darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Parents, are you More Excited about SuperChargers than your Children?
Page 1 of 1
Parents, are you More Excited about SuperChargers than your Children?
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#1 Posted: 11:31:56 30/05/2015 | Topic Creator
I was wondering about the older collectors out there and if they are more excited about this than your kids? Even if you don't have any kids and you not anymore a child or a teen, you are probably way more interested in them than an average child, right?

Since Skylanders is 5 years old it's more than likely that this is going to be your 3rd or 4th experience with a new Skylanders game. By now your kids are probably so bored with Skylanders and couldn't care less about a new game and characters. They may have moved onto other things or other gaming experiences. Being adults you are probably able to maintain an interest and are more excited about the game than your children.

I'm rather excited about the reveal and I know I'm way into the series more than an adult probably should be, but then having no children means I can devote more into a hobby. I'm just hoping this year's theme of SuperChargers won't leave me discouraged as I'm not into racing at all and a racing themed game would be a total mood killer.

We'll soon see what's the new game is all about and if I'll stay devoted but for now the hype is really real and I'm pretty excited to learn more about this years offerings. I'm thinking though that I'll probably end up getting the game and my usual female cast of figures and not being so hardcore over the game like in prior years. Having over 150 characters already is really a bit too much and it feels like I'm just piling on and being forced to buy extras that I don't really care for (trap crystals). A set of racing themed extras though will certainly be a game changer for me, as in my moving to Lego Dimensions. Seeing all that retro 80s-90s which I grew up with is very appealing to me right now and it's more than likely to take my money away than an apparent racing theme Skylanders.
---
Stay Cool!
samuraituretsky Yellow Sparx Gems: 1430
#2 Posted: 18:09:28 30/05/2015
I am more into the game than my daughter, but she likes it a lot. She just changes week to week what game she's into. We rotate through Skylanders, Minecraft, Disney Infinity, Lego Marvel , and every now and then we throw in something random and different. Those 4 are the staples though. We take breaks from each, but Skylanders always gets rotated back in at some point.

She is way more into the figures themselves than I am though. She plays with them a lot and makes them talk to each other, playing out little scenes just like she does with other toys.

I myself am very much into racing, cars, aircraft, etc., but I'm really disappointed in the vehicle thing. My initial feeling is that I don't want that mixed into Skylanders. I'll wait and find out more about the exact premise before I judge whether or not I think I'll like it. I really didn't like the Swap Force gimmick, but I did enjoy the game in the end. I just never really swapped halves. Trap Team was the best gimmick so far in my opinion. If Superchargers had been super-charging other characters with buffs and extra abilities, that would have been something I could get behind. Vehicles sound silly to me, out of place, uninspired, and not very creative. Hopefully there are other things in the game I can get excited about, or maybe the vehicles will surprise me.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:16:20 30/05/2015 by samuraituretsky
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#3 Posted: 03:27:22 31/05/2015
Ya, I'm more sucked into this franchise than my son is at this point.
Gold_guardian Gold Sparx Gems: 2370
#4 Posted: 03:57:37 31/05/2015
I don't have any kids, but my little cousin was really into skylanders last year and has already moved on to other things which sucks for me since it was something cool to bond over since he was so impressed by my collection since I can afford way more then he could.

That said I'm not impressed by this year's new gimmick. Platforms tacking on vehicles like this is usually the last refuge of a dying franchise and I pretty much despise playing racing games by myself. Even when playing with a friend I can only enjoy them for short burst, too bad it's like pulling teeth to get my friends together to actually play games at my age when they'd rather sit around at a Coffey shop and talk instead smilie

Last year with the price hike in Canada and the additions of mini's, traps and new elements was bad enough. Now it's yet another class of figure you have to collect causing the price of collecting an entire set to soar to astronomic levels. Assuming that each vehicle will cost as much as a large sized figure at minimum that's nearly $20 a pop after tax in Ontario. So if you disclude the one that comes with the game that's at least 9 of them so that's another $180 added onto the pile.

But who am I kidding this is Activision we're talking about, Other then Giants at the new elements since when have they only done 1 of everything? I'd be very surprised if they didn't do at least two vehicles per element so that each supercharger figure has their own personal ride

Not to mention how big are these things going to be able to fit a large sized figure riding it in. That's a nightmare for storage when I'm already running out of space for these things. Top it off with Target having left Canada and Walmart shriking their electronic section we are already at a time when Skylanders aren't getting much retail space around here. So with more figures that take up more shelf space and more competition from stuff like Lego Dimensions and Amiibo it'll be that much harder to track down a full set.
---
~Canadian~
sklndrmommy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1508
#5 Posted: 04:41:06 31/05/2015
I'm pretty much over Skylanders. They lost me this year with all the traps. Too much to keep up with. I haven't hardly played Trap Team with work and everything keeping me busy. My 6yo still likes TT and I think he will be excited about 5, but today I overheard his friend asking why he liked TT so much and my son said it was my game, so he might be outgrowing it.
---
Trying to keep an updated code trading list in my guestbook for Lost Islands.
Mommy to player JacksonTreeRex.
MarvelSeer Blue Sparx Gems: 675
#6 Posted: 05:02:33 31/05/2015
Quote: sklndrmommy
I'm pretty much over Skylanders. They lost me this year with all the traps. Too much to keep up with. I haven't hardly played Trap Team with work and everything keeping me busy. My 6yo still likes TT and I think he will be excited about 5, but today I overheard his friend asking why he liked TT so much and my son said it was my game, so he might be outgrowing it.

