darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Is anybody else upset about the prices...
Page 1 of 1
Is anybody else upset about the prices... [CLOSED]
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#1 Posted: 01:19:50 10/06/2015 | Topic Creator
the prices for the superchargers I know there a gimmick but its 2 more bucks for another stealth elf,trigger happy,terrafin I hope I am not alone on this opinion but why the extra $
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#2 Posted: 01:47:45 10/06/2015
So, they're making fewer characters and charging more for them. Sounds like a lazy / easy way to make same or more money for less effort. Business wise it's smart, but I'm sure is going to lose customers in the process. Add to it the rumor that cards and stickers won't be included...makes me think.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:48:40 10/06/2015 by TakeYourLemons
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#3 Posted: 01:53:23 10/06/2015
I've been contemplating about that for awhile and trying to figure out which new Skylanders figures and Vehicles I will and won't buy.
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#4 Posted: 03:37:11 10/06/2015
i think more people will be choosy in what to get because remember to supercharge a vehicle you will need that character that it's for. if you watched the one play through that skylander boy and girl had with the activision guy that whatever characters you get, they'll need their vehicle to fully use it.

so if you plan on stormblade you'll need her sky slicer, etc.

if they take out the cards and stickers it's going to make them far less collectible and you can definitely say they're going more for the approach of disposible per game, meaning i think like many people i wouldn't bother buying day one anymore. quality drop.

Quote: TakeYourLemons
So, they're making fewer characters and charging more for them. Sounds like a lazy / easy way to make same or more money for less effort. Business wise it's smart, but I'm sure is going to lose customers in the process. Add to it the rumor that cards and stickers won't be included...makes me think.

when a company starts on the whole "less is more" type thing you know they haven't made as much money as they used to and its clearly showing the game's now just completely going to be running a year installment every year for as long as they wish to. if that doesn't make sense i'm only referring to activision's way with other games and the quality drop in some aspects to just have a new installment every year and just keep churning them out as such. there wont be great deviations from the original formula for things and they'll just only do enough to satisfy that quota and still rake in the money.

i think from here on out any installment after trap team should be considered a side story.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:42:02 10/06/2015 by tigerdr
LameLime Yellow Sparx Gems: 1200
#5 Posted: 04:21:50 10/06/2015
In Trap Team. You need to spend about $780 USD/$930 CAD (Including tax) to get all the figures.

Here in Superchargers, even with higher prices, the total cost for everything is $560 USD/$670 CAD

This is why I'm going to try and get all the figures.
---
NOSTALGA-LANDERS COLLECTION (Spyro's Adventure)
30/32 Skylanders -- 4/4 Levels -- 8/9 Items (Includes VV)
Missing: smilie smilie + Ghost Swords
#6 Posted: 04:35:53 10/06/2015
Interesting point that the "bundling" of both vehicle and figure means they are thinking that even if you purchase one "figure" you will buy the associated vehicle so 12.99 + 14.99 = $27.98 + tax. Doesn't impact the "completionists" but I suspect the number of fans still willing to get them all will fade given the trap situation and the continuing "marginalizing" of existing collections relative to the story line.

Still like the game idea, but it feels like (unlike SSA to SG) that each game is a wipe and repeat. I'm sure that's the point, but I think most have woke up to it all.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#7 Posted: 04:46:29 10/06/2015
I imagine the "collect them all" mega fans are more like myself - the "marginalizing of existing collections" isn't really that big of a deal. I mean, we're still going to buy all 20 figures and 20 vehicles, so even if our 300+ figure collections don't do much in the next game, we're still going to have 40+ new toys to play with.

I mean, really, when the new game comes out, I pretty much load my old figures in once and occasionally get one classic favorite out to play with them again.

Its the folks who only have a small (relatively, of course) amount of figures and don't plan on getting all 40+ toys for SSC who are going to be more upset that the 40+ figures they already have are neutered going forward.
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#8 Posted: 07:27:05 10/06/2015
I don't get why the superchargers cost more. They have no new/extra technology or anything, and are only slightly larger than a core.
Did not enough people fall for trap masters that they had to add a price increase on all the characters? It's not as much of a problem compared to the vehicles, though.

