Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > What would your reaction be if...
Page 1 of 1
What would your reaction be if... [CLOSED]
WFLD Emerald Sparx Gems: 3600
#1 Posted: 21:38:07 19/06/2015 | Topic Creator
...Activision introduced classic Spyro characters as Skylanders?

In my mind, it would seem to make sense for them to introduce characters such as Sgt. Byrd into Skylands, and maybe hunter too (although I would hate for them to actually do it [EDIT: Opinion since changed!]).

I'm not really a Skylanders fan, but for some reason this idea cropped up in the back of my mind and projected itself onto this post. It's one of those "food for thought" kind of ideas; one that's fun to imagine, but might destroy your childhood if it became a reality.

And so, I waited here, for your potential reactions...
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 08:54:06 10/07/2015 by WFLD
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#2 Posted: 21:50:23 19/06/2015
Well, after Cynder showed up and Ka-Boom's backstory mentioned Munitions Forge, I'm kind of expecting that. Would be pretty awesome, and some do have some dated/too simple designs that could use a facelift(*raises flame shield*). Sgt. Bird could be Air or Water(ice missiles?), Hunter and Elora could be Life, Bianca could be Magic,Professor and Agent 9, etc etc.
The thing is, if the series really got replaced by Skylanders, they're not going to show up anymore on a classic game, so why not give them a second chance? Just have a spinoff Skyro game and say those strange new recruits that he's taking along for the ride totally aren't familiar at all,no sire. Better than forever forgotten, as I keep saying.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:51:28 19/06/2015 by Bifrost
#3 Posted: 21:57:35 19/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I thought the reaction would be more negative than that, but, oh well...

Minimally, as long as Spyro is preserved in Skylands, then all his other classic friends are kinda preserved as well.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:47:39 02/07/2015 by WFLD
#4 Posted: 21:59:26 19/06/2015
I'm one of those fans that likes series games equally - but don't get me wrong I don't approve the decision, I just love Skylanders for what it is and not for having Spyro on it or not - though that's a nifty plus and if that's SOMETHING for him,that's something.
Just wait for people who don't or who only are okay with part of the franchise living on.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:00:24 19/06/2015 by Bifrost
#5 Posted: 22:13:57 19/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Yeah. Personally, I disliked/hated SSA when it was announced for obvious fan-related reasons (on the inside, of course. I didn't rage or send death-threats smilie but I did dislike CERTAIN AESTHETIC DESIGN CHANGES *ahem*) but have become neutral to the series overall. I do watch Skylander related stuff frequently and enjoy it, but I don't LOVE Skylands, but I'm okay with it, mostly because I now realise that it is preserving Spyro in a sense and kinda makes him relevant still. Like you said, it is SOMETHING.

Although I would love the arrival of a new classic/legend/whatever Spyro-focused game, I won't go all...loco...about it.. >.>

If something doesn't exist, it will be made (referencing rule 35, not to go into all that business of course...) <-------- "False Hope"

That being said and back on topic slightly, I may not object to the introduction of classic characters into Skylanders in hindsight. They might look and play real nice and be all nostalgic and magic (that is, if they don't...you know...CHANGE things...smilie).
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#6 Posted: 23:48:28 19/06/2015
I would absolutely adore the addition of more Spyro characters into Skylanders. At this point, my hopes of getting a real Spyro game are extremely low, so any references to the old series would be amazing.

I mean, I'm already referencing Spyro whenever I can with my current figures. My Stealth Elf is called Elora since she has hooves, Flameslinger is Hunter because he's an archer, and Hex is Bianca because she's a dark mage. I try to find any reason to use my Sparx magic item (although, I can find barely any because the game's easy enough as it is and I'm not a fan of timed uses), and my S1 Spyro figure always does all of the arena challenges.

So yeah, this is actually something I'm hoping to happen, since the chances of a real Spyro game happening are pretty much zero.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#7 Posted: 00:55:20 20/06/2015
Indifference, naturally.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#8 Posted: 01:33:51 20/06/2015
Eh, I'd rather they leave it be. If they're not going to let the old series' do anything, let them rest in peace, I say. Bringing them back and forcing them into Skylanders will likely annoy a lot of people, as it did for putting Spyro in at all (and promptly dropping him as the mascot of Skylanders after the first game). Not to mention you run into the issue of making good portrayals of the characters in the first place.

I really don't associate Spyro with Skylanders at this point, so I would rather they not try to force more Spyro characters in after already dropping Spyro as a notable character.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#9 Posted: 23:15:03 21/06/2015
I would actually buy a Skylanders game again if I could play as more classic characters, especially Elora, Sheila, Hunter, and Bianca.
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#10 Posted: 02:50:12 23/06/2015
I would be extremely happy if they added some classic Spyro characters. I'm surprised they haven't done it yet, actually. It would be a win/win/win situation. Kids would want them because they are awesome characters. Adults would want them because of nostalgia. And the designers would have an easier time making them since they wouldn't have to design them from scratch.

