Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Traps in Skylanders Super Chargers. [CLOSED]
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#1 Posted: 15:13:47 27/05/2015 | Topic Creator
So, only a few more days until Sky 5 is revealed. One of the biggest questions about it is will Traps (And villains) be usable in Sky 5.

What do you think? Will they or will they not be usable?

If not, what do you think they're be used for?

I, personally, hope so and think it's likely.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:22:25 27/05/2015 by HeyitsHotDog
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#2 Posted: 15:18:15 27/05/2015
I'd say yes. They have always talked about honering collectors. And not doing this wouldn't be honering collectors.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#3 Posted: 15:20:07 27/05/2015
I'd put money on them working, in some fashion, with the new game.
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#4 Posted: 15:23:18 27/05/2015
Quote: ninja9351
I'd say yes. They have always talked about honering collectors. And not doing this wouldn't be honering collectors.

This.
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
abstractsardine Gold Sparx Gems: 2244
#5 Posted: 15:33:29 27/05/2015
Yeah they should, but I'd like to see 2 trap slots
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#6 Posted: 15:34:06 27/05/2015
Quote: abstractsardine
Yeah they should, but I'd like to see 2 trap slots

YES!!That would be awesome
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#7 Posted: 15:40:04 27/05/2015
I'm confident they will.

Not only from a respect point of view but also because they could keep selling more traps (maybe even new mods) and who knows, they might also add a bunch of new villains.

It could become a strong side-gimmick that could expand with each future release.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Portal King Yellow Sparx Gems: 1324
#8 Posted: 15:53:00 27/05/2015
I think they will because why make a whole new game about traps and then in the next game not have them. Seems like a no brainer. If they don't include them I'm sorry to say but I'm out. Can't start collecting traps then say they are done. We will see
---
You need superchargers gear in Toronto? I'm your guy.
Add me on the wii u (Mario200) see ya on the track!
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#9 Posted: 16:20:13 27/05/2015
we know one thing for sure vv and tfb focus on their own thing and not each other thing. so dont expect any traps when there was nothing for swap force in trap team..
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#10 Posted: 16:25:29 27/05/2015
No,you dont know for sure. VV did just one non-spinoff game, we can't guess everything.

And there were things for the Swap Force,they worked. We're discussing if they'll be supported.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:25:43 27/05/2015 by Bifrost
#11 Posted: 16:28:21 27/05/2015
Quote: Bifrost
No,you dont know for sure. VV did just one non-spinoff game, we can't guess everything.

And there were things for the Swap Force,they worked. We're discussing if they'll be supported.

This.

Absolutely not expecting Villain Stashes or Quests (unless there are new ones) but I'm confident all our traps and already trapped villains will be supported and work just as they did in Trap Team.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Kevinvert Gold Sparx Gems: 2146
#12 Posted: 16:32:18 27/05/2015
few more days?
---
Team Hot Dog!
LoveProfusion15 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1701
#13 Posted: 16:37:00 27/05/2015
I think they will work. If VV makes a new portal I can see just setting the trap on the portal to read it. Or maybe VV would accommodate the previous game and make a new slot in the portal. I'm hoping they keep the same portal. Also, I can see them having about 8 new villians to trap using existing traps, but I dont see them selling new traps in stores.
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#14 Posted: 16:41:37 27/05/2015
I wouldn't mind it if they did this;
20 Vehicals and Gimmick Characters
20 Cores
10 Lightcores
No S2, S3, S4, or S5 characters.
20 New Traps and Villains
10 Minis
8 Eons Elite Giants
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#15 Posted: 19:01:42 27/05/2015
Don't think activision focuse only on the new stuff. Trap need a very speciefic portal that have a hole and a micro to work. I will very surprised if they create the new portal that have this stuff.
---
THE END IS NEAR
#16 Posted: 19:12:35 27/05/2015
Actually, if they make a new portal,the only issue will be having the villains speak; the chip can probably still be picked up if you place it on the portal, it's just going to be far from the Vault. But since they talk ingame once they're tagged in it's not that big of a loss.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:12:58 27/05/2015 by Bifrost
stinkbomb29 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1697
#17 Posted: 19:13:06 27/05/2015
I would agree with the comments about honoring collectors and players alike. They have done this with the characters.

However, the gimmick has always seemed to stay within the game it was created for.

Swap force swappable characters didn't have anywhere to swap or zones to utilize their unique abilities.

I'm going to guess that the traps are out now the picture....
#18 Posted: 19:19:22 27/05/2015
Quote: stinkbomb29
I would agree with the comments about honoring collectors and players alike. They have done this with the characters.

However, the gimmick has always seemed to stay within the game it was created for.

Swap force swappable characters didn't have anywhere to swap or zones to utilize their unique abilities.

We're discussing if they'll be supported.

