Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Yo-Kai Watch All Purpose [CLOSED]
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#1 Posted: 02:56:40 07/11/2015 | Topic Creator
Talk about the anime, the toys, but mostly the "new" 3DS game (Ok it's a 2013 game that we just got over here for 3DS, STILL COUNTS AS NEW!)

And before I get a bunch of salty comments
ITS NOTHING LIKE POKEMON!!!!!! Just like Digimon is nothing like Pokemon
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:05:52 13/12/2015 by Windumup
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#2 Posted: 03:26:36 07/11/2015
2011? The game came out in 2013 in Japan...
---
words. letters. filler.
#3 Posted: 03:34:46 07/11/2015 | Topic Creator
Someone told me 2011 for some reason. Editing OP
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#4 Posted: 04:47:59 07/11/2015
do i buy?
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#5 Posted: 05:03:58 07/11/2015
don't it'll end up with digimon.

And digimon is better than this ****
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
#6 Posted: 05:16:26 07/11/2015
Quote: ZapNorris
do i buy?

Try the Demo. It's a fun game from what I've seen, but don't go in expecting it to be exactly like Pokemon. It has the many differences but just go through some reviews for the game.

(And ignore Sleepy, he's just a negative **** about this game lmao)
---
words. letters. filler.
#7 Posted: 12:07:10 07/11/2015
Quote: TacoMakerSkys
do i buy?

Try the Demo. It's a fun game from what I've seen, but don't go in expecting it to be exactly like Pokemon. It has the many differences but just go through some reviews for the game.

Wanna see my reasons?

-Looks like a IPhone game

-Fart Yo-Kai

-Trying to overtake Pokèmon
---
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#8 Posted: 15:21:24 07/11/2015
I played the demo. It's okay, I guess, but... Are there any COOL Yo-kai that aren't boss only Yo-kai? Or do they all pretty much suck?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:21:51 07/11/2015 by MugoUrth
#9 Posted: 20:28:55 07/11/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: MugoUrth
I played the demo. It's okay, I guess, but... Are there any COOL Yo-kai that aren't boss only Yo-kai? Or do they all pretty much suck?

Cadin and Dimmy are pretty cool, early game though and I haven't seen a lot of yo-kai (watching a lets play of it) so there may be something better later.
---
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#10 Posted: 21:17:00 07/11/2015
Quote: Sleepy0429
do i buy?

Wanna see my reasons?

-Fart Yo-Kai

- I don't see the resemblance.

- Oh yes, Pokemon is much above that level of bad design. How could anyone forget such great characters as Trubbish?

Pokemon has it's fair share of badly designed creatures. It's not Yo-Kai exclusive.

- Just like Shovel Knight is trying to overtake Mario. Just because they're similar doesn't mean they're trying to 'overtake' anything.
#11 Posted: 22:20:27 07/11/2015
Quote: LunarDistortion

Wanna see my reasons?

-Fart Yo-Kai

- Oh yes, Pokemon is much above that level of bad design. How could anyone forget such great characters as Trubbish?

Pokemon has it's fair share of badly designed creatures. It's not Yo-Kai exclusive.

- Just like Shovel Knight is trying to overtake Mario. Just because they're similar doesn't mean they're trying to 'overtake' anything.

-"u has to match tiles to attack powerfully!!!"

-I agree but atleast there wasn't one that had a butt for a face

-Those two still have A LOT of differences In Yo-Kai you have to capture/befriend other monsters/people LIKE Pokemon. Take down bosses LIKE POKEMON. See where I am at? Also marketing is garbage in the US.
---
#12 Posted: 06:01:27 08/11/2015
do i buy?

Wanna see my reasons?

-Fart Yo-Kai

1: Of course, it's a Level-5 game
2: Look at the ****ty designs that get ridiculed in Pokemon. A ****ing Trash Bag is about the same as a fart.
3: No it's not. It's similar, but it's in no way taking over Pokemon.

