darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Am I the Only One Who Just Wants Cores?
Page 1 of 1
Am I the Only One Who Just Wants Cores?
Swap Force Fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 4095
#1 Posted: 15:14:52 01/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Am I the only one that just wants 40 new cores for the next game? I mean, come on, the gimmicks are nice and everything, but I'm just getting tired of the gimmicks. I think they should just have a game that's just like the first game, just cores. That's what I loved about skylanders. I mean, I didn't mind Giants, but after that it just deteriorated for me. At this point in time, I just want cores. I think it would still be a successful game, even without a gimmick. Just make some fun, useful cores, and a more broad, detailed gameplay. That would be perfect to me.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:09:01 02/06/2015 by Swap Force Fan
ImDoubleTrouble Gold Sparx Gems: 2435
#2 Posted: 15:40:44 01/06/2015
Then people complain how the franchise isn't innovating enough. I personally like the gimmick characters as they're all unique and part of a set. swap force characters are still unique, same with giants and the trap masters with translucent weapons. I say bring on the supercharger gimmick characters.
---
smilie Ooga BOO! smilie
Plordigian Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#3 Posted: 15:44:16 01/06/2015
Innovation is indeed a necessity. Not gonna argue with more attention to detail in regards to increasing the quality of the gameplay experience; this would definitely be an improvement over the last offering.

While there's a lot to be said for Spyro's Adventure's nostalgic purity and**simplicity, no one forces us to collect and use the gimmicks every year. Isn't it possible to just ignore them, and enjoy the sections of the game that can be explored using cores only?
---
1Jn47
Garygoh884 Gold Sparx Gems: 2854
#4 Posted: 16:14:02 01/06/2015
Looking through how Giants and Trap Masters works, both seemed like "Use these Skylanders for the MOST AWESOME experience" kinda thing. Why should we buy them just for further access to locked locations for a high price to pay? Probably both gimmicklanders were only meant for Flynn's attention.

Without having a console game of Skylanders, reading the preview comics gave me explanations of Flynn's personality. Whenever comes to "BOOM!", he probably saw the most awesome thing in Skylands ever, or another scenario like 'TT bios', it's strange how the characters' backstories were awesome-fied, or Flynn-Style. All the previous backstories seemed to be fine for most of us.

The aim of the Skylanders series as of now (Trap Team) seemed to be directed to just kids for 'Flynn-tastic' moments. SWAP Force's direction is targetted not only for kids, but we, awed on the great new characters, core or SWAP Force. Giants seemed to be similar to what Trap Team does. Crushing enemies with Giants is what triggers Flynn's target moments. On the other side, only a few new characters caught the attention of what we like to experience.

Skylanders seemed to be a periodic cycle of good and bad stuff each year a new Skylanders game is released to the market. Odd number series to us seemed good, but we may be concerned with even numbers... am I right?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:15:38 01/06/2015 by Garygoh884
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#5 Posted: 16:42:56 01/06/2015
No you are not the only one.
That's my secret dream.

I think innovation each year is needed (if not drastical) but needs to be accomplished inside the game not with the toys.
Frankly so far and based on what we know this vehicles/SuperChargers gimmick is not convining me.

I've said it a lot of times: gimmick characters are welcomed but only if they can TRULY bring something new and exciting.
Giants? Sure!
Swappers? AWESOME gimmick.
Trap Masters...? Eh... Not so much (luckily traps were the true focus).
Vehicles...? Mmmmh...

I also personally think SWAP Force is more kids oriented (if we want to say so) rather than Giants, Trap Team and particularly SA.
It looks new, shiny and more "mature" but it's really more goofy, cartoony and silly.
A lot of the SWAP Force Skylanders are truly amazing but same can be said for the other games.
So far I've yet to find a set of characters I entirely dislike (even a single character I like them all, more or less).