------
---
#19 Posted: 19:19:49 27/05/2015

But why wouldn't trappable villains be playable, then?

Giants work. Swappers work. Trap Masters will (most likely) work.
So why would trap be unusable?
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#20 Posted: 19:30:52 27/05/2015
I really don't see traps carrying over, honestly
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#21 Posted: 19:34:05 27/05/2015
Quote: Drek95

Even when the developers decide to remove features, they've found alternative ways for us to use the same items. Look at the pieces for Volcanic Vault/Dragon's Peak/Empire of Ice/Darklight Crypt/Pirate Seas. They no longer open battle arenas/story levels, but they each serve as artillery pieces now to support our advancing Skylander armies. Even if Villains aren't playable, I'd imagine that VV will still have the Traps interact with the new game. For all we know, TFB may have even charted up suggestions for Trap support in Sky5 to VV.
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
#22 Posted: 19:50:42 27/05/2015
Quote: ShinkenRed
Quote: Drek95

Even when the developers decide to remove features, they've found alternative ways for us to use the same items. Look at the pieces for Volcanic Vault/Dragon's Peak/Empire of Ice/Darklight Crypt/Pirate Seas. They no longer open battle arenas/story levels, but they each serve as artillery pieces now to support our advancing Skylander armies. Even if Villains aren't playable, I'd imagine that VV will still have the Traps interact with the new game. For all we know, TFB may have even charted up suggestions for Trap support in Sky5 to VV.

This is also a quite plausible option but I don't see traps following that route, since they are technically playable characters, not magic items.

Dropping them completely wouldn't make sense and would be incredibly disrespectful but giving them new functions may actually work.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#23 Posted: 19:51:08 27/05/2015
Having them work like in TT 3DS wouldn't be TOO bad,except for that guy who's your favorite that you wouldn't want to see downgraded. In there, they drop in for 10 seconds and release an array of attacks(AI controlled),then can't be used again for 30 seconds. More than enough animations for many followed attacks,and for support guys they could just create a magic circle or slowing mist instead of an attack.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:53:37 27/05/2015 by Bifrost
#24 Posted: 19:58:19 27/05/2015
Having them work like in TT 3DS wouldn't be TOO bad,except for that guy who's your favorite that you wouldn't want to see downgraded. In there, they drop in for 10 seconds and release an array of attacks(AI controlled),then can't be used again for 30 seconds. More than enough animations for many followed attacks,and for support guys they could just create a magic circle or slowing mist instead of an attack.

That would definitely be a nice "downgrade".

Maybe they could keep the Doom Raiders (and Pain-Yatta) as playable characters since they are the closest villains there are to Skylanders, in terms of abilities variety and "depth".
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
PMTgaming150 Gold Sparx Gems: 2238
#25 Posted: 20:24:22 27/05/2015
They should work or it would be a big loss of money for both collectors and
Activision because I know people who would not buy it if traps were dropped

also I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't play Wolfgang or Pain-yatta
---
MS paint DIO stares into your soul
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#26 Posted: 23:35:43 27/05/2015
I think they should work I would love for more villans to capture but I think they could just leave them like they are.
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#27 Posted: 01:49:34 28/05/2015
Quote: AzureStarline

Villains are instant wins, and was a WEAK design element in Trap Team. I have no interest in using them in the new game. By the way, future compatibility is for FIGURES. These are not figures. Just sayin'.
alegeobla Gold Sparx Gems: 2501
#28 Posted: 01:55:34 28/05/2015
I'm hoping they dont work honestly...

If they do work, they would most likely create more traps and more villians when, lets be real here, everyone would just use kaos and destroy the game from the start. I see them following suit like with previous gimicks. Giants can still pick up large boulders (yes, it was only in the Kaos Doom challenge, but they still could). Swappers can still swap. And I see them maybe putting some traptanium in sky 5, much like the giant chests in swap force.

I see the traps and villians more like the adventure pieces as opposed to the gimick. The gimick was trap masters, and those will still be usable
---
100% Character Upgrades: SA 43/43 SG 69/69 SSF 76/76 STT 25/69 SSC 32/34 SI 5/31 SEE 10/14
Currently Working on: Sure Shot smilie
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#29 Posted: 03:01:24 28/05/2015
Quote: TakeYourLemons

Villains are instant wins, and was a WEAK design element in Trap Team. I have no interest in using them in the new game. By the way, future compatibility is for FIGURES. These are not figures. Just sayin'.

Oh come on, let's hear it for the Broccoli Guy!

He is pretty much a permanent resident in my Life Trap. The voice cracks me up.