The vehicles should not cost more than a character. It's an accessory, not a standalone character. Characters so far have been full backwards compatible. Accessories? Not so much.
Adventure packs stop unlocking levels in new games.
Traps used to be tag-teaming playable enemies. Now they're just an attack added to the vehicle and a skystone.
Does anyone seriously think a $15 car is going to have the lasting power of a character instead of just this year's gimmick?
---
#all Spyros are valid
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#9 Posted: 07:55:10 10/06/2015
Here is how I see it.

Vehicle costs like old Gimmicklanders... Ok... I guess.
Not only are they the focus of the game but they can also be used as regular toys.
May be worth the price, depens.

SuperChargers priced at 12,99$/€ each... Fine!
I would have been upset if they costed 14,99$/€ too but I'm "happy" with the decision they took.
They aren't true gimmick characters but they aren't regular Cores either; however in my opinion they are closer to the latters.

I do plan on getting all the brand new Skylanders and at least a vehicle per Element so the supercharge isn't a true problem but I can see why it would be for some others.
They should have made SuperChargers able to supercharge any vehicle, a one time buy just like Giants.

Would have been less profitable but much more respectful, if you want to say so.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#10 Posted: 08:40:33 10/06/2015

less figures and the price is up, dont come as a shock at all. people that still believe the saying 'you dont need to buy all' after 4th game should stop believing that phrase . because they always find a new way, also the prices double when you have come half way through the collection. that is what happen here twice at my shops in my country. it is not the shops doing, its activision. the shops want to get rid of the skylanders after 6 months, and use the shelve space for something new. but more money for the shops and more money for the activision, keep the skylanders on the shelves. by the look of it activision raise the price a little at the start (they always do this) to easy people into their game and the cost of it. then they set up the price they really want half way through the release waves. that is their business strategy by the look of it, i am just glade i decided to skip this year super chargers.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:49:42 10/06/2015 by CountMoneyBone
LordElohim Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#11 Posted: 09:48:22 10/06/2015
Quote: Okaps
I don't get why the superchargers cost more. They have no new/extra technology or anything, and are only slightly larger than a core.
Did not enough people fall for trap masters that they had to add a price increase on all the characters? It's not as much of a problem compared to the vehicles, though.

The vehicles should not cost more than a character. It's an accessory, not a standalone character. Characters so far have been full backwards compatible. Accessories? Not so much.
Adventure packs stop unlocking levels in new games.
Traps used to be tag-teaming playable enemies. Now they're just an attack added to the vehicle and a skystone.
Does anyone seriously think a $15 car is going to have the lasting power of a character instead of just this year's gimmick?

You are confusing your terminology. The only Skylanders that are "backward compatible" are the reposes of the original 32, and there is no magic item at all that is backward compatible. The Skylanders games are *forward compatible.* Also, people are failing to understand that the vehicles for this game are being designed as if they were characters, each with a personality very much it's own. In this game, by design, the vehicles are every bit as integral to gameplay as the Skylanders are, meaning each one is every bit as much a character as a Skylander is.
---
Hail Sithis
#12 Posted: 09:52:34 10/06/2015
But Skylanders can be played everywhere.
Vehicles can't.

And they also never made specific characters mandatory to complete a game.
Here you need at least a land vehicle.

I get what you said, they have upgrades, "personality" and look good.
However I cannot consider them as true Skylanders.
They just sound so gimmicky.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#13 Posted: 10:32:50 10/06/2015
The prices are in line with their competitors, DI and Ambiio. I think this is a big factor in price setting. Frankly, I think you get a better value out of a skylander than the other 2, certainly as far as what you can do with the character in game. Besides that, you can look at it as a price increase from a core, or price decrease from a trap master.

As far as fan's feeling the need to get the matching character and vehicle, I don't know that the draw is going to be that strong. If previous games are any indication, you won't need the best combination to beat the game at a medium level. Sure, getting the matching pair supercharged may be graphically impressive, but I don't think that's going to get customers to buy a figure they don't care about just because they like the vehicle...or vice versa.

Overall, I get the impression they are trying to get back to there roots a bit with this. This feels more like a Giants release to me in the number of figures available to buy. We might see less shelf warmers and more previous game figures selling.

