darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > A Barren Walmart Skylanders Display
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
A Barren Walmart Skylanders Display
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#51 Posted: 19:21:25 21/05/2015
Wow.Crazy,page!
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:21:45 21/05/2015 by skylandersspyro
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#52 Posted: 21:25:30 21/05/2015
Quote: obidawsn
That doesn't prove anything to me. It sounds like Nintendo wanted to make sure there was always stock, which looks good on their end. To do that, I'm sure they were doing their best to limit their sales. No where in that did it say that Nintendo told them to hold them. They just wanted them in stock.

There always being stock (literally, always, as I was through there a couple of times a week during the Xmas season and always made a point to ask, having my own doubts about their mountains of Wiis) and everyplace else constantly/always being out of Wiis speaks volumes to me about Nintendo's intentions and sales strategies.

Quote: UncleBob
Wow. That GS story sounds like complete BS to me.

Believe what you want. There were mounds of the things (and continued to be) at that store throughout the busy Christmas season when everybody was going mad trying to get Wiis and being unable to come up with any to save their life.

Quote:
I can say that at the time, I was heavily involved with selling Wii systems at a much larger competitor to GS. We were getting 2-10 times the amount of Wii systems each month than we were PS3s and we would generally sell out of them that very day (If not, then the next).

Well, that's because the Wii was $200 and the PS3 was $400-500. Simple math at that point. Most people either didn't know or didn't care about the power differences between the two systems. All they saw was that they could get a "next gen" system with the golly-gee-neat-o motion controller gimmick for half of what they could buy any other system for.

Quote:
Merely look at the sales numbers that have been made public - Nintendo out-shipped and out-sold the competitors - they were producing crazy amounts of these systems.

Which seems odd for a system that was supposedly "impossible" to find during that period, where the closer it got to Christmas, the more over MSRP people would spend on eBay to lay hands on one, even though the actual supply wasn't bad. If they weren't leaking out stock as slowly as possible to keep the craze going and drive their sales (combined with the fact that their machine was half the cost of everything else), I'll eat a hat.

Quote:
If forced to take public sales figures, combined with my own, personal experience verses what a random GS manager told you... yeah.

Well, no offense intended, but I'm more inclined to take the word of a GameStop manager I've personally known for 15 years, who was always good to his employees and customers and always handed out the giveaways from the company's yearly Vegas convention to employees and random customers over that of a random internet message board poster tells me. smilie Believe what you want. "Pics or it didn't happen" reigns supreme.

Quote:
Random GS employees have *never* been the best source of information (had one tell me that TRU was running their games BOGO50% Off that week because they were getting out of the video game business...)

That's true of random employees from any retail chain. However, if you end up getting to know someone who works at one of those places who actually knows their stuff? And always provides good info? Yeah, I guess we should wash our hands of them and lump them in with everyone else who's actually given out bad information, right?

Quote:
Next thing you know, we're going to hear how Nintendo is short-shipping amiibo and selling them on eBay themselves...

Part one of that sentence? Most likely.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#53 Posted: 21:49:30 21/05/2015
How much sense does it make to say "We want the Wii to be in stock at all times (even though it's out of stock at every major retailer), but only if the customer happens to ask, then you can sell them one."

Why have it "in-stock" but impossible to buy? It's beyond stupid. The basic premise of this story doesn't stand up to any logical reasoning.

Now, pretend that there is some grand scheme by Nintendo to make this be the case.

Pretty sure they could be looking at some legal hot water over this.

So, why did this information happen to leak down to a low-level GS employee? Like, seriously, three steps from the bottom rung? Seems awfully dangerous for Nintendo to allow this information to filter out like this.

Plus, GS's exec even went on record that he thought Nintendo was intentionally creating shortages: http://www.engadget.com/2007/0...ng-to-gamestop/
Why would he publically point fingers at Nintendo if he's secretly in cahoots with Nintendo to hide mountains of Wii systems in his backrooms so that he can't sell them. Or something. something.

Seriously scrutinize the story you were told and it literally makes no logical sense in any reach.

PS: Wii sold at $250, not $200. You might possibly be misremembering other details as well.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:40:14 21/05/2015 by UncleBob
TJRedeemer Blue Sparx Gems: 596
#54 Posted: 22:33:08 21/05/2015
I went to Walmart a couple weeks ago. Even though mine is a supercenter, it looks pretty barren too. Not as barren as the OP's though, I did see Ninjini there, and some of Walmart's exclusive "Buddy Packs".
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#55 Posted: 23:24:02 21/05/2015
Here's the link:
http://slist.amiami.com/top/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#56 Posted: 23:27:26 21/05/2015
It says "Asian Edition", but shows US box art (via the ESRB Rating).
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#57 Posted: 01:06:27 22/05/2015
It says "Asian Edition", but shows US box art (via the ESRB Rating).

