darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Anyone else think Hammer Slam Bowser should have been Hammer Slam Dedede?
Page 1 of 1
Anyone else think Hammer Slam Bowser should have been Hammer Slam Dedede?
MetaVolca Green Sparx Gems: 464
#1 Posted: 01:20:35 25/06/2015 | Topic Creator
When, in any mainstream Mario game, has Bowser used freaking hammers?
---
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#2 Posted: 01:22:47 25/06/2015
I wouldn't mind a king dedede skylander. he's one of my favorite nintendo characters!
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#3 Posted: 01:30:31 25/06/2015
Bowser has used plenty of hammers..

King Dedede is nowhere near as well known as Bowser. Like, next to no kids would know who Dedede is.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#4 Posted: 01:31:43 25/06/2015
Quote: MetaVolca
When, in any mainstream Mario game, has Bowser used freaking hammers?

Oh, I don't know... how about in the VERY FIRST game?

[User Posted Image]

:P

Besides, why limit the source of inspiration to just the main games?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:38:52 25/06/2015 by FireMeowth
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#5 Posted: 01:47:41 25/06/2015
King Dedede isn't fully owned by Nintendo (well, majority owns, but he's also a trademark of HAL Labs) Plus there's a whole thing with Bowser being a main Nintendo character, and being in the games makes more sense than a Kirby character.

BUT....snot having Banana Slamma DK was a travesty
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#6 Posted: 02:02:22 25/06/2015
Quote: Matteomax

King Dedede is nowhere near as well known as Bowser. Like, next to no kids would know who Dedede is.

No, lots of people know who Dedede is, like all the tons of kids who buy Kirby games every year.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#7 Posted: 02:06:02 25/06/2015
That's borderline Class B territory. Keep it to the well knowns.
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#8 Posted: 02:07:28 25/06/2015
Quote: Bionichute

No, lots of people know who Dedede is, like all the tons of kids who buy Kirby games every year.

too bad kirby games don't come out every year, there's that whole few years things since '92. there would be less that knew him now compared to 10+ years ago
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#9 Posted: 02:10:03 25/06/2015
Well, King Dedede would make more sense, as now he's not a villain anymore, more just a jerk if anything. But whatever I say.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#10 Posted: 02:13:46 25/06/2015
Quote: tigerdr
Quote: Bionichute

too bad kirby games don't come out every year, there's that whole few years things since '92. there would be less that knew him now compared to 10+ years ago

One of the best selling Kirby games had King Dedede as a playable character. The most recent Kirby game also had Dedede as a playable character. I'm not even saying that Dedede should have been there instead of Bowser, I disagree with that, but Dedede is still a very well known character from one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, a franchise specifically made for kids to enjoy.

There's also the fact that kids nowadays aren't as stupid as you guys think, if they get interested in Kirby they could go onto their smart phone or laptop and instantly learn anything about the series. You guys are assuming that games are purely for adults, when most series, Skylanders included, is made for kids.

Basically what I'm saying is don't assume that kids don't know anything.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#11 Posted: 02:27:27 25/06/2015
Oh yes most definitely please. King Dedede is my main in smash, all time favorite character in Brawl and was my most demanded character to be in Super Smash bros. since the beginning. I was so happy he got in Brawl and even got an Amiibo so having him as a Skylander would be bread and butter for me.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#12 Posted: 04:30:14 25/06/2015
Why would they add King Dedede over Kirby? The only reason Bowser got in over Mario is because they prefer to use nonhuman characters. But Kirby is just as nonhuman as King Dedede is, so I see no reason why they wouldn't just use Kirby.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Dark Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2623
#13 Posted: 09:45:30 25/06/2015
I don't even know who dedede is
---
Psn-Zydren8cookie, FC 3024-5345-8692
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#14 Posted: 10:15:09 25/06/2015
[User Posted Image]

He's Kirby's main antagonist.
Maybe you have seen him but didn't known his name.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#15 Posted: 11:46:59 25/06/2015
Dedede is not an antagonist that much anymore. More like the local jerk who deep down actually cares.

