Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Legend of Spyro Malefor or Skylanders Malefor
Page 1 of 1
Legend of Spyro Malefor or Skylanders Malefor [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 08:46:21 07/10/2015 | Topic Creator
We've seen how Malefor was portrayed and introduced in the Legend series, and recently this year we discover how completely different his Skylanders counterpart is. Now that we've come to know how both Malefors are like in their own universes, which one do you prefer the most?

Legend of Spyro Malefor
  • Revered as the first purple dragon ever born
  • Harnessed the power of the Elements
  • Turned to evil and waged war against his own kind
  • Corrupted Cynder into his devoted servant
  • Believed the destiny of the purple dragon is to destroy the world

Skylanders Malefor
  • First purple dragon
  • Has currently no known origin
  • Crowned himself the Undead Dragon King
  • Had been living in the underworld for centuries
  • Corrupted many Skyland inhabitants to do his bidding, including Cynder
  • Seeks to rule Skylands as its king as he believes he is the only one fit to rule it
  • Extemely arrogant; doesn't like the idea of anyone with a status above his own and wants to be the greatest and most powerful of them all
  • Constructed steampunk armor to patch himself together after his battle with Hex
  • Can be cowardly when on the verge of defeat
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#2 Posted: 09:15:56 07/10/2015
No matter wich universe, I like him always. I can't pick smilie
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#3 Posted: 11:03:11 07/10/2015
Is that even a contest? LOS Malefor has no personality and might as well be the Edgelord of Prophecy. I'd rather love to hate a villain than just hate. Then again, LOS Malefor didn't actually get well finished in Étranges Libellules' hands according to Jared Pullen, so maybe if Darkest Hour happened we'd have an actual good villain.
But even then, dragon robot Doctor Doom, who's the size of an entire castle, and has a metal lance whip tail. No contest.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:57:29 07/10/2015 by Bifrost
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#4 Posted: 16:44:55 07/10/2015
Oh, Skylanders Malefor all the way. LoS Malefor was just pathetic, annoying, literally incomprehensible, and really dumb (I mean that literally; he's an idiot). At least Skylands Malefor has some personality and is a clever enough villain to have a real scheme (and also has motivation for his actions instead of just being all "Blarg I'm evil because!").
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#5 Posted: 18:48:48 07/10/2015
Skylanders Malefor of course.

Legend Malefor...just eh...he is not THAT Great as people say.
#6 Posted: 20:29:41 07/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Razz
Oh, Skylanders Malefor all the way. LoS Malefor was just pathetic, annoying, literally incomprehensible, and really dumb (I mean that literally; he's an idiot).

All that buildup in TEN of what he is, butchered by the rushed story of DotD... tragic...
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#7 Posted: 20:30:35 07/10/2015
Skylanders. Honestly there's literally no contest here.

Well unless you're type of person who is basically the edge lord and likes all things over rated edgyness.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#8 Posted: 20:34:01 07/10/2015
Quote: Aura24

All that buildup in TEN of what he is, butchered by the rushed story of DotD... tragic...

Even in TEN though he was just the usual Dark Overlord cliche; yes a well designed and explained one,but still just a bit of standard fare(say Kaos versus movie Sauron in depth; one is more interesting as a character and the other is more interesting as a plot device). From the questions Jared Pullen answered it seems they were still going to expand him in Darkest Hour, but not sure if it'd go too far from that.
---
TheReptileGirl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1197
#9 Posted: 20:58:46 07/10/2015
While I liked the Skylanders Malefor's personality WAY better, I fell in love with LOSMalefor's design. I thought he looked awesome (aaaaand maybe a little ugly, like really, a single horn in the middle of his head?) SkyMalefor's design was a little iffy for me, but it had a pretty creative intake no doubt.