I have to agree, the traps kinda killed it for me. The Kids no longer want to play and I do spend some of my nights playing because I have nothing else to do. I will say however that I love Racing Games and if SuperChargers is done right I will get involved.

That being said... I will most likely start selling off my figures in the coming months just so I am forced to buy all the new ones and have my collection pay for the next game, I will most likely keep all my Variants just because it would be a pain in the butt to re-buy them all at a god foreseen amount. I'm kinda glad Activision took the turn to add this type of gameplay.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie - Missing Legendary Bushwack emoji
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#7 Posted: 08:10:50 31/05/2015
I'm no one to judge but it seems like this is starting to become more of a chore rather than a game for a lot of users.

"I have to buy all those new characters", "I will force myself to buy at least X", "with all these characters it's getting really frustrating..."...

It's a game.
It should NEVER become a pain.
If it does (and it isn't from the Souls series since that would be normal) then you probably either have to change approach or stop playing it completely.

This series has never forced anyone to buy anything (yes I believe 100% isn't mandatory in any game; I like reaching it but I never feel forced) and yet I keep hearing "I have to buy X, I need to get Y".

Just buy what makes you happy in terms of characters and figures and never force yourself to do anything you wouldn't want to, videogames-wise.
Just a friendly advice. smilie

Games should be distractions, hobbies, something we love and truly enjoy.
If they simply have to become another for of work or duty then I probably don't even know if they should be called "games" anymore...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:01:26 31/05/2015 by Drek95
#8 Posted: 12:48:41 31/05/2015
^Nailed it, and when I feel it burdensome then it's time to rethink. I'm neither excited nor too concerned about the game...just waiting for details and gameplay to determine my fate in it.

Quote: sklndrmommy

Don't underestimate the power of peer pressure either. The kid could've been making him uncomfortable that he liked the game.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:50:07 31/05/2015 by TakeYourLemons
Skylandscaper Emerald Sparx Gems: 3966
#9 Posted: 14:46:18 31/05/2015
Trap Team is the first game where I didn't buy everything (no more legendaries, skipped a couple minis that we already had with a different-colored base, and not every trap). I feel like I am now on the road to recovery, but I am way more excited about new figures than my kids at this point. I'm not sure how it will all end now that I have been infected with this collecting bug.
---
WANTED: regular Chompie Mage. Can be loose. We will open and play with it like all of our Skylanders.
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#10 Posted: 17:05:33 31/05/2015
My kids are now 11 and 8, and as such have lost a ton of interest. I've lost interest as well, but still enjoy the collecting aspect very much. We all like to play the game when it comes out, and enjoy the (ever decreasing) thrill of getting a new figure. When a new figure comes out, no body even really wants to play as that figure any more, we just collect. We also do a ton of figure painting, but that's waned as well.

So assuming I'm in for S5, I have to decide that the game is 100% for me, not for the kids anymore. There will be no more skylanders Christmas's, since they really will want something else. I am not sure if I'lll continue to get everything (I have missed a handful this time around) or if I'll just pick and chose.

We also collect DI, and will probably do a bit of lego, so I'm factoring that into the budget as well.
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#11 Posted: 01:36:30 01/06/2015
For me it's a matter of how much figures cost. I like to 100% but if Vehicles are too much then this will be the first year I get less figures that before. I may also be the first year that I don't get the game on launch day.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#12 Posted: 02:30:00 01/06/2015
Quote: melvimbe
My kids are now 11 and 8, and as such have lost a ton of interest. I've lost interest as well, but still enjoy the collecting aspect very much. We all like to play the game when it comes out, and enjoy the (ever decreasing) thrill of getting a new figure. When a new figure comes out, no body even really wants to play as that figure any more, we just collect. We also do a ton of figure painting, but that's waned as well.

So assuming I'm in for S5, I have to decide that the game is 100% for me, not for the kids anymore. There will be no more skylanders Christmas's, since they really will want something else. I am not sure if I'lll continue to get everything (I have missed a handful this time around) or if I'll just pick and chose.

We also collect DI, and will probably do a bit of lego, so I'm factoring that into the budget as well.

In the same boat. I hope they're able to get new recruits in the franchise...as of now TT is 15% behind sales wise.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me