Saying Trap Team is childish compared to SWAP Force only because of Flynn is a bit exaggerated in my opinion.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#6 Posted: 16:57:23 01/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I don't think every game should have just cores, but just one every now and then. 3 gimmick games in a row? I think they should have a break from gimmicks, and go to cores for a whole game. It would be a good start for new portal masters. I think they should try an open world game of skylanders.
#7 Posted: 17:08:48 01/06/2015
Quote: Swap Force Fan
I don't think every game should have just cores, but just one every now and then. 3 gimmick games in a row? I think they should have a break from gimmicks, and go to cores for a whole game. It would be a good start for new portal masters. I think they should try an open world game of skylanders.

Yes, absolutely.

Take a break and have 3 years to think about a TRULY awesome gimmick.
About open world I think having vehicles inside the game could hint at a really big world (or at least hub).
There is a decent possibility it may happen. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#8 Posted: 17:47:12 01/06/2015
Quote: ImDoubleTrouble
Then people complain how the franchise isn't innovating enough. I personally like the gimmick characters as they're all unique and part of a set. swap force characters are still unique, same with giants and the trap masters with translucent weapons. I say bring on the supercharger gimmick characters.

Honest Truth.

The gimmicks hold back real innovation.

Let's be 100% and get out of our Skylander feelings.

Giants were really just cores used as a Paywall.

Swap Force let you change one of your attacks and function as a new Paywall, with additional content that most likely you didn't do more than twice.

Trap Team 2 sometimes 3 'extra' attacks that could be swapped out, a time based *shield (villain). Oh the trap Masters were really just cores who did extra dmg at times and functioned as another Paywall.

ABSOLUTELY NONE of the gimmicks have actually been a real innovation, merely adding some customizing options.

Frankly, the new gimmick reaks of Swap force, put a vehicle on the portal and ride it for another attack that can be swapped out with another vehicle. Areas will be locked based on vehicle types that will most likely be rip offs of Swap Force. That's fine, I'm not throwing shade at it, but we have to be honest....that in itself isn't innovation.

Innovation is adjustments to gameplay. SMB3 was super innovative for it time as a platformer, the ability to go the route you wanted? To redo levels? World Unlocks? It was all new ideas that truly changed the gameplay.

NONE of the gimmicks have changed gameplay, mash these three buttons. That's been the game.

So the OP asking for a focus on cores and content can lead to BETTER 'innovation' than limiting themselves to focusing so much on the gimmick. Doing some guess work, Trap Team was built around the regular gameplay, Kaos was the ONLY time it was truly beneficial to use traps. Then all the extra energy went into the traps to the point that they 'gutted' magic and cut fat from other elements to build the dark/light villains. A fresh take on the core gameplay would be more welcome than 'here is a paywall gimmick!'.
- Unreall
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#9 Posted: 18:19:28 01/06/2015
Gimmicks are a side circus....the real innovation should be the game itself FIRST. Innovate (if required) the toys AROUND THAT. Philosophical approach I've been preaching.

Future compatibility is going to break with this stuff unless they do it smartly. It's one of the reasons why I'm not optimistic about traps coming along for the ride.
#10 Posted: 18:47:51 01/06/2015
Quote: Unreallystic
Quote: ImDoubleTrouble

Honest Truth.

The gimmicks hold back real innovation.

Let's be 100% and get out of our Skylander feelings.

Giants were really just cores used as a Paywall.

Swap Force let you change one of your attacks and function as a new Paywall, with additional content that most likely you didn't do more than twice.

Trap Team 2 sometimes 3 'extra' attacks that could be swapped out, a time based *shield (villain). Oh the trap Masters were really just cores who did extra dmg at times and functioned as another Paywall.

ABSOLUTELY NONE of the gimmicks have actually been a real innovation, merely adding some customizing options.

Frankly, the new gimmick reaks of Swap force, put a vehicle on the portal and ride it for another attack that can be swapped out with another vehicle. Areas will be locked based on vehicle types that will most likely be rip offs of Swap Force. That's fine, I'm not throwing shade at it, but we have to be honest....that in itself isn't innovation.

Innovation is adjustments to gameplay. SMB3 was super innovative for it time as a platformer, the ability to go the route you wanted? To redo levels? World Unlocks? It was all new ideas that truly changed the gameplay.