You have such trash arguments and no real opposing factors for this game. No reason to take your opinion seriously at all, seeing as you're a troll.
---
words. letters. filler.
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#13 Posted: 13:46:38 08/11/2015
YES

MWAAHAHAHA

I CAN FINALLY RULE IN A GAME

Now. First, I must take down Sleepy. As the owner of both games (there's is a second in Japan, and a third has been revealed) I will first say that...a few you said are factually wrong. "Match tiles"? What? Not even close...what do you mean by that? Befriending monsters. Yes, you do that, but it's more of a mutual relationship that is formed when the Yokai gives you it's medal, not over time after you shove it into a ball. Also the mechanics are different. Then, bosses. 99% of the bosses in this game are TRULY evil. In Pokemon, 75% (roughly) are just better version of trainers you encounter over your adventure (gym leaders). One more thing, Yokai Watch has ALREADY beat Pokemon in it's HOME FLIPPIN' COUNTRY. Not that that helps my argument, but it's not exactly trying to anymore.

Next, all of the others. Drawdler, if you truly want a better experience/storyline, I would say wait. MugoUrth, I don't know exactly how far the story goes in the demo, but basically stronger=cooler in this game. Wait for Orochi, Kyuubi, and the cast of S-ranker that will eventually come your way.

Ahh, feels so good to actually talk about this game.
---
^This might be sarcasm.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#14 Posted: 15:12:19 08/11/2015
i'm gonna get this.
#15 Posted: 15:29:17 08/11/2015

Wanna see my reasons?

-Fart Yo-Kai

No... just no. Trubbish is WAY more pleasant than Squeakycheeks. Heck, I think Trubbish AND Garbodor are kind of cute to be honest.
#16 Posted: 15:32:46 08/11/2015

Wanna see my reasons?

-Fart Yo-Kai

No... just no. Trubbish is WAY more pleasant than Squeakycheeks. Heck, I think Trubbish AND Garbodor are kind of cute to be honest.

Agreed
---
#17 Posted: 15:38:15 08/11/2015
Quote: Windumup

Cadin and Dimmy are pretty cool.

Quote: The Bone Chompy
One more thing, Yokai Watch has ALREADY beat Pokemon in it's HOME FLIPPIN' COUNTRY. Not that that helps my argument, but it's not exactly trying to anymore.

MugoUrth, I don't know exactly how far the story goes in the demo, but basically stronger=cooler in this game. Wait for Orochi, Kyuubi, and the cast of S-ranker that will eventually come your way.

I guess for a bug Cadin's kind of cool, but eh.

Dimmy's not really that cool.

Orochi shows one thing I hate about most monster training games not named Pokemon. What I liked about Pokemon was that ALL of the monsters were, well, MONSTERS. They were NOT just humans given a cool name and magic powers and then passed off as monsters. Even when a Pokemon took on a slightly human design, they were still obviously not human. Orochi is just that, he's a human passed off as a monster.

Kyuubi's... also okay, but honestly I'd rather have a good bulky design, and almost all of the bulky monsters in the game are boss only.

A lot of the monsters in S-rank also fall under the "Humans passed off as monsters" category.

As far as the demo goes, most demos let you keep playing even after you beat all the levels, but the demo itself ends when you lose to the purple sludge boss after finding the three naughty Yokai she asked you to find.

Sorry, but that demo didn't convince me to buy the game. The gameplay's okay, but I'm not hooked on it. I'd argue Pokemon is still a better game overall as far as gameplay goes.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:39:11 08/11/2015 by MugoUrth
#18 Posted: 15:55:16 08/11/2015
Quote:
Orochi shows one thing I hate about most monster training games not named Pokemon. What I liked about Pokemon was that ALL of the monsters were, well, MONSTERS. They were NOT just humans given a cool name and magic powers and then passed off as monsters. Even when a Pokemon took on a slightly human design, they were still obviously not human. Orochi is just that, he's a human passed off as a monster.

