Page 1 of 1
Trap Team for the 3DS?
CelesteInk Blue Sparx Gems: 595
#1 Posted: 08:46:34 07/09/2015 | Topic Creator
I never thought I'd even consider asking this question, as I've heard such awful things about the 3DS ports of the games. About a week or so ago however, I found Swap Force on 3DS for $10 unopened, and I bought it specifically for the Volcanic Eruptor (since I didn't have any Eruptor yet) and I found myself absolutely loving the 3DS version! Sure, it definitely didn't compare to the console version of Swap Force, but it was fast and fun from start to finish. The dashing, double jumps, and air attacks made this so much better than it could have been.

In the end, I had so much fun, and Gill Grunt, Stealth Elf, and Chop Chop became instant favorites for the port. My real problem with this was the stages were a little too straightforward, there was hardly any replay value, there were no mini games or arenas, and even no heroic quests or bonus missions.

So... how good is the handheld Trap Team, and does it improve on what Swap Force for the 3DS did? I would really like to experience more Skylanders on the 3DS if they're all this awesome, but I just want more replay value and content... so, a few questions on the handheld Trap Team.

How long would a single playthrough last?
Are there mini games, how many are there, and are they worth going back to?
Is there a Nightmare difficulty?
Are the elemental gates frustratingly locked only to Trap Masters like the console version, or do they act more like the previous games and open to *anyone* of that element?
How is the difficulty? Is it a breeze like the 3DS Swap Force, or does it ask for some strategy like the console Swap Force?
And lastly, are there bonus modes? Survival arena? Bonus missions / heroic challenges? Score and time attack (done like Swap Force)? Even that Kaos challenge?
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5683
#2 Posted: 12:25:08 07/09/2015
I myself have played the 3DS version, and would be glad to answer.

A single play through would last a good few hours at least, at least for me to collect all the Skystones and 3 Star every level and bootcamps.

There are some minigames. There's Skystones, which is practically the Skystones from Giants, and a few in-level activities to enjoy, and the Adventure packs aren't true levels, sort of like an arena. Not much besides that really.

No there is not a Nightmare difficulty. I wish there was though.

No, the Elemental Gates were only locked to Trap Masters in the console versions, and they shouldn't have been considering how sudden it was. The 3DS version made no such change.

I would say the difficulty would be so-so. For me, with my vast collection of Skylanders and my experience with past 3DS versions, it was rather easy on even hard. Easier than Swap-Force in my opinion, but I think my experience helps make my not so reliable. If there was a Nightmare difficulty, I would have taken it. But believe me, you WILL run into frustrating areas. Won't mention the particular one, as it has to do with the story.

Well, there are those things in the Adventure packs, they have different goals you have to complete, so they make me think of Bonus Challenges from Swap-Force, although they don't grant any kind of boost. And there are Time Challenges in Trap Team as well, some requiring good skill to complete unless you had memorized the levels. No Doom Challenge, Score Mode, or Heroics here.

As a side note, the Villain Mechanic would have been better in this version if you could play as the Villain you chose to stick around in the bottom screen in a level, but instead you can send them out briefly, and they will attack enemies in their own unique way, under AI. Besides that, palying with them with you screen does get boring after a while.

While I don't think it was as challenging as Swap-Force 3DS, or having as good of a story, I still find it refreshing to 3 Star then entire game. Even if since then, I haven't played it again.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#3 Posted: 01:24:02 11/09/2015
IMO, worse than SA and SF 3DS, but still much better than Giants 3DS (which I think is the absolute worst game in the series aside from Battlegrounds).

The main things that bothered me were the minigames, which are all clunky and gimmicky (the ones where you tilt the system are the worst- controlling them barely works) and the villain fights (which you have to replay and watch cutscenes for every time you go through a level). Also, the world structure (standard level -> villain level -> repeat until boss level) gets repetitive. Overall, feels slow because those bog it down, but it still has a couple of neat environments and most of the levels are decently designed.

