darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > The future of the Skylanders Franchise.
Page 1 of 1
The future of the Skylanders Franchise.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#1 Posted: 00:17:50 02/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Since we'll see the Official reveal of Skylanders: Super Chargers, I'm curious, what do you think the future of Skylanders is like? Gonna last a long time? Gonna die soon?

I think it'll last longer then people think. People said Pokemon would die when it was at it's highest peak of it's popularity, but look where it is now, still massively popular.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
ultyzaus Yellow Sparx Gems: 1700
#2 Posted: 00:29:19 02/06/2015
I think they may bring some great improvement in the next installments that will make the franchise stand out even more. Gut feeling I'd say.
---
http://ultyzarus.deviantart.com/
223/254, 17 superchargers, 14 vehicles
Characters missing: Rocky Roll, Splat, Nightfall, Thrillipede
SkylanderGoo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1195
#3 Posted: 00:43:26 02/06/2015
I know other parents are getting sick of spending lots of money on them and Complain they take up too much space. You have to hope to attract new gamers as you go to make it viable.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#4 Posted: 01:31:29 02/06/2015
Quote: ultyzaus
I think they may bring some great improvement in the next installments that will make the franchise stand out even more. Gut feeling I'd say.

I may be proven wrong, but VV earned their rep with me on Swap Force. I personally have higher expectations than what I received in TT. Granted what I like/want will vary from others, but VV's effort spoke to me much more than the last installment.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:32:20 02/06/2015 by TakeYourLemons
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#5 Posted: 03:51:00 02/06/2015
I expect more playability in this game compared to TT
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#6 Posted: 07:10:11 02/06/2015
I think it will last for a loooong time.

Regarding the quality I think a lot depends on how this game will do.
Vehicles seem like a concept so far from the series as a whole... If they'll work in a great, creative and most importantly not forced way, then this franchise will have nothing to fear.

Until they introduce sports or turn it into an FPS... *gosh*
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Skylander3112 Gold Sparx Gems: 2115
#7 Posted: 07:24:26 02/06/2015
I think it would last as long as the Doctor Who TV series
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#8 Posted: 08:55:01 02/06/2015
It'll last as long as they know what to do with it. Don't milk it to death like Guitar Hero(I don't care if it's coming back we know why it left to begin with), don't make 90% of the game the same throught the years like certain FPS and sports series, let some smaller groups of Skylanders have smaller games in different genres to keep the franchise fresh but not radically changing every year to repeat oldschool Spyro's mistakes.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#9 Posted: 11:51:22 02/06/2015
skylanders as a franchise hit its peak with swap force. with trap team they clearly made many mistakes, and it was noticeable loss in sales. when compared to earlier skylanders games. the super charger game is upon us soon, but i am sure it will not do as good as they think it will do. it for sure dont help to have the amiibo, disney infinity starwars and lego invading your 'toys comes to life' marked either. with the trap team game the figures wasnt showing up at stores, stores quit giving the game shelve space, and stopped taking in any new after wave3 etc. the trap team game expanded to too much to buy with traps, for a lot of people. the game had a lot of bugs and looked more unfinshed than any other game in the series. then on top of that it locked out the core figurines from the gates. this just soured customers willingness to invest more into the game after a while... i fear this will just escalate with super chargers. but will see its early days yet.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:57:55 02/06/2015 by CountMoneyBone
Chi3f Red Sparx Gems: 44
#10 Posted: 13:32:22 02/06/2015
Amiibo will probably take over if Nintendo amps up the production.
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#11 Posted: 13:36:21 02/06/2015
Quote: Skylander3112

TThat would be awesome!
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
SkylanderGoo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1195
#12 Posted: 14:08:36 02/06/2015
Quote: Chi3f

I still can't figure out what amiibos do
CookieCutter Green Sparx Gems: 295
#13 Posted: 14:23:30 02/06/2015
Quote: Snap Shot
Quote: Skylander3112

TThat would be awesome!