In the past, I've gotten all figures. This time may be different as the kids are older and the appeal just isnt' as strong for me. A lot depends on how/when they release the figures and what kind of sales are available.
Blink182Bouncer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1659
#14 Posted: 11:14:41 10/06/2015
Quote: LameLime
In Trap Team. You need to spend about $780 USD/$930 CAD (Including tax) to get all the figures.

Here in Superchargers, even with higher prices, the total cost for everything is $560 USD/$670 CAD

This plus the fact none are reposes that rip anyone off. The returning characters have new move sets.
---
Still Waiting For Legendary Tom DeLonge To Come In The Blink-182 Triple Pack.
WHY DID THEY MAKE MATT SKIBA "CALIFORNIA EDITION EXCLUSIVE"
MetaVolca Green Sparx Gems: 464
#15 Posted: 11:32:05 10/06/2015
Quote: Blink182Bouncer
Quote: LameLime

This plus the fact none are reposes that rip anyone off. The returning characters have new move sets.

Was that 780$ counting traps?
---
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
#16 Posted: 14:53:48 10/06/2015
Quote: melvimbe

As far as fan's feeling the need to get the matching character and vehicle, I don't know that the draw is going to be that strong.

that was said about the trap team and the trap masters too...

oh, i have all these core elements so if i dont have that trap master, i dont care about, i dont need to buy it...

oops, looks like the cores dont open all the elementary gates. now i need to buy all 8 new trap masters and 2 light/dark...

double oops, i bought the light/dark without the adventure packs, i cant fully upgrade them because soul gems is in the adventure levels... now i cant find the adventure packs anymore because i didn't buy them day one, i guess i will never fully upgrade my light/dark figurines..

so dont think for a second that the matching character and vehicle is there for no reason, and for you to only cherry pick.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#17 Posted: 14:57:22 10/06/2015
On that last one,Supercharger like all other games since Giants automatically unlocks old Soul Gems. Crisis averted,though we know it doesn't change anything as long as there's more to complain about.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#18 Posted: 15:03:48 10/06/2015
Quote: Drek95

Wrong: You require a giant to even get past the intro level in Giants.
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
#19 Posted: 15:05:19 10/06/2015
Quote: Nightmoon

Nope, Drek is right. You don't need a Giant - you can destroy the chains with normal moves,it only takes double the time. There's also a nifty story scroll if you ignore Gigantus' instructions and drop down from his hole in ground level.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:07:30 10/06/2015 by Bifrost
#20 Posted: 15:07:20 10/06/2015
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: Nightmoon

Nope, Drek is right. You don't need a Giant - you can destroy the chains with normal moves,it only takes double the time.

I wasn't referring to the chains, but the area where you require a giant to pick up boulders which completely block your path, and a giant drop in order to smash through the floor.
EDIT: Nevermind, forgot that the robot opened up optional paths.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:11:23 10/06/2015 by Nightmoon
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
#21 Posted: 17:52:02 10/06/2015
Didn't VV say in swap force you need a rocket skylander to complete it and that didn't happen, so maybe that might happen with land thing
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#22 Posted: 17:59:05 10/06/2015
Quote: skylandersspyro
Didn't VV say in swap force you need a rocket skylander to complete it and that didn't happen, so maybe that might happen with land thing

I don't recall them saying it; they simply shown a footage from an early version of Iron Jaw Gulch where they simply put a mandatory Rocket Zone to show the new Gimmick.

I do think this might happen with SuperChargers too.
Didn!'t saw any level gameplay so I don't know if the vehicle areas shown in the shorter showcase video are actually mandatory or extras.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:08:37 10/06/2015 by Drek95
Insane01 Gold Sparx Gems: 2038
#23 Posted: 18:58:21 10/06/2015
Plus with low number of characters might reduced number of figures sitting on shelves and pegs. TRU still can't get rid of the older games. I still see lots of Giants and Swap Force, as well as lots of TT starter packs even when Giants was $14 and Swap Force was $19.
My collection is in the 250-260 figure range, but I'm still going to get all of the Superchargers merely out of curiosity and love of the game.
And if you want to talk about prices, LEGO Dimensions is far more expensive. Starter set is $100 and each pack is $15. The only difference is that Dimensions has LOTS of packs coming out, from Back to the Future to Doctor Who, Hobbit/LOTR to Wizard of Oz, Scooby Doo and Simpsons.
Lego Dimensions, I believe, will be Skylander' biggest competition, especially how popular Legos are now.
---
" Am I the mad one or are you?"
then, again, "we're all mad here
"
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#24 Posted: 22:05:39 10/06/2015
I am tad considering I will try to get supercharger and their matching vehicle
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#25 Posted: 23:34:01 10/06/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone

As far as fan's feeling the need to get the matching character and vehicle, I don't know that the draw is going to be that strong.

that was said about the trap team and the trap masters too...

oh, i have all these core elements so if i dont have that trap master, i dont care about, i dont need to buy it...

oops, looks like the cores dont open all the elementary gates. now i need to buy all 8 new trap masters and 2 light/dark...

double oops, i bought the light/dark without the adventure packs, i cant fully upgrade them because soul gems is in the adventure levels... now i cant find the adventure packs anymore because i didn't buy them day one, i guess i will never fully upgrade my light/dark figurines..

so dont think for a second that the matching character and vehicle is there for no reason, and for you to only cherry pick.

While all you said is true, it's completely irrelevant. I stated that I don't think the supercharging effect of matching a figure to vehicle is going to be a big draw. I didn't say Activision won't come up with ways to entice the customer to buy more product, just that this way isn't going to work very well.

We know you'll need a sea or sky type vehicle for certain areas. There likely will be elemental gates, and those could any figure of the element, it might require a supercharger, or it might require a figure. I'd guess a supercharger. And they can always coming up with something completely new...say a fire supercharger driving a magic boat to unlock something or other. We won't know that for awhile still.
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#26 Posted: 01:01:37 11/06/2015
I'm not really upset at the prices as there is no one forcing me to collect them all, especially brand new. My plan, which I've used for Swap Force and Trap Team, is to collect the ones I really want and I'll wait to get others used for a cheap price. Most Skylanders when used goes down to a few bucks after a few months and I have no desire to have one of each anymore.

This time around it'll be better for me as I don't really care about unlocking vehicle related content so I'm not feeling at all forced to buy extra ones to unlock gates like I did with Trap Team. There is no way I'm buying them at retail to play levels which I care nothing about. I didn't do it with Swap Force and I won't do it with SuperChargers. This time around I may even wait for Black Friday to get the starter set at about half it's normal price as I don't feel a need or rush to play SuperChargers at all due to the vehicle content.
---
Stay Cool!
#27 Posted: 03:03:29 11/06/2015
Quote: UncleBob
I imagine the "collect them all" mega fans are more like myself - the "marginalizing of existing collections" isn't really that big of a deal. I mean, we're still going to buy all 20 figures and 20 vehicles, so even if our 300+ figure collections don't do much in the next game, we're still going to have 40+ new toys to play with.

I mean, really, when the new game comes out, I pretty much load my old figures in once and occasionally get one classic favorite out to play with them again.

Its the folks who only have a small (relatively, of course) amount of figures and don't plan on getting all 40+ toys for SSC who are going to be more upset that the 40+ figures they already have are neutered going forward.

Dont necessarily agree. I have everyone one (bought multiple times for my son and I) and I'm not happy that they're actively taking steps for us NOT to explore the game with stuff from previous collections by designing the game more actively to discourage it and now to the point where the game itself forces certain characters to get through the main content. It's the start of the slippery slope. I guess next game when they say "all characters from SSA and SG are not supported" will you just say "that's ok, I'm still going to buy new figures"?

This all looks like the rantings of a madman, until it becomes true.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:04:30 11/06/2015 by TakeYourLemons
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#28 Posted: 06:16:14 11/06/2015
So interesting thing on the pricing differences between Trap Team and Super Chargers...they're not that different. Based on M.S.R.P. with Target, Amazon and Walmart pricing here's what I came up with:

Trap Team:
$74.99 Starter
$35.94 Traps ($5.99 @ 6)
$159.84 Cores (16 Cores @ $9.99)
$239.84 Trap Masters (16 Trap Masters @ $14.99)
$49.98 Adventure Packs (2 Sets @ $24.99)
$59.98 Light & Dark Adventure Packs (2 Sets @ $29.99)