Gardevoir...
---
#19 Posted: 16:45:41 08/11/2015 | Topic Creator

One more thing, Yokai Watch has ALREADY beat Pokemon in it's HOME FLIPPIN' COUNTRY. Not that that helps my argument, but it's not exactly trying to anymore.

MugoUrth, I don't know exactly how far the story goes in the demo, but basically stronger=cooler in this game. Wait for Orochi, Kyuubi, and the cast of S-ranker that will eventually come your way.

Kyuubi's... also okay, but honestly I'd rather have a good bulky design, and almost all of the bulky monsters in the game are boss only.

A lot of the monsters in S-rank also fall under the "Humans passed off as monsters" category.

As far as the demo goes, most demos let you keep playing even after you beat all the levels, but the demo itself ends when you lose to the purple sludge boss after finding the three naughty Yokai she asked you to find.

Sorry, but that demo didn't convince me to buy the game. The gameplay's okay, but I'm not hooked on it. I'd argue Pokemon is still a better game overall as far as gameplay goes.

Cadin gives me a ninjask kind of feel (Ninja cicada) and I like ninjask anyways.

Oh and to anyone that says Trubbish was bad design, we always had something equally as terrible aka Muk. There will be at least a few terrible designs in the capture creature to fight genre.
---
#20 Posted: 17:37:16 08/11/2015
Quote:

Gardevoir...

Even Gardevoir was still obviously not human.

Cadin gives me a ninjask kind of feeling (Ninja cicada) and I like ninjask anyways.

Oh and to anyone that says Trubbish was bad design, we always had something equally as terrible aka Muk. There will be at least a few terrible designs in the capture creature to fight genre.

Fixed.

Edit: ...No, actually I think the word "feel" might have been used correctly that time. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people use "Feel" in place of "Feeling," and I see it so much now it's hard for me to tell when the word "feel" is being used correctly or not.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:35:32 08/11/2015 by MugoUrth
#21 Posted: 19:32:14 08/11/2015

Remember, remember, remember, that these ARE NOT monsters. They are ghosts. And you know what? In all cultures, HUMANS CAN TURN INTO GHOSTS. Orochi is a prime example, non-canonically, but still, it makes perfect sense. And honestly, until the second game, Orochi is the closest ing you can get to a human.
---
^This might be sarcasm.
#22 Posted: 19:37:30 08/11/2015

Remember, remember, remember, that these ARE NOT monsters. They are ghosts. And you know what? In all cultures, HUMANS CAN TURN INTO GHOSTS. Orochi is a prime example, non-canonically, but still, it makes perfect sense. And honestly, until the second game, Orochi is the closest ing you can get to a human.

...If these creatures are "ghosts" then that is a VERY liberal take on them. How could most of the monsters in the game be the ghosts of stuff?

Regardless, Ghosts technically are monsters.
#23 Posted: 19:56:56 08/11/2015
How did the non-humans become monsters then?
---
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5391
#24 Posted: 20:18:41 08/11/2015

when will this self hating i hate my own kind tumblr meme die
---
BREATHE AIR.
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#25 Posted: 21:07:02 08/11/2015
I'm trying out the demo, and for the life of me I can't figure out the combat. Am I just stupid, or is the only way you can attack these soultimate attacks?
---
Dead
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:52:26 08/11/2015 by mega spyro
#26 Posted: 21:48:23 08/11/2015
How did the non-humans become monsters then?

Abandonment, death, loss of something strong to them. A ****ing hat became a Youkai because the owner abandoned it for another hat.
---
words. letters. filler.
#27 Posted: 01:52:07 09/11/2015

...If these creatures are "ghosts" then that is a VERY liberal take on them. How could most of the monsters in the game be the ghosts of stuff?

Point 1:The same can be said for the Pocket Monsters.
Point 2:Yokai MEANS GHOST in Japanese.