Do we have to kill off the main characters and replace them with younger, better-looking ones?
#10 and Donna-the best team yet.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#14 Posted: 14:41:53 02/06/2015
Quote: SkylanderGoo

read this,,
http://www.nintendolife.com/ne...cial_challenges
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#15 Posted: 15:40:58 02/06/2015

I doubt it seeing as nobody can figure out what Amiibos do and even in games where they do work, they don't do anything compelling enough to purchase them all. At present, they're great little statues of various Nintendo properties (original or licensed) and that's about it. Not enough to get worried about, IMHO.

See?! (Amen, SkylanderGoo, amen.)

Quote: CountMoneyBone

Ok, so that's 2-3 out of...how many? If 95% of all Skylanders didn't do anything out of the pack, how successful do you think they would be? Or how about if Toys for Bob waited for Giants or Swap Force (2nd or 3rd generations of games compatible with Skylanders) to make them actually start to do stuff universally? Amiibos aren't a success story, at least not in the way that Skylanders has been.

Infinity trades on Micky's reputation. Amiibo's trade on nostalgia toward Nintendo properties. Skylanders? They actually have a fun concept and multiple fun games. There's a clear winner here, IMHO.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#16 Posted: 17:59:54 02/06/2015
Still wish this forum had a "Like" Button (Like's darkshylde's post).

Numbers wise, Swap Force was the pinnacle if I recall, though I honestly feel as though this entry (Trap Team) may have had the 'widest' fan base release i.e. more new customers than Swap Force.

With that said, I feel it's downhill at this point. Time.Ascension==Time.Fall. Unless they do something SUPER shocking tomorrow, the game will still boil down to Basic game with paywall that 'barely' rewards those who spend at least $100 on top of the base game. And that's assuming 'SuperCharge' isn't some racing clone or something and plays more like it usually does but with...cars. And subs. and planes.

Honestly, even if they do blow the doors off, the $$$ connotation associated with the game has grown and become more and more of a turn-off to new parents, and a turn off to some of us with big collections already, like me personally there just isn't enough game for all the figures - point blank period...and it cost too much.

Until they can reverse that financial trend of being a big money grab, I don't see numbers improving.
- Unreall
#17 Posted: 18:28:02 02/06/2015
Quote: darkchylde28

I doubt it seeing as nobody can figure out what Amiibos do and even in games where they do work, they don't do anything compelling enough to purchase them all. At present, they're great little statues of various Nintendo properties (original or licensed) and that's about it. Not enough to get worried about, IMHO.

See?! (Amen, SkylanderGoo, amen.)

Quote: CountMoneyBone

Ok, so that's 2-3 out of...how many? If 95% of all Skylanders didn't do anything out of the pack, how successful do you think they would be? Or how about if Toys for Bob waited for Giants or Swap Force (2nd or 3rd generations of games compatible with Skylanders) to make them actually start to do stuff universally? Amiibos aren't a success story, at least not in the way that Skylanders has been.

Infinity trades on Micky's reputation. Amiibo's trade on nostalgia toward Nintendo properties. Skylanders? They actually have a fun concept and multiple fun games. There's a clear winner here, IMHO.

-Doug

Yes, yes and YES!

Infinity? I can understand it.

Amiibos...?
Not as they are right now.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#18 Posted: 19:00:23 02/06/2015
Racing games are normally Franchise killers, just saying.
#19 Posted: 19:26:40 02/06/2015
Quote: Akseyomiht

That's (also) why I hope it isn't a racing game.

Luckily the introduction of vehicles doesn't necessarily mean that this game will turn into a racing-focused one.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#20 Posted: 19:53:51 02/06/2015

Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Crash Team Racing and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing are great racing games and didn't kill one of the IP's.

I don't think SuperChargers will be a racing game, but a Skylanders Kart (as a spin-off) would be nice. :>
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#21 Posted: 20:15:41 02/06/2015
Quote: XSparxX
Racing games are [NORMALLY] Franchise killers, just saying.

Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Crash Team Racing and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing are great racing games and didn't kill one of the IP's.