Total $620.57

Super Chargers (assumption # 1):
$74.99 Starter
$233.82 Super Chargers (18 Super Chargers @ $12.99)
$284.81 Vehicles (19 Vehicles @ $14.99)

Total $593.62

Super Chargers (assumption # 2):
$74.99 Starter
$181.86 Super Chargers (14 Super Chargers @ $12.99)
$224.85 Vehicles (15 Vehicles @ $14.99)
$119.96 Adventure Packs (4 Adventure Packs @ $29.99 (assumption)

Total $601.66

As you can see (if my math is right), in both cases Super Chargers SHOULD be cheaper overall if you buy one of everything compared to buying one of everything in Trap Team. Now as stated both guesstimations for Supers Charges could be wrong but they are based on educated guesses.

In regards to older Skylander generations being less relevant...I agree, it sucks. It would be nice for us long term collectors or new comers that have put in effort to hunt down older figures to get a nod of appreciation for our efforts beyond an elemental bonus. Over the last four years I have spent more on Skylanders each year than any other frivolous thing I could spend my money on. There could be other bonuses provided for older figures. Like a veteran bonus that provides extra permanent global Armor if you have so many characters from certain elements. For example: 5 Legacy Earth Landers gets you 5 Armor, 10 gets you +10, 20 gets you +20, etc. All of the Legacy Earth Landers could earn you a cool hat on top of the bonus. Just something, anything to show "hey thanks for supporting the game with $400-$600 in purchases every year". I don't know any other type of media/gaming that has this price tag to experience it all and on an annual basis. Hell W.o.W. is $14.99 each month with an expac. every other year for about $49.99 and that's ever expanding content and it's only $179.88 every year.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:19:22 11/06/2015 by Tigorus
#29 Posted: 07:03:29 11/06/2015
Yeah makes sense. Patiently awaiting some magical "a ha" moment -- very odd the lack of fanfare and buzz this year as compared to last year or year before. They almost look as fatigued as we do. smilie
#30 Posted: 07:45:09 11/06/2015

Dont necessarily agree. I have everyone one (bought multiple times for my son and I) and I'm not happy that they're actively taking steps for us NOT to explore the game with stuff from previous collections by designing the game more actively to discourage it and now to the point where the game itself forces certain characters to get through the main content. It's the start of the slippery slope. I guess next game when they say "all characters from SSA and SG are not supported" will you just say "that's ok, I'm still going to buy new figures"?

Not at all.

It's obvious they are trying to push the gimmick in any possible way this year by focusing the game almost entirely on it, and even making a gimmick figure mandatory for the very first time.

However, I like to think about this whole vehicle thing as something that eventually would have happened... And now it did.
Like "phew, ok, we got past it and it didn't hurt that much. What's next now?".

This is a purely subjective opinion.
This is the "lowest" point in the series in terms of characters focus and fatures and it all goes along with the theme... But they cannot make it any worse (unless they focus on shooting and sport next year and I sincerely hope NOT).

I'm sure next year we will return at what Skylanders should be in terms of characters importance and features and hopefully TfB will be able to give us a fresh experience without having to change so much the core gameplay.

Again I LOVE this game so far, it looks awesome and fun to play, but to me (and looks like I'm not the only one) it differs too much from what I would like this series to be.
And no, vehicles are not the main "problem": the consequences of the way they have been introduced are what doesn't convince me.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#31 Posted: 10:27:44 11/06/2015

Are you referring to yourself as a madman or Uncle Bob? I share Bob's opinion on this, so perhaps that makes me mad. Honestly, for most of SF, I had little desire to put an older figure on the portal. When done, it was for 3 possible reasons. The first being just to boost the figure count and get the extra bonus (whatever that was). The second being just to get all the old guys fully upgraded...which was kind of pointless at that point. Lastly, I put stealth elf on occasionally, just as she was my favorite to play as.

For TT, I don't think I put an old figure on at all...not unless you count an elite as old. So, if they started de-supportting older figures, how would that effect my experience? I don't even think it would diminish the monetary value (what little there actually is) of my collection.
#32 Posted: 13:35:58 11/06/2015
Yeah makes sense. Patiently awaiting some magical "a ha" moment -- very odd the lack of fanfare and buzz this year as compared to last year or year before. They almost look as fatigued as we do. smilie

after last year backlash of trap team and amiibos, lego, disney starwars arriving. skylanders is just losing its strong hold, and it sure dont help with 50% of the new game have become mario kart, instead of platform brawls. alienating your adult audience that is the back bone and have the money to spend, is not a good choice.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:38:01 11/06/2015 by CountMoneyBone
temperedreason Yellow Sparx Gems: 1351
#33 Posted: 13:39:01 11/06/2015
I'm fine with it. Still way cheaper than what I paid for all of Eon's Elite.