But seeing the interviews, VV approached Nintendo to create cameos they wanted and not the other way around, and they don't sound like Kirby fans that much. And even if they did, Nintendo told them to give everyone new moves - making Masked Dedede a Skylander would've been the opposite of that, and they'd probably have to make him have a focus on the inhaling power instead or something.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#16 Posted: 13:03:08 25/06/2015
Quote: Dark Snap Shot
I don't even know who dedede is

This is why they don't use Dedede. If they are going to do a crossover, they will use headline characters. Kirby is popular, but not nearly to the level of Donkey Kong or Bowser. They aren't going to make one that many will not recognize.
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#17 Posted: 13:30:18 25/06/2015
Well I would have loved to have seen him but there is always next game.
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#18 Posted: 14:36:23 25/06/2015
I can't say i'd consider paying any money for Dedede. I like the Kirby games but i'm just not that big of a fan. But Dedede would be on my list of nintendo characters that I just don't care about in any single way.
I don't care all that much for DK either but enough that I'll pay a few dollars to get him.
Bowser on the other hand I'm sure the people who don't love him are on a very short list.

BUT I do find all this funny and curious what was Eon thinking when he made some villains Skylanders. Both DK and Bowser are villains and Bowser probably just a more competent then Kaos, except totally willing to play a game of Tennis with his foes. But both only help the heroes when a situation comes up they can't handle alone.
Bloodmourn Green Sparx Gems: 238
#19 Posted: 14:48:09 25/06/2015
I had no idea what a dedede was until this thread. So I'm inclined to side with whoever said he isn't as well known.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:49:32 25/06/2015 by Bloodmourn
#20 Posted: 15:11:43 25/06/2015
Quote: Street50

BUT I do find all this funny and curious what was Eon thinking when he made some villains Skylanders. Both DK and Bowser are villains and Bowser probably just a more competent then Kaos, except totally willing to play a game of Tennis with his foes. But both only help the heroes when a situation comes up they can't handle alone.

DK being a villain is a really big stretch. He's more of a jerk to anyone that isn't family.
But the devs explained that it's another one of 'needs a world to rule first' case for Bowser. If the Darkness gets enough power to attack the rest of the universe, there won't be anywhere for him to conquer.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:12:06 25/06/2015 by Bifrost
#21 Posted: 16:26:41 25/06/2015
Quote: Bifrost

DK being a villain is a really big stretch. He's more of a jerk to anyone that isn't family.
But the devs explained that it's another one of 'needs a world to rule first' case for Bowser. If the Darkness gets enough power to attack the rest of the universe, there won't be anywhere for him to conquer.

Like you said DK is more of a jerk but he's not from what i recall ever shown to be doing good just for the sake of doing good. He'll do the good thing and be the hero basically for his own or family reasons. So he's not really ever been seen as the good guy.
Still like i said Eon made them Skylanders. It's just an odd choice for him to make them apart of the "greatest heroes ever known" team. Now I don't know at all the comic canon and like with a lot of games mostly fighting games I always consider my own story when playing the games. But I would assume maybe Eruptor maybe somewhat of a DK guy because If I recall officially he has a real hard time controlling his anger. But maybe he's just a Ralph from Ninja Turtles.

It's not like i'm in anyway complaining I'm glad to have them as Skylanders. I also hope this will push Nintendo to make an official Skylander/Disney Infinity type game in the future.
As I've made my own case towards Disney Infinity before, if they let me actually make stories and levels for other people to play with the characters I have purchased I'd gladly buy characters I never really cared for or intentions of buying.
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#22 Posted: 17:14:21 25/06/2015
Yeah, Bowser did use hammers in the original game. As for DK, many forget that he was a villain since he had his own games (Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Land) for a while and was the hero. I haven't kept up with all of Nintendo, but has he been a villain since the original Donkey Kong game?