Hunter = Life element

Bianca = Magic element

Sgt. Bird = Air element

Agent 9 = Tech element

Sheila = Earth element

Bentley = Water element

And I think it's about time they upgrade Sparx to full playable status. Make him a Light element Skylander.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#11 Posted: 01:58:00 25/06/2015
That would be great, I mean, Spyro is certainly not having his own game anytime soon, so other Classic characters don't have much chance of coming back other than through Skylanders,
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4182
#12 Posted: 02:24:19 25/06/2015
There has been fanart at FurAffinity, and DeviantArt, of classic Spyro characters in Skylanders.

I love this one.

[User Posted Image]
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#13 Posted: 05:05:00 25/06/2015
^Now that's an awesome reimagining of Elora.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#14 Posted: 06:16:26 25/06/2015
Aww, I remember running that contest. :) There were a bunch of really amazing Skylanders Elora interpretations lots of folks did. :) I think this one was actually the winner, even. I was going to collect all the pics and send them to TfB in hopes of Elora getting into the game by fan request (this was just after the first one came out) but that part of the plan never happened. I still keep tabs on the franchise just in case my favorite faun makes a cameo anyway. XD
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#15 Posted: 14:48:42 26/06/2015
Quote: Bifrost
Well, after Cynder showed up and Ka-Boom's backstory mentioned Munitions Forge, I'm kind of expecting that.

Well that's a surprise, since none of that is classic Spyro. Malefor's in the comic and is also LoS, Sparx is in the LoS series, I think the only thing derived from the classic so far are the abundance of sheep, but I don't know enough about LoS to know if they were there too.

On top of that, I've always seen the original Skylanders NPCs as expies of the Avalar cast, and Tessa could somewhat been seen as a Bianca-fulfilling role.
---
Eh.
#16 Posted: 15:09:57 26/06/2015
Auric is also a direct reference, plus some characters seem vaguely inspired by classic NPCs(T-Bone being taken apart by enemies and dancing later references Mr. Bones, apparently).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:15:36 26/06/2015 by Bifrost
Boomer05 Red Sparx Gems: 52
#17 Posted: 21:51:29 02/07/2015
I grew up playing Nintendo, so I wouldnt even know If Spyro characters were added to the game...
---
Kaos vs Bowser!! My life is complete.
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#18 Posted: 21:49:55 08/07/2015
I'd be torn on the subject, honestly.
While I'd love to see these old characters revived, I don't think I'd like to see them in a Skylanders game because the newer generation will only remember them for Skylanders rather than their original origins. Yes, I do consider that it would be better than letting them be forever forgotten, but I'm not so sure for me. I don't know if I'd like my favourite childhood characters to be remembered for something they're not. I don't know if I'm being "selfish" or something, not wanting Activision to get their hands on them or something of the sort, I just don't want them being changed into something that is nothing but a feint echo of what they used to be (my opinion, of course, I hope that doesn't offend people who enjoy Skylanders), and I don't want them to be remembered for that. It's like with Spyro, he's become nothing more than a single character lost in the crowd of 100+ others and I don't want the others to suffer (not sure on my choice of words) the same fate. I would, however, like them to be remembered, and if Skylanders is the only means of that, so be it.
It would be interesting to see how Skylanders would reboot them, though. :) I'd love to see Bianca and Hunter, not to mention Elora, Agent 9, James Byrd, Shelia, Bentley and Blink. Don't forget Blink! Oh, and what about Handel and Greta, that'd be interesting. They should also make Sparx a playable character.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#19 Posted: 21:59:22 08/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I kinda share the same opinion, but am more indifferent on the subject. They kinda turned Sparx into a Skylander as well but he's no more than an add-on smilie
#20 Posted: 22:14:07 08/07/2015
Yeah, yeah, I know, and I'm not to happy about that!
To me, he has so much more importance than that. :(
---
I draw stuff.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8236
#21 Posted: 23:56:51 08/07/2015
I can picture Elora, Hunter, Shela and Agent 9 come back, but Bentley and Sgt. Byrd are basically "reincarnated" as Slam Bam and Jet-Vac repectively. Hell, I call my Slam Bam Bentley and Jet-Vac, James
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:50:26 10/07/2015 by HeyitsHotDog
#22 Posted: 23:47:39 09/07/2015
Yes, that is true, they do share similarities. But what about Stealth Elf and Flameslinger? Surely if there are two elves there can be two yetis and two bird Skylanders as well?
---
I draw stuff.
DS D Yellow Sparx Gems: 1565
#23 Posted: 20:54:54 14/07/2015
There's a reason why this hasn't happened yet: Spyro himself. There's going to be another war if this happens, even outside of the forums. There's going to be a war even if the transitioning of the characters were actually GOOD. Believe me, I don't think dedicated Spyro fans would want this.
---
Yo, DEADASS?? BANANAS ARE DEAD???