NONE of the gimmicks have changed gameplay, mash these three buttons. That's been the game.

So the OP asking for a focus on cores and content can lead to BETTER 'innovation' than limiting themselves to focusing so much on the gimmick. Doing some guess work, Trap Team was built around the regular gameplay, Kaos was the ONLY time it was truly beneficial to use traps. Then all the extra energy went into the traps to the point that they 'gutted' magic and cut fat from other elements to build the dark/light villains. A fresh take on the core gameplay would be more welcome than 'here is a paywall gimmick!'.
- Unreall

I mostly agree with what you said but would like to point out a few things.

Swappers also let you combine some of the abilities and encourage experiments with the various combinations.
And the majority of trappable villains offer strategic abilities which can help the Skylanders when switching to them.

Absolutely not true "innovations" in my opinion but still not as simple as they may seem.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#11 Posted: 19:42:17 01/06/2015
Vehicles should alter the gameplay more than the Giants, Swappers and the occasional trappable Villains in previous games.
---
bye
CookieCutter Green Sparx Gems: 295
#12 Posted: 22:50:49 01/06/2015
I'd love to have a game with a handful of new cores (20--2 of each element), just to have a few new critters to play with, but have areas where each type of gimmicklander is needed. With trap team, I've been really disconnected to the new characters. Many are still in the package. I park them on the portal, play a little kaos doom challenge to get ranked up, then don't touch them again. Kinda sad, really.

Wonder what kind of reaction Activision would get with a new game-NO new portal-NO characters-NO gimmick, just a game where all the characters you already have can be played. $40 buys a new adventure.

I'd like one where all the old level pieces unlocked new levels. They'd have to remarket the pieces for people who don't have them.
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#13 Posted: 22:59:03 01/06/2015
People need to stop these "Am I the only one topics" ask your question in the topic title.

As for your question. There will likely be a bunch of cores anyway if cores are all you are interested in then just buy the cores.
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#14 Posted: 00:14:39 02/06/2015
I want to see 20 cores and 10-20 vehicles.
#15 Posted: 00:55:07 02/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: mantez
People need to stop these "Am I the only one topics" ask your question in the topic title.

As for your question. There will likely be a bunch of cores anyway if cores are all you are interested in then just buy the cores.

My bad, will fix the title.
captainzombie Green Sparx Gems: 459
#16 Posted: 01:43:56 02/06/2015
I think Activision got away with having $14.99 Trapmasters unlock the elemental gates and then most of us buying $5.99 traps for each element in Trap Team where some bought 2-3+ traps for each element. Granted I got most of these cheaper through my Best Buy GCU discount, it all adds up. I don't mind a gimmicklander like what was done with Giants, but cores should of opened up the elemental gates in Trap Team.

Now we are getting yet another new portal, which means that traps may not even be compatible in Superchargers.

Don't get me wrong, having vehicles is a cool idea and I wish they would of introduced this a game or two ago. The pricing can be killer here since I can see the vehicles costing $9.99-$14.99 and what if the Superchargers are $9.99-$14.99, then add the cores at $9.99. Now that we have 10 elements, things have only gotten more expensive.

I'll wait till Wednesday to see the details, but I don't think this will be a day 1 for me anymore and I'll wait for when these get to be dirt cheap.
Garygoh884 Gold Sparx Gems: 2854
#17 Posted: 02:07:00 02/06/2015
I've thought the best strategy for developing Trap Team was: "Giants were the most awesome thing in Skylands. Put another similar idea into next game to DOUBLE THE AWESOME." For SWAP Force, they aren't as big as Giants but all here looks great for us.

Picking out the strategy used from Giants, Trap Masters. Predicted by Activision, this would prove the Trap Masters to be the "#1 hit in the entire universe", and/or self-proclaiming them as the ultimate Skylanders, and even the upcoming game itself. The gates of SWAP Force allows us to open by either singleplayer or multiplayer, depending whether you have a SWAP Force member or not. However, the gates of Trap Team only opens using Trap Masters - why should we buy them to access them? Activision's funds on Skylanders seemed to be staggering, therefore only Traptanium gates, instead of SWAP Force gates, will be used for that upcoming game to encourage us to buy the Trap Masters at a higher price.
esrever Green Sparx Gems: 207
#18 Posted: 02:18:00 02/06/2015
I keep waiting for the day that Skylanders eliminates the Cores entirely.