For reference, I think SA 3DS and SF 3DS are great and I loathe Giants (it was a terrible step down after SA, bland and buggy as hell). I think TT is just very average. There's some neat stuff, though it doesn't have any major additions or improvements from SF, while adding more fat. I beat it a long time ago, but I haven't gotten 100%, unlike the others. The 3DS games were getting samey and this one wasn't particularly good.
It's SF > SA > TT > Giants for me, with a big gap after SA, which oddly enough is very similar to my ranking of the console games (SF > SA = TT > Giants).
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 01:49:37 11/09/2015 by Arc of Archives
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#4 Posted: 02:18:31 11/09/2015
Quote: Arc of Archives
The main things that bothered me were the minigames, which are all clunky and gimmicky (the ones where you tilt the system are the worst- controlling them barely works) and the villain fights (which you have to replay and watch cutscenes for every time you go through a level). Also, the world structure (standard level -> villain level -> repeat until boss level) gets repetitive. Overall, feels slow because those bog it down, but it still has a couple of neat environments and most of the levels are decently designed.

This is how I feel about it as well. I never got around to beating it, while all the others I had. It just didn't seem worth finishing as it was too repetitive and got dull really fast. It ended up being a chore to play rather than fun.
---
Stay Cool!
#5 Posted: 21:52:28 11/09/2015 | Topic Creator

For reference, I think SA 3DS and SF 3DS are great and I loathe Giants (it was a terrible step down after SA, bland and buggy as hell). I think TT is just very average. There's some neat stuff, though it doesn't have any major additions or improvements from SF, while adding more fat. I beat it a long time ago, but I haven't gotten 100%, unlike the others. The 3DS games were getting samey and this one wasn't particularly good.
It's SF > SA > TT > Giants for me, with a big gap after SA, which oddly enough is very similar to my ranking of the console games (SF > SA = TT > Giants).

I might just go with Spyro's Adventure on the 3DS then, since I don't have Ignitor or Dark Spyro. Would you say even with the risk of disliking the game itself, the two figures (already have a Stealth Elf) are worth the purchase?
#6 Posted: 22:14:29 11/09/2015
Not really, honestly. Dark Spyro is very good on the 3DS (unlike on console, they gave him a different moveset), but Ignitor is pretty lacklustre on both 3DS and console. But if you find it for really cheap like $15 or something then I guess so. I bought some extra copies for $14 and made a little extra reselling the figures from it, a couple years ago, but I don't know how much it goes for now.
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5337
#7 Posted: 23:35:36 11/09/2015
I enjoy Ignitor, but the one that comes with SSA 3DS is the Series 1 version. You'd be better off getting the Series 2 version so he has his Wow Pow.

Anyway, you can buy SSA 3DS for under ten bucks by itself (See ebay listings: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-...&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1). The portal you have from Swap Force 3DS will work for it, so you don't even need to worry about whether it comes with a portal.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#8 Posted: 05:38:12 13/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Muffin Man
I enjoy Ignitor, but the one that comes with SSA 3DS is the Series 1 version. You'd be better off getting the Series 2 version so he has his Wow Pow.

Anyway, you can buy SSA 3DS for under ten bucks by itself (See ebay listings: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-...&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1). The portal you have from Swap Force 3DS will work for it, so you don't even need to worry about whether it comes with a portal.

Is his wow pow that big of a deal? Is it like Chop Chop's and Hex's insane S2 wow pows that make them overpowered, or is it more like S3 Trigger Happy's which is... better off not even used?
#9 Posted: 06:16:51 13/09/2015
I wouldn't say the Wow Pow is overpowered, but it does add to his gameplay style and makes me like Ignitor more. I'd say it depends on the price difference between them. I can't remember what it does on the 3DS, but I think it just makes his secondary move deal more damage.

Just played TT 3DS again (trying to get 100% before SC is out, only mainline Skylanders game where I haven't done that) and I still feel the same. It's got some nice aspects but it's pretty sluggish and not very fresh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:17:30 13/09/2015 by Arc of Archives
#10 Posted: 07:02:46 13/09/2015 | Topic Creator
I wouldn't say the Wow Pow is overpowered, but it does add to his gameplay style and makes me like Ignitor more. I'd say it depends on the price difference between them. I can't remember what it does on the 3DS, but I think it just makes his secondary move deal more damage.