Quote: mega spyro
I'm trying out the demo, and for the life of me I can't figure out the combat. Am I just stupid, or is the only way you can attack these soultimate attacks?

They attack on their own, and you rotate the circle to optimize your attacks.
---
^This might be sarcasm.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:52:28 09/11/2015 by The Bone Chompy
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#28 Posted: 03:51:17 09/11/2015

I noticed that, but really? That's the only way they attack? (besides the soultimate attack)
---
Dead
#29 Posted: 14:07:06 09/11/2015

I noticed that, but really? That's the only way they attack? (besides the soultimate attack)

Well...yeah. They have both a melee and Jutsu attack. I think you can't command them for the feel of "you are not capturing them, they're your legit friends".
---
^This might be sarcasm.
#30 Posted: 15:33:54 09/11/2015

It means demon, but whatever. Ghosts are still monsters.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:03:54 09/11/2015 by MugoUrth
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#31 Posted: 17:23:36 09/11/2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C5%8Dkai
http://hyakumonogatari.com/201...ean-in-english/

It's both, really. Yokai are supernatural creatures that can't be explained through normal means. This can be demons, but ghosts and unnatural phenomena can be considered yokai. They also can be human-like in appearance and are not necessarily all bizarre monstrous apparitions. Hell, Yuki-onna is a somewhat popular yokai that the Pokemon Froslass is based on takes the form of a human woman.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:25:48 09/11/2015 by Seiki
#32 Posted: 20:08:58 09/11/2015

[User Posted Image]
- - -
---
words. letters. filler.
#33 Posted: 23:37:01 09/11/2015

[User Posted Image]
- - -

Look in Seiki's link. Youkai doesn't specifically mean "ghosts."
#34 Posted: 00:22:01 10/11/2015

[User Posted Image]
- - -

It's still technically ghosts smilie
---
words. letters. filler.
#35 Posted: 01:20:45 10/11/2015

[User Posted Image]
- - -

“mysterious phenomena," could be many things, not just "ghosts." So no, it's NOT technically ghosts. Also the topic is about Yo-Kai Watch, not the definition of Youkai.

What do people think of the actual game? Is there any real strategy to it, or is it just "the strongest attacks wins?"
#36 Posted: 01:45:04 10/11/2015

“mysterious phenomena," could be many things, not just "ghosts." So no, it's NOT technically ghosts. Also the topic is about Yo-Kai Watch, not the definition of Youkai.

What do people think of the actual game? Is there any real strategy to it, or is it just "the strongest attacks wins?"

You were the one who started the whole debate on what it means lmao.

--------------------
I don't believe there is a whole strategy other than focusing on which Yo-Kai specials to use and the effects of them.
---
words. letters. filler.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#37 Posted: 04:42:41 10/11/2015

The thing is, ghosts are yokai. The second and third links I posted prove this. Yokai can be divided into 4 main categories, Kaiju, Choshizen, Yurei (GHOSTS), and Henge.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#38 Posted: 15:24:29 10/11/2015
Quote: Seiki

The thing is, ghosts are yokai. The second and third links I posted prove this. Yokai can be divided into 4 main categories, Kaiju, Choshizen, Yurei (GHOSTS), and Henge.

But it doesn't SPECIFICALLY mean ghosts, which is kind of the point I was trying to make.

I don't believe there is a whole strategy other than focusing on which Yo-Kai specials to use and the effects of them.

That's what it felt like when I played.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:25:22 10/11/2015 by MugoUrth
#39 Posted: 02:50:23 11/11/2015
Quote: Seiki

But it doesn't SPECIFICALLY mean ghosts, which is kind of the point I was trying to make.

That's what it felt like when I played.

It's doesn't really matter what it means anymore...sure, it takes some elements from other game(s) and that's that.