In Trap Team, Cores were incapable of accessing or unlocking any exclusive areas whatsoever... for the first time ever. They deliberately reduced their functionality, hurting their perceived and presumably their sales, to bolster the utility and sales of the larger figures. (And based on how the later cores seem to have been manufactured in much smaller numbers than the later Trap Masters -- I'd say they were successful.)

Both Amiibo and Disney Infinity exclusively use figures that are slightly larger and more expensive than the Skylanders Cores. I think there's a good chance that in Superchargers, the "Core" scale figures will be eliminated, and that ALL the reposed characters (like Stealth Elf) will be built at a new larger, more expensive scale. This creates a greater motive to rebuy a character you already have -- not only would it be larger, but it would also be a necessary purchase in order to have a version of the character that has the kind of base needed to fit into a vehicle.
#19 Posted: 02:29:54 02/06/2015
Quote: esrever

In Trap Team, Cores were incapable of accessing or unlocking any exclusive areas whatsoever... for the first time ever. They deliberately reduced their functionality, hurting their perceived and presumably their sales, to bolster the utility and sales of the larger figures. (And based on how the later cores seem to have been manufactured in much smaller numbers than the later Trap Masters -- I'd say they were successful.)

Both Amiibo and Disney Infinity exclusively use figures that are slightly larger and more expensive than the Skylanders Cores. I think there's a good chance that in Superchargers, the "Core" scale figures will be eliminated, and that ALL the reposed characters (like Stealth Elf) will be built at a new larger, more expensive scale. This creates a greater motive to rebuy a character you already have -- not only would it be larger, but it would also be a necessary purchase in order to have a version of the character that has the kind of base needed to fit into a vehicle.

Makes sense, in a sad way. However, having choice of character form factors is a plus for me.
superhalite Blue Sparx Gems: 970
#20 Posted: 02:36:40 02/06/2015
Gimmicks should be a special occasion thing in my opinion.
---
We rely too much on technology yes that is true,but it's not going anywhere.
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#21 Posted: 03:46:16 02/06/2015
Hard to judge yet but I think they're running out of ideas
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#22 Posted: 07:06:07 02/06/2015
Quote: Garygoh884
I've thought the best strategy for developing Trap Team was: "Giants were the most awesome thing in Skylands. Put another similar idea into next game to DOUBLE THE AWESOME." For SWAP Force, they aren't as big as Giants but all here looks great for us.

Picking out the strategy used from Giants, Trap Masters. Predicted by Activision, this would prove the Trap Masters to be the "#1 hit in the entire universe", and/or self-proclaiming them as the ultimate Skylanders, and even the upcoming game itself. The gates of SWAP Force allows us to open by either singleplayer or multiplayer, depending whether you have a SWAP Force member or not. However, the gates of Trap Team only opens using Trap Masters - why should we buy them to access them? Activision's funds on Skylanders seemed to be staggering, therefore only Traptanium gates, instead of SWAP Force gates, will be used for that upcoming game to encourage us to buy the Trap Masters at a higher price.

Or maybe it was just a bad, bad mistake that won't be repeated in the future.

Only time will tell.

Quote: esrever

If that's truly the route they want to take then I will still be happy because I'm not that convinced about these vehicles.

So I would only buy the true brand new Skylanders and entirely skip on the vehicles I can't activate.
I hope a lot of other people will do the same; maybe that will work as a strong feedback.

That would be the worst choice in the entire series, so far.
If anything they should ditch the Gimmicklanders entirely and focus on Cores and true gameplay innovation.

But luckily I doubt that would happen.
They keep talking about paying respect to the customers and I simply don't see them announcing that "you'll have to buy reposes this time, to unlock specific vehicles" at the reveal and with a kind smile on their faces.