I think they will work, but be massively downgraded. Like maybe one villain of each element, or maybe just one villain that works in all elements. Just some lip service to say it works. Kind of like things that take giants to open. Or even worse, all your trapped villains become smart bombs instead of being playable.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:04:09 28/05/2015 by defpally
#30 Posted: 07:01:59 28/05/2015
If someone wants to play as Kaos since the beginning and completely ruin the fun of playing a new game, he can absolutely do it.
Just like one can play the entire game by spamming a single villain, and not play with his Skylander while the timer recharges.
He can even skip entirely on the new figures if he wants to.

I will personally NEVER do it.

Aside from that freedom of choice, they could always come up with some way to unlock them only after the game is finished.

They could for example make the Villain Vault appear only when you return from the final boss fight, and maybe have a bunch of new villains causing ruckus, so not only you would need to replay the levels to find collectables and complete quests of some kind (hoping for an open world game but not seeing it happening) but also to find new bad guys to trap there weren't there the first time.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#31 Posted: 07:07:03 28/05/2015
Seeing as their doing something vehicle related like racing or tank battles etc... They could easily just make the traps/villains provide vehicle upgrades or something to keep them relevant. Most would make a cool hood ornament.

Maybe they could make it so different villain/traps provided different stat boosts . So that you could have different universal stat boosts that could be applied to any charscter. Advance the customisable options etc.

They've got so many options to apply to the use of villain energy or crystal power, anything different they could do would be cool.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#32 Posted: 07:40:41 28/05/2015
Quote: defpally

I think they will work, but be massively downgraded. Like maybe one villain of each element, or maybe just one villain that works in all elements. Just some lip service to say it works. Kind of like things that take giants to open. Or even worse, all your trapped villains become smart bombs instead of being playable.

I agree, I think the traps will still be usable, but their importance will be heavily decreased. I, personally, did like this villains thing, but not as much as to be super concern about it.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
#33 Posted: 12:10:28 28/05/2015
Guys,if you can play as Lv 20 Drobot from the start of the game, no one can complain that you can destroy the game as Kaos. If they allow one they have to allow all.

Also villains being a weak or strong aspect is subjective. Your sole opinion doesn't say if they get to stay or not,the community as a whole's opinion does.
---
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#34 Posted: 12:25:43 28/05/2015
If they are worried about them being op they could just nerf them likr the giants were in sf.
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
Swap Force Fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 4095
#35 Posted: 12:53:36 28/05/2015

Broccoli Guy was my least favorite villain, lol.

I think they should have this extra product for Superchargers that is about $20 that has a slot for traps, that allows you to use villians in the game. That way new Portal Masters won't feel forced to buy old traps.
ViDeOmAnCiNi Platinum Sparx Gems: 7055
#36 Posted: 13:07:23 28/05/2015
They probably have so many traps left over that they are going to have to use them. Maybe they'll be boosts for the vehicles? You stick them into a trap hole and you gain speed boost(s)?

Just graspin'

-vm
---
♫ "Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I live for my dream and a pocketful of gold" ♫

FiUSAwS:G! http://bit.ly/R3L1lb
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#37 Posted: 13:26:20 28/05/2015
Not to sound negative, but I highly doubt the Traps and Captured Villains be playable in Skylanders Superchargers. But if they really do, I'll be ready.
#38 Posted: 13:28:01 28/05/2015
That'd ask for some weird magic handwaving to be done, but it's not a bad idea(for both extra trap peripheral and vehicle trap boosting).

I like Broccoli Guy, but it'd have been better if his inspiration was made more obvious. He's supposed to be the stock yuck villains from kid cartoons, because omg no kid likes broccoli. However, his voice is.... Something else, if you can say Alex Ness had anything existing in mind to begin with other than comedian tendencies, so it's hard to tell what exactly the reference is.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:28:42 28/05/2015 by Bifrost
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#39 Posted: 13:35:33 28/05/2015 | Topic Creator
That'd ask for some weird magic handwaving to be done, but it's not a bad idea(for both extra trap peripheral and vehicle trap boosting).

I like Broccoli Guy, but it'd have been better if his inspiration was made more obvious. He's supposed to be the stock yuck villains from kid cartoons, because omg no kid likes broccoli. However, his voice is.... Something else, if you can say Alex Ness had anything existing in mind to begin with other than comedian tendencies, so it's hard to tell what exactly the reference is.

I'm pretty sure his voice is based on Andy Dick's.

---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:03:31 28/05/2015 by HeyitsHotDog
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#40 Posted: 13:52:19 28/05/2015
If they didn't make traps forwards compatible with this game, that would be a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really stupid business decision.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
#41 Posted: 14:46:11 28/05/2015
Broccoli Guy is a great villain to keep around, if you ever get low on health pop him out and drop a healing circle and heal to full between and sometimes even during a fight since you can switch to him, drop a circle and switch back for the benefits (and the other player can use it as well). I actually have a second Life trap since I got the tablet version (I don't collect traps, just one per element) and it came with a Life Trap as well - and I keep him in my extra one for just such an occasion. Use him as a healing "item", don't bother trying to fight with him - he is useless for that.
#42 Posted: 14:50:05 28/05/2015
Quote: AdamGregory03
If they didn't make traps forwards compatible with this game, that would be a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really stupid business decision.