I was really excited to actually confront Malefor is LOS, but it was so short and disappointing it kinda killed it for me. Again, personality was blah, but his design was killer.
---
It's a no from me.
#10 Posted: 21:08:44 07/10/2015
Skylanders Malefor originally didn't look too different from the original(he was just a sickly-looking/pale pink and his horns are all light yellow instead of having varied colors), he's just so mutilated and burned that what's left is under armor Who knows, if he finds some source to regenerate his missing tail and wings from, he could very well go back to looking like that.
---
#11 Posted: 02:54:23 08/10/2015 | Topic Creator
TEN design -
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

DotD design -
[User Posted Image]

Skylanders Malefor design (before Hex battle)
[User Posted Image]

SkyMalefor (after Hex battle) -
[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:37:41 08/10/2015 by Aura24
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#12 Posted: 16:44:20 08/10/2015
I haven't read any Skylanders comics but I'm pretty sure Skylefor is better. Now if they could maybe get him in the games...?
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#13 Posted: 16:50:27 08/10/2015
He snuck in as a cameo in Superchargers, which to be fair wouldn't have him with a full appearance since Fico Ossio designed him probably at the start of the year and by then the story was done because of the 2-year development time. But in the future, hopefully...

By the way,did anyone notice TEN Malefor has a scar? Here's something that for sure would've made the non-EL version of his design stand out more,it's like his eyebrow cracked in half.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:55:06 08/10/2015 by Bifrost
TTD Hunter Gems: 6229
#14 Posted: 18:49:20 08/10/2015
Malefor was introduced in the comics near the end of Trap Team's development (just before production of Sky 6) So it's a possibility, the (Superchargers spoilers)
Ending of SuperChargers seemed like a perfect end to the Kaos arc, I'd love for him to return in the next game but as an arrogant NPC like how he appears post game in Superchargers.

As for which Malefor I prefer, the skylands Malefor by a long shot. I love the idea of him being, essentially a parasite, feeding off of the week such as Calliope and Cynder in her early years. I also really like his redesign, the steampunk armour really does give the impression that he's a battlescared, villainous warrior which is perfect given his aim and personality.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:54:00 08/10/2015 by TTD
#15 Posted: 19:17:06 08/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
By the way,did anyone notice TEN Malefor has a scar? Here's something that for sure would've made the non-EL version of his design stand out more,it's like his eyebrow cracked in half.

Wow...!! I never even noticed you pointed it out. And when I looked at a walkthrough on TEN of the statue of Malefor in the shrine within the Well of Souls, he does bear a scar over his left eye. D:

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:39:13 08/10/2015 by Aura24
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#16 Posted: 23:19:14 08/10/2015
Quote: Bifrost

Wow...!! I never even noticed you pointed it out. And when I looked at a walkthrough on TEN of the statue of Malefor in the shrine within the Well of Souls, he does bear a scar over his left eye. D:

[User Posted Image]

That Version of Malefor would haved been an interesting character...if they didren't changed the Developers.
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#17 Posted: 23:24:44 08/10/2015
I just wonder what TLOS Malefor would've been like had it not been rushed..

idk, I suppose Sky-Malefor is more developed, and TLOS is more of a "lost-potential".
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#18 Posted: 23:45:33 08/10/2015
It's a tough draw. I don't have much experience with Skylanders Malefor but while he seems to be better executed, he also seems like the sort of generic "I'm evil and I want to take over the world because" children's villain. Even in your description I don't see much motive behind why he does it outside of he thinks he's the best and just wants to.

LoS Malefor meanwhile believed that the destruction of the planet was the destiny of purple dragons. That his rare breed was to be akin to the Four Horsemen and bring about the apocalypse. A twisted view of his own origins and that by destroying the world he's fulfilling his purpose (and failing to do so leaves him worthless).
That said they messed it up in several ways but most namely the performance. They didn't need to layer those effects on Hamil's voice.

LoS Malefor was a better idea in concept that got botched in execution. Skylanders Malefor seems like good execution of a relatively simple concept.
#19 Posted: 00:01:52 09/10/2015
His motive,according to David(writer for the VV games), is that he's a huge selfish jerk and has extreme "sharing issues" related to being the strongest and most powerful ,so everything must by right be below him or something along those lines. He embraces being the source of corruption and chaos much more than LOS Malefor,mostly to prove that he's better than any of the weaklings he's overpowering. It could change from his wording to a game,though.