Quote: Snap Shot
Hard to judge yet but I think they're running out of ideas

Which is why they should stop with the Gimmicklanders at least for a year or two.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#23 Posted: 12:54:39 02/06/2015
Quote: Drek95

Swappers also let you combine some of the abilities and encourage experiments with the various combinations.
And the majority of trappable villains offer strategic abilities which can help the Skylanders when switching to them.

Absolutely not true "innovations" in my opinion but still not as simple as they may seem.

Unless I'm missing something though, the only combination in SF that was really experimenting - was shooting projectiles through 'Blast' fire breathe for more dmg. Outside of that it was more just covering weaknesses, making strong but slow characters faster, giving defense to low health characters, giving range to melee, etc - customization. and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to complain, really am not, just not really convinced of their being real 'experimentation'. This is also the basis of villains, they are swapped characters with 2-3 extra attacks - allowing you to essentially customize your experience further. Again, that isn't a complaint, just hard to call innovation. In Tekken, Kazuya can mid match change into Devil Kazuya, its not really 'innovation' though, just another option. When Tekken changed the juggling system, that was innovation. When they added 'tag', that was innovation, it wasn't just another character as an option, it really impacted the gameplay, now they've added armor and supers, it changes the whole meta-game and approach.

What they need is 'real' innovation, core gameplay should stay unchanged. I'd actually be fine with them removing jumping (only because my son sucks at it honestly hahaha), but they need something to modify the actual way you play the game more than modify who you play the game with.
- Unreall
#24 Posted: 18:52:29 02/06/2015
Quote: Unreallystic

Unless I'm missing something though, the only combination in SF that was really experimenting - was shooting projectiles through 'Blast' fire breathe for more dmg. Outside of that it was more just covering weaknesses, making strong but slow characters faster, giving defense to low health characters, giving range to melee, etc - customization. and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to complain, really am not, just not really convinced of their being real 'experimentation'. This is also the basis of villains, they are swapped characters with 2-3 extra attacks - allowing you to essentially customize your experience further. Again, that isn't a complaint, just hard to call innovation. In Tekken, Kazuya can mid match change into Devil Kazuya, its not really 'innovation' though, just another option. When Tekken changed the juggling system, that was innovation. When they added 'tag', that was innovation, it wasn't just another character as an option, it really impacted the gameplay, now they've added armor and supers, it changes the whole meta-game and approach.

What they need is 'real' innovation, core gameplay should stay unchanged. I'd actually be fine with them removing jumping (only because my son sucks at it honestly hahaha), but they need something to modify the actual way you play the game more than modify who you play the game with.
- Unreall

I agree.

Yes, not many combined attacks with the Swappers... I guess they were experimentations of experimentations... smilie

But absolutely, we need more innovation within the game and less regarding the figures.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#25 Posted: 00:01:26 03/06/2015
I didn't care for the Giants gimmick. I tend not to like slower characters. In 2 player mode, the giant would often block the core character from view...rather frustrating.

The SF gimmick didn't impress me much. I had no desire to swap tops and bottoms. I liked some of the new mini games and changes VV made, but the gimmick didn't do it for me.

The TT gimmick was annoying. It made the cores fairly useless since they didn't stand much of changes against some of the bosses. I liked some of the charaters, but it had nothing to do with gimmick. And the traps...neat to have so many 'boss battles' but I ended up using the trap villain rarely as a safety net only.

The vehicles actually could be the first gimmick that really draws me in this time.
#26 Posted: 01:39:38 03/06/2015
But absolutely, we need more innovation within the game and less regarding the figures.

Might be too early to say, but it appears to me that they may have struck that balance based on initial observations. Patiently awaiting..
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#27 Posted: 01:55:18 03/06/2015
Quote: melvimbe
I didn't care for the Giants gimmick. I tend not to like slower characters. In 2 player mode, the giant would often block the core character from view...rather frustrating.

The SF gimmick didn't impress me much. I had no desire to swap tops and bottoms. I liked some of the new mini games and changes VV made, but the gimmick didn't do it for me.