I'm just worried about where I'm going to store all of these vehicles.
#34 Posted: 13:59:53 11/06/2015
Quote: Tigorus

Trap Team:
$35.94 Traps ($5.99 @ 6)
$159.84 Cores (16 Cores @ $9.99)
$239.84 Trap Masters (16 Trap Masters @ $14.99)

Corrections:
7 (minimum) traps: 10 elements + 1 Kaos - 2 starter - 2 expansion packs = 11-4=7
15 cores/trap masters: 18 total - 1 starter - 2 adventure/expansion packs = 18-3=15

However, Trap Team had a lot of side stuff beyond the main set of new characters and minimum number of traps to drive up the total prices. Things that are unlikely to return in Superchargers. Eon's Elite, minis, a few series+, a ton of trap options. Not counting the usual variants, as those are certain to return in Superchargers. Even with variant vehicles, they won't get close to the absurd number of available traps.

Prices are good, reduced number of tacked on stuff is extremely good. I'm very glad they followed up the reduction of series+ and scrapped lightcore with cutting off even more tat, even if they've replaced it with another new approach to returning characters. I like the idea of repurposed older figures more than "ooh, lights!"/"ooh, a new attack!"/"d'aww, so tiny and cute!"/"ooh, gold base and OP stats!".

Disclaimer: I do admit some of the minis are cute (especially Breeze >w<), but I don't support them simply shrinking a character and calling it new (didn't really like them as sidekicks either). Make cute cores in stead! I will get Gnarly Barkley (or normal, if I find a cheap loose), mainly because I really want a pair of: Tree Rex & Barkley and unlike before, he's more easily available for a decent price.
---
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#35 Posted: 16:09:13 11/06/2015
Has there been any proof that you need a vehicle to complete the game? I thought they only opened portal rifts, which were this game's version of elemental gates. Can you not get through the game without going through the portal rifts? I would say it didn't matter since the game comes with a vehicle. Although, I'm not sure how that would work with the digital copy. Is there an instant vehicle? I couldn't remember.
#36 Posted: 16:12:32 11/06/2015
Quote: obidawsn
Has there been any proof that you need a vehicle to complete the game? I thought they only opened portal rifts, which were this game's version of elemental gates. Can you not get through the game without going through the portal rifts? I would say it didn't matter since the game comes with a vehicle. Although, I'm not sure how that would work with the digital copy. Is there an instant vehicle? I couldn't remember.

Lou said you'll need a land vehicle to go through the story mode, but he could've always been mistaken since the demo level was edited to only include what they wanted to show.
---
Jeriba Yellow Sparx Gems: 1168
#37 Posted: 17:24:14 11/06/2015
No idea if I'am the only here that is thinking about to buy the Dive Bomber and the Sky Slicer together with their drivers at day one, but to play the game first only with the Hot Streak. Because my main focus will be furthermore to explore the new areas of the Skylands like the other games.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#38 Posted: 20:04:55 11/06/2015
Not gonna lie at first I wasn't too happy with the prices, but less items to buy does balance it out in the end. I was either way gonna get the stuff when they are on sale and only get what I desperately need from the beginning.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#39 Posted: 00:40:43 12/06/2015
I guess next game when they say "all characters from SSA and SG are not supported" will you just say "that's ok, I'm still going to buy new figures"?

This would be a dangerous move.

While the "Going to get everything" folks would be less concerned with this, the casual players (and, more specifically, their parents) won't like that. And while we crazy "get everything" fans might be better connected with one another, the casual players far, far outnumber us and buy way more figures than we do (total). I seriously think completely removing the ability to use old figures in the game will kill the series.
#40 Posted: 00:53:07 12/06/2015

Are you referring to yourself as a madman or Uncle Bob? I share Bob's opinion on this, so perhaps that makes me mad. Honestly, for most of SF, I had little desire to put an older figure on the portal. When done, it was for 3 possible reasons. The first being just to boost the figure count and get the extra bonus (whatever that was). The second being just to get all the old guys fully upgraded...which was kind of pointless at that point. Lastly, I put stealth elf on occasionally, just as she was my favorite to play as.