Also LOS Malefor's whole prophecy thing just sounded made up just to spite Spyro. There's never any credence to having that 'great cleansing', because he could've just summoned The Destroyed LONG ago when he was busy pulling a mountain out of the ground, and he seems to have spent more time just trying to take over the world before that. There's also very little proof of corruption in the games that's not his to give him any moral ground to stand on.

It's more what's done right from what you have vs. done wrong from what you attempted. A villain that's simple but done right is better than trying to reach for the skies but failing the first mile, imho.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:06:03 09/10/2015 by Bifrost
TheReptileGirl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1197
#20 Posted: 00:25:17 09/10/2015
DOTD if it wasn't rushed would have explained what Malefor truly was, but unfortunately we only got to hear his dialogue for 8-10 minutes in game, then battle him for another good 15-20 minutes. As much as I loved the art style and everything in DOTD the dragon (and please PLEASE don't lecture me or shoot me down for liking it) the story was far too cut short. Malefor had so much potential to be such a great villain, especially his build-up in ETN, but they really screwed over the finale and just made it a kind of generic kind-of-game.

We can only learn about LOSMalefor from snippits of the games themselves and quite honestly some fan-speculations.
---
It's a no from me.
Digolgrin Green Sparx Gems: 285
#21 Posted: 00:51:46 14/10/2015
From a writer's perspective, LoS Malefor is certainly my favorite, since he's such a perfect template to work with. I understand that he's not the best villain--in fact, I admit that his only defining trait was how he basically planned the entire trilogy's events--but that can easily be changed just by working with his past a bit.

However, considering Skylanders Malefor's underlying mystery--his connection to Spyro--I actually prefer him to LoS Malefor in every way. I just wish he could usurp Kaos in earnest!
#22 Posted: 17:28:43 14/10/2015
Quote: Pinkie the Pie
In my opinion Skylanders just spawned another way to steal money from kids parents which is probably why Disney AND Nintindo jumped on the band wagon. And to be honest the classics were way more creative, of course once again in my opinion.

And that has nothing to do with Malefor and both of his incarnations.
---
#23 Posted: 17:28:56 14/10/2015 | Topic Creator
You missed the whole point of this topic, Pinkie. This topic is about Skylanders Malefor and Legend Malefor.
---
PatShot Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#24 Posted: 03:43:43 10/11/2015
I thought legend Malefor was bad, but Skylanders Malefor is pure evil.
---
"Laugh it up, Fuzzball."
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#25 Posted: 10:21:44 10/11/2015
Legend, cause I know jack **** about Skylanders Malefor. :P
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#26 Posted: 11:02:52 10/11/2015
Well, we give a pretty good introduction a few posts above.
I don't know about Sky Malefor being pure evil. He looks like a Mega Satan, yeah, but it feels more love to hate to have a villain with some human "qualities" like cowardice and pettiness to put him a few steps away from eldritch abomination.
---
#27 Posted: 20:07:31 10/11/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: parisruelz12
Legend, cause I know jack **** about Skylanders Malefor. smilie

Wait, you know jack **** about him, or you don't know jack **** about him?
---
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#28 Posted: 20:24:28 10/11/2015
Quote: parisruelz12
Legend, cause I know jack **** about Skylanders Malefor. smilie

Wait, you know jack **** about him, or you don't know jack **** about him?

Don't know.

My baad~
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#29 Posted: 15:14:36 11/11/2015
I like The Legend of Spyro version of Malefor more than the one from Skylanders, although I enjoy his armored version as well.
PatShot Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#30 Posted: 02:55:53 24/11/2015
I've seen a lot of villains in my time. But Malefor is the most worse villain i have ever seen!
---
"Laugh it up, Fuzzball."
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me