First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Toys for Bob VS Vicarious Visions
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#51 Posted: 17:10:05 18/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: AzureStarline

I'd be curious to know how player ages compare to VV or TfB preference.

maybe it is an age thing, vv have changed the game so much that it appeal most to kids and younger adults now. and the game dont appeal to the adult fans of the franchise that much anymore. it will for sure be interesting to see how things goes financially for super chargers after its release. i personally dont think it will do that good, after the new gimmick novelty wear off.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#52 Posted: 17:27:58 18/06/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone

maybe it is an age thing, vv have changed the game so much that it appeal most to kids and younger adults now. and the game dont appeal to the adult fans of the franchise that much anymore. it will for sure be interesting to see how things goes financially for super chargers after its release. i personally dont think it will do that good, after the new gimmick novelty wear off.

37 here so nope. I just had more fun with Swap Force...it's that simple. The adult side of me also felt I got more value out of Swap Force as well when compared to Trap Team. A lot of it is perspective though. If you don't care about pvp, Leg. Treasures, Swap Zones, Arena's, etc. then Swap Force didn't offer that much for you. If you didn't miss pvp, loved the villain thing, loved Doom Challenge, didn't miss Arena's than Trap Team had more value to you. The answer to the question is based on perspective. There's really no right or wrong answer here. That being said I think it's still important to state why you choose to side with one over the other to possibly provide more perspective to someone that might have viewed it differently.
Kaotic Red Sparx Gems: 31
#53 Posted: 17:34:18 18/06/2015
Guys without VV the series would still be sporting Wii graphics and 200 "new" dragons.
---
Kaaaaaaaaaoooossssss!
#54 Posted: 17:46:55 18/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Tigorus

37 here so nope. I just had more fun with Swap Force...it's that simple. The adult side of me also felt I got more value out of Swap Force as well when compared to Trap Team. A lot of it is perspective though. If you don't care about pvp, Leg. Treasures, Swap Zones, Arena's, etc. then Swap Force didn't offer that much for you. If you didn't miss pvp, loved the villain thing, loved Doom Challenge, didn't miss Arena's than Trap Team had more value to you. The answer to the question is based on perspective. There's really no right or wrong answer here. That being said I think it's still important to state why you choose to side with one over the other to possibly provide more perspective to someone that might have viewed it differently.

your are in the minority and super chargers is not swap force.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
ultyzaus Yellow Sparx Gems: 1700
#55 Posted: 17:57:39 18/06/2015

31 and I also prefer SwapForce over the other games. I can't really put my finger on why though.

As for SuperChargers not being SwapForce, well I'd first try the game before saying if I like it or not. It's not out yet, and barely anyone has even touched one of its figures, and anyone who did played just about scratched the surface with the demo version.

Having played all the current console and 3DS games except 3DS Giants. I feel that the two first games are good, SF excellent, and TT just okay. The ratio is about the same for the 3DS games I have played, but these are probably out of the equation anyway.
---
http://ultyzarus.deviantart.com/
223/254, 17 superchargers, 14 vehicles
Characters missing: Rocky Roll, Splat, Nightfall, Thrillipede
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#56 Posted: 18:01:26 18/06/2015

I'm 36 (nearly 37) and also here to tell you that you're wrong in assuming broad generalizations regarding the appeal of the franchise and various specific games in the franchise to certain age groups.

At this point, I prefer Vicarious Visions to Toys for Bob, but only because they've really dug into the world that Toys for Bob originally created and, in my opinion, brought it more to life. Spyro's Adventure will probably be my favorite Skylanders game for some time, but Swap Force is a very close second, dropping a lot of points only due to the long length of its levels. With Trap Team, Toys for Bob had the chance to delve deeper into their own world, bring out more of the lore, show us more places that we've either seen only briefly or have only been hinted at; but they didn't, and it felt a lot more like an expansion for or extension of Spyro's Adventure than a truly new game in the franchise. Have I enjoyed Trap Team? Most definitely. Do I enjoy Swap Force more? Most definitely. As I've said on the SkyCast (and perhaps here), Toys for Bob should be the developer for the world building and character designs and Vicarious Visions should be the developer for actually building the game and making sure that the Skylands world gets fleshed out for all to see.

And, I hate to pull an Uncle Bob, but where is your proof, your numbers, that I and Tigorus' opinions are "in the minority?" Please provide me specific numbers and not just a general reference of "look at the forum," or "everybody's saying it." Even if you sited this specific forum for your evidence, you have a very small subset of the overall fandom and a group that is a very vocal minority in comparison to the overall fandom. Perhaps the overall fandom would support your assertion, perhaps not. But unless you can actually back up your assertions with actual facts, make sure to preface all sweeping generalizations with "In my opinion..."

