Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Does This Rule Your Life?
Page 1 of 1
Does This Rule Your Life? [CLOSED]
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#1 Posted: 23:15:35 26/10/2015 | Topic Creator
I don't know if I've seen a topic like this, and even if it has, I need to get the message across about how I feel. I have been with Skylanders day one, all the way back to SSA. And I love it, I truly do. But when Trap Team was released, I started to realize what exactly I gave up on so that I could collect all the Skylanders figures I wanted. And now I feel like that I miss those more than I love Skylanders.

I have lately been hearing around my life how we should not be addicted to anything of the world, and by that definition, do not feel like that you are restrained by something you do. With Skylanders, all of my allowance money for the past five years has been going toward the figurines, with only Christmas and my birthday getting other things that I wanted. And this year I would have to sacrifice Christmas in order to get all of Superchargers by the end of May. And in the past, with my previous and ongoing love, Pokémon, I have never had to do that. I never had to devote all I had to Pokémon, just to get everything that I wanted from it with worry of the items disappearing. I could buy things at my own pace, and enjoy it for many years. With Skylanders, I'd be lucky for it to last until the last wave of Skylanders came out, just mere months after the games initial release.

Also, just today it revolved around the same topic, only this time, do you feel you put something above something more important? With Skylanders, now that I think about it, it does. I have put all of my decisions and my money revolving around this: Will I still be able to get all of them by X date? I have never had that thought until Trap Team.

Of course, there are popular forum answers, such as "You don't need to get them all" or "Skylanders is the best! Why would you think that?". With Trap Team, I didn't originally want it, but then I slowly wanted to have it , and then caved. This year it's different; I have already finished the main story and most of the stars for Superchargers, and it doesn't feel like that I accomplished anything, or even, made it worth it.

Skylanders, for the past five years, has ruled my life, as I had dropped one of my most loved things since I was a kindergartner, abandoned the fact of splitting my money and not getting all of the figures, and letting the plastic of a franchise-milking company decide where my green went. I realize that now, and think that I should stop. I love the series, it is one for the ages in my opinion. But honestly, I don't accomplish anything except having a shelf full of greed. One of my main reason for buying the figures, that it was for the family to play with as well, no longer applies. My extended family doesn't really care about Skylanders anymore. Neither does my direct family.

The main point is, unless you truly feel good about what you're buying, and that it is not impeding on other things that may give you more value, feel free to buy Skylanders. But I have the feeling that we have some dark times ahead, with many of these rumors around the world. My mom especially been preparing, buying many things that she feels that will be necessary. She even bought many pairs of boots, too many for my family of six to use. When I asked, she said that she had a feeling that other people will need them in the future. I want to be able to take care of my two parakeets by buying more birdseed for them, and I'm considering to buy a solar powered charger for my 3DS, so that I can enjoy it even without main power. Consider this. Is Skylanders overtaking something that is more important in life?
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#2 Posted: 23:23:51 26/10/2015
Any addiction is bad if it rules your life.Seriously here, I would look for help if you really feel ruined when you're not planning around collecting, even just a psychologist to tell you the better way to fill that with other things. Hobbies should never overrule the essential things.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#3 Posted: 23:24:22 26/10/2015
What are you even talking about with "there are some dark times ahead" and then talking about socking up on boots? I'm assuming you're talking about some apocalypse, but to be honest, you lost me there.
---
Dead
#4 Posted: 00:39:11 27/10/2015 | Topic Creator
I mean, not necessarily an apocalypse, but just people who will need a lot more than just sneakers to do some harder labor for instance.

Anyways, it never ruled my life in a sense that I couldn't be without Skylanders. I don't feel ruined now even. I was just in an intense feeling of wanting the series. Besides, right now my parents also give me all the essentials for life. I just feel like that Skylanders has ruled over my entertainment side, my personal allowance, for a bit too long for a bit too much.
---
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#5 Posted: 01:27:47 27/10/2015
"My skylanders talk to me, I don't care what my therapist says."
#6 Posted: 12:12:13 27/10/2015 | Topic Creator
It isn't an addiction like that. Not all of them are so bad as drugs or smoking. In fact, according to your example above, that wouldn't be an addiction, just some insanity. I just feel that I have devoted my money for much too long towards Skylanders, and nothing but. I missed out on other great games because of how I bought the series. I'm just thinking that I should stop being so reliant on Skylanders for that, and move on to other things.
---
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#7 Posted: 01:15:33 07/11/2015
Sometimes I think if Skylanders is the right direction of my money. I don't have regretted for any of the things I don't buy to economize for the figures, but sometimes I think if I should stop buying Skylanders and saving money for more things (Wii U is still waiting for me). After all, I feel that buying Skylanders was not a bad decision. I have that thing of "all or nothing". I buy all the figures or I not buy the series after all. But I feel that Skylanders doesn't is a monetary problem for me. I just buy the figures with patience. I'm still in SA, after all. But I can wait more than 2 years to have all the figures for each game.
---
Bruh
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me