo, yet when I was little I never used to do that because western companies had Spyro, Crash, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Croc, Rayman, etc.

And I'm not a fan of the gritty reboots ether. Although there are some that are pretty good. I've heard that the Tomb Raider reboot is really good and Lara Croft in that one seems like a really great character.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:00:59 08/12/2015 by DarkCynder_543
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#4 Posted: 14:10:53 08/12/2015
Well, because it's a reboot with effort. It's not just taking a family friendly franchise and sucking out all the colors and fun just because, like Bomberman Act Zero and friends.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#5 Posted: 15:21:35 08/12/2015
Well, I like when family-friendly games get a more dark/mature approach, but only if it's well made. Examples include Sonic Adventure 2, Pac-Man World 3, Epic Mickey, and, at a certain degree, Skylanders: SuperChargers.
---
Bruh
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#6 Posted: 22:22:41 08/12/2015
Quote: Crash10
Well, I like when family-friendly games get a more dark/mature approach, but only if it's well made. Examples include Sonic Adventure 2, Pac-Man World 3, Epic Mickey, and, at a certain degree, Skylanders: SuperChargers.

^ Those are good examples. Those games were my Childhood.
When games go in those directions, without gore/profanity, unneccasary violence, They can make a positive impact. When done terribly, you get Shadow the Hedghog.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:31:29 08/12/2015 by Bryman04
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#7 Posted: 23:31:27 08/12/2015
Shadow the Hedgehog was good smilie
---
words. letters. filler.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#8 Posted: 01:16:18 09/12/2015
Epic Mickey could have been well made, but it failed because apparently they showed it to some person but to their surprise the person was like 'DON'T RUIN MY CHILDHOOD!!!!11', so they made the evil route less dark and took out Mickey's evil version of his character model. I think the game in general was supposed to be darker (not like, blood and extreme violence and ****, just more darker in general), but wasn't due to restrictions.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:48:05 09/12/2015 by DarkCynder_543
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#9 Posted: 01:28:46 09/12/2015
but muh halo
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#10 Posted: 22:08:43 09/12/2015
Quote: DarkCynder_543
Epic Mickey could have been well made, but it failed because apparently they showed it to some person but to their surprise the person was like 'DON'T RUIN MY CHILDHOOD!!!!11', so they made the evil route less dark and took out Mickey's evil version of his character model. I think the game in general was supposed to be darker (not like, blood and extreme violence and ****, just more darker in general), but wasn't due to restrictions.

Well, I thought Epic Mickey was charming and dark just the way it was. But I understand what you mean. I am dissapointed that they removed the Scrapper Mickey, Warren Spector loved it because it reminded him of Evil Mickey from his childhood favorite Runaway Brain, (which I have on video smilie) I also saw the concept art on DeviantART, and I think I know what you mean about how dark the game was actually supposed to be, which I wouldn't have minded. But at least this game turned out, which is horrible.
and terrible smilie
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#11 Posted: 22:55:31 09/12/2015
^ Pretty much this. It annoys me how Sony and Microsoft fanboys dis Nintendo for stupid reasons. Last time I checked Nintendo own the 1st and 2nd most popular game franchises in the world; Mario and Pokemon.

It also saddens me that as a result of this trend, there is hardly any platformers or 'family' games (best way I can describe them) made by western companies anymore, or generally by any company outside Japan. I kind of wish there was more of a diversity. Since because I've never been into the 'hardcore' games, it means currently I have to constantly go to Nintendo, yet when I was little I never used to do that because western companies had Spyro, Crash, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Croc, Rayman, etc.

And I'm not a fan of the gritty reboots ether. Although there are some that are pretty good. I've heard that the Tomb Raider reboot is really good and Lara Croft in that one seems like a really great character.

This entire paragraph.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#12 Posted: 23:34:39 09/12/2015
Quote: Bryman04

Well, I thought Epic Mickey was charming and dark just the way it was. But I understand what you mean. I am dissapointed that they removed the Scrapper Mickey, Warren Spector loved it because it reminded him of Evil Mickey from his childhood favorite Runaway Brain, (which I have on video smilie) I also saw the concept art on DeviantART, and I think I know what you mean about how dark the game was actually supposed to be, which I wouldn't have minded. But at least this game turned out, which is horrible.
and terrible smilie

I personally like Epic Mickey (I not finished it yet), but yeah, there are some ideas that would made it better. I understand the reasons why Scrapper Mickey was scrapped (get it?), but it would be a good idea.
---
Bruh
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me