And on a somewhat related note, Nintendo is in talks with Disney about several ventures, including the possibility of Nintendo characters being used in Disney Infinity. So this Skylanders deal may not be the first.
#23 Posted: 17:57:50 25/06/2015
Like you said DK is more of a jerk but he's not from what i recall ever shown to be doing good just for the sake of doing good. He'll do the good thing and be the hero basically for his own or family reasons. So he's not really ever been seen as the good guy.

That couldn't be more incorrect. The current Donkey Kong (who isn't the same character as DK from the arcade games, but is in fact the original Donkey Kong's grandson) is never portrayed as a jerk in his own games. He's a laid back beach bum who just likes to chill and relax. And he does go out of his way to help people who aren't his family, in both Donkey Kong 64 (where he helps out a bunch of island residents along the way) and in Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (where he travels to a foreign land and helps a bunch of gibbons). Also, since when is caring about your family a negative trait?

The only place where he's portrayed as a jerk is in the Mario vs. DK games, which are just minor spinoffs, but even then he and Mario make amends at the end of the first one and in the second one he reveals that he was treating Pauline nicely all along. Again, the current Donkey Kong is supposed to be the original Donkey Kong's grandson. The original Donkey Kong was a villain, but the current Donkey Kong is not.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#24 Posted: 18:40:13 25/06/2015
Quote: Muffin Man

That couldn't be more incorrect. The current Donkey Kong (who isn't the same character as DK from the arcade games, but is in fact the original Donkey Kong's grandson) is never portrayed as a jerk in his own games. He's a laid back beach bum who just likes to chill and relax. And he does go out of his way to help people who aren't his family, in both Donkey Kong 64 (where he helps out a bunch of island residents along the way) and in Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (where he travels to a foreign land and helps a bunch of gibbons). Also, since when is caring about your family a negative trait?

The only place where he's portrayed as a jerk is in the Mario vs. DK games, which are just minor spinoffs, but even then he and Mario make amends at the end of the first one and in the second one he reveals that he was treating Pauline nicely all along. Again, the current Donkey Kong is supposed to be the original Donkey Kong's grandson. The original Donkey Kong was a villain, but the current Donkey Kong is not.

it is in no way a negative trait. But only caring and doing something for your own bloods good can be seen as a selfish trait.
I'm only really going on what i've been told about the character but besides playing a little bit of the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games I've not played a full Donkey Kong game since Donkey Kong Country.
#25 Posted: 19:09:17 25/06/2015
And Cranky Kong(original DK) kinda gave up on his kidnapping ways to yell about how games were better back then,so there's definately no incentive for any of the Kongs to not save the multiverse when some hologram shows up to give them such a chance. It's adventure, it's beating up some bad guys - AND you get to run over people with a train car. What's not to love?
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:10:18 25/06/2015 by Bifrost
#26 Posted: 19:23:05 25/06/2015

I'm only really going on what i've been told about the character but besides playing a little bit of the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games I've not played a full Donkey Kong game since Donkey Kong Country.

I see, well that explains it. MvsDK really isn't the best portrayal of DK. He's definitely never portrayed as anything close to a villain or even a jerk in his own series.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Dark Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2623
#27 Posted: 20:47:09 25/06/2015
Quote: Drek95
[User Posted Image]

He's Kirby's main antagonist.
Maybe you have seen him but didn't known his name.

He reminds me of club penguin
---
Psn-Zydren8cookie, FC 3024-5345-8692
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#28 Posted: 21:54:07 25/06/2015
ALL I WANT TO SAY IS

Deeded came out in Smash 4

Smash 4

Smash 4

One of the games that revived Wii U

A game that is one of the most popular Nintendo franchises

Nuff said
---
^This might be sarcasm.
#29 Posted: 21:58:11 25/06/2015
Quote: The Bone Chompy

It's very clear looking at the posts on Amiibolander suggestion threads to notice who knows Smash and who doesn't. Not a whole lot of people.
Too bad that,even if they did, Kirby is still kind of the underdog. It's a shame,too, it's a kids' franchise done right and smart. Doesn't insult your intelligence or your skills(with an exception or two), and even if you're a hardcore gamer it's such a good series to relax.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me