Just played TT 3DS again (trying to get 100% before SC is out, only mainline Skylanders game where I haven't done that) and I still feel the same. It's got some nice aspects but it's pretty sluggish and not very fresh.

I feel the same about Swap Force on the 3DS. It isn't too fresh, and it does feel sluggish, and it's a shame as it really has a great flow to it. It's so fast paced and just incredibly fun to play, but I wish the developers for these 3DS versions got more money to make them. The developers clearly have passion for what they're doing, and they're obviously trying very hard to make a great game, but you can just tell they weren't given enough money to make these the games worth buying a 3DS for, and the shame is, the potential for that is definitely there.

As for Ignitor, he's one of the characters I really want. No doubt. I saw some gameplay and with what I did see, he looks cool. He reminds me of a knight from the classic Diablo games, and I feel I'll get nostalgia playing as him. The problem here is, do I get him with the 3DS Spyro's Adventure, or do I get him with an additional wow pow for about $4 less? Still thinking about Trap Team also.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#11 Posted: 09:59:36 13/09/2015
I tried buying it last week but they wanted full price and I wanted a discount . Ahh well maybe next time .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#12 Posted: 10:19:14 13/09/2015
the 3ds ssa was good... better go grab that one if you like skylanders on the 3ds, its starting to be kinda hard to get now days.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:20:19 13/09/2015 by CountMoneyBone
#13 Posted: 11:04:08 13/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: CountMoneyBone
the 3ds ssa was good... better go grab that one if you like skylanders on the 3ds, its starting to be kinda hard to get now days.

I can get it for $15. More than I paid for the 3DS Swap Force (paid $10) but $15 still isn't bad.
#14 Posted: 01:59:01 14/09/2015
Quote: CelesteInk

Is his wow pow that big of a deal? Is it like Chop Chop's and Hex's insane S2 wow pows that make them overpowered, or is it more like S3 Trigger Happy's which is... better off not even used?

It's not OP, but it's worth it in my opinion. It makes his flame form a lot more useful.

Quote: CelesteInk

I can get it for $15. More than I paid for the 3DS Swap Force (paid $10) but $15 still isn't bad.

You can get it for $8 right here, Like New condition: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skylan...=item567aa87e3a

And you can get Series 2 Ignitor right here for $5.50: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Series...=item5677671d2e
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:00:00 14/09/2015 by Muffin Man
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#15 Posted: 02:05:29 14/09/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone

This.I got mine for $20 dollars though
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#16 Posted: 09:55:24 14/09/2015
I paid about 10 buck for SSA 3DS
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#17 Posted: 07:14:30 24/09/2015
So...I decided to try out Trap Team 3DS and I'm really seeing what everyone above was talking about. I mean, the core gameplay itself is fine enough but there's just SO much extra stupid stuff tacked on. I just don't understand why they thought to add all the forced cinematics, the touch screen nonsense (did Beenox for some reason think the earlier games were somehow worse off because it was actually not a headache to open presents?), the forced Skystones on every playthrough of several levels, and the clunky villain minigames.

Swap Force in comparison may have been lacking in extra modes, but damn was it quick and smooth to play and replay. With Trap Team on the other hand I feel like I'm being brought to a screeching halt every other minute.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the first playthrough for the most part...but there's no way in hell I'm going to feel motivated to 100% this. Which is unfortunate, because I like 100%ing games.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#18 Posted: 14:35:01 24/09/2015 | Topic Creator
@Muffin Man, I see what you're saying about the 100%-ing. I just recently grabbed the console version of Spyro's Adventure for $5... although I didn't want it, it was $5. lol. I think it's just fine, and it's cool to see a Skylanders game more focused on the walking and adventuring than the combat, but while I love 100%-ing games (as I did with Swap Force), I just can't bother doing it for Spyro's Adventure.

Thankfully on the console side, Spyro's Adventure did evolve and give us the Swap Force that most consider the best yet, but I wish the handheld versions would do the same. I've always thought the Vita and 3DS could handle, and be incredible with the handheld version being a sidescroller adventurer in the same style as Metroidvania games. Will never happen though. :/
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me