I don't think SuperChargers will be a racing game, but a Skylanders Kart (as a spin-off) would be nice. :>

I knew someone will say "BUT MARIO KART IS GOOD BRUH"
I can mention a large amount of kart games that killed franchises, there are exception indeed.
Diddy kong racing is a rippoff that took advantage of Mario kart popularity.
Sonic franchise after 2006, please not this again, let sonic rest in peace please.
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#22 Posted: 20:22:35 02/06/2015
Quote: XSparxX
Racing games are [NORMALLY] Franchise killers, just saying.

I knew someone will say "BUT MARIO KART IS GOOD BRUH"
I can mention a large amount of kart games that killed franchises, there are exception indeed.
Diddy kong racing is a rippoff that took advantage of Mario kart popularity.
Sonic franchise after 2006, please not this again, let sonic rest in peace please.

Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, especially Generations, we're two of the best Sonic games ever made. And I've been playing since Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega.
#23 Posted: 20:25:17 02/06/2015
But none of them is a main-series title.

Think about skipping a year of Super Mario or Donkey Kong to get a karting game instead.
No problem if they want to do a Skylanders Karting spin-off but main games shouldn't change this much.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#24 Posted: 20:29:06 02/06/2015
Quote: Drek95

Think about skipping a year of Super Mario or Donkey Kong to get a karting game instead.
No problem if they want to do a Skylanders Karting spin-off but main games shouldn't change this much.

I agree. I don't think it's a racing game. It just has racing as a side game. Sort of like the numerous side games the previous entries have had. Think of it like heroics, quests, swap zones, Kaos mode, Brock's arena. All extra.
#25 Posted: 21:12:06 02/06/2015
They're not talking about mainline Sonic guys,they're talking about Riders. The first was good,the second was meh, and oh, the third one, let's not talk about that one.
---
#26 Posted: 21:22:24 02/06/2015
Quote: Bifrost
They're not talking about mainline Sonic guys,they're talking about Riders. The first was good,the second was meh, and oh, the third one, let's not talk about that one.

Riders. Was that the one with the hoverboards?
#27 Posted: 21:34:45 02/06/2015
That one,hoverboards,hoverbikes and roller skates because why not.The first two games were passable but I tried the third out on a demo at a store and almost twisted a limb trying to do the motions, and the reviews are just as harsh with it.
---
#28 Posted: 21:45:44 02/06/2015
Quote: GinjaNinja

I agree. I don't think it's a racing game. It just has racing as a side game. Sort of like the numerous side games the previous entries have had. Think of it like heroics, quests, swap zones, Kaos mode, Brock's arena. All extra.

And maybe there will be larger areas to explore that may encourage the use of fast vehicles without forcing the gimmick.

It's actually a possibility since Kaos might be making the Skylands collapse by pulling them together thus "crushing" them and creating larger islands.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#29 Posted: 21:50:25 02/06/2015
Quote: Bifrost
That one,hoverboards,hoverbikes and roller skates because why not.The first two games were passable but I tried the third out on a demo at a store and almost twisted a limb trying to do the motions, and the reviews are just as harsh with it.

Ah, ok. Yea, I had the first one, wasn't a bad spin off. Never played 2 or 3, as at the time I didn't have a wii or a kinect.

Quote: GinjaNinja

And maybe there will be larger areas to explore that may encourage the use of fast vehicles without forcing the gimmick.

It's actually a possibility since Kaos might be making the Skylands collapse by pulling them together thus "crushing" them and creating larger islands.

I'd be ok with this. Might be fun to finally see a "continent" in Skylands.
#30 Posted: 21:56:49 02/06/2015
Quote: BOOMCAKE
Hi I am new here and also exciting for the new skylanders.

I am just messaging you guys that eurogamer.net updated their skylanders:supercharger page with a tiny little covershot.

http://www.eurogamer.net/games/skylanders-superchargers
[User Posted Image]

Well come to smilie and... OUTSANDING news!

Really, really well done! smilie

I would suggest you to post it on the official news topic at the top of the "SuperChargers" section.

It's small but can see quite well S4 Trigger Happy, Stealthy Elf and Terrafin.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me