(Former admin of TapL's Server.)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:57:18 14/07/2015 by DS D
#24 Posted: 20:57:14 14/07/2015
Quote: DS D
There's a reason why this hasn't happened yet: Spyro himself. There's going to be another war if this happens, even outside of the forums.

Cynder,Sparx,Malefor.
---
#25 Posted: 20:59:14 14/07/2015
Quote: Bifrost
There's a reason why this hasn't happened yet: Spyro himself. There's going to be another war if this happens, even outside of the forums.

Cynder,Sparx,Malefor.

Three more reasons why there would be a war.
---

#26 Posted: 22:49:21 14/07/2015
The real reason we haven't seen more classic Spyro characters is twofold:

1) Mike Graham is the head of the Skylanders team (I forget his actual title but it amounts to this). He wrote Shadow Legacy and it's story rip/spinoff, The Legend of Spyro, with Chris Wilson (who is not on the Skylanders team at all). That is why we keep seeing his fan characters, Cynder and Malefor, returning in Skylanders.

2) Spyro fandom has been nothing but noxious to the Skylanders team no matter what they do. Why would they bother catering to it? The answer is: they aren't. Sparx was an early nod to Spyro's origins that also worked as a periferal, but you'll note nothing else has been done with him.

I still hope someone in the Skylanders team will bring back some more classic characters just because they happen to like them, but as a dedicated Elora fan, I am a realist about this: I'll get excited if it actually happens, but before then, I'm not holding my breath for anything. It's so unlikely to happen, in fact, that I just don't think about it at all. I'd buy a Skylanders game again just to play as some of these characters reimagined/made playable for the first time, but I'm not the target audience. None of us are. S'not a big deal.
#27 Posted: 22:54:42 14/07/2015

Three more reasons why there would be a war.

Return of the Dragon King came and went and no one started a riot over it. I think we're fine.
Besides,as Razz said, Acti isn't appealing to old fans. And it'd be foolish to do so anything,any offering of older characters 100% like they used to be or loyalty to the old games would be met with hate over small design changes or 'it's not the same'. Better to introduce them to new fans or other fans who are probably already playing and will run to the stores at the sight of continuity nods.
---
#28 Posted: 01:10:59 15/07/2015
But that's the exact reason why the war happened in the first place, Bifrost, don't you get it? And damn, Razz, I had no idea that was the case. Too bad I don't see it changing how some Spyro fans view the series.
---

#29 Posted: 01:18:37 15/07/2015
But that's the exact reason why the war happened in the first place, Bifrost, don't you get it? And damn, Razz, I had no idea that was the case. Too bad I don't see it changing how some Spyro fans view the series.

No war happened except between the fans. Activision doesn't care if people are exchanging insults over here - we like the game and they appeal to us, we don't and they'll turn to a new fanbase. The genwunners rejected Skyro, they rejected the genwunners. Doesn't mean that, being the writers of the previous iterations, they wouldn't want to use the old characters anyway, that's unused potential.
---
#30 Posted: 01:26:37 15/07/2015
I'm kind of wondering...what if another company almost copies that "unused potential" by designing a freemuim game with deadly-similar characters and makes a really good hit-bomb to throw at Activision?
---

#31 Posted: 01:30:49 15/07/2015
I'm kind of wondering...what if another company almost copies that "unused potential" by designing a freemuim game with deadly-similar characters and makes a really good hit-bomb to throw at Activision?

You mean like every single 3D plataformer recently on Kickstarter?
Been happening; Freeze Me, Yooka-Laylee, Hat in Time. It's just that they only marginally take hints from classic Spyro, there's yet to be one that's specifically about that kind of gameplay and pacing.
Well, if someone DOES a good job that isn't just shamelessly pandering to oldschool fans and has real heart and not just fanboyism on it, I'd give a look. But still probably spend as much time on Skylanders as usual, minus having to cut down on figures to afford a copy.
---
CrystalFissure Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#32 Posted: 08:07:38 15/07/2015
I must admit, that Elora would certainly suit Skylanders. Maybe they could do something as a tribute without it actually being Elora.
#33 Posted: 16:51:43 15/07/2015
^ That's my hope if we can't have her back. I think Splat may be an Elora equivalent; she's a magical goat girl, which is kind of close. :D
K-Tech Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#34 Posted: 22:30:34 21/07/2015
I'm more interested with random sketches and drawings lying around the TFB or VV studio with possible incarnations of Spyro characters. This happens a lot during the preproduction side of things making anything and possibly were scrapped for something else. Someone may have had a very rough sketch in a binder somewhere with every spyro character ever in it but was scrapped due to a variety of reasons. This happens a lot, but on rare occasions they may resurface for either reference or during a studio creative meeting. In spirit these characters may have been made already.
---
I'm k-tech... and I approve this message.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me