It seems like it, but they did that with Adventure sets as well. Things we bought that were basically useless in future games. Maybe that's why they are holding out on the announcement, they have a new portal and it doesn't have a trap slot. Gotta keep those trap sales going as long as possible.

I still think it will use them though, in a vastly reduced manner. Like to open a chest, as a smart bomb or at most a one per element trappable villain and no ability to use villains previously trapped in TT in the game.
#43 Posted: 14:59:23 28/05/2015
They're mostly useless but they're not outright unsupported. They're just a cheap area of effect. They DID NOT remove support entirely for any gimmick, for the third time I have to insist on it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:59:43 28/05/2015 by Bifrost
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#44 Posted: 15:00:41 28/05/2015
Quote: AdamGregory03

It seems like it, but they did that with Adventure sets as well. Things we bought that were basically useless in future games. Maybe that's why they are holding out on the announcement, they have a new portal and it doesn't have a trap slot. Gotta keep those trap sales going as long as possible.

I still think it will use them though, in a vastly reduced manner. Like to open a chest, as a smart bomb or at most a one per element trappable villain and no ability to use villains previously trapped in TT in the game.

But the Adventure Packs were for levels that were in one game. With the exception of Spyro's Adventure and Giants, but that was because Giants is pretty identical to the first game. And then if that's the case, why would they want to keep the trap sales going if they weren't going to be compatible with the next game? The villains have just as much thought put into them as the Skylanders, so not making them playable in the next game would be a huge step backwards and would most likely make a lot of people feel cheated.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
SSj3 Derek Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#45 Posted: 15:10:37 28/05/2015
I could see the some villains, like the Doom Raiders specifically, for example, being available to play in the next game, but not maybe not every villain. Given the number of traps sold, not keeping them with a lot of functionality for at least the next game would be monumentally stupid on their part.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:37:09 28/05/2015 by SSj3 Derek
LoveProfusion15 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1701
#46 Posted: 15:40:24 28/05/2015
I would also think they would have to carry the traps to the 5th game. Reason is because if they don't support something from the previous game, why would people buy the 5th games accessories? They wouldn't bother because of the fear of them not being able to work in the 6th game...
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#47 Posted: 15:47:08 28/05/2015

I disagree. They were an interesting twist on the way that we played the game and certainly not something that anybody had really tried before in kid-centric/targeted games. Plus, BROCCOLI GUY. Instant heal, man. If you're not keeping Broccoli Guy in a life trap and in the portal at all times, you're seriously missing out.

Ding! Exactly! Anybody who doesn't want a solid heal for any Skylander immediately available is making a mistake, IMO. His voice started out annoying me, but the more I left him in the trap and listened to his commentary, the more he grew on me until he became my favorite villain to tool around Skylands with.

Broccoli Guy is a great villain to keep around, if you ever get low on health pop him out and drop a healing circle and heal to full between and sometimes even during a fight since you can switch to him, drop a circle and switch back for the benefits (and the other player can use it as well). I actually have a second Life trap since I got the tablet version (I don't collect traps, just one per element) and it came with a Life Trap as well - and I keep him in my extra one for just such an occasion. Use him as a healing "item", don't bother trying to fight with him - he is useless for that.

Exactly!

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#48 Posted: 15:51:13 28/05/2015
I expect for them to make villains "once per level and one per level" and remove the recharge feature.

And if Kaos is playable, they can modify his Magic attack so it doesn't refill his timer.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#49 Posted: 16:37:13 28/05/2015
They're mostly useless but they're not outright unsupported. They're just a cheap area of effect. They DID NOT remove support entirely for any gimmick, for the third time I have to insist on it.

And for the umpteenth time, being a smart bomb or making a box a character can open is not "support". Not to mention the Swap Force gimmick is completely unused (the movement type and split element doors) and the Volcanic Vault (which required a purchase to get) isn't even recognized by the game anymore. I know you want to defend Skylanders, but come on.

We are lucky that we can still use figures from the first game (in varying degrees of effectiveness), but they have a pretty spotty track record for future support for gimmicks. Any one that bought lots of traps figuring it was going to be a sound future investment for the franchise is going to be disappointed and honestly didn't pay very much attention to the history of either developer. Heck, with Trap Team they didn't even bother with multi-platform support for this year's gimmick, the 3DS version didn't even use traps at all - that doesn't bode well for them making them a robust feature necessity for Skylanders 5.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#50 Posted: 16:49:57 28/05/2015
The Volcanic Vault is still recognized by the games? It does the "smart bomb" thing... but it does work.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me