The TT gimmick was annoying. It made the cores fairly useless since they didn't stand much of changes against some of the bosses. I liked some of the charaters, but it had nothing to do with gimmick. And the traps...neat to have so many 'boss battles' but I ended up using the trap villain rarely as a safety net only.

The vehicles actually could be the first gimmick that really draws me in this time.

Exactly how I feel. Giants had a few things to do, but it wasn't enough to make the Giants special. About 3 levels to access by pulling and the ability to lift stones. Oh, and punching bomb walls, that was actually a good feature.

Swap Force was only to unlock gates to play mini-games. They had no real use or purpose, but in the 3DS game, they did have special in game powers which made them unique. I wished that those were in the real game.

Trap Team was just Giants 2 with crystal weapons. It didn't feel unique at all. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't special either. The trapped villians really made it stand out and I ended up using them more-so than the Skylanders (other than my two favs Head Rush and Gear Shift that is).

Vehicles though...I'm REALLY not feeling it. I'm trying hard to not judge a book by the cover though and waiting for some real info about it. I'm starting to think we probably already know everything that Activision wants us to know but we'll see!
---
Stay Cool!
#28 Posted: 20:05:10 09/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Well now that we know there will be no cores...foohy.
TOlofter Yellow Sparx Gems: 1021
#29 Posted: 21:04:24 09/06/2015
I'd be perfectly happy with a new game that was strictly just cores. Not everything has to have a physical gimmick. It can be an in-game only addition.

Or like with Trap Team, they could have done the Traps ONLY and not bothered with Trap Masters. An excuse to have a more expensive/bigger figure.
#30 Posted: 22:37:42 09/06/2015
Yeah, now that we know there aren't Cores in SuperChargers I'm a bit disappointed...

HOWEVER, I tend to consider SuperChargers more similar to Cores rather than Gimmicklanders.
They aren't that big, don't have any special feature (except for the bases) and work as a way to "complete" the true gimmick: vehicles.

If that's what they want to do in the future (a set of regular Cores and then on of "special" ones, maybe at 12.99$/€ but able to do special things) I'm all for it.
Only time will tell...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#31 Posted: 01:13:14 10/06/2015
I know that the Core Skylanders will be recreated as SuperChargers, but we should at least stay positive about this.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#32 Posted: 01:21:57 10/06/2015
I just want Cores, too. At the least I think there should be some equivalent to Gates that Cores can enter, on their own, without having to add or switch out a figure to open them. I liked being able to go in some of those Gates if I happened to be passing one. Made old levels a bit fresh.

Does Superchargers have regular Elemental Gates? I haven't been following it closely. I've heard of some Vehicle Gates or something, but I haven't looked into them and I haven't heard anything about regular ones.

Also, Cores deconfimed? Really? It's bad enough that half of the Superchargers don't actually have new backstories or personalities. I know that sounded pretty negative, and that's because I am really disappointed with how this game's looking (and I'm on darkSpyro, I only post here when I want to complain).

The ground sections look amazing, but the vehicles look like they disrupt the flow of things far too much and the vehicle segments seem to have very plain design. I hate how they're pushing them, given the overblown magic moments they have- if the vehicle sections were just in-game stuff with no figures related to them, like the vehicle segments in older games were, I doubt many people would care about them. To me, they don't look much better than the old vehicles. I really hope they're less prominent than I expect, but I'm not getting any hopes up after how disappointing TT was (even if they're made by different teams, VV could have the same or different problems that hinder the game, and I'd just rather be ridiculously cautious).
#33 Posted: 01:30:17 10/06/2015
The idea behind saying they're "no cores" sounds like they're making a case for leaving them behind, and this game is the first step. Just a gut feeling.
Plordigian Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#34 Posted: 01:48:49 10/06/2015
Quote: TakeYourLemons
The idea behind saying they're "no cores" sounds like they're making a case for leaving them behind, and this game is the first step. Just a gut feeling.