For TT, I don't think I put an old figure on at all...not unless you count an elite as old. So, if they started de-supportting older figures, how would that effect my experience? I don't even think it would diminish the monetary value (what little there actually is) of my collection.

No, my rantings. I'm the madman. Just saying it's becoming more and more obvious of the gimmick integration with every game. Granted all the games FORCED the gimmick, but now it's in the way of completing the level. It wasn't introduced in a ncessarily negative manner, but for TT they introduced a great concept to literally pan it the very next game. Again, it made sense to not include villains, but it still negatively hits on the trust factor and customers won't necessarily buy into the next gimmick because the future value is shoddy. They should stick to keeping the gimmick skylanders or find a way to introduce these additional concepts with an "up front" understanding given to us on future value. I'm still kinda pissed that they knew the answer to traps when they introduced it last year, but wanted to rake in the sales before punching us in the gut. I guess the good news is most (myself included) saw this a mile away.

Ironically, because of the sheer large figure count of TT, I didn't really invest a lot of time playing older figures. Another part of that was that there was no additional content to keep me engaged. I will definitely do that this time since the number of figures are 70% down this year. VV did an awesome job of keeping me interested long after story mode was finished---hope they pull that off again.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:57:12 12/06/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#41 Posted: 10:23:37 12/06/2015
I don't really see how not bring full trap functionality was a gut punch. As you said, you expected this. So going forward, I'll be buying the vehicles with the expectation that they will none, or extremely limited functionality in Sky 6 and beyond. Which is fine by me.

Honestly, I find last years skylanders more useful then many current DI figures, so it really isn't that big of a problem for me.
Blink182Bouncer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1659
#42 Posted: 10:55:31 12/06/2015
I don't know about buying vehicles considering they probably won't work in Sky 6
I see every character as an investment into the future as it'll be harder to find and thusforth more novel character in future games
---
Still Waiting For Legendary Tom DeLonge To Come In The Blink-182 Triple Pack.
WHY DID THEY MAKE MATT SKIBA "CALIFORNIA EDITION EXCLUSIVE"
LordElohim Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#43 Posted: 11:27:32 12/06/2015
See, there is no version of future Skylanders games, in my opinion, in which the vehicles do nothing. They will have diminished use, definitely, but every piece ever released still does something. Depending on how they go about it, I can picture the vehicles being more useful in the next game than this one. What if they make the vehicles magic items, that act like the Sidekicks used to, only they fire weapons while following the player, on a timer. Like some of the weapon battle pack items already do, but essentially adding 20 new ones.
---
Hail Sithis
LoveProfusion15 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1701
#44 Posted: 16:56:30 12/06/2015
I am okay with the prices. It seems that they would try and do it opposite by having the new guys remain at 14.99 like the past and price the vehicles cheaper since they are more or less accessories. I can see the vehicles selling more if they were cheaper. I'm not too sure that I would want to buy all of the vehicles, but I know once I got a few, I would need to get them all. I'm just hoping that there are some amazing designs.
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#45 Posted: 01:31:30 13/06/2015
Kaos has his own car...........kinda see where the end game is going with this.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
#46 Posted: 01:39:44 13/06/2015
Quote: WickedRogue
Kaos has his own car...........kinda see where the end game is going with this.

He doesn't have a car of his own that we know of,he has a head-shaped war machine. What we have on vehicles is a Kaos-Elemental powerup.
---
#47 Posted: 04:00:28 13/06/2015
I don't really see how not bring full trap functionality was a gut punch. As you said, you expected this. So going forward, I'll be buying the vehicles with the expectation that they will none, or extremely limited functionality in Sky 6 and beyond. Which is fine by me.

Honestly, I find last years skylanders more useful then many current DI figures, so it really isn't that big of a problem for me.

Why should we hold ourselves up to the standard of the distant competitor? I have higher expectations than that... gut punch, bee sting whatever. I guess we do have more money than sense.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me