And tbh, not that I'm mad or anything, but you guys are seeing the battle system like how one would see the Pokemon battles in-game. (Without looking at EVs, etc.) The Yokai have "natures", which not only controlles gained stats for something (HP, Melee, Jutsu, Guard, aka Defense, and Speed), but also affects what the Yokai does in battle (荒くれ, or (roughly translated) "Violent", makes the Yokai do nearly nothing but melee attack. 道じない, or "Unmoving" makes the Yokai guard all the time, and so on. And in competitive play, which is sadly near-nonexistent in the first game, your Soultimate (what you guys mean by "specials", I guess) starts out not charged at all and is nearly non-viable (the second game is a HIGE improvement, trust me on this one).

All in all, combining a melee attacker, a healer, and a wall (literally) or tank in the first half and a Jutsu attacker, a healer, and another wall/tank is the best way to go in this game.

Huge explanation over smilie
---
^This might be sarcasm.
#40 Posted: 03:10:23 13/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Bump as a new all purpose almost started
---
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#41 Posted: 05:03:09 13/12/2015
I'm getting the game for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to it. I enjoyed the demo and the battle system is different. And the anime is really great too, but I stopped watching it since it seems to follow the game's story quite faithfully so I don't want my game to get spoiled.

I highly recommend it.

And Komasan is the best.

do i buy?

Wanna see my reasons?

-Fart Yo-Kai

You know, it really annoys me that whenever a game has creatures that aren't human in it, people instantly think 'OMG IT'S COPYING POKEMON I HATE IT!!!'.

Pokemon does not own the monster creatures genre, or whatever those games are. Yo-kai Watch is a good series in it's own right and it's not like Pokemon. The battle system isn't turn based for one. The Yo-kai fight on their own and you pretty much just make sure they don't die. The game has done very well in Japan and sells just as much copies as Pokemon. In fact, it outsells Pokemon currently. And the anime is really good, way better than the current Pokemon anime. And the series generally has really good humor in it as well, better than Pokemon's attempts.

And unlike Pokemon, the Yo-kai all have their own unique personalities and you truly get to know them before befriending them. And they're nothing like Pokemon because they're spirits; they've already died once. And humans can become Yo-kai.

People need to stop dissing games like these just because they're not Pokemon. This is why the Pokemon fandom can get annoying in the west. Digimon died in the west because of it, and Digimon came before Pokemon, but got the short end of the stick because it wasn't as popular.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 05:22:06 13/12/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#42 Posted: 15:12:55 14/12/2015
Quote: DarkCynder_543
I'm getting the game for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to it. I enjoyed the demo and the battle system is different. And the anime is really great too, but I stopped watching it since it seems to follow the game's story quite faithfully so I don't want my game to get spoiled.

I highly recommend it.

And Komasan is the best.

Wanna see my reasons?

-Fart Yo-Kai

You know, it really annoys me that whenever a game has creatures that aren't human in it, people instantly think 'OMG IT'S COPYING POKEMON I HATE IT!!!'.

Pokemon does not own the monster creatures genre, or whatever those games are. Yo-kai Watch is a good series in it's own right and it's not like Pokemon. The battle system isn't turn based for one. The Yo-kai fight on their own and you pretty much just make sure they don't die. The game has done very well in Japan and sells just as much copies as Pokemon. In fact, it outsells Pokemon currently. And the anime is really good, way better than the current Pokemon anime. And the series generally has really good humor in it as well, better than Pokemon's attempts.

And unlike Pokemon, the Yo-kai all have their own unique personalities and you truly get to know them before befriending them. And they're nothing like Pokemon because they're spirits; they've already died once. And humans can become Yo-kai.

People need to stop dissing games like these just because they're not Pokemon. This is why the Pokemon fandom can get annoying in the west. Digimon died in the west because of it, and Digimon came before Pokemon, but got the short end of the stick because it wasn't as popular.

