Page 1 of 1
Fan or Developer-Favorites?
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 21:14:07 20/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I keep hearing that Stealth Elf was reposed again because she is the favorite of VV head Guha Bala. If that is true, then it simply destroys the point of "fan-favorites" since the devs seem to be more focused on their own favorite Skylanders than the fans'.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
TTD Hunter Gems: 6222
#2 Posted: 21:16:27 20/06/2015
It does seem that they are more 'Dev-favourites than 'Fan-favourites'. I think that it would be better if TFB/ VV held a poll to decide who would get the reposes.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#3 Posted: 21:18:02 20/06/2015
Well, not like the fans can have a say on it. Aside from maybe Funny Bone I don't think there's a character that's widely disliked,and even he has fans because his design is far from bad, problem is with the gameplay. So,by twisting some logic,every character can be a fan-favorite because they get sold a lot, they just need to say it is. That way they can just stick SE in every starter pack and excuse themselves out of their laziness, because "people like her".
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:24:51 20/06/2015 by Bifrost
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#4 Posted: 22:15:42 20/06/2015
Clearly devs favorites. Surely pleads for the missing skylanders are not the voice of the minority
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#5 Posted: 23:47:27 20/06/2015
I think by 'fan-favorites' they mean 'the characters who sold really well last game'.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Nroc-Nuika Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#6 Posted: 00:20:15 21/06/2015
I think that what this forum constantly forgets is that Dark Spyro is only a small portion of the Skylanders community. By community, I mean players in total.

A vast majority of Skylander fans are the target demographic - children. I think it's a safe bet to say that a lot of us on here are older fans of the series. We are the minority.

The "fan favourite" Skylanders are by far the best selling Skylander figures over the past four games. This could be chalked up to higher exposure than other lesser known characters, or perhaps it's due to initial availability back with Spyro's Adventure (back when Skylanders were as popular and as hard to find as amiibo)

It is likely to do with their marketing however. Everyone who knows Skylanders knows of Gill Grunt because he's on the front of the box. They know of Wash Buckler and Snap Shot and Tree Rex because they were all on the posters and in the magazines and in the adverts. Kids tend to identify with the main characters of cartoons and games, because they're that; the main character. They're flashy and cool and the hero of the story. Kids love attention, they want to be the main character that everyone knows, the hero, not a secondary character that doesn't appear in every episode or game installment.

Ask a kid their favorite Power Ranger; Red. Favourite X-Man; Wolverine. Favourite Teen Titan; Robin. I know it's not quite that black and white but it's surprisingly accurate. All the kids I've spoken to who are into the series absolutely LOVE the fan favourites.

The fact is while Stealth Elf and Eruptor might not be your favourite, they're the favourites of a lot more people. Your opinion is the unpopular one, not theirs.

(For the record though, I can't stand these fan favourites as much as everybody else on here.)
---
I always forget to check my guestbook
Chef peeper Green Sparx Gems: 407
#7 Posted: 00:31:08 21/06/2015
Quote: Nroc-Nuika
I think that what this forum constantly forgets is that Dark Spyro is only a small portion of the Skylanders community. By community, I mean players in total.

A vast majority of Skylander fans are the target demographic - children. I think it's a safe bet to say that a lot of us on here are older fans of the series. We are the minority.

The "fan favourite" Skylanders are by far the best selling Skylander figures over the past four games. This could be chalked up to higher exposure than other lesser known characters, or perhaps it's due to initial availability back with Spyro's Adventure (back when Skylanders were as popular and as hard to find as amiibo)

It is likely to do with their marketing however. Everyone who knows Skylanders knows of Gill Grunt because he's on the front of the box. They know of Wash Buckler and Snap Shot and Tree Rex because they were all on the posters and in the magazines and in the adverts. Kids tend to identify with the main characters of cartoons and games, because they're that; the main character. They're flashy and cool and the hero of the story. Kids love attention, they want to be the main character that everyone knows, the hero, not a secondary character that doesn't appear in every episode or game installment.

Ask a kid their favorite Power Ranger; Red. Favourite X-Man; Wolverine. Favourite Teen Titan; Robin. I know it's not quite that black and white but it's surprisingly accurate. All the kids I've spoken to who are into the series absolutely LOVE the fan favourites.

The fact is while Stealth Elf and Eruptor might not be your favourite, they're the favourites of a lot more people. Your opinion is the unpopular one, not theirs.

(For the record though, I can't stand these fan favourites as much as everybody else on here.)

Your 100% right on how they choose. It's 50% marketing 40% what the target audience (kids) like and 10% what the devs want to see again.

Side not we have an eight year old and she hates both gill grunt and stealth elf.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#8 Posted: 01:49:44 21/06/2015
But again, they still sell as much as everyone else that you find on the shelves. So, unless they actually recorded individual character sales, they can say that any character is popular - Roller Brawl wasn't in many adverts, but they clearly showed in SF press stuff that they adore that character, so there she is. The kids probably love Eruptor and company as much as the more obscure guys, if they have them; those are the ones they'll remember they asked however.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me