Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Spyro Fans! Y u no art? [CLOSED]
QueenChrysalis Green Sparx Gems: 465
#1 Posted: 10:18:03 03/10/2015 | Topic Creator
I was on one image sharing site (Not going to say which because reasons) and went to see if their were any images tagged "Skylanders". All the images fit onto one page (42 images, to be exact).

I looked up "Friendship is Magic" to compare, since they have been around for roughly the same length of time, and there was almost one hundred thousand images! And that's just on this one website!

Now obviously MLP is way way WAY more popular than Skylanders/Spyro, but 42 images is still only about 10.5 images every year!!! Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but can somebody please explain why Spyro fanart is so hard to find? I only used this site as an example because it's much easier to work out the full volume of images, so maybe there's more on other sites.

Additionally... Now I'm not trying to offend anybody here, I'm just being honest, and I myself am a writer, not an artist because I suck **** at drawing... I find a rather high discrepancy in the general level of quality of this art as well. Most Spyro fan-art I've been able to find has either been... Lacking in realism..? (Please don't kill me!) and the few skillfully made images I HAVE seen still don't hold up to the same standards (sometimes it's pretty obvious that the image is a scan of a hand drawn image, for example). This is, of course, ignoring all the stuff that was clearly made in MS Paint...

---

But yeah, like seriously. Is there some massive well of high quality Spyro fan-art that I've been missing this whole time or..? The reason I ask is because, to me, Skylanders just seems to be a series begging to have a huge fanworks base. But it doesn't, and that is terribly upsetting to me! In fact, it's the REASON I'm working on a Skylanders fanfic RIGHT NOW!
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 13:21:40 03/10/2015
There's a Fanart board up there.
Trying to rally people for fanart doesn't work when most are kids, lazy, or have work. I can barely do the occasional piece in between my actual work and even then it stops getting traction after the first 2 days since people only seem to look at the dA group posts and that's it. 'Sides, the kids favoriting my art aren't exactly paying me in anyway(and 'exposure' isn't 10 favs and a comment), so I have no incentive to fill a quota or something.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me