As for SuperChargers, I (and many others) am excited. Will it keep Vicarious Visions in first place in my ranking of developers? Maybe, maybe not. I (and many others) won't know that until I get my hands on the game.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#57 Posted: 18:03:15 18/06/2015
Quote: newkill
I had more fun playing Trap Team than Swap Force, but I am super hyped for Superchargers. Basically, I like both companies pretty much equally.

I second that emotion.
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#58 Posted: 18:04:59 18/06/2015
I don't know that TFB is to blame for all the paywalling in trap team. I'm sure that initiative came down from on-high.

However, I did buy the trap team starter and never finished the game. It bored me. VV all the way.
Kaotic Red Sparx Gems: 31
#59 Posted: 18:15:00 18/06/2015

super chargers is not swap force.

for someone who didn't like swap force you might consider taking your own advice and judging this game on its actual merits vs. a small bit of promotional gameplay.

You don't have to run out launch day at midnight and buy it, I'm sure there's a 2nd grader somewhere who'd let you borrow it.
---
Kaaaaaaaaaoooossssss!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:15:30 18/06/2015 by Kaotic
#60 Posted: 18:16:40 18/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: darkchylde28

I'm 36 (nearly 37) and also here to tell you that you're wrong in assuming broad generalizations regarding the appeal of the franchise and various specific games in the franchise to certain age groups.

At this point, I prefer Vicarious Visions to Toys for Bob, but only because they've really dug into the world that Toys for Bob originally created and, in my opinion, brought it more to life. Spyro's Adventure will probably be my favorite Skylanders game for some time, but Swap Force is a very close second, dropping a lot of points only due to the long length of its levels. With Trap Team, Toys for Bob had the chance to delve deeper into their own world, bring out more of the lore, show us more places that we've either seen only briefly or have only been hinted at; but they didn't, and it felt a lot more like an expansion for or extension of Spyro's Adventure than a truly new game in the franchise. Have I enjoyed Trap Team? Most definitely. Do I enjoy Swap Force more? Most definitely. As I've said on the SkyCast (and perhaps here), Toys for Bob should be the developer for the world building and character designs and Vicarious Visions should be the developer for actually building the game and making sure that the Skylands world gets fleshed out for all to see.

And, I hate to pull an Uncle Bob, but where is your proof, your numbers, that I and Tigorus' opinions are "in the minority?" Please provide me specific numbers and not just a general reference of "look at the forum," or "everybody's saying it." Even if you sited this specific forum for your evidence, you have a very small subset of the overall fandom and a group that is a very vocal minority in comparison to the overall fandom. Perhaps the overall fandom would support your assertion, perhaps not. But unless you can actually back up your assertions with actual facts, make sure to preface all sweeping generalizations with "In my opinion..."

As for SuperChargers, I (and many others) am excited. Will it keep Vicarious Visions in first place in my ranking of developers? Maybe, maybe not. I (and many others) won't know that until I get my hands on the game.

-Doug

why so defensive?... if you enjoy the game then you enjoy the game, nothing wrong with that. but the majority of people in your age group are not into skylanders. and your not the age group the developers have in mind when they create the game either, so you're in the minority.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#61 Posted: 18:33:54 18/06/2015
why so defensive?... if you enjoy the game then you enjoy the game, nothing wrong with that. but the majority of people in your age group are not into skylanders. and your not the age group the developers have in mind when they create the game either, so you're in the minority.

Why do you assume I'm defensive? I presented my thought out reasons for preferring Vicarious Visions over Toys for Bob at this point in time and argued that there's not really any evidence for the points you were making based on the age of the players.

Skylanders games have historically rated "E for Everyone" and/or "E10+". That pretty much puts me and anyone else who plays the game who is 10 or over in the age group the game is intended for. If you have some inside interviews with the developers where they state the specific age range that they intend to play and enjoy the game, by all means share.

If all you're going to do is bat other peoples' opinions and rebuttals of your opinion back at them with variations of "your opinion doesn't matter because (x)," why bother participating in this thread anymore? My opinion (and Tigorus', and I imagine others) doesn't matter because we're outside of the intended player range? Support that assertion. Not that I disagree that Skylanders is most likely made for and marketed towards kids moreso than adults, but I have literally never seen any evidence of it and refuse to be summarily dismissed because of it.

How old are you CountMoneyBone? If your opinion trumps various others' because they're too old, I imagine that you've got to be in the little kid demographic you're advocating is the target audience, right? If that's the case, can I summarily dismiss your opinions because you're "just a little kid?" If you're going to bring up a discussion topic, let people discuss. If you disagree? Disagree, but don't present your personal opinions as facts and expect to not need to back them up.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
troma Blue Sparx Gems: 514
#62 Posted: 18:42:12 18/06/2015
Quote: darkchylde28

-Doug

He represents the vast majority of paying customers though.
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#63 Posted: 19:42:31 18/06/2015
Pointless "Who you love more mon or dad?" topic.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#64 Posted: 19:51:52 18/06/2015
Quote: Kaotic
Guys without VV the series would still be sporting Wii graphics and 200 "new" dragons.

