Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > On the topic of the Spyro Timeline... Again(Skylanders Issue 9/ROTDK Spoilers)
Page 1 of 1
On the topic of the Spyro Timeline... Again(Skylanders Issue 9/ROTDK Spoilers) [CLOSED]
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#1 Posted: 20:47:37 20/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Since the writers brought it up, it's time for us to actually bring this up for speculation... Again, but this time less fanon and more canon.
As warned in the title, this will have heavy Skylanders Issue 9 and Return of the Dragon King spoilers. The comics are on Comixology, pretty easy to find, so if you want to have the entire thing no need to run to the nearest comic book store as soon as you read this.

But back on topic, the comic implied greatly that the Legend of Spyro and Skylanders series are connected, which hasn't happened before as most things in the former were rewritten(such as Malefor's role as un-living but still handling things behind the scenes until recently, and Mount Boyzitbig/Munitions Forge being now Ka-Boom's homeland) or just Classic lore being very vaguely implied.
For those who don't care about spoilers or have seen it already, here are the exact panels that brought it up in the comic:

(the picture is big and I really don't like stretching the page, plus it's easier to read separate)

Now, this isn't the only time it was implied that Skyro is connected in some way to his previous incarnations. In the very first book, Spyro is shown to have been recruited by Eon in Summer Forest,which is a location in Avalar(and described as "far away from Skylands' furthest frontiers"). His biography also mentions that the Ancients recorded his adventures in the other dimension, but in the Skylanders Annuals' timeline the Ancients are from dozens of millenia ago - which either means Skyro's world isn't connected to Skylands' time or they were recording exploits from another Spyro.

But what exactly is the connection between all of this? That's the discussion I'm proposing now. Feel free to post your wall of text theory or just drop by a suggestion, since without official confirmation, small excerpts are what we have to begin with anyway.

My theory below,spoilered for people who don't want any conflict with their headcanon:

As I said in other threads, in my opinion it could be like the Zelda franchise - an evil purple dragon and a good one just happen to clash by fate, again and again, for unknown reasons.Skylanders Malefor definately wouldn't put his sentence that way just for his defeat in the LOS version, so it isn't the second time.
But then one might ask - who'd be the Malefor for Classic? For that,there's the Sorcerer, from Shadow Legacy which is coincidentally the first time the LOS writers worked on the game, and they do to this day. He's also an incredibly prideful and mean purple dragon, though he's only giant and quadrupedal in his transformation. When defeated, he mentions going back home to survive, and is shown as a strange-looking soul leaving the Dragon World in the ending. It might be a huge stretch and confirmation bias might've gotten in the way, but it's just strange to have happened similarily three times by the same writers(though ROTDK was written by VV's writer, but he probably got tips from them) in entirely different canons.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:48:29 20/05/2015 by Bifrost
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#2 Posted: 21:05:18 20/05/2015
Interesting...
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#3 Posted: 21:22:04 20/05/2015
The Sorceress could also be an incarnation of Malefor if you really wanted to stretch it. The games never say what she is, she's older than all of dragon civilization (as evidenced by her having driven the dragons out of the Forgotten Realms), and she's got some purple to her.

Also, LoS Malefor was probably dead in ANB/TEN and controlling things from beyond the Well of Souls. It even says in TEN that an entire mountain came down on him, implying that's how he died. DotD just dropped the ball pretty hard when it opted to not explain why/how he has a functioning body.

If nothing else, methinks an upcoming Skylanders game is going to have some time travel shenanigans. Or Skyro is NOT related to other versions of Spyro but Malefor has been dragging himself across time and space in a desperate attempt to beat at least one version of the little guy. :D
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:25:19 20/05/2015 by Razz
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8444
#4 Posted: 00:38:47 21/05/2015
I think they're just taking ideas from Classic and LoS, but I doubt it's the same universe. I am curious about how Malley knows about Spyro's past. Hopefully it'll be something original and not LoS.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#5 Posted: 19:03:14 21/05/2015
Quote: Razz
The Sorceress could also be an incarnation of Malefor if you really wanted to stretch it. The games never say what she is, she's older than all of dragon civilization (as evidenced by her having driven the dragons out of the Forgotten Realms), and she's got some purple to her.

Also, LoS Malefor was probably dead in ANB/TEN and controlling things from beyond the Well of Souls. It even says in TEN that an entire mountain came down on him, implying that's how he died. DotD just dropped the ball pretty hard when it opted to not explain why/how he has a functioning body.

If nothing else, methinks an upcoming Skylanders game is going to have some time travel shenanigans. Or Skyro is NOT related to other versions of Spyro but Malefor has been dragging himself across time and space in a desperate attempt to beat at least one version of the little guy. smilie

I was thinking the same thing about the potential time-travel bit. But then, Malefor said this -

"Do you hear me, Spyro? There is no place on any world you can hide from me! This time you will fall!"
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#6 Posted: 19:37:08 21/05/2015 | Topic Creator
It is really possible, but then there's the issue that Malefor had zero personality then and now he has aplenty. Of course, there's always the all-mighty retcon to say he was always over-the-top boastful.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5497
#7 Posted: 04:36:56 04/07/2015
Maybe Malefor traveled to Skylands from the Legend of Spyro dimension while Spyro was recruited from Summer Forest in the classic Spyro dimension, thus explaining why Malefor recognizes Spyro while Spyro doesn't recognize Malefor.

Or maybe LoS Spyro is actually classic Spyro's ancestor in the same dimension. Malefor could've been trapped in the underworld for generations after LoS and all throughout the classic series, then broke out and followed classic Spyro to Skylands.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me