The first step might have been removing much of their relevance by taking away their ability to open elemental gates. Whether they foresaw that leading to decreased sales of cores or not...
---
1Jn47
#35 Posted: 01:51:35 10/06/2015
It's a precarious approach especially if there's plenty of SSA - TT figures yet to sell. I'm sure if their backstock was gone they'd probably already pull the trigger on it.
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#36 Posted: 04:09:30 10/06/2015
its not a problem to me that they included vehicles, its the fact they made it a necessity to even clear a level you have to use a vehicle to progress through the game even if its a land vehicle so they actually gated the levels to have to follow this formula that you can't even walk through the game with just your skylander.

that's worse than using elemental gates for progression. if you ever run out of a working vehicle (mainly a land type) you're simply out of luck that the entire game is unplayable. that to me makes the game a bad investment. in any other entry the gimmick doesn't push out the story and other modes of gameplay and works in unison to everything else. when you make it center stage like that and rip the essence of what makes the series as a whole great, it's just wrong to support it. if i ever buy the game it's not going to be day one and it's only going to be at the 50% or less price tag.

so yes to me i would have rather seen the ratio they did but kept it more to the cores and had a return to an ssa style game after 3 installments of gimmicks. i want to see story progression since there's already been an investment in the figures, i'd rather just have new content in the form of an area to play in and story. the whole push to contain an entry for everything with all the purchases and then throw it all out just for the next shiny is not the way to go. that's where people are getting tired of it. giants, swappers, traps are basically nerfed by superchargers and everyone will know the vehicles will be the same way by the 6th installment if they make that will be.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
#37 Posted: 07:38:54 10/06/2015
Quote: tigerdr
its not a problem to me that they included vehicles, its the fact they made it a necessity to even clear a level you have to use a vehicle to progress through the game even if its a land vehicle so they actually gated the levels to have to follow this formula that you can't even walk through the game with just your skylander.

that's worse than using elemental gates for progression. if you ever run out of a working vehicle (mainly a land type) you're simply out of luck that the entire game is unplayable. that to me makes the game a bad investment. in any other entry the gimmick doesn't push out the story and other modes of gameplay and works in unison to everything else. when you make it center stage like that and rip the essence of what makes the series as a whole great, it's just wrong to support it. if i ever buy the game it's not going to be day one and it's only going to be at the 50% or less price tag.

so yes to me i would have rather seen the ratio they did but kept it more to the cores and had a return to an ssa style game after 3 installments of gimmicks. i want to see story progression since there's already been an investment in the figures, i'd rather just have new content in the form of an area to play in and story. the whole push to contain an entry for everything with all the purchases and then throw it all out just for the next shiny is not the way to go. that's where people are getting tired of it. giants, swappers, traps are basically nerfed by superchargers and everyone will know the vehicles will be the same way by the 6th installment if they make that will be.

Completely agree.

Gimmicks are welcomed as a SIDE feature.
They must be relevant lore and Story-wise but cannot be the focus of the majority of the game.

Even in Trap Team where you would have to trap villains at the end you could simply send them to the Vault if you didn't had the right trap.
Here?
You at least need a land vehicle to complete the main Story.
I don't care if it's included in the Starter Pack it the idea that annoys me.

(however, don't worry tigerdr vehicles can't "dies" only Skylanders can so you would just have to change the driver smilie )

And yes, vehicles bug me not only because at least one of them seems to be mandatory but also because they took the place of other potential Skylanders.
They focused more of vehicles than on characters... In a game called "Skylanders.
I sincerely hope they didn't heard our critics last year, since they were already far into SuperChargers development and I hope TfB will listed no them with the sixth game.

To be positive I have the feeling they are actually removing characters-related gimmicks in favor to items ones.
While I don't like it that much, it hopefully means we will see more Cores in the future.
Even better they could make ALL the Cores Gimmicklanders but only inside the game.
Regular small figures (I wouldn't mind playing 13€ for them) but with special abilities INSIDE the game which they would carry on in future games.

Again I'm not hating: love the game, looks awesome and super fun, I'm sure it will entertain me for a lot of time... But this isn't what I would like this franchise to be.
And vehicles are not the true problem.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me