Thank you. This game is pretty cool, anyone suspicious about it should take a look at gameplay.. Especially the final boss. I mean, that thing isn't even fit for an American kid's game.
---
^This might be sarcasm.
#43 Posted: 23:42:21 14/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Btw guys I got a new legend recently (Komashura) and I can't wait for the Jewelyans to come to the U.S. I MUST HAVE ALL THE JEWELYANS!!!!!!!!!!! They are soooo good smilie
---
#44 Posted: 00:07:58 15/12/2015

I highly recommend it.

And Komasan is the best.

Wanna see my reasons?

-Fart Yo-Kai

snip

Thank you. This game is pretty cool, anyone suspicious about it should take a look at gameplay.. Especially the final boss. I mean, that thing isn't even fit for an American kid's game.

lmao I'm not looking at the final boss. I don't want myself to get spoiled. If it's going to be creepy, then I will wait for it in the game so that I can get the full experience. xD

Also I saw a screenshot of a doctor in the game trying to sell the player 'medicine', saying that they should come at night since there is too many people around. Sounds like drugs.
Yeeaaahhhh such a kids game guys!!

Seriously though, all these Pokemon fans need to go to the Pokemon topic and stay there. No one wants to hear about your pokemanz in a topic that has nothing to do with it and you're just acting immature. And honestly, Yo-Kai Watch is more like the game Ni No Kuni, which was also made by Level-5. Just let Yo-Kai fans (and Digimon fans for that matter) be left alone to talk about their games without freaking Pokemon fans waltzing in and demanding paragraphs of why they should play the game and why it's different to their precious pokemon.
I'm a huge fan of Pokemon myself and it's one of my favourite franchises, yet I can still love this game.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:17:46 15/12/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#45 Posted: 05:30:55 16/12/2015 | Topic Creator

I highly recommend it.

And Komasan is the best.

snip

lmao I'm not looking at the final boss. I don't want myself to get spoiled. If it's going to be creepy, then I will wait for it in the game so that I can get the full experience. xD

Also I saw a screenshot of a doctor in the game trying to sell the player 'medicine', saying that they should come at night since there is too many people around. Sounds like drugs.
Yeeaaahhhh such a kids game guys!!

Seriously though, all these Pokemon fans need to go to the Pokemon topic and stay there. No one wants to hear about your pokemanz in a topic that has nothing to do with it and you're just acting immature. And honestly, Yo-Kai Watch is more like the game Ni No Kuni, which was also made by Level-5. Just let Yo-Kai fans (and Digimon fans for that matter) be left alone to talk about their games without freaking Pokemon fans waltzing in and demanding paragraphs of why they should play the game and why it's different to their precious pokemon.
I'm a huge fan of Pokemon myself and it's one of my favourite franchises, yet I can still love this game.

While I wont spoil anything of the hospital part the doctor of what I remembered just wanted to operate (forgot why we were investigate the abandoned hospital though) on the player. I can't say much more without spoiling it big time
---
#46 Posted: 06:08:01 16/12/2015
oh okay. i guess i was completely wrong about that part lmao.
---
#47 Posted: 21:50:16 17/12/2015
gonna buy this soon

tips?
---
#48 Posted: 01:14:14 18/12/2015 | Topic Creator
gonna buy this soon

tips?

Abdallah Smash has an entire playlist of tips and tricks, just look him up on youtube
---
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#49 Posted: 03:30:29 20/12/2015
I'm not gonna lie I thought I was gonna hate this franchise, but I'm starting to like this series for what it is. I really like Cadin, Dimmy, Negatibuzz and yes even Wazzat. He seriously reminds me of the Mad Hatter's hat and that is super cool in my book. I get why people are being disrespectful to the franchise, but please give it at least a fair trial and then give it your final verdict. I like the medals and hope to see some more wacky and amazing designs in the future.

Also the Yokai being based on the many Japanese cultural creatures on so many levels is very interesting and I can enjoy the localization of all these crazy creatures. Yes I don't like Cheeksqueak anymore than anyone else, but the majority are still lovable and man do these things have personality I give them that.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me