Isn't generalization a great thing...?
I get you are a new user (welcome to smilie smilie ), but more articulated criticism with motivations would be appreciated.

By the way, I agree with you, Tigorus, and sincerely hope what you said in the first part of your post will one day become reality.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#65 Posted: 20:42:06 18/06/2015
Quote: Akseyomiht
Pointless "Who you love more mon or dad?" topic.

lol! Pretty appropriate sum up of the topic, but still fun to discuss (when discussion actually happens).

-Doug
---
Bloodmourn Green Sparx Gems: 238
#66 Posted: 20:45:53 18/06/2015
At first I saw swap force and was like "this is lame" so I didn't play it. I picked up trap team and couldn't put it down. I finally made my way to trying out swap force and was incredibly surprised how much I liked this game better in so many ways. It felt bigger and like there was a lot of attention to detail.

So I hear about Superchargers and think "this is lame" once again. Then I thought about it. Innovating the vehicle portions of the game is a great idea, it's probably the games weakest point. The segments with the rail shooters or flying around in the plane in that one trap team level. So I'm optimistic, and once again it looks like there's a lot of attention to detail here.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#67 Posted: 20:53:54 18/06/2015
^You've nailed a few reasons why I prefer VV's approach on many venues.

If we can get the "traditional" TfB approach to VV's vicarious push to move the franchise forward and meld the two by keeping the integrity intact they will produce what I want. Until then, I'll enjoy what I have. I've had criticisms of every game thus far, but have ended up enjoying it. I don't see this entry being any different.

@Count, I'd bet you'd be surprised at the number of adults that play this game. They certainly have more disposable income in theory too. In my mind, a customer is a data point whose opinion matters--regardless of the age. Yes, they may discount that opinion where they feel it doesn't serve their "primary demographic" but they would be fools not to know who their customers are and what they might want.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 20:59:10 18/06/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#68 Posted: 22:03:03 18/06/2015
Yes, as much as I might "not like" this entry I will sure enjoy playing it. A lot.

However, you know what?
I will have faith.

If vehicles are truly just a way to make the already exsisting vehicle sections deeper, more intriguing and more enjoyable then I'm all for it.
Really, it would be awesome if I was just blinded by all this attention on them simply because they already know we'll like the platforming.

Don't get me wrong, there would still be things that annoys me but I guess the same happened in Trap Team too (and it's my favorite game so far)... It's just this time they are a lot more and a bit more relevant, to me.

Color me cautiously optimistic. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#69 Posted: 05:45:32 22/06/2015
VV scores major brownie points with me simply because it added jumping and platforming elements to Skylanders and brought the series closer to its classic Spyro roots. TfB seems to want to go in a strictly dungeon crawler sort of direction with the series, whereas VV wants it to be more of a platforming/adventure game with all sorts of gimmicky variations to the gameplay (And classic Spyro had plenty of gimmicky variations...flying stages, anyone? Skateboarding stages? Tank stages? First Person shooter stages?).

Granted, not everyone wants Skylanders to become more like classic Spyro, and obviously no one type of gameplay is superior to another, it's all just a matter of taste.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#70 Posted: 07:14:27 22/06/2015
Quote: Muffin Man
VV scores major brownie points with me simply because it added jumping and platforming elements to Skylanders and brought the series closer to its classic Spyro roots. TfB seems to want to go in a strictly dungeon crawler sort of direction with the series, whereas VV wants it to be more of a platforming/adventure game with all sorts of gimmicky variations to the gameplay (And classic Spyro had plenty of gimmicky variations...flying stages, anyone? Skateboarding stages? Tank stages? First Person shooter stages?).

Granted, not everyone wants Skylanders to become more like classic Spyro, and obviously no one type of gameplay is superior to another, it's all just a matter of taste.

Except those were always side-functions not the focus of the games.

The "main big innovation" (there were too may big and small ones to actually point out the most important) in Spyro 2 was the introduction of the different abilities (swimming, climbing, head bashing and spitting) along with the power ups.
With the third game they introduced the possibility to play as multiple characters.

Vehicles or other different gameplays were just part of a bigger classic gameplay.
I don't feel the same with SuperChargers but from what I heard I may very easily be wrong.

However you are right about Skylanders becoming more and more similar to a classic old-schooled platforming game (up to now at least): I kinda liked its dungeon crawling nature, it really made it feel unique but now I like it even more.

That's my entire point: Spyro never needed big game changing gimmicks to never feel old or reheated, just small tweaks here and there and cleverly thought addictions which ultimately truly innovated the gameplay without altering.
To put it simple, more functions like jumping, jump-attacking and such and less gimmicks such as Trap Masters and SuperChargers; items such as traps and vehicles are welcomed as long as they don't alter the game too much.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me