I've seen it before. It's English.
---
^This might be sarcasm.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#58 Posted: 02:54:44 22/05/2015
Quote: ShinkenRed
(had one tell me that TRU was running their games BOGO50% Off that week because they were getting out of the video game business...)

In my four years working for TRU, I can confidently tell you they're considering getting out of the video game business. Before S:SA came out, every store I visited was radically downsizing, or preparing to downsize, their electronics department. One of the managers at the store I worked at was even let go because E+E (Electronics and Entertainment) was condensed in to general Toys and no longer considered a department.

Since Skylanders, and Toys To Life as a whole, have reinvigorated sales to some degree they seem to have stalled their downsizing. However, I can attest to this, people do not go to TRU when they want to buy a video game. They go to Gamestop, Target, or Wal-Mart because one is a specialty store for games, and the other two they can do their general shopping at. People only come to TRU for games when there is a sale (Which is part of why TRU seems to have a BOGO on games or TTL figures every month) or when the other three stores sell out.

I agree with you, but TRU would make my Skylanders completion nearly impossible, save for possibly Amazon. Those two have saved my bacon too many times to recall.
wavesorcerer14 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4834
#59 Posted: 03:19:53 22/05/2015
Quote: TakeYourLemons
(had one tell me that TRU was running their games BOGO50% Off that week because they were getting out of the video game business...)

In my four years working for TRU, I can confidently tell you they're considering getting out of the video game business. Before S:SA came out, every store I visited was radically downsizing, or preparing to downsize, their electronics department. One of the managers at the store I worked at was even let go because E+E (Electronics and Entertainment) was condensed in to general Toys and no longer considered a department.

Since Skylanders, and Toys To Life as a whole, have reinvigorated sales to some degree they seem to have stalled their downsizing. However, I can attest to this, people do not go to TRU when they want to buy a video game. They go to Gamestop, Target, or Wal-Mart because one is a specialty store for games, and the other two they can do their general shopping at. People only come to TRU for games when there is a sale (Which is part of why TRU seems to have a BOGO on games or TTL figures every month) or when the other three stores sell out.

I agree with you, but TRU would make my Skylanders completion nearly impossible, save for possibly Amazon. Those two have saved my bacon too many times to recall.

Yeah, most of my Skylanders are from ToysRUs because the one closest to me usually gets all of the new things on time and because they have the biggest Skylanders section out of all of the video game stores near me. They have plenty of Skylanders from each game! Also I go in there a lot more than other video games stores because they have Barbie toys for my sister so she's usually okay with going.
---
"altissima quaeque flumina minimo sono labi."
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#60 Posted: 03:24:59 22/05/2015

Agreed. I've bought probably 90% of my Skylanders collection from TRU.
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#61 Posted: 06:19:05 23/05/2015
Quote: mastermc54
It's quite interesting that some people live in areas where there are barren displays like the OP and others still have good stock and ordering procedures which bring in new stock/current waves. Perhaps it is regional??? I'm the one who started a thread a few months back in the toys forum about the Walmart in Hamilton, NJ doing away with the Skylanders section completely. Since then, every Walmart I've been to in central NJ and the northeast US in general has been fairly unimpressive with Skylanders selection and little to no signs of current waves of figures. I've been to Walmarts in NY, CT, PA, and even stopped by one in Baltimore. If you do happen to have a Walmart which has a decent and current selection of Skylanders, please indicate which general area of the country you live in.

I'm from Ny and have seen the same in NJ and PA too.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#62 Posted: 06:23:44 23/05/2015

Agreed. I've bought probably 90% of my Skylanders collection from TRU.

I would say ive bought about 45 percent TRU, 25 percent target, 20 percent walmart and 10% covering bestbuy/gamestop and ebay.

Target seems to be good till around the final waves, walmart seems to be good as waves come out, TRU seems to be good overall, gamestop prob is about the same from what I hear but I don't shop there much outside of exclusives, and bestbuy for me is mostly the same as gamestop thou I recently got the gamers discount so its % will prob change in skylanders 5.
LloydDXZX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1637
#63 Posted: 16:32:02 23/05/2015
My walmart surprisingly got Enigma yesterday in Canada.
---
